Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHIMMY SHAKE  (Read 28696 times)

Emily

Re:THE SHIMMY SHAKE
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2004, 04:25:37 PM »

Favorite Show Songs of from Last Ten Years

A New Brain: "And They're Off!" "Sailing" "The Music Still Plays On" "I Feel So Much Spring"
Aida: "The Gods Love Nubia" "I Know the Truth"
Avenue Q: "Fine Fine Line" "Schadenfreude" "Fantasies Come True"
Bat Boy: "Comfort and Joy" "Three Bedroom House" "A Home for You"
Hairspray: "Without Love" "You Can't Stop the Beat"
Last Five Years: everything!  but especially "Shiksa Goddess" "Movin' Too Fast" "Climbing Uphill" "Nobody Needs to Know"
Songs for a New World: "Opening: A New World" "Stars and the Moon" "The World Was Dancing" "Hear My Song"
Parade: "The Old Red Hills of Home" "Come Up to My Office" "My Child Will Forgive Me" "All the Wasted Time" "This Is Not Over Yet"
Ragtime: "Prologue" "Wheels of a Dream" "Winter in New York" "Back to Before"
Man of No Importance: "Streets of Dublin" "Art"
Rent: "Seasons of Love" "Tango Maureen" "What You Own"
Tick... Tick... Boom!: "Therapy" "Why" "Louder Than Words"
Titanic: "Lady's Maid" "The Night Was Alive" "Doing the Latest Rag"
Urinetown: "Run Freedom Run" "Tell Her I Love Her" "I See a River"
Whistle Down the Wind: "Whistle Down the Wind"
Seussical: "Oh the Thinks You Can Think"
Wicked: "Defying Gravity" "What is this Feeling?"
Wild Party: "Wild Wild Party"
Your a Good Man Charlie Brown: (Revival) My New Philosophy
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2004, 04:26:42 PM »

Just wanted to mention that the ever luscious John Burke (from AMC) begins anchoring E! News Daily this week. I stopped watching the show when Steve Kmetko was let go, but I may tune in tonight to see how John does.

"ever luscious"... Yes he is!  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2004, 04:39:58 PM »

Congrats to DR Panni on her dealing with The Powers That Be!

-And best wishes to DR Charles Pogue for his dealings with The Powers That Be.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2004, 04:51:51 PM »

I will soon be heading to the historic Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood, Dear Readers.  When I originally purchased my ticket, the program was to be a screening of Cradle Will Rock, followed by a Q&A with Mr. Tim Robbins.  Subsequently, the program was changed to a double feature, with a screening of The Shawshank Redemption now first on the bill, then Mr. Robbins, followed by Cradle.

This is going to be one very long evening!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2004, 04:53:41 PM »

Man, I need READING MATTER.  

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2004, 04:57:37 PM »

Thanks for all the congrats, eveybody! What a pleasant surprise. I was expecting nothing of the kind. It's quite amazing to see so much good will being thrown my way. The time for the really big congrats, however, will be when the film (notice I say "when" not "if") is greenlit. At this point, I'm just relieved it's going forward.

And thank you for offering Doris Dowling copies of THE PARTY CRASHERS. (She's wasn't looking for a copy as far as I know - I think that was a bit of "Telephone" at work. One DR offered a copy, the next DR assumed she was looking for one.)  I'll let her know next time, but I don't think she's really up to it. She's not at all well and spends most of her time reading. We had a lovely visit.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2004, 04:58:01 PM »

Speaking of the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood, I should note that on Friday, January 30, they will be screening the 1986 version of The Fly.  For those Dear Readers unawares, our very own Dear Reader Charles Pogue has a writing credit for this motion picture entertainment.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2004, 04:59:12 PM »

READING MATTER, bk?

Panni

« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2004, 05:02:03 PM »

Enjoy the long movie evening, DR Jay!

Panni

« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2004, 05:03:30 PM »

What to do? I didn't have time for lunch today and am really hungry. Should I have a very late lunch or forget lunch altogether and have a very early supper?

[No one gave me advice on this important matter. So I had an early supper.]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 06:11:58 PM by Panni »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2004, 05:07:10 PM »

If Doris wants a copy JMK's would be better.....I can't imagine a performer not wanting to see herself....  But then....what do I know.

