Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: DUMBFOUNDED  (Read 27063 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:DUMBFOUNDED
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2006, 01:50:15 PM »

Next up was A CHARLIE BROWN VALENTINE recorded last night. Mostly recycled Schultz cartoon panels animated for TV, it had none of the freshness or sense of continuity that the best CHARLIE BROWN specials have.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2006, 01:51:17 PM »

Finished my afternoon with the always riveting THE SHIELD. Forrest Whitaker is certainly setting himself up for Emmy recognition for his outstanding work on this series this season. Every week the show grips one tighter and tighter in its spell. Amazing drama.

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2006, 02:13:37 PM »

Page Five Tigger and Rabbit Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2006, 02:41:58 PM »

"All alone, I'm so all alone . . . ."

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2006, 02:48:34 PM »

Since I'm invited to dinner tonight, I must make a quick exit from here, get some cleaning done, and then be on my way to dinner.

WBBL.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2006, 03:11:14 PM »

Once Rudy Galindo became a singles skater, he toiled mightily trying to break into the upper echelons of the senior men's division. It took him many years for the judges to take him seriously, and I think the year he won his national championship (and finished third in the world), they really had no choice. He skated a perfect program with difficulty to match all the world's best skaters and with an artistry that left them in the dust. (He skated to "Swan Lake" the year he won.)

I remember seeing that.... He was great..

Didn't he once do pairs with Kristi Yamaguchi?
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2006, 03:13:11 PM »

Listening to Robert Clary here at work... Somewhat quiet... Thanks DR George!!!

He really does have a nice voiice. Reminds of when he and Gloria Loring would sing on Days...

I do have the score of the song Gloria Loring and Carl Anderson released, Friends and Lovers.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2006, 03:22:38 PM »

Listening to Robert Clary here at work... Somewhat quiet... Thanks DR George!!!

He really does have a nice voiice. Reminds of when he and Gloria Loring would sing on Days...

I do have the score of the song Gloria Loring and Carl Anderson released, Friends and Lovers.

Glad you liked it!  Do you want any of his others?  You sent me three discs and I only sent you one.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2006, 03:24:05 PM »

My question is not for BK, but for SWoody or Jose or another of our fabulous cooks:

How to you keep pie meringue from getting weepy and from pulling away from the edge of the pie plate?

Umm...eat it? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #129 on: February 15, 2006, 03:32:48 PM »

Question: Where is DR Sandra?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2006, 03:34:31 PM »

Glad you liked it!  Do you want any of his others?  You sent me three discs and I only sent you one.

Do you have Sweeney Todd?

hmmmm

George said....
I also have Robert Clary's version on his CD, "Louis Lebeau Remembers Cole Porter, Not Stephen Sondheim (But Sings Their Songs Anyway)."

This would be good...

I also like surprises!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2006, 03:37:12 PM »

I remember seeing that.... He was great..

Didn't he once do pairs with Kristi Yamaguchi?

Yes...they won the national championship as a pairs couple.  BUT...Kristi was also skating female singles...and decided she would pursue that exclusively.

Galindo was devastated...on top of that, he lost several people very close to him, including two coaches, to AIDS.

For a kid from a San Jose trailer park, he had to have a huge heart, an indomitable will and an extraordinary spirit to succeed.  When he won the national title, his sister was his best friend AND coach.

I have always thought it paradoxical that someone like Michael Weiss, in his first years of national prominence, took such great pains to comport himself as butch/macho/straight, an effort that included toting his wife around and having her and their baby in the kiss-and-cry area with him after a performance.  His father was always at his competitions, and it was always mentioned that his dad owned a gym when the camera was placed on the father (as it always was).  His father, as it turns out, looks like a Marine drill sergeant.   At some point, though, Weiss seemed to stop worrying about such things...and his skating took on depth...it began to flow and he accentuated the more artistic elements he was always capable of.

Rudy Galindo probably never fooled anyone into believing he was straight and to his credit, he never wasted any energy trying.  Weiss exerted himself mightily simply not to be "presumed" gay.  Galindo simply skated and, seemingly, was held back because of the presumption (my opinion).

As MattH said, though, the time came when Galindo simply could NOT be denied.  I believe he is probably one of the most admired male skaters ever...for being who he is and bringing his own sensibilities onto the ice in his performances.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 03:41:40 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2006, 03:44:25 PM »

Do you have Sweeney Todd?

