Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: EARS OF CORN  (Read 27840 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:EARS OF CORN
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2005, 01:58:43 PM »

Based on your review, DR MattH, perhaps I should get the recording...

I think it's Bob Merrill's best score. I know others might prefer TAKE ME ALONG, but I love all the music, and that cast - just sensational! I've used "Her Face" in auditions before because of Jerry Orbach's emotional rendition.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2005, 01:59:45 PM »

Big Brother 6 Spoiler:

Just as I feared/suspected, it seems April just cannot refrain from wanting to blab the new plan to Maggie.  She IS as stupid as I thought.  Stupid and meanspirited and a major gossip without a shred of remorse.

Maggie, meanwhile, is getting suspicious of all April's and Jenn's dartings into and out of the HOH room.

And Ivette has remarked to Maggie that April and Jenn won't look her in the eye, although April claims Ivette won't talk to her.  Maggie has decided to pack her bags along with Ivette.  I don't know what significance, if any, that has.  If Ivette walks out, will Maggie follow?  The entire house would rejoice!

I haven't read a word about James' reaction to any of it, so things will just have to play out.

It's nervewracking, is what it is!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 02:01:06 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2005, 02:03:00 PM »

Page 6 Dance!!!

FJL

« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2005, 02:05:10 PM »

DR Jason - Yes, it was great to see BAKER'S WIFE, in particular from a historical perspective.  Really enjoyed the score, thought it was too slight a story for its length.  I'm blind to any flaws where Alice Ripley is concerned, though.  And I thought Lenny Wolpe and Max Von Essen were super.

The friend I went with was a friend of Lenny Wolpe's, and Lenny walked us back to the train station.  It was great to see people stop Lenny along the walkway for autographs; he deserves even more recognition than he's gotten so far.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 02:07:08 PM by FJL »

Jason

« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2005, 02:10:24 PM »

I, too, thought Mr. Wolpe and Max were great. Max was actually singing with a paralyzed vocal cord if you can believe it. I rode back to the City with the cast and shared a van with Mr. Von Essen. He's really sweet, though at the time he was keeping quiet to save his voice. He was also dealing with a psycho VAMPIRES fan who kept sending him stuffed animals.

It wasn't me! I swear it!!

I've always loved THE BAKER'S WIFE, though I've always had problems with the idea that a whole town would fall apart based on their baker's productivity. That aspect of the story is a bit flimsy, but the score is wonderful and the new orchestrations sounded incredible. They're the ones we'll be licensing from now on.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2005, 02:11:22 PM »

Oh, CARNIVAL! is one of my all-time favorite shows seen in NYC. I was about 11 when I saw it, and I was enchanted from beginning to end. Couldn't wait to get the cast recording, and I played it until my family was so sick of hearing Anna Maria's voice that I could only play it when my dad was out of the house. Well, I guess "Mira" and "Yes, My Heart" would get old to someone who doesn't like show music and had to hear them dozens of times a day (at loud volume).

Several years ago, I played Jacquot in a local production.  I got to play the "Love Makes the World Go 'Round" theme on the accordion at the top of the show (I had actually taken accordion lessons many, many years ago ::)) and all the scenes with the puppets were quite fun!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 02:13:34 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2005, 02:13:39 PM »

Speaking of CINDERELLA, just bought tickets for the Paper Mill CINDERELLA and HELLO DOLLY, even though no one's saying who's playing Dolly.  

What I find amazing about the recording my aunt gave me is that I don't remember seeing the TV production in 1957 - I would have been the perfect age and my family usually made an "event" of that sort of thing.