DRTD - I got my copy of SYMPATHETIC MAGIC today and read it. I am stunned.  I love this play.  I think I will start talking it up around Indy.  Maybe somebody smart will take me up on the offer!

And DRMattH - a Christopher Meloni pic of the week would be a nice addition to HHW!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 05:08:47 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2004, 05:15:17 PM »

If Doris wants a copy JMK's would be better.....I can't imagine a performer not wanting to see herself....  But then....what do I know.

Thanks,  JRand53 and JMK. I'll let her know.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2004, 05:28:53 PM »

Jose did you get the email I forwarded to you?

Jed

« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2004, 05:41:36 PM »

I'm sure I'm forgetting a number of things things, but off the top of my head...

Violet - "Luck of the Draw," "All To Pieces," "Look At Me"
Floyd Collins - "Riddle Song," "Daybreak"
Urinetown - "Don't Be the Bunny," "Act I Finale"
Wicked - "What Is This Feeling?," "The Wizard and I"
Avenue Q - "Everyone's A Little Bit Racist," "You Can Be as Loud as the Hell You Want (When You're Makin' Love)"
Hairspray - "The Big Dollhouse," "Mama, I'm a Big Girl Now"
Light in the Piazza - "Clara's Tirade"
Wild Party (LaChiusa) - "Queenie Was a Blonde"
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 05:44:38 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Danise

« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2004, 05:51:25 PM »

Good evening all!

First of all Congrats to Panni!  I just had to give you a karma point, in case it helps to have one more when the time comes for the discussion.  I hope it's ok to wish luck--or would it be more proper to say,  break a pencil lead (leg)?  Which ever, I hope for  the best for you!

I really despise car trouble. I'm so car ignorant, so when something's wrong, I'm pretty clueless what's happening. I'm at the mercy of whatever they want to tell me.

I am of the opinion that I have a something tattooed in very middle of my forehead.  You can’t read it.  I can’t read it but when I go into a car repair shop it blazes forth in glowing color:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=10]S U C K E R !!!![/size][/glow][/move]

I mean they tell you the what have you simply HAD to be repaired, what am I going to say?  Up that point I didn't even know I had a what have you.  Of course it has to be fixed.  

And the other problem being, if I have $100.00 put away for the repair, it will cost $200.00.  If I had $200.00 it would be $400.00.  You get the picture.  

One of the ways I got into big time debt was over car repairs that I'm still not so sure I even needed.  I had to have a car to get back and forth to work so they had me.

Thank goodness those days are behind me.  I am debt free and intend to try to stay that way (unless something important comes along like a house) for as long as I can.  Come on lotto!

I was told we had the Naked Cowboy (or his twin) in town today.  I didn't get to go check it out and I didn't have my camera with me either but should he still be there next week, I will try to get a snap shot or two.

There's not much else I can say for today.  

The laugh of the day came when I innocently asked where the rubber bands were that we got last week.  They had me convinced I had the box at  my desk.  It turned out it was not I but a co worker who had them.   I thought I was having a senior moment there for awhile because I remembered being handed the box but nothing after that.  

It turned out I had set them on my desk to answer the phone and the co worker had taken the said box and didn't return it.  At the time I must have thought I had put them away which was why I couldn't remember where that was  for the life of me today!

I  enjoyed the music from DOTV.  Being a Meat Loaf and Michael Crawford fan made it that much more enjoyable for me.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 05:58:39 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2004, 06:02:32 PM »

Well, I paid the $85 ($79 plus tax) just for the dealer to look at my car. >:( The problem is a "pressure feedback sensor" and a "PCV vacuum tube" (it's a small rubber tube that's attached to some vacuum pump in the car).  They both will need to be replaced soon, but I ain't got the $270 to do anything now.

