Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HALF LOS ANGELES TIMES  (Read 12453 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE HALF LOS ANGELES TIMES
« on: March 13, 2011, 10:58:15 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes couldn't even be wrapped in the Half Los Angeles Times, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently looking for the other half of the Los Angeles Times because that's the half that always had "all the MOOS that's fit to print."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE HALF LOS ANGELES TIMES
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 10:59:17 PM »

And the word of the day is: BATTEN!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 11:39:34 PM »

Topic of the Day:  the only newspapers that my parents ever subscribed to were the local papers, and the only local paper that I can remember at all is The Olympian [formerly called The Daily Olympian, also known as The Daily O (oh), also known as The Daily Zero].  I think that my parents still subscribe to the paper edition, but I only subscribed for a couple of years when I had my own apartment for the first time in the mid-1990s.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 02:18:03 AM »

I did everything the way I wanted - I was in bed by ten-thirty.  And I have tossed, turned, turned, tossed, tried to clear my head, all to no avail.  And in four hours the telephonic device will ring and I will have to arise.  So much for good intentions.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 02:55:54 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ginny

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 04:09:31 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  I'm up early because I have to be in the Dayton 'burbs at 9am for an echocardiogram.  This is kind of like when I used to get up to go to work...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Michael

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 04:49:42 AM »

hello.

TOD
The Montreal Gazette is a joke. It is the worst "newspaper" I have ever seen. It has even stopped publishing a Sunday edition.
Never stop dreaming.

FJL

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 05:27:43 AM »

The dogs feel like they're getting breakfast early with the time change, so I guess it's good for them.  :)

KevinH

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 05:42:57 AM »

Greetings from Sarasota, Florida!   I'm here to see a certain singer-you may have heard of him--yes, Mr.Barrett is performing at the "Historic Asolo Theatre."  It's really quite a place--it was moved here from Italy.

My friend from Ft Lauderdale is here.  We went to see both performances yesterday.  Brent was accompanied on the piano by his longtime (since 1980, he mentioned during the show!) musical director, Christopher Denny.  

Brent really sounded great.  He sang several songs from his CDs, including "Sometimes a Day Goes By,"  "Anyone Who Loves," "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face,"  "They Called the Wind Maria," "Come Back to Me."  I was so happy he sang "Lucky to Be Me," which I've been enjoying on youtube for a while.   "You've Got That Thing" was a highlight, along with "Music of the Night."  He also left the Broadway-type songs for a rousing "Rhythm of the Night."  

The audience for the matinee was good, but there was a really enthusiastic group at the evening performance, which made it more fun for everyone, Brent included, from the looks of things.

KevinH

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 05:46:01 AM »

Well, I've got to go.  Today we're going to see Roslyn Kind in Clearwater.   

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 05:47:34 AM »

Good morning, all! I think I slept well. I did have one peculiar dream but it's far too vague now to recall anything about it. I hate these periods of time change. It takes me forever to adjust, so at the moment to  -my body clock - 6:30 is really 5:30, a time my body does not want to force itself out of bed, and gwtting used to this new time wll take m several weeks. I hate it.

Today, more Encores! Joshie told me to arrive around 11 today, after he and Rob Berman formalize the exit music and bows, which we will assemble today, so I have some Victor Herbert work to begin here.

My hometown newspaper was always a rag, only in the past thirty years it's lost any semblance of a newspaper and become a slave to its advertisers. When I was a child, I loved running through the paper looking at the photos, checking out the movies playing in the three theatres in my hometown, reading the comics I cared for and wondering why the ones I didn't had an audience and why,and scanning the want ads for pets, pianos, whatever caught my fancy.

The newspaper I loved was the morning Cincinnati Enquirer, because so much more happened in Cincinnati than in Middletown, OH, and Cincinnati had theatres with live actors and touring Broadway shows, not the piddly tours today, but huge national companies stopping in Cincinnati as one of their first touring stops. I loved the ads and the publicity, and if Middletown had three movie theatres, it seemed that Cincinnati had 300! So much for the good old days.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

KevinH

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 05:48:25 AM »

Congrats to DR Jose on your Arena Stage gig!  When I heard Oklahoma was coming back I decided I had to see it this time.  Hope I'll be able to see you while you're in the area!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 06:12:35 AM »

Oy!  I'm hoping I can stay away today after a restless night full od weird, odd dreams.  In one, I found myself having to drive to western Pennsylvania for some reason, and worried that the gas stations along the way would not accept any of my credit cards because I no longer lived in the state.  In another, I watched in amazement as an ocean liner came down my street and then began yelling "No! No! No!" as it's steel prow pointed towards my livingroom bay window and then crashed tough it and the walls of my house.  It passed trough leaving nothing but a frame.

No need for the Dream-o-matic 3000, DR JRand--I know these are anxiety dreams from all the worsening news from Japan.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 06:15:16 AM »

I didn't sleep well either. I guess it's anxiety about buying the new computers. I just bought the second one a few minutes ago. The laptop was yesterday and the desktop today.

