Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: A PLETHORA OF PILES  (Read 85550 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:A PLETHORA OF PILES
« Reply #330 on: August 15, 2007, 08:24:34 PM »

Well, is she still in a box somewhere?

I suspect she took the box with her.

I'm back from another dreadful Fringe production!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #331 on: August 15, 2007, 08:25:24 PM »

George, I followed your link to the Young Frankenstein web site. and checked out the ticket prices....

OUCH!!!

I hope a friend gets a spot in the pit and smuggles me in one night

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #332 on: August 15, 2007, 08:25:30 PM »

Fletcher has been making a constant pain of himself by knocking over a box of "stuff" sitting by the computer desk; I finally decided to empty the box once and for all. The box contained some misc CDs I had ordered from bk and I stacked a few of them in a "Divas do B'Way" pile for later listening. Well Woody, having nothing better to do on his morning off, grabbed one of the top of the stack - soon he was back with "You gotta hear this arrangement by Larry"; later, says I, let's play it on the trip to Dover.

Well, as Michael S and George, among others will appreciate, I discovered what is probably the best produced compilation CD album I own - Laurie Beechman - "No One Is Alone". listening to this disc is like browsing through a collection of rare books - each in its own unique binding, each crafted with style and loving care, the single unifying theme being the love and care used in their creation. Who would have thought an orchestrator could blend a Bernstein from Candide and one from West Side Story into a soaring duet; and imagine a fairly standard "You'll Never Walk Alone" suddenly break out with a full gospel choir joining a full-throated orchestra, but never leaving the star behind!

For ask BK day:

The "You'll Never Walk Alone" track is one the best produced cuts I've heard - how did you manage to pull all of those elements together?

der Brucer

I had an idea to do a multi-singer album of songs of faith, hope, and inspiration from Broadway shows.  I was walking down B'way with Laurie and telling her about it, and she grabbed me and said she had to do it - as a solo album.  Everyone is probably aware that she was fighting her battle with cancer, and it was very personal to her, and I said yes immediately.  She and Lanny Meyers and I put it together very fast.  She and I pretty much chose the songs, the Lanster and I did the arrangements (in the days when I wasn't taking arrangement credit, despite doing most of them), and the sessions were the most magical ever - she was just on a cloud the entire time.  The elements of You'll Never Walk Alone were recorded separately - orchestra, lead vocal, and choir.  Then Vinnie and I did our thing.  The whole album is intensely moving, I think.

vixmom

« Reply #333 on: August 15, 2007, 08:26:18 PM »

Well actually I just hope a friend gets a spot in the pit...
"me smuggling" would be secondary

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #334 on: August 15, 2007, 08:27:51 PM »

Well actually I just hope a friend gets a spot in the pit...
"me smuggling" would be secondary

Sure.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

vixmom

« Reply #335 on: August 15, 2007, 08:27:56 PM »

I suspect she took the box with her.

I'm back from another dreadful Fringe production!

Larry you really MUST stop repressing your thoughts... tell us what you really think

:-*

vixmom

« Reply #336 on: August 15, 2007, 08:29:04 PM »

Cillaliz

« Reply #337 on: August 15, 2007, 08:31:02 PM »

Boo has finally really calmed down after her great adventure with the bat. She is curled up on my lap. Her claws are very sharp, I hadn't realized that - no wonder it only took one swipe to get the bugger.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #338 on: August 15, 2007, 08:31:11 PM »

Well... Why else do you think I asked what his last name was? -And how he spelled it?  ;)

Hmmmmmm. Slowing down, are we?

Hi, Joy!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #339 on: August 15, 2007, 08:31:51 PM »

The whole album is intensely moving, I think.

And a lasting tribute to a special talent!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

vixmom

« Reply #340 on: August 15, 2007, 08:32:39 PM »

Anybody know how to quickly "flatten" some coca cola?