Actually, the $270 quote included the $85 for the diagnostic, so now it'll only be $185.  I have to wait until I get my W2 form from the Washinton Center where I've worked backstage...not ushering:  load-in and load-out of shows, etc., so that I can get my income tax refund to pay for the thing.  This was supposed to be the first year that I didn't have to use my income tax refund to pay for anything on my car :'( (last year I had several services done at one time and wrote a check for $900!)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 06:03:32 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #166 on: January 12, 2004, 06:05:48 PM »

But, I've had ALL the recommended services done so it runs quite well, otherwise.  I intend to have this car for a long time.  The longest that I've had a car was 8 years (and that was with two engines--big mistake).  Anyway, it's better than paying $300+ a month for 4-6 years for a new car.  I don't need that!

Well, I'm off for a (supposed to be short) meeting at the Washington Center about the Tony Bennett concert that's happening in a couple of weeks and then I want to go to Seattle tonight.  I bought an import CD at the Seattle Tower Records for $26 for my niece's birthday, then went home and found (and got) a brand new copy on eBay for only $10.  Damn!  Why don't I check these things before hand.  Anyway, it's unopened and I have the receipt.  I'll return it and get my money back (hopefully) or at least a store credit.  That's okay, too (an Into the Woods reference).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 06:10:24 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #167 on: January 12, 2004, 06:07:33 PM »

Thanks for the wishes, Danise!
Whenever I go in to have anything done with my car I try not to dress too well and always state right off the top that I'm broke and just need for the thing to run without killing me or anybody else. I say this whether I'm broke or not. If they still tell me that the widgywoofwoof needs replacing (they can't resist, it's in their oil-tainted blood) then I ask (blink blink) "Well, will it run safely until I save up the money to have it fixed...sir?" if whatever it is, is really dangerous, they'll say no. But I've never yet had them say no.
I fully expect them to find something each time out because they ALWAYS do. I went in for a Smog Check when I first got to LA and when I came back to pick up the car they had a list of things which needed attention. And I had the car fully checked out before I left Colorado.

George

« Reply #168 on: January 12, 2004, 06:12:18 PM »

I didn't ask if it'll run until I can save money.  I told them that I can't afford it until I get my income tax refund.  This seems to be one of those problems that can wait...thankfully.

Danise

« Reply #169 on: January 12, 2004, 06:14:53 PM »

Your welcome, Panni!

I've tried the "Broke" story too.  I think they add 15% if it's one they've heard before.  I must not have been very inventive.  I always rated the extra 15%.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2004, 06:15:18 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]I finally get how this works![/move]

Colors?

Line through text.

Panni

« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2004, 06:16:33 PM »

Okay - the color didn't work, but the rest did. Hallellujah.

Jennifer

« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2004, 06:17:39 PM »

Good vibes to JMK.
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

(and for DR Laura II)
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 06:20:03 PM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2004, 06:23:27 PM »

Favorite Show Songs of from Last Ten Years

Avenue Q: "Fine Fine Line" "Schadenfreude" "Fantasies Come True"

And here I thought you were gonna say "My Girlfriend who is canadian". That song cracks me up :)

Oh and I LOVE "Fine Fine line". Made me cry the first 10 times I heard it, because I am living it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2004, 06:28:29 PM »

I guess we're just not havin' a posting frenzy today.  That's fine, we're still way above our low.  And maybe things will get wild when our late-night denizens show up, oh, yes, maybe things will get wild

Jennifer

« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2004, 06:29:44 PM »

The colors can be found right above the smilies (it says black with other colors listed below.

I should really do more  colors cause it makes me (and I'm hoping others happy).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 06:32:21 PM by Jennifer »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2004, 06:32:28 PM »

Ignore this post too.

Michael

« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2004, 06:34:05 PM »

Since I saw the revised version of Rags within the last ten years I am going to include the following

If We Never Meet Again (BK recorded this one and is not on the semi-original cast album. Unfortunatley the complete song is not used)

Children of the Wind
Nothing Will Hurt Us Again
Rags
Blame It On a Summer's Night
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 06:34:35 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2004, 06:37:39 PM »

It was TCB whom I thought wrote it.

That's in answer to Tom of Oz's question of several days ago about something I misread that Danise had posted.

But it could have been td, too.

They're both wild, full of abandon and incorrigible!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #179 on: January 12, 2004, 06:38:31 PM »

This "Shimmy" we're supposed to do:

I don't have a sister Kate to teach me.

Can I just watch "Dirty Dancing" and learn the Shimmy-Shanga?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up