Several versions...even the Barcelona cast recording, sung in Catalan with a female Toby! ;)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 03:48:03 PM by George »

George

« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2006, 03:48:45 PM »

Added the unrated WHERE THE TRUTH LIES which is also being released that day.

Was this ever released into the theaters?  I don't ever remember seeing anything on it, other than it got an NC-17.  According to Amazon.com's Editorial Review:

Director Atom Egoyan's 2005 film Where the Truth Lies is laden with nudity, sex, violence, lies, blackmail, betrayal… and really, what more could you want? Other than some genuine tension, a more compelling story, and better acting, that is. In adapting Rupert Holmes' novel, the Cairo-born Egoyan ... has taken on a murder mystery with film noir elements that will leave many viewers wondering exactly "whodunit" until the final few scenes; and while that's surely a good thing, the ride itself simply isn't all that scintillating.

:o

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2006, 03:50:07 PM »

Thank you all for the job vibes over the last few days!  The HHW vibes do indeed have a miraculous power.  I got a call today..and I start Friday :)  The pay is slightly less than my previous position, but the chance to work in a more stable enviornment, and make a fresh start...I'm  very excited.

Tomovoz

« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2006, 03:55:00 PM »

Congratulations DR Ann.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2006, 03:56:48 PM »

Evening folks!

We went from the upper 20's to the high 60's all in one day!  It's 68 degrees F as I type this and I am grateful!   :D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2006, 03:59:55 PM »

DR DakotaCelt, I've been meaning to tell you that I am also a Dr. Who fan.  Tom Baker is my favorite doctor.  

Also, I was born in raised in Tampa, Florida.  I've never seen snow.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2006, 04:01:53 PM »

Great news, Ann!!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2006, 04:03:12 PM »

And the word of the day is: CHICANERY!

Is that the film with Catherine Zeta-Jones and Richard Gere?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Danise

« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2006, 04:04:34 PM »

Congrats to DR Ann!!!  I hope you are very happy with your new job.  Sometimes money isn't everything.  Some of the best jobs I've had were the lowest paying.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2006, 04:08:48 PM »

Oh re: last night's American Idol. Did anybody else get teary when the 3 cowboys said goodbye?  That little one is so sweet, even though he can't sing.  I actually got tears when he kept saying how he let the others down.  And the tall one kept saying how it was important to try their hardest and that was all they could do.  It was sort of sweet.

Gee, thanks for the <Spoiler Warning> Jennifer.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2006, 04:08:53 PM »

Great news, Ann!! ;D

Tomovoz

« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2006, 04:14:07 PM »

Good to see you on the board DR Danise. Hope the news is better for you and yours.
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2006, 04:17:43 PM »

Hi DR Tom!!

Everything is going fine, so far!  I had my Preop today and after some discussion, I will be staying one night in the hospital.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: February 15, 2006, 04:23:24 PM »

Was this ever released into the theaters?  I don't ever remember seeing anything on it, other than it got an NC-17.  According to Amazon.com's Editorial Review:

Director Atom Egoyan's 2005 film Where the Truth Lies is laden with nudity, sex, violence, lies, blackmail, betrayal… and really, what more could you want? Other than some genuine tension, a more compelling story, and better acting, that is. In adapting Rupert Holmes' novel, the Cairo-born Egoyan ... has taken on a murder mystery with film noir elements that will leave many viewers wondering exactly "whodunit" until the final few scenes; and while that's surely a good thing, the ride itself simply isn't all that scintillating.

:o

Yes, DR George, it played in Manhattan.  I meant to get to it, but . . .
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: February 15, 2006, 04:24:31 PM »

Thank you all for the job vibes over the last few days!  The HHW vibes do indeed have a miraculous power.  I got a call today..and I start Friday :)  The pay is slightly less than my previous position, but the chance to work in a more stable enviornment, and make a fresh start...I'm  very excited.

DR Ann, that's great!  What's the job?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #147 on: February 15, 2006, 04:28:28 PM »

Hi DR Elmore!  Staying warm?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #148 on: February 15, 2006, 04:28:55 PM »

Congratulations to DR Ann!

Onward and Upward!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #149 on: February 15, 2006, 04:29:53 PM »

Gee, thanks for the <Spoiler Warning> Jennifer.

Hmmmm...does this mean we shouldn't say that the Russian pair won the gold medal Monday night?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up