The Vixter is complaining of tummy ache and I remember my mother giving me flat cola to ease the problem and it always seemed to work....

Of course we usually had a plethoa of flat cola as my brother couldn't  (still can't) close a soda bottle properly and all the "fizz" would always escape

« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 08:33:42 PM by vixmom »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #341 on: August 15, 2007, 08:33:08 PM »

I decided to pop in and say hey because a little bird (2 little birds, actually) shared some of BK's casting woes with me and I was curious to see how it was going with BRAIN casting.  I've been catching up and I have to say, BK, I feel for you.  The process is frustrating enough without all the insanity you've been dealing with.  If it makes you feel any better, you're not the first person who has had certain experiences with a certain performer whose name may or may not rhyme with Zandria McFardel.  I would have tried to talk you out of it.  But that's just me.

At any rate, BK, if there's anything I can do for you to make this easier, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me.  I'm sure your CD has done his best and I'm sure there are two sides to every conflict, but I have to say there are certain aspects of your casting troubles that seem really odd to me.  Naturally I'm not about to step on any toes, but I'd be happy to offer any assistance that would be helpful and appropriate.

In other news... had a great day with DR Jose at ANGRY HOUSEWIVES auditions today.  Our monitor was a delight and we had a good time listening to lots of interesting renditions of pop, rock, and country songs.  EPAs can be draining, but this was a great day thanks to having cool people to work with.  

I don't know if it's anything but a string of bad timing, really - while I had issues with our casting guy, I know he's been trying really hard lately, and I've certainly seen all the correspondence that's coming back from agents.  

And the reality is we've actually only offered to four women and five men.  Of the four women, two had young babies and child care issues that couldn't be surmounted, one was the actress you mention (and yes, I learned a valuable lesson during the wasted week), and one had conflicts during the run.  Of the five actors, one had LA commitments, one was in Europe (so the offer doesn't even really count), one wanted to do it until he was offered Die Mommy Die at the last minute, one booked a commercial shooting in China during our week of performances (the candidate who would have done the show instantly), and one got a paying off-B'way gig.  

It's a little nutty for me trying to cast a) from long distance, and b) have people pitched to me that have nice names and good credits, but who I have no clew as to what they sound like or how they act and if they can do humor.  

Give me a call if you like or drop me an e-mail and I can certainly be more specific, and I'd certainly be grateful for any suggestions - at this point desperation is setting in, which is not the best way to cast.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 08:40:30 PM by bk »

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #342 on: August 15, 2007, 08:33:14 PM »

What am I, chopped liver?

Silly girl, of course you are the brain behind the "Brain" of "The Brain."
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

Cillaliz

« Reply #343 on: August 15, 2007, 08:33:53 PM »

Vixmom, I think warm (as in room temperature) coca cola works  the same. At least that's what I was told

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #344 on: August 15, 2007, 08:33:59 PM »

Thanks, Cillaliz. He informed the steward on Sunday that he wants access to the property until the vacation is over. So I guess asking him for the keys is a moo point (a "Friends" reference).
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #345 on: August 15, 2007, 08:34:10 PM »

Hi Elmore!  How's tricks?  What was the Fringe show?  I still haven't gone through my industry packet to see which ones I want to see yet, so I could use some guidance... that is a HUGE packet...
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #346 on: August 15, 2007, 08:34:23 PM »

I began the first chapter of THE DEATHLY HALLOWS. It's sad starting what I know is the last book. After this, no more new Harry Potter adventures. [sigh]
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #347 on: August 15, 2007, 08:36:16 PM »

I began the first chapter of THE DEATHLY HALLOWS. It's sad starting what I know is the last book. After this, no more new Harry Potter adventures. [sigh]

My listening-while-driving has me through Chapter 10.  That Jim Dale's really something!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #348 on: August 15, 2007, 08:36:48 PM »

I managed to squeeze in a little nap late in the afternoon, too. That 35 minutes was very nice.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #349 on: August 15, 2007, 08:38:22 PM »

And the folks that we HAVE cast are great - all our LA folk, Barry Pearl, Steve Luker, and a rather brilliant ensemble of B'way vets including the tallest Asian girl I've ever laid eyes on - she was in The Producers from the start and is in the film - Naomi Kakuk - pretty terrific.  And I'm happy to say that her wedding occurs close to the end of our second week of rehearsals.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #350 on: August 15, 2007, 08:38:55 PM »

Joy, do you have my telephonic number?

