Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SODA POP  (Read 11361 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: SODA POP
« Reply #150 on: August 15, 2012, 05:59:38 PM »

For those who might be fans, the entire run of the old tv series MR LUCKY and PETER GUNN are releasing on DVD in October.

I can remember watching both during summer breaks back in my high school days. They aired on a UHF station at around 3 am or some such time.

Now, if someone would just release the series THE MILLIONAIRE!

I am very sorry, MBarnum, that Craig Stevens is no longer with us.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Danise

« Reply #151 on: August 15, 2012, 06:00:18 PM »

Soda or Pop or Soda Pop?  I tend to use them all interchangeably.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #152 on: August 15, 2012, 06:03:21 PM »

All this drink talk begs the question of what you call them. As Doug R mentioned, soft drinks was one term we used. Or "Coke" as a generic for all soft drinks. Who uses pop? Or soda? Or what?

The other East Coast term I had to learn...  Do you want a soda or what?  Do you want coffee or what?  I was always pissing off my co-workers by opting for "what."
“One thing’s universal,

Danise

« Reply #153 on: August 15, 2012, 06:04:13 PM »

I put the Thunder Shirts on the dogs because we had a good storm when I got home from work and all joking aside, they really did seem to work.  Both dogs still wanted to be with me but neither were shaking in fear like they usually do.

Poor Sheena with her foot/leg.  I know she doesn't like to have it wrapped like that but it has to be that way.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #154 on: August 15, 2012, 06:05:37 PM »

All this drink talk begs the question of what you call them. As Doug R mentioned, soft drinks was one term we used. Or "Coke" as a generic for all soft drinks. Who uses pop? Or soda? Or what?

Coke as a generic?  I have only heard of Cola as a generic. Coke is Coca-Cola to me.

It seemed every time we moved I had to call it something different, usually between pop or soda.  I'm so confused now. ;)

Coke is very much a generic term for cola; just as 7-Up is generic for lemon-lime soda.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2012, 06:06:17 PM »

Danise - i know it's silly, but I have my note to be sending mental vibes at 10:30.  They may not help, but know that there's love for you coming from NYC.
  Thank you so much for the thoughts and the love DR FJL!   :)  I have to say that I think the interview went very well.  I may have to go back for a 2nd interview because they said they had called a lot of people on the list and will be narrowing it down to the top five.  Then they will call them in for the final interview.   

Not to brag, but I wouldn't be very surprised if I was among the five.  :) 

I found out the job would be in the benefits section of the Sheriffs office.  One thing she mentioned was they want someone who could do presentations of the benefits. That's right up my alley and I was quick to tell her that. 

Anyway I have time to think about it.  I won't know anything until late next week about the second interview but I was promised I would be called either way.

Whatever happens this is great! 

Jane

« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2012, 06:06:55 PM »

Thank you all for good wishes about the job.  We shall see what we shall see but I am hopeful!

CONTINUED VIBES WHATEVER IS BEST FOR YOU HAPPENS!!!

ChasSmith

« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2012, 06:07:11 PM »

Just remembered another one -- when I discovered Mountain Dew (high school years) I thought it was the greatest thing, and drank it for a while, then pretty much forgot about it for years.  When Pepsi brought out their "Throwback" (original sugar formula) Pepsi and Mountain Dew a few years ago, I sampled a contemporary and Throwback Mtn. Dew side by side.  Not a blind test or anything close, but the Throwback won hands down.  And the Throwback Pepsi?  Delicious.  In fact, it's SO good that I can love the occasional one almost as much as a Mexican Coke.  Almost.

ChasSmith

« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2012, 06:08:03 PM »

I'll have the what.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2012, 06:08:03 PM »

Did they sell Green River in other parts of the country, or is that only a Northwest drink.  For years it was only available as a fountain drink, but it may be bottled by now.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2012, 06:08:03 PM »

Travel vibes to Mike Shayne

DITTO!!!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2012, 06:08:27 PM »

The other East Coast term I had to learn...  Do you want a soda or what?  Do you want coffee or what?  I was always pissing off my co-workers by opting for "what."
I'm sure you enjoy doing that, too.  ;)
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2012, 06:09:08 PM »

Vernor's has had such a cult following over the years, thanks to its unavailability in the places so many people from the Midwest have moved to.  And boy, talk about the pleasure of sipping from a chilled glass bottle -- there was nothing like that first "sting" of Vernor's, for the longest time the only ginger ale to actually have the taste of ginger.

