Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE KINDNESS OF STRANGERS  (Read 56258 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re: THE KINDNESS OF STRANGERS
« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2009, 02:40:31 PM »

Afraid I know next to nothing about House of Flowers.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #151 on: March 10, 2009, 02:41:05 PM »

Here's a question for our musical theater collectors, and it's not to go ANY further than this board - would the 1960s House Of Flowers be of interest as a CD release - I remember liking the LP very much, and it's never been on CD before and is purportedly available to me.  But these things have to sell better than Anya has thus far or I'm not going to do any more shows.  Right now, Anya has sold about half it's run, which isn't bad, but nowhere near what it needs to sell to have it be worthwhile.  And I really don't know how to get out the word more than we have.

I didn't know that there was a 1960s version.  I only knew about the original 1954 cast recording.  That would be interesting. :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 02:46:54 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #152 on: March 10, 2009, 02:47:17 PM »

I watched CASTLE while I ate lunch. I was a bit turned off by the overdone character set-ups for Castle showing him to be the overage frat boy whose daughter is more mature than he is. I caught on very quickly and didn't need such an over elaborate build-up. Once the case got going, it was a fun crime investigation. I don't think Castle is quite as interesting a character as Jane on THE MENTALIST (the tones of the shows are very similar), but overall I enjoyed the episode and will continue watching.

Darn.  I forgot about this. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #153 on: March 10, 2009, 03:00:50 PM »

Anyone else need any medical advice?

It hurts when I bend my ankle.

R-I-C-E

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Laura

« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2009, 03:03:08 PM »

Thanks, Ginny.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Michael

« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2009, 03:15:36 PM »

Here's a question for our musical theater collectors, and it's not to go ANY further than this board - would the 1960s House Of Flowers be of interest as a CD release - I remember liking the LP very much, and it's never been on CD before and is purportedly available to me.  But these things have to sell better than Anya has thus far or I'm not going to do any more shows.  Right now, Anya has sold about half it's run, which isn't bad, but nowhere near what it needs to sell to have it be worthwhile.  And I really don't know how to get out the word more than we have.

The 1968 Revival that UA recorded is not the same show as the Broadway version.
It does not have all the songs that are on the OC and has 5 additional songs written for the show

For the record (so to speak)

Original Songs
Overture
A Sleepin' Bee
Bamboo Cage
House of Flowers
Two Ladies In de Shade of de Banana Tree
What Is a Friend For?
I Have Never Seen Snow
Don't Like Goodbyes

New Songs
Somethin' Cold To Drink
Jump De Broom
Woman Never Understan'
Walk To the Grave
Madame Tango's Particular Tango (A different song than the one used in OC as Madame Tango's Tango)

It seems from what is NOT on the recording that Act 2 was rewritten. All the songs were dropped with the exception of Don't Like Goodbyes
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2009, 03:21:11 PM »

I'm sorry there hasn't been a bigger interest in ANYA. It deserves to be better known. As for HOUSE OF FLOWERS, I can't say I'd be all that interested in it. How about A TIME FOR SINGING? :)

There is a musical I know nothing about except for that it was based on How Green Was My Valley and there are several names (at least to me) that are notablein the cast: Tessie O'Shea, Shani Wallis, Laurence Naismith, Elizabeth Hubbard and GEORGE HEARN!!

As far as I know, none of the songs were ever recorded other than the cast album.

It was released by Warner Bros.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #157 on: March 10, 2009, 03:25:58 PM »

I love this talk of all these older cast album.

I love the search for tracking down all the possible numbers for a show like Illya Darling and the possibility of putting them in show order on the cd.

For all those cast album fanatics...

What recordings would you like to see release on CD that has NOT been released before?
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: March 10, 2009, 03:26:41 PM »

I've never heard the 1968 revival, but I sure do love the OBC! it seems to me the problem, BK is in advertising the Kritzerland catalog.  It's sad there are no longer magazines like THEATRE WEEK or SHOW MUSIC, and I would think Peter Filichia and Steve Suskin need to get review copies to write them up on their sites. I don't even know if Max Preeo, or whoever does the Upcoming Releases for TalkinBroadway.com, has ever listed any Kritzerland titles there. I find a lot of books and things there that interest me and I order them as soon as they're announced.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: March 10, 2009, 03:29:07 PM »

Well, spoo! I just went to "Upcoming Releases," and I'm a liar.  ANYA is listed. Fantastic!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

« Reply #160 on: March 10, 2009, 03:31:39 PM »

I love this talk of all these older cast album.

I love the search for tracking down all the possible numbers for a show like Illya Darling and the possibility of putting them in show order on the cd.

What recordings would you like to see release on CD that has NOT been released before?

Others have said this also, but the original A Man With a Load of Mischief would be a good one. :)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #161 on: March 10, 2009, 03:35:57 PM »

Hmmmm.... Hamantaschen...

And should you like to make your own:

The Perfect Hamantaschen

*The recipe requires 2-3 days to make, so even though they won't be ready for Purim, they should still be delicious.

Those look excellent!

DR FJL, HAPPY PURIM TO YOU & THOSE WHO CELEBRATE IT!  I celebrate by fondly remembering Purim carnivals at temple.

Does anyone celebrate Purim?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 03:47:39 PM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #162 on: March 10, 2009, 03:37:09 PM »

I've napped for two hours but I'm fighting the impulse to stay in bed all day, much as I want to.

