Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IMPROMPTU  (Read 15130 times)

FJL

Re: IMPROMPTU
« Reply #180 on: November 08, 2010, 07:16:51 PM »

Great news, Michael S!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #181 on: November 08, 2010, 07:18:32 PM »

I got a great phone call tonight.

A local theater (One in Fort Lauderdale) wants to do a reading of my play in January or February of next year.

I get to direct the reading as well.

Excellent!!  Congratulations!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #182 on: November 08, 2010, 07:19:28 PM »

well Imust toddl eoff to dreamland

good night all
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #183 on: November 08, 2010, 07:27:16 PM »

A local theater (One in Fort Lauderdale) wants to do a reading of my play in January or February of next year.

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: November 08, 2010, 07:27:33 PM »

I wish Elmnore would tellus how the recording session went to day and tell us how DAW and Jason are doing

DR vixmom, I can't. I'm seeing them on Thursday.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: November 08, 2010, 07:28:41 PM »

And JMK - also thank Lydia, whoever she is 

Who is Lydia?

Wasn't she a tatoo lady?

You're about three hours too late. :D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:53:09 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #186 on: November 08, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »

Congrats Michael S!!

Laura

« Reply #187 on: November 08, 2010, 07:29:40 PM »

Congratulations, Michael S!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Cillaliz

« Reply #188 on: November 08, 2010, 07:30:22 PM »

You don't get Texas Toast in New York?

the Texas Toast we get here is inthe freeser sectionand it is garlic cheesy bread - we do not get loaves of double thick wheat bread marketed as Texas Toast -- do you have it there?

If we do have it, it's not wheat bread, it's white bread...

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #189 on: November 08, 2010, 07:32:34 PM »

We will accept less than perfect photos, JohnG.
after I get back. The Wi-Fi connection is way toooo slow.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #190 on: November 08, 2010, 07:38:15 PM »

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S
Couldn't have said it better. Keep us posted on when it happens.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #191 on: November 08, 2010, 07:43:42 PM »

Congratulations!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #192 on: November 08, 2010, 08:45:19 PM »

Good Evening!

Well... Earlier tonight I actually got to hear the original Genevieve in The Baker's Wife, Carole Demas, since "Meadowlark".

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #193 on: November 08, 2010, 08:47:34 PM »

And, Marc Moritz, the "Talk Show Host"/Alex from the original cast of Merrily We Roll Along spoke too.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #194 on: November 08, 2010, 08:48:28 PM »

I would like to remind all NW HHW-ers (as well as any other adventurous souls) that we're having a dinner party for BK on November 12.  So far, only one RSVP, which seems unseemly.  :) 

Am I the one??  Also...I need details!  What time should I be there?  WHERE am I going??  Inquiring minds want to know!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #195 on: November 08, 2010, 08:49:09 PM »

And speaking of Jerry Bock - which we were the other day....

Hal Linden and friends - including Chris Sarandon - sang a few songs from The Rothchilds.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #196 on: November 08, 2010, 08:52:22 PM »

TOD:

Best breakfast I ever had was a breakfast pizza made by the staff of Sam Morgan's Clubhouse Grill, now Mulligan's Clubhouse Grill, when I was employed there.

Homemade dough, ranch dressing, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, green peppers, onions, cheddar & mozzarella cheese.

More pizza joints should be offering this type of pizza (even though it wasn't on our menu).

Hmmmm, Breakfast Pizza!  There a couple places in the City of New York that offer breakfast pizzas topped in various ways.  I like the one at Pulino's that has two eggs "over easy" on it - they're broken onto the pizza half-way throught he baking. Yummy!  Very Yummy!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #197 on: November 08, 2010, 08:56:54 PM »

Haven't been able to read the last few days, so a blanket of vibes for all in need.

I wondered where you were.  I'm about to make the red velvet cake.  I hope it works in the bundt pan.  I hope the weather holds out and I don't have to cancel, or attempt to move the gathering to another house.

DR Jane - Oh! I meant to comment on this the other day. The red velvet cake should work in the Bundt pan, but if it doesn't, well, it doesn't.  It varies from recipe to recipe.  For a "successful" Bundt cake, the batter usually has to have to some "structure" to it.  In other words, if it's a very thin batter, it might not rise enough to fill the pan - and bake properly.  However, if your batter is "spoonable", then things should turn out all right.

LOL-TOO LATE!  It worked but it was difficult to get out of the pan with the rose design.  I think it might be a smidgen too dry even though I watched it very carefully.  I will know tomorrow.  The cream cheese frosting I made to serve on the side is delicious.

I made two batches of hummus using Bryan's recipe, regular & spinach, and they too came out great.  I'm sorry now I only got veggies to serve with it & didn't get any pita bread.

