Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THESE CONTRARY WEEKS  (Read 30125 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THESE CONTRARY WEEKS
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2007, 10:01:43 AM »

Tonight is my agency's "evening" holiday "do".  About 50 out of 3,000 people will go.  Everyone involved wonders why, oh, why? don't more people turn up.

And yet...it's held in an out-of-the-way location right after work, features "cold" h'ors d'oeuvres and overpriced drinks.  AND it has a $15 cover that gets you "in the door" only.

My thought is that folks don't want to rush right out to an eatery to spend another two hours with folks they've just spent 8-10 hours with in the office and NOT have something to drink...but they don't want to drink and drive.  And there is the conundrum.

Meanwhile, our annual pot luck planning continues.  That is on Monday and is the highlight of the year for most of us.  This year, we're going "green".  We have just salvaged it from being a total bust by NOT requiring everyone to bring their own plates, utensils and cups.  The funny thing about that is that ONLY compostables will be allowed in the building...and they were going to require all participants to go out and buy specific brands/types of paperware/utensils to bring for this once-a-year "do."

Lots of angry buzzing about the agency ensued.  Now, these things will be provided but everyone is encourage to bring their own regular/reusable plates/utensils in order to cut down on the recyclable/compostable waste.

This is another case of trying to go much too far in too short a period of time.  And a few folks involved are already soured on the event beyond repair.  For me, I can't be there.  I have a root canal.  Joy.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2007, 10:03:06 AM »

A word to DR Matt - do NOT go shopping today.

Der Brucer was watching the news, and apparently the parking garage at a shopping mall in your town has collapsed!

Yikes!!!  

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/stories/2007/12/03/daily27.html?jst=b_ln_hl
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2007, 10:04:43 AM »

[shadow=color,glow width,#characters wide][size=8] Page 4 [/size][/font][/shadow]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2007, 10:08:22 AM »

Slainte to all HHWer loved ones no longer with us for the roles they played in our lives!

Is an interpreter available?

singdaw

« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2007, 10:11:35 AM »

Sure, some of us can be snarky at times

Name the names!

Just kidding, DR Miss Karen.  Lovely post!

singdaw

« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2007, 10:12:51 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - your workplace sounds like quite the hornet's nest!  Or a minefield fraught with peril.

singdaw

« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2007, 10:13:26 AM »

DR elmore3003 - congratulations on your temporary gainful employment.  Do you get an employee discount?  :)

singdaw

« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2007, 10:13:58 AM »

Perhaps you can pick up some phone numbers for DR TCB while you're working.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2007, 10:14:11 AM »

I come on this site, one, for the entertainment -- all of you make me laugh -- often out loud -- and two because of the compassion, care and love you all show in your posts for each other, your families, your friends, and your pets. (And it's been supported by those of you I've met in person in LA and NYC). Sure, some of us can be snarky at times or get our feelings hurt, etc., but bottom line you are all so caring and kind -- you've got good hearts.

Just like family members...!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2007, 10:15:32 AM »

... For me, I can't be there.  I have a root canal.  Joy.
Wasn't that the excuse you used last year?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2007, 10:16:43 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - your workplace sounds like quite the hornet's nest!  Or a minefield fraught with peril.

No...it's County government.  Our agency has been leading the way toward "green" everything for a decade...and we've even set standards in projects that have been recognized nationwide.

In the big picture, these were growth experiences.  Baby steps.  With recognition and more attention to "green" everything, the words was put out that we were to look for ways to be "more green."

Some minds interpreted that to mean "everything will be enforced 'green' NOW".

And that sours folks, even when the common goal is agreed upon.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2007, 10:17:33 AM »

When it comes to pot lucks, the only green I want to see is in the salad bowl.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »

Or in the guacamole/avocado dips.

singdaw

« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2007, 10:20:42 AM »

I guess no one is bringing shav...

singdaw

« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2007, 10:21:21 AM »

Or green bean casserole with french onions on top...

singdaw

« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2007, 10:22:57 AM »

If you threw a "Wicked" themed potluck, EVERYTHING would have to be green!  :)

Ginny

« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2007, 10:25:07 AM »

Welcome back to the book biz, DR Elmore!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2007, 10:25:11 AM »

Time for me to trudge through the ice and snow to work.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2007, 10:25:20 AM »

Or green bean casserole with french onions on top...

True enough.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2007, 10:25:48 AM »

If you threw a "Wicked" themed potluck, EVERYTHING would have to be green!  :)

This would never happen in "my" real life.  This is for my fantasy life.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2007, 10:26:14 AM »

DR elmore3003 - congratulations on your temporary gainful employment.  Do you get an employee discount?  :)

Yep.  I do, but I believe I've already missed the employees' super-huge-discount-for-holiday week.  I always liked being there parttime because it was nice to get out and deal with other people than my usual circle of colleagues and friends.

DR Ron Pulliam, it must be a good job because your company sounds quite unpleasant.  I'd think a place with 3000 employees would have a better approach to making their workers happy for a holiday bash.

You've not mentioned LIFE (or maybe you did and I missed it). I know you like the show a lot. How didyou like last night's closer of one chapter of the mystery?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 10:27:22 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2007, 10:26:14 AM »

Time for me to trudge through the ice and snow to work.

Will you be barefoot and carrying heavy books?

:D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2007, 10:32:36 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam, it must be a good job because your company sounds quite unpleasant.  I'd think a place with 3000 employees would have a better approach to making their workers happy for a holiday bash.

You've not mentioned LIFE (or maybe you did and I missed it). I know you like the show a lot. How didyou like last night's closer of one chapter of the mystery?

1.  It's a good job.  No mistake about it.  Benefits are especially good, as is the retirement package.  BUT, as is true of any place, we have "do-gooders" who, despite good intentions, step on the last nerve of common sense at times.  Sometimes, it seems, the lack of employee enthusiasm doesn't sway the "big boss" from going ahead with an idea he likes.  

2.  I've not yet watched last night's "Life".  I watched "Project Runway" in lieu...and DVR'ed "Life" for perusal this e'en.  Will weigh in afterwards.  Keep those SPOILER alerts clicking, please, when discussions of last night's episode ensue.

: )

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2007, 10:33:41 AM »

I guess no one is bringing shav...

No.  And there won't be any chitlin's, either.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2007, 10:34:10 AM »

That's "chitterlings" to those Southernese-challenged folks.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2007, 10:34:33 AM »

But never forget:

Grits is GRITS!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 10:35:13 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2007, 10:35:30 AM »

And that's the truth.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2007, 10:38:57 AM »

I spy DR Megan among us.

Howdy, stranger!

singdaw

« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2007, 10:40:58 AM »

That's "chitterlings" to those Southernese-challenged folks.

I still had to look it up!  :)

FJL

« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2007, 10:42:56 AM »

LADY CHITTERLING'S LOVER - my new adaptation of...oh, never mind.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up