That is pretty much what I do.  It makes me sooo sleepy.  Do you have any test results to wait for?

Jane

« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2009, 03:38:17 PM »

Good Afternoon.  I had a nice chat with my boss this morning.  I am going to start back to work on a part time basis starting on Monday.

Congratulations! :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2009, 03:42:19 PM »

I didn't know that there was a 1960s version.  I only knew about the original 1954 cast recording.  That would be interesting. :)

Me, neither.  much.

Who was in the cast, Bruce?  Where did it play?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #165 on: March 10, 2009, 03:44:02 PM »

Who was in that one?  Do you know how the CD OBC did for Columbia/Sony?  My gut instinct is it would have *very* limited appeal, probably less than even Anya.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #166 on: March 10, 2009, 03:44:32 PM »

Good Evening!

Errands completed, and now I'm back at the apartment just putzing around.  I have a mental list of things I'd like to get done around the apartment before I head to the airport tomorrow, and it all seems doable.  Now it's just a matter of actually doing them. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: March 10, 2009, 03:46:54 PM »

Me, neither.  much.

Who was in the cast, Bruce?  Where did it play?

It was Off-Broadway. I used to see the actress who played the Diahan Carroll role in the Drama Book Shop. Her name as Yolanda Bavan(?). I had a copy of the vocal selections from that production.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2009, 03:47:33 PM »

Good Evening!

Errands completed, and now I'm back at the apartment just putzing around.  I have a mental list of things I'd like to get done around the apartment before I head to the airport tomorrow, and it all seems doable.  Now it's just a matter of actually doing them. ;)

What?  No bowel movements to report today?

;)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: March 10, 2009, 03:47:38 PM »

I've napped for two hours but I'm fighting the impulse to stay in bed all day, much as I want to.

That is pretty much what I do.  It makes me sooo sleepy.  Do you have any test results to wait for?

I go back to see him on april 15.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #170 on: March 10, 2009, 03:48:45 PM »

It makes me kind of sad to think there are only 499 other people in the world who would buy ANYA.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2009, 03:49:07 PM »

I go back to see him on april 15.

If you haven't already, don't forget to file your taxes before that date so the anxiety won't be hanging over you.

George

« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2009, 03:49:33 PM »

Not quite the same thing, but BK, would a separate (not part of the DVD) CD soundtrack release of "The First Nudie Musical" be a possibility?  Do you think that there would be enough interest in that? 

Just a thought.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #173 on: March 10, 2009, 03:53:18 PM »

and I'm back.  The Vixter asked me to help her run a few errands after school so I took her out to the stores.  Tomorrow is  her best friends's birthday so she had stopped at the supermarket bakery on her way home yesterday and ordered a birthday cake which she will pick up tomorrow monring bring in to school.  She and her best friend and another girl who is part of their group all have the same homeroom and first period class - chorus.  So she got a nice big cake so everyone could have a small piece.

This afternoon we went to the dollar store to buy paperplates and plastic forks and candles and a cheap cake server (in case in doesn't come home - I didn't want to give her mine!) 
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #174 on: March 10, 2009, 03:54:48 PM »

bk - As for the House of Flowers, well... I might be interested in it.  -Is there a Harold Arlen Society you could contact to help get the word out?

As for selling more copies of your show titles in general... As DR elmore already mentioned, all the usual outlets for advertising such items are now defunct.  However...

Does Kritzerland have a Fan Page on Facebook?
Does Kritzerland have a Twitter account?
Is it possible for Kritzerland to take out a small banner ad on either Broadwayworld.com or Playbill.com?
Since the Barnes & Nobles at Lincoln Square seems to be "Show Music Central" here in NYC right now, have you contacted them?
Are you able to arrange for a set of Kritzerland CDs to be a prize in one of All That Chat's e-blast contests?
Etc., etc., etc...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #175 on: March 10, 2009, 03:55:34 PM »

Good Evening!

What?  No bowel movements to report today?

;)

Nope.  And no pictures either.
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #176 on: March 10, 2009, 03:58:39 PM »

Then we went up to Kohl's to buy her a new white blouse.  She was selected to be in the All County Chorus this coming weeked and we just realized that she outgrew her white turtleneck.  Her black dress slacks are still fine thank goodness.  I was lucky we were able to find a blouse on the discount rack for 50% off the price so it was $15 and then when we checked out they were running a promotion where they let you pick a scratch off card for additional savings - I got another 20% off so we picked up a $30 dress blouse for $12.

vixmom

« Reply #177 on: March 10, 2009, 04:00:49 PM »

I also had to give her $20 to buy the tickets for the concert.

I am glad that I am going back to work my cash reserves are getting dangerously low.

vixmom

« Reply #178 on: March 10, 2009, 04:04:31 PM »

Ginny - that sounds like a good idea going in for the second half of the day but I already committed to going in from 9 am until 1 PM.  If I feel up to it I will stay until 2 .

That time of the afternoon there will be very little traffic and I will probably be home in less than 20 minutes.

I will be getting home around the same time as the Vixter so that will nice and I will have time for a nap before dinner if I need one.

vixmom

« Reply #179 on: March 10, 2009, 04:06:47 PM »

And he said that days I have doctor's appointments I will just get in when I can and saty as long as I feel I am able to.

I don't think I have another appointment for a month or so - except for an appointment with my surgeon on Thursday - but since I am not starting back until Monday that won't effect things.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up