Well, at least it came out of the pan, and that's half the battle. ;)

I also have a Rose Bundt pan, and I've found that the best way to prep the pan with butter is with a pastry brush. It gets in all the nooks and crannies.  As for it being a smidgen too dry, well, most red velvet cakes are a smidgen too dry.  That's what the frosting is for.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #198 on: November 08, 2010, 08:58:47 PM »

All this mixing was extremely hard for me to do.  It was rather painful on the right shoulder/arm & I'm awkward using my left arm.  It took close to three times as long as normal to do it all & I still needed Keith's help a couple of times.  I never would have gotten the cake out of the pan or the tahini stirred for the hummus.

DR Jane - Do you have a blender? stand mixer? food processor?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: November 08, 2010, 09:02:46 PM »

Jose's toast story reminded me :we had the most wonderful toast in the hotel in Sasakatoon in August of 2008 - it was this thick thick wheat bread - golden crunchy on the outside and still soft inthe middle because of the thickness - wew were raving about how good the toast was and ordered extra sides of it - the waiter looked at us like we had 6 heads

later when we got to my in laws in Grande Prairie we went grocery shopping and found that this "exotic" bread was readily available - marketed as "Texas toast"  unfortunately it is not available here

DR vixmom - Texas Toast is available in the New York City area.  However, it seems to be stocked at some of the "less glamorous" grocery store chains like C-Town, Foodtown, Associated, etc.  You could also buy an unsliced sandwich loaf from a local bakery and make your own Texas Toast at home.  If I'm not using Challah, I usually make my French Toast with Texas Toast.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #200 on: November 08, 2010, 09:03:31 PM »

Congrats, DR Michael S!
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #201 on: November 08, 2010, 09:07:04 PM »

Congratulations DR Michael S!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

George

« Reply #202 on: November 08, 2010, 09:18:36 PM »

Good morning, all! I stayed up to finish reading LET ME IN and slept late. My day today consists of tidying the apartment and vacuuming, doing some folk song research on this Appalachian Christmas project for a meeting tomorrow, and a session this afternoon at the Loesser office over this new edition of THE MOST HAPPY FELLA.

Yesterday, we had a 3-hour recording session and got three more of the Victor Herbert piano pieces recorded; the two bitchiest, the unpublished scherzo and "Mountain Brook," are off our backs, and the only solo left to record is the well-known "Pan Americana." On Thursday we have a full day with Rebecca Luker, who will record several songs including two of Herbert's most famous, "Kiss Me Again" and "Indian Summer." At 3:30 she will be joined by a chorus of six men, including our E&T DRs Jason and DAW and Zak the naked Hercules, to record "Till the Right One comes Along," which I would swear is the original operetta number parodied in the title song from "Little Mary sunshine" (why isn't this silly show done more often?).

On Friday we record Mr Dillon McCartney, Miss Korliss Uecker, and Zak's two numbers with the ladies' chorus. "The Century Girl" and "That Old-Fashioned Garden of Mine," a number very much like the the Rodgers & Hart parody "In the Flower Garden Of My Heart."

When my friends Arie and Kevin lived in DC, I used to stay with them whenever I had work at the Library of Congress. On oe of those long weekends, we went to a local school pancake event raiser, and it was one of the best breakfasts I've ever had: pancakes, several kinds of eggs, sausage, bacon, fresh fruit. The only equivalent is the English breakfasts we were served at our hotel in London when we were recording in 2001 and 2002, although I find English bacon not very appetizing.

DRs singsaw, and Jason in the same room at the same time with the Naked Hercules will be an experience, I'm sure.  Say Hello and Get Your Butts Back Here for all of us.

Ditto and Ditto!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #203 on: November 08, 2010, 09:23:45 PM »

Congrats to Michael S! Fantastic!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #204 on: November 08, 2010, 09:27:20 PM »

TOD: Breakfast is my favorite meal to cook. Since I don't cook much, it's a meal I feel confident fixing. I like to scramble eggs with some broccoli and cheese, mushrooms, onions...whatever's around
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #205 on: November 08, 2010, 09:28:07 PM »

Favorite breakfast place in Atlanta: http://www.suninmybelly.com/

Edisaurus

« Reply #206 on: November 08, 2010, 09:28:59 PM »

I have a houseguest staying with me, so I may take him there before he leaves. He's a producer I worked with at Turner many moons ago.

Edisaurus

« Reply #207 on: November 08, 2010, 09:31:04 PM »

We watched the Conan show tonight and turned it off before it was over. Nothing special, and certainly not worth the $$ he's probably getting paid. (Especially since the theory is that's why they made the cutbacks that took my Closer work away...)

But I'm not bitter...

Edisaurus

« Reply #208 on: November 08, 2010, 09:33:08 PM »

But the good news is: they've held over JEWS AND BASEBALL at The Quad (cutting it back to half as many shows, but still held over!) and the Malverne Cinema. But Sag Harbor and Kew Gardens screens will be gone after Thursday.

George

« Reply #209 on: November 08, 2010, 09:40:26 PM »

Congrats, Michael!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up