Nowadays, the many "ginger beers" on the market have a much stronger bite and fuller flavor than Vernor's, but it's still a nostalgic treat to have it when I'm in Ohio.

Vernors used to be my ginger ale of choice, but in the last ten years or so, I've preferred Canada Dry.

Here's a question for BK or anyone?  Does anyone else think that sodas do not taste as good from a can as when they all came out of a bottle?  I'm drinking some Barq's root beer right now and I remember this stuff tasting a whole lot better when I was a kid and drank it from a bottle.  Is it my aging taste buds or is it the lack of a bottle?

It's been a long time since I've had any soda from a glass bottle, but I don't really like plastic bottles.  They warm up the soda too quickly.  I drink a lot of diet Pepsi in cans, but for the most part, both diet Coke and diet Pepsi are very good from fountains...although I do prefer diet Pepsi.

If the fountain is regulated properly I agree it is the best way to have a Pepsi, and when I was young a root beer.  The root beer had to be served in a proper glass mug that had been chilled.

Jane

« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2012, 06:10:37 PM »

I had an addiction to Pepsi which I finally got under control years ago.  After that I drank Orange Crush until my stomach protested and I had to give up all fizzy drinks.  Pepsi now has mini cans & once in awhile I'll treat myself to half a mini can.

My aunt will open a can of cola and put it in the fridge until it's no longer fizzy. :-\

She's always done it that way...it's how she likes it. 

:P

I pour a little at a time to keep the fizz fresh.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #164 on: August 15, 2012, 06:11:03 PM »

On special occasions and holidays when I was a youngen, we would get a case of assorted flavors of soda from Crescent Beverages, a local company in Camden.  Aside from the standard flavors like cola, ginger ale and "7-up", they also had these incredible neon-colored concoctions such as lime, cherry and pineapple.  My favorite, though, was their cream soda.  I've found nothing else that has come close to that smooth flavor.

Another favorite of mine was from Frank's Sodas, another local company.  Black Cherry Wishniak.  Powerful cherry flavor and, like Coke, you didn't dare spill any of that on a car--it would eat right through the paint job!

Brookdale Soda in New Jersey has all those neon flavors.  My favorite was Birch Beer.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2012, 06:11:24 PM »

Thank You all for the condolences. I just checked on Facebook, and it was nice to see so many posts about Jimmy's passing from friends, colleagues and teachers.
  So sorry about your loss, DR Jose.  We have a lady at work who just lost her husband today.  Sad that the doctors thought he was going to make and told her so but then he went down hill very fast.

Sad.  Vibes of comfort for your co-worker & her family.

Jane

« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2012, 06:12:15 PM »

Danise - Was there any trouble getting any for the time on the phone?
  No, I just took my break and it may have run over a bit (about 10 minutes) but no one said anything.  I would have put it down as vacation time if I had to.

Couldn't you have just shortened your lunch by ten minutes?

Jane

« Reply #167 on: August 15, 2012, 06:12:47 PM »

Thank You all for the condolences. I just checked on Facebook, and it was nice to see so many posts about Jimmy's passing from friends, colleagues and teachers.
  So sorry about your loss, DR Jose.  We have a lady at work who just lost her husband today.  Sad that the doctors thought he was going to make and told her so but then he went down hill very fast.

Danise, that's terrible!
   I'm not sure what the surgery was for but they say that anything can go wrong when you are put under.

So sad but true.

Jane

« Reply #168 on: August 15, 2012, 06:14:09 PM »

When I was very young, the only pop we had was Kool Aid or Fizzies.  The first actual pop (in bottles) was Honey-Dew, which came in assorted flavors like cherry, orange, cream soda, etc.

My parents did limit the amount of soda we could have.  My addiction to Pepsi came later, and if I had known it was addictive I would have avoided it in the first place.

Jane

« Reply #169 on: August 15, 2012, 06:15:24 PM »

I put the Thunder Shirts on the dogs because we had a good storm when I got home from work and all joking aside, they really did seem to work.  Both dogs still wanted to be with me but neither were shaking in fear like they usually do.