The other amazing thing is the condition of these LPs.  So far, I've listened to Cinderella, Flower Drum Song, and My Fair Lady and they're all in remarkable shape.  They've probably moved from Indiana to Michigan to West Virginia to Arizona to Ohio over a period of almost 45 years.  
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #157 on: August 08, 2005, 02:14:15 PM »

DR Jason - I probably wouldn't be looking forward to CINDERELLA so much if it weren't for Gabriel Barre directing and Jennifer Paulson Lee being set to choreograph.  Skip worked with Gabe at Goodspeed oh so many years ago, and Jennifer Paulson Lee had done the musical staging and choreography for LAST STARFIGHTER at the Storm Theatre.  We loved working with her, and this is the first work of hers that I'm getting to see since having worked with her.  

And of course, there's Paolo Montalban as the prince.  I'm a big fan of his.  Not familiar with the work of the actress playing Cinderella, though.

Jason

« Reply #158 on: August 08, 2005, 02:19:08 PM »

I saw the Cinderella in LA CAGE. She played Ann. I loved Paolo in PACIFIC OVERTURES. He was one of the only things about that production that I liked. Of course, he ain't too hard on the eyes, either.

I normally wouldn't be so poo-pooish about CINDERELLA if it hadn't been for City Opera. Well...the AUDIENCE at City Opera to be more specific. I had such a miserable theatre-going experience with that show that I just can't seem to bring myself to want to see it ever again. Logically, I should just not want to go back to NYCO, but in my demented mind, I'm just turned off of that show. Ha!

Michael

« Reply #159 on: August 08, 2005, 02:22:54 PM »

I did move far away from my family and they've found their way up here! Mom and dad visited NY for the first time in February and now they're already talking about coming back in October. Of course, this time they want to bring 4 or 5 of their friends with them!

Is your apartment big enough?
Never stop dreaming.

FJL

« Reply #160 on: August 08, 2005, 02:24:35 PM »

DR Jason - Maybe you already know this, but Max Von Essen is going to be starring in UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG at the Two River Theater Co. in Red Bank, about an hour-fifteen train ride from Penn Station.  

Coincidentally, the friend I went to see BAKER'S WIFE with, Maureen Silliman, will be in UMBRELLAS with him.  And Heather Spore - the OTHER blonde in LAST STARFIGHTER who distracted the people in my office while you were distracted by the male blond :) - was offered the "Catherine Deneuve" role oposite Max Von Essen.  

So it's a small world all around.

Matt H.

« Reply #161 on: August 08, 2005, 02:25:40 PM »

I've never seen a stage version of CINDERELLA that satisfied me as much as either of the first two video versions of the show (they are quite different, of course, but I find them equally satisfying for different reasons. The Brandy version is best forgotten, at least by me).

FJL

« Reply #162 on: August 08, 2005, 02:27:18 PM »

Can I make it to 100 posts today, I wonder?  It would be nice to be a Full Member.  But do filler posts meant just to build up numbers of posts annoy other DR's?

Michael

« Reply #163 on: August 08, 2005, 02:28:36 PM »

Damn I just broke a cap! It feels so strange with nothing there.
Never stop dreaming.

FJL

« Reply #164 on: August 08, 2005, 02:31:26 PM »

Really sorry to have missed LA CAGE.  I had a ticket, but things just kept popping work-wise, getting in the way.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #165 on: August 08, 2005, 02:31:39 PM »

Damn, I Just Broke A Cap - that's the title of my next novel.

Just got a nice order for After the Ball from BC/EFA.

Michael

« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2005, 02:41:28 PM »

Just saw this on a David Winters Tribute Site, Date September 2003.

Phil Silvers of Sgt. Bilko fame and Edie Adams provided some of the comic relief, as did Bruce Kimmel. Bruce first met David when he was just 16 and was a dance student at David’s studio. Like Alan, Bruce would go on to dance for David in such shows as Donnie & Marie. A rather prolific actor, producer, composer, etc himself, Bruce has written two roma clef novels about a young boy growing up in LA during the 1950’s, Benjamin Kritzer and Kritzerland. In the third and final installment, due out next year, Bruce has promised to immortalize his favorite dance teacher, when Benjamin Kritzer starts his show business career by taking dance classes. We’ll keep you posted
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2005, 02:56:19 PM »

And so I did immortalize him in Kritzer Time.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #168 on: August 08, 2005, 03:06:59 PM »

Can I make it to 100 posts today, I wonder?  It would be nice to be a Full Member.  But do filler posts meant just to build up numbers of posts annoy other DR's?