In 3 weeks (or sooner if Dell works fast) we will be a Windows 7 home with two brand new computers.

Laura

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 06:21:23 AM »

Happy Pi Day!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 06:30:48 AM »

TOD:

When I was a youngen, my parents subscribed to the local South Jersey paper, the Courier-Post.  It was okay as far as local news was concerned (also movie listings and obituaries of people we knew), but it paled in contract to the two Philly papers, the Philadelphia Inquirer and the The Evening Bulletin.  Fortunately, the Courier did not publish a Sunday edition, so we would pick up both the Sunday Inquirer and Bulletin on our way home from church.  Those papers were a treasure trove every week, even during the summer months.  Huge comic sections with the Sunday strips printed in big bold panels.  Each paper had it's own Sunday magazine that focused on the Philadelphia area.  And the entertainment sections were always packed with features on movies and theatre.  The papers littered our livingroom throughout the day on Sundays, with everyone reading at least some portion of it.  It was a shared family experience that sometime lasted hours.

The Bulletin folded over twenty years ago.  And during the past ten years, the Inquirer has been sold and sold again, laying off more reporters and staff with each sale and whittling down its sections to the basics.  It's now just a shadow of its former self and barely takes me an hour to read though on Sunday mornings.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 06:33:51 AM »

Happy Pi Day!

And a Merry 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937 5105820974944592307816406286208998628034825342117 067982148086513!
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 06:35:52 AM »

I'm up (not that I've been asleep that much), have announced the new release, and am going back to bed until eight.

Kerry

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 07:06:04 AM »

Hello.  Just me here.  Goodbye.
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 07:11:34 AM »

My day has changed.

Joshie just called and said that he felt there wasn't much work to be done - cutting and pasting the bows - and he thought he and his intern Brandon could handle it. That's good for me, and I'm happy to have a day for personal business. I think I will wander down to Toyland, stop by my accountant, and pick up my 2010 taxes and pay for them.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:37:56 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 07:33:11 AM »

I went back to bed, realized I hadn't printed out the two dealer invoices and just got up again.

FJL

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 07:48:56 AM »

What is it about 7 p.m. that makes it such a popular L.A. time for dinner  (residual question that i meant to ask last night)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 08:05:57 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And there are a lot of boxes around me.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 08:14:09 AM »

As for me, I think I slept well last night. Of course, I wish I could have stayed in bed for another hour or two. Alas, I've already ran a few errands this morning, and I'm giving myself a nice little break before I have to run some more. And finish packing the rest of my stuff up.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 08:15:39 AM »

Roslyn Kind in Clearwater

Roslyn Kind IS Clearwater

Roslyn Kind if Clearwater

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 08:18:14 AM »

I liked the afternoon Indianapolis Times when I was growing up - it ceased publication in 1966.....the afternoon Indianapolis News ceased publication in 2002....we now have the Indianapolis Star a morning paper....owned and run by Gannett.....which means MOST of what is in it is nationwide CRAP with abou six pages of local news.

The movie ads are almost nil - when they used to cover two pages, especially on weekends....

Yes print newspapers are putting themselves out of business.

I also deal with the Greencastle Banner-Graphic during the summer when I am working at the theatre....a nice paper that is published Tues-Sat.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 08:22:49 AM »

Pssst!  Is BK around?  Is he happy or unhappy with me?

TOD:

Growing up we got two daily papers, a morning and an afternoon one...The Cincinnati Enquirer and the Cincinnati Post.  I read both.  I didn't subscribe to a newspaper until the LA HERALD-EXAMINER which was LA's afternoon paper.  I enjoyed it very much.  When it went down the tubes,  I subscribed to the LA TIMES, which I didn't enjoy as much, but I liked the sunday Times and the Calendar section.  When I moved to Kentucky I subscribed to The Lexington Herald-Leader.  I like having a physical paper with my breakfast.  This paper isn't a particularly good paper and it keeps get smaller and thinner every year.  Most of the real news I've read the day (or days) before online.  The herald is obsessed with University of Kentucky basketball and, during the season, those headlines dominate...even over news of national or worldwide interest.  Despite being within easy driving distance of Louisville and Cincinnati and many professional Arts venues and events, the paper dwells on local arts mostly, of an amateur nature -- lots of community theatre reviews.

I spend a great deal of time reading newspapers online, particularly British newspapers or linking to articles from major newspapers from places like the Huffington Post.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 08:23:23 AM »

I'm HAPPY with you.

FJL

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 08:24:14 AM »

Master food author and chef Michael Ruhlman included Skip's own recipe for Sourdough English Muffins in his column on making Eggs Benedict from Scrtach

At the link, you can Scroll down, Skip's recipe for the Sourdough English muffins is right under Marlene Newell's recipe for the Hollandaise.

http://ruhlman.com/2011/03/eggs-benedict-from-scratch.html

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2011, 08:24:42 AM »

Guess what I just got?  A telephonic call from the BofA lady who'd called last week trying to do some kind of program or whatever - she apologized and assured me I've been taken off all call lists.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up