Poor Sheena with her foot/leg.  I know she doesn't like to have it wrapped like that but it has to be that way.

That's great the shirts worked.  I know a lot of people who like them.

Jane

« Reply #170 on: August 15, 2012, 06:18:27 PM »

Coke as a generic?  I have only heard of Cola as a generic. Coke is Coca-Cola to me.

It seemed every time we moved I had to call it something different, usually between pop or soda.  I'm so confused now. ;)

Coke is very much a generic term for cola; just as 7-Up is generic for lemon-lime soda.

I'm sorry, I completely disagree.  If I order a 7-Up I had been not be given a generic lemon-lime soda without asking me.

Often, if you order a Coke they will say they have Pepsi & ask if that is ok.  The same is true if you ask for a Pepsi & they only have Coca-Cola.

Danise

« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2012, 06:18:56 PM »

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #172 on: August 15, 2012, 06:18:58 PM »

I quit drinking any cola drinks about twenty five years ago.  Now I stick to lemon-lime drinks ususally mixed with cranberry juice cocktail.  Sometimes just club soda.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #173 on: August 15, 2012, 06:19:44 PM »

I would agree Cola is the generic word for cola's ;)

Danise

« Reply #174 on: August 15, 2012, 06:19:52 PM »

Both are sleeping right now.  I guess they feel safe in their shirts.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:21:47 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

ChasSmith

« Reply #175 on: August 15, 2012, 06:24:09 PM »

Vernor's has had such a cult following over the years, thanks to its unavailability in the places so many people from the Midwest have moved to.  And boy, talk about the pleasure of sipping from a chilled glass bottle -- there was nothing like that first "sting" of Vernor's, for the longest time the only ginger ale to actually have the taste of ginger.

Nowadays, the many "ginger beers" on the market have a much stronger bite and fuller flavor than Vernor's, but it's still a nostalgic treat to have it when I'm in Ohio.

Vernors used to be my ginger ale of choice, but in the last ten years or so, I've preferred Canada Dry.

Here's a question for BK or anyone?  Does anyone else think that sodas do not taste as good from a can as when they all came out of a bottle?  I'm drinking some Barq's root beer right now and I remember this stuff tasting a whole lot better when I was a kid and drank it from a bottle.  Is it my aging taste buds or is it the lack of a bottle?

It's been a long time since I've had any soda from a glass bottle, but I don't really like plastic bottles.  They warm up the soda too quickly.  I drink a lot of diet Pepsi in cans, but for the most part, both diet Coke and diet Pepsi are very good from fountains...although I do prefer diet Pepsi.

If the fountain is regulated properly I agree it is the best way to have a Pepsi, and when I was young a root beer.  The root beer had to be served in a proper glass mug that had been chilled.

Yes!  The only proper way to drink root beer is in a chilled glass mug.

A&W served it that way in their drive-ins, btw.  Now you go to a modern A&W and they hand you a paper cup.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #176 on: August 15, 2012, 06:24:59 PM »

Using his formal name, I guess I would be Czar Nicholas Pearl.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #177 on: August 15, 2012, 06:26:09 PM »

Having been born and raised on the West Coast, the drink was always called pop to me.  It was only when I moved to New Jersey that I had to get used to calling it soda (or in NJ - "soder").  When my dear mother came east in the middle of August to visit me, she learned the lesson quickly.  Stepping into a McDonald's in the Village, she checked the reader board and saw on the lists of sodas, that they had Root Beer.  When they handed her the cup, she looked at it and said, "Where's the ice cream?"  I don't know who was more confused, my mom or the McDonald's employee. 

<A Root Beer Soda!>

Funny, except......

That would have been a root beer float.  Soda would be the ice cream or sherbet with soda water.

Not in Washington.  They were called root beer floats or root beer sodas.
“One thing’s universal,

Danise

« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2012, 06:27:31 PM »

Danise, that's terrible!
   I'm not sure what the surgery was for but they say that anything can go wrong when you are put under.

So sad but true.
  That's why I was getting nervous when I was having so many surgeries one after the other a couple years back.  I know that anesthesia stays in your system for months afterwards.  I was scared I was building to much up.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2012, 06:28:31 PM »

Both are sleeping right now.  I guess they feel safe in their shirts.

:)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up