Where milestones are concerned, we are a tolerant lot!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #169 on: August 08, 2005, 03:16:04 PM »

Just returned from a nice lunch with my friend Wes. I had an advocado and swiss cheese hamburger...he had one with tons of ham on it.

MBarnum

« Reply #170 on: August 08, 2005, 03:16:47 PM »

And now I am catching up on some DVD and CD burning.

Jed

« Reply #171 on: August 08, 2005, 04:00:25 PM »

I had an advocado and swiss cheese hamburger...

And I am now hungry again!  Thanks a lot, MBarnum! :D  Must exercise willpower to leave Ann's portion of leftover pizza (kippered salmon, mushrooms, green peppers, and red onion... yum!!!) where it is in the fridge, as I already had my share for lunch.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Cillaliz

« Reply #172 on: August 08, 2005, 04:22:02 PM »

BB6 Spoilers!!!

OMG!!! I never would have guessed that would happen. I've actually been working all day and had no idea till I got here. Thanks for the update. I couldn't get on the live feed last night. I'll try again tonight

Cillaliz

« Reply #173 on: August 08, 2005, 04:22:54 PM »

I think everyone here at HHW is deserving of special rats everywhere he goes.

Special RATS!!! not sure I can handle that one

Cillaliz

« Reply #174 on: August 08, 2005, 04:27:26 PM »

It is definitely corn time in Iowa. My home town had Corn Days over the weekend.  Anyway you can buy it on about any street corner right now. A dozen ears for $1.50  I may have to go get some.

Cillaliz

« Reply #175 on: August 08, 2005, 04:28:17 PM »

Speaking of milestones, if I go really crazy, I could make it to being a Goddess. I'm not sure I can go that crazy tonight

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: August 08, 2005, 04:31:47 PM »

Sleuthing is starting to pay off.  MBarnum found Randi Kallan, and I've got a message into her at her place of employment.  MBarnum has also found the person we hope is Colleen McLean (well, she IS Colleen McLean, we just don't know if she's OUR Colleen McLean).  He found a number on Phil Clark in NY that wasn't good, but he said in passing he'd try AFTRA but that it was hard to get info out of them.  I immediately called my friend at LA AFTRA, and within ten minutes I got a call from Phil, who's happily living in NY and who sounded just great.  Don't think he'll be able to get out here for the party, so I may go there for a little secondary mini-reunion with him and Kathy Fitzgerald, who was in the ensemble of Stages, and who's been in The Producers since the day it opened.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #177 on: August 08, 2005, 04:58:52 PM »

Big Brother 6 Spoiler:

Well, it has happened.  April could not keep a secret if her life depended upon it.  She has told Maggie of the changed plans.  Right now, Jennifer is trying to fill Maggie in on how it all happened.  Exposition and persuasion are not her strong suits.  Maggie is perturbed at what she is hearing.  Ivette has already filled her in on being given the cold shoulder since she was put up as a "pawn."  Maggie claims everyone on her "side" was granted two weeks immunity.  I believe the deal was between her and Howie and did not encompass Ivette, April, Beau and Jennifer.  I could be wrong.

Jenn keeps telling Maggie it's a done deal...that tomorrow, Ivette will be voted out.  Maggie wonders why James and Sarah were ever put up if the intention was to get rid of one of the "Disciples".

I wish someone who has seen it in all its tawdriness and glory would just drop in and explain it all to everyone...up to this point in time...and then let the game continue.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #178 on: August 08, 2005, 05:09:40 PM »

A lovely happy birthday for our lovey DerBrucer.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #179 on: August 08, 2005, 05:10:21 PM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Continued vibes to Derrek. He is still being prayed for around the U.S. by people who don't even know him.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up