Matt H.

« Reply #351 on: August 15, 2007, 08:39:08 PM »

My film tonight was Jacques Tati's PLAYTIME. Lots of fun and so visually interesting that having no plot made no difference at all. Really enjoyed seeing it looking so sharp and such a clean print. The sound was kind of weak stereo, disappointing since it could have been mixed with a much more interesting sound design.

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #352 on: August 15, 2007, 08:40:42 PM »

And the folks that we HAVE cast are great - all our LA folk, Barry Pearl, Steve Luker, and a rather brilliant ensemble of B'way vets including the tallest Asian girl I've ever laid eyes on - she was in The Producers from the start and is in the film - Naomi Kakuk - pretty terrific.  And I'm happy to say that her wedding occurs close to the end of our second week of rehearsals.

Can she speak Japanese?  
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

Matt H.

« Reply #353 on: August 15, 2007, 08:41:17 PM »

I had had PLAYTIME on my shelf for the better part of a year and had just been putting it off. So glad I watched it tonight.

I watched the unnecessary Terry Jones introduction AFETR I watched the movie. (Talk about spoilers giving away peak moments!0

There isn't a running commentary for the entire film but rather commentary broken into six or so parts. I listened to all of those, and it was very interesting and illuminating commentary.

vixmom

« Reply #354 on: August 15, 2007, 08:41:32 PM »

JOY!!!!!

You have been missed

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #355 on: August 15, 2007, 08:41:38 PM »

Enjoy it - I blazed through the last half of the book on my flight out here.  Pretty brilliant.

Matt H.

« Reply #356 on: August 15, 2007, 08:42:38 PM »

Waiting for the TV show I was planning to watch to come on, I put in MURDER SHE SAID, Margaret Rutherford's first (and best) Miss Marple film. I only got about 15 minutes in, but I'll enjoy finishing it tomorrow as I cook and eat lunch.

Matt H.

« Reply #357 on: August 15, 2007, 08:43:41 PM »

Enjoy it - I blazed through the last half of the book on my flight out here.  Pretty brilliant.

Thanks. I thought THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE was her best book, so I'm equally encouraged about the quality of this last tome.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #358 on: August 15, 2007, 08:44:35 PM »

Hi Elmore!  How's tricks?  What was the Fringe show?  I still haven't gone through my industry packet to see which ones I want to see yet, so I could use some guidance... that is a HUGE packet...

"PB&J" was the show, and I think it wants to be a farce but the playwright is too inexperienced to know that farce is heartless and fast. The play, which deals with castration, goes soft [no pun intended] and sentimental in Act Two, the scene changes are too long, the text needs pruning, the direction has no style and several actors are contending for the title of Worst Actress Ever in a Fringe production.  Interestingly, the worst one has her Equity card.  Too bad she can't fuck the audience.

In a city of many unemployed actors, some quite good, the funniest actress plays Cherie the whore from Quebec with great timing and the lousiest French dialect I've ever heard.  Her r's are all wrrrrrrong; they should be wight.  Ben and Anthony and I had a friend in the play and he did a professional turn in an embarassing production.

Matt H.

« Reply #359 on: August 15, 2007, 08:44:44 PM »

RESCUE ME had a bunch of surprising plot shifts tonight. Probie Mike continues to be a favorite; I have felt so sorry for him these last few weeks, and I can't believe he hasn't received a lot more support from the guys.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18   Go Up