Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: TWO'S COMPANY  (Read 40631 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:TWO'S COMPANY
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2007, 07:23:59 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Whatever I have yet to try off the Daily Selection at Hale & Hearty.  ;)

I've been on a Chicken Soup kick lately.  Very satisfying, very homey.

Minestrone has always been a favorite too, especially when I come across a Northern Italian version which is sometimes called "White Minestrone" since it doesn't use tomatoes as part of it's base.  It's basically a northern Italian vegetable(!) soup.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2007, 07:26:56 AM »

PAGE THREE HALE & HEARTY SOUP DANCE!!!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2007, 07:28:23 AM »

Well... The windows are now out...  That only took an hour.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2007, 07:30:23 AM »

To BK and his Crew and Cast of Performers - BREAK A LEG!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2007, 07:32:49 AM »

Well, I think I'm gonna go ahead and head to the gym now and get some sort of a workout in before I head out for the afternoon.  I need to work out some of this stress and frustration.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2007, 07:33:50 AM »

DR elmore - If you need anything today, just give me a call.  I have a feeling I really can't help you out with what you're going through, but if you just need to bitch for a while, that's OK too.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2007, 07:34:04 AM »

OK...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2007, 07:34:41 AM »

Tonight DR JOSE will be singing "The Breeze and I."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2007, 07:35:44 AM »

Went to the Dollar Store to see if I could find Queen for a Day - instead found Wild Guitar/The Beatnik......

I have WG on VHS, and The Beatnik looked interesting....well at least one dollar's worth.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2007, 07:39:55 AM »

DR JOSE - with Venus is Libra and Mercury in Scorpio, you are lucky to have ANY windows left.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2007, 07:40:40 AM »

back in a tick

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2007, 07:42:12 AM »

I got on a canned soup kick about six months ago. Bought a whole bunch of Progresso and Campbell's Hearty soups, but I found them addictive. Would eat the entire can of soup in a sitting. I do love the chunky soups with all the ingredients.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2007, 07:58:14 AM »

DR Jose:  Chicken soup, eh?  Go figure!  I've a freezer full of homemade chicken noodle....yummy.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2007, 08:02:24 AM »

Good mornign, good day, how are you this beautiful day?  I'm up, shaved, and will shortly shower or, at the very least, shower shortly.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2007, 08:02:33 AM »

Oy!  What a weekend.

I have, finally, caught up on my reorganization of DVDs and CDs.....and ALL are now ensconced in cases.

All plastic jewel boxes and keepcases are gone, gone, gone.  My condo feels light and airy now.

Of course, there IS one chore left....and that is to find the proper location to store all the inserts (booklets and traycards) for CDs and all the art for the DVDs.  Many DVDs came in boxes or the boxes were the keepcases with the art integrated into the keepcase.  I could not bring myself to throw those out.  So they still take up space.  I'm toying with boxing them up and hiding them.  

I wish I were a carpenter.  I can "envision" some rather splendid made-to-order custom cases for storage of such things that could also have practical applications in my home.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2007, 08:02:46 AM »

Thanks to singdaw for posting his review - lovely way to wake up.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2007, 08:03:55 AM »

Went to the Dollar Store to see if I could find Queen for a  Day

Ohmigosh, JRand...has it come to this?  You're "cruising" the Dollar Store?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2007, 08:05:00 AM »

Guess I need to think about cleaning up for my lunch out later with best friend John.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2007, 08:12:24 AM »

So it's back at work after a busy three-day weekend that followed on the tail of a most hectic Thursday.

Today, all is calm for the moment.  I've been in the office 40 minutes and have seen nary a co-worker (which is strange for this time of morning).  We are, of course, short two MORE co-workers.  We now have three vacancies and the work load did not diminish just because these people left.

Sigh.

It will be interesting to see how my boss -- freshly arrived from Argentina at 1 p.m. this past Thursday -- doles out the must-do projects...yes, indeed.

I'll do my part, of course...and probably "then some".

Sigh.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 08:13:08 AM by Ron Pulliam »

MBarnum

« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2007, 08:16:56 AM »

Go to Target, JRand, go to Target!

MBarnum

« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2007, 08:30:11 AM »

From yesterdays discussion of siblings, here aer mine in numerical order.

Jack (b. 1948), Sue (b. 1951), Allen (b. 1953), Jeff (b. 1955), me (b. 1963), Dan (b. 1967).

Jack passed away at age 38 in 1987 of cancer (he had been exposed to agent orange during the Vietnam war..he was a pilot who sprayed the stuff).

Sue has always been my favorite, and she still is. She is the only sibling that lives here in the Salem area.

Allen is a great guy and used to be DR Jane's Fed Ex driver. A bit of a redneck and he seems to enjoy killing animals for sport (many heads are on his walls), but I still love him.

Jeff is the smartest of the group and is an engineer for the Federal Govt. He lives about an hour away, in Tigard.

Dan is the black sheep of the family (I know, you were expecting me to take on that role!!). He had an attitude problem for several years (he was doing a lot of drugs during that time), but is now clean and happy and healthy. I had no use for him the first 35 years of my life, but now I enjoy his company. My other siblings have taken a bit longer to let him back into the fold, but they are cordial with him.

Family gatherings are always fun and we all get along (this is inclusive of cousins, in-laws, aunts and uncles, etc). I am very grateful for the family that I have and the way in which we all behave ourselves around each other. That is not to say that we are all close buddie, buddies (due mainly to the fact of the age differences and that few of us live in close proximity), or are all that crazy about some of the other's spouses...but none of use let that interfer with being family, and when it is necessary, we just grin and bare it for the greater good.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 08:32:10 AM by MBarnum »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2007, 08:51:38 AM »

I shall now be on my way to the Alex.  I will, of course, have a full report later.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »

And the word of the day is: RIANT!
The RIANT old twosome of Frank and Ollie loved to board the TRAIN from Los Angeles to San Diego, score a couple of beers from the Cafe Car, and get gently but happily sloshed.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2007, 09:08:10 AM »

Hugs to my dear Elmo... Break Leg vibes to cast and crew of Tooz Company...

SOUP! Nice day for some... my mom used to make a wonderful mushroom barley soup, and the best-ever sweet and sour cabbage borscht with boiled flanken (short ribs, for you civilians...). I inherited her gigantic enamel-on-steel soup pot, and the big black enamel-on-steel spoon. On very hot days, I like a good cold cucumber/yogurt soup, made in the blender, with dill and pepper. And gazpacho, another cold blender soup.

I like the chicken soup at Artie's, consumed across the table from Elmo...
PennyO

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2007, 09:09:05 AM »

I wonder what our esteemed BK meant when, in today's notes, he mentioned getting some "toy food" from Gelson's.

Man cannot live on Pez alone!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2007, 09:12:33 AM »

From Bruce
Maybe DotM (Dance of the - what?) will come post again - perhaps I should post something fun for DotM to respond to.

All her posts have disappeared

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2007, 09:13:01 AM »

Now, about my meetings and interviews weekend in Seattle -

What a whirlwind of activity - omma so tired! This 'working' thing is exhausting - it would take a bit of doing to get back to the ol' grind, I tell ya!

I asked very pointed questions, and got some answers - the org is massively in debt, has a serious cash flow problem (example - the$30K or so they netted from the auction on Saturday night is earmarked for the Nov/Dec payroll... and that's without factoring in the 1000 hours of staff time it required. By my reckoning, that's 1000 x maybe $15 an hour average - or $15K they are not counting in the event cost... oy, vey!).

A budget of $2 million with major accounting flaws, and no CFO... an operations manager who feels the need to micromanage the 1200 volunteers (hundreds of whom have volunteered at their festival positions for at least a decade...), because 'volunteers can't be trusted to get it right.' Three newer YOUNG staff people who are pissed that they have to make room in the program for all this boring geezer stuff, like folk music and ethnic dance and all this traditional shit, when there's so much cool rap and grunge and experimental rock going on in kids' garages...(apparently, they can't spell "Folklife"...)

Geezer bluegrass players shaking their fists and mad as hell, because the Youngsters have moved them off of Bluegrass Hill after 35 years, to make room for highly amplified, pierced and tattooed screaming-obscenity rock - at the Northwest's oldest families-with-grandparents-and-little=kids event...

Add to that all the grandiose activities - unrelated to the mission statement - they have undertaken to fulfill in the past several years, year-round entrepreneurial performance fiascos (inspired by being situated too close to the actual professional performance org's at Seattle Center), and a phobic reluctance on the part of the Board to fundraise - and VOILA! Whoever takes over in January certainly has his (her?) work cut out!!! hahahahahahahaaaaa!!

Well, there are four finalists for the gig - and I'm one of them... and after telling them my ideas about sitting down and reading the mission statement together, cutting all the fat, focussing effort and dollars to producing the Northwest Folklife Festival, slapping a tourniquet on the dollar hemorrhage, creating an actual dollar amount expected from each board member (raised or contributed...), and getting back to a volunteer-run org - which worked great for 30 years - and and and... maybe I'm still in the race. I'm fine with it, either way. Nice to get that swell salary, nice to be retired. Hahahahahahahahaaaa!!!!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2007, 09:17:08 AM »

Best part of the weekend - I got to hang with some legendary bluegrass and klezmer artists, hob nob with a legendary Korean photographer, reminisce with some of the folks who began the Festival over 35 years ago... lots of inspiring stories, inspiring lives. Most of the people involved with Folklife are True Believers - and it is THEY who are conducting this search for new leadership. It is an honor to know them.
PennyO

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2007, 09:18:30 AM »

DR elmore - If you need anything today, just give me a call.  I have a feeling I really can't help you out with what you're going through, but if you just need to bitch for a while, that's OK too.  :)

Thank you, DR Jose!

I finally booked the Ohio flight.  That's one round of angst over.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up