Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES IN THE KEY OF B  (Read 75548 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:NOTES IN THE KEY OF B
« Reply #150 on: January 06, 2005, 01:58:06 PM »

Great find, JMK.  What were the origins of the items, was the woman just a fan?

Did you get the videos you wrote about last month?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #151 on: January 06, 2005, 02:20:47 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Back from grocery shopping with my Dad...

Since he's Retired Coast Guard - and still works for the government - we shopped at the Ft. Myer (home of "Pershing's Own") Commisary.  The new commisary.  When we went through the gate, he wasn't driving the way I was used to... Instead of turning left, he turned right.  It turns out they built a new commisary about 10 years ago.  I guess it has been a while since I've been shopping with my Dad.

What a nice new commisary.  Not so industrial looking as the old one.  Complete with an in-store bakery and sushi bar now too.  It was also neat seeing all the various ethnice foods available on the shelves - a nod to the various nationalities that have enlisted in the U.S. military.

We shopped.  Boy, did we shop!  I have to say, now I know where I get my sometimes "reckless" sense of spending.  "Did you buy some chicken?  -Yes.  Well, get one more."  "Did you buy some cheese? -Yes, two kinds.  Well, let me get another one, it's on sale."  "Do you want some ice cream?  -No, you still have some from last week.  Are you sure? Some vanilla?"  It started to take on a comical edge to me.  So, what else was I to do... I ended up doing some shopping for myself.  :)

I had also forgotten just how "cheap" the prices are at the commisary.  Most of the "solid" goods were about the same as "outside" - shampoo, soap, batteries, etc.  But the meats and vegetables were incredible bargains.  Perdue chicken breasts were going for $1.87/pound - and that was not on sale!  -So, I bought two packages. ;)

After everything had gotten rung up, we walked out of there with 12 bags of groceries!  Not bad for a father and son who had only spent about 30 minutes in the commisary!

On the way back, my Dad wanted to stop to buy some lottery tickets, so we stopped by this oriental market he goes to all the time.  -Which also happens to be in the same strip as my godmother's restaurant, so I stopped in and said HI to her too.  Pick 3, Pick 4, Pick 5, LottoSouth and MegaMillions - at least two tickets for each one!  -Then he gave me a five to buy some tickets for myself.  -Cross your fingers everyone!

Once we got home, he headed back up to his bedroom.  He enjoyed getting out of the house for a while - he even drove - but it was definitely time for him to get off his feet.  I put everything away, and now I'm doing laundry and posting...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #152 on: January 06, 2005, 02:26:50 PM »

Hmmmm....an episode of "Joey" followed by "Committed"....Zzzzz-z-z-z-z-z-z!

:D

If "Joey" doesn't perk up REAL SOON, it may become the longest-running dud in TV history.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 03:03:50 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2005, 02:28:20 PM »

No one did weird things in public?  And has everyone been singing their posts?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2005, 02:35:30 PM »

BK - Glad to know the cookies made it to you!  And so quick too!  I only mailed them on Tuesday.

*The trick - which I learned from one of the friendliest US Postal clerks I've ever dealt with - is to splurge on the Tracking/Delivery Confirmation with Priority Mail.  Since it's tracked, and since the USPS wants to keep a good track record of their delivery times...  My mail to NYC makes it up to the Big Apple overnight that way about 80% of the time from DC and Richmond.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #155 on: January 06, 2005, 02:36:39 PM »

Has anyone else notcied that Amazon.com doesn't give that exhaustive list of upcoming DVD releases for each Tuesday any more? Wonder why they stopped that? That's where I went every Wednesday to find out what was coming out the following Tuesday.

So, who else has a comprehensive list of the coming week's DVD releases?

MattH, check out www.dvdverdict.com. They list each weeks new releases and also a daily list of just announced titles...and fun DVD reviews too!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #156 on: January 06, 2005, 02:37:37 PM »

And just in case you have any food allergies..

Cantuccini - the Almond biscotti, with a hint of cinnamon.
Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip-Pecan-Toffee Cookies - recipe of which was posted a few weeks ago here in HHW.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: January 06, 2005, 02:38:58 PM »

Here is a photograph of the Gloria Swanson painting I just got back from the framers.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: January 06, 2005, 02:40:05 PM »

And here is a photograph of my brand spanking new Converse classic tennis shoe.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: January 06, 2005, 02:40:56 PM »

I wish you could have heard me sing that last post.  Guy Haines watch out!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #160 on: January 06, 2005, 02:41:38 PM »

And has everyone been singing their posts?

I've been singing everyone's posts.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #161 on: January 06, 2005, 02:42:44 PM »

Did it again. Just burst out singing, "I've got a new pair of shoes." Can't help myself.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #162 on: January 06, 2005, 02:48:20 PM »

Did it again. Just burst out singing, "I've got a new pair of shoes." Can't help myself.

Catchy tune, ain't it?
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #163 on: January 06, 2005, 02:59:46 PM »

Catchy tune, ain't it?

Are we singing a duet?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2005, 03:05:23 PM »

I wish you could have heard me sing that last post.  Guy Haines watch out!

Don't you go joining that gang, now...that Guy Haines is apparently the leader....the doppel gangleader!

;D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #165 on: January 06, 2005, 03:06:21 PM »

Not a shine on your shoes
Not a shine on your shoes
Shine
Shine
Shine
Need a shoe shine
Need a shoe shine

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #166 on: January 06, 2005, 03:11:53 PM »

Jose:  I was stationed at Fort Myer back in the late 1970s.  Actually, I was assigned to the Navy Annex, but I was housed on Fort Myer in a multi-service barracks near the chow hall.  

I remember the "old" commissary very well.  For about a year during my time there, I moved off the post and into an apartment building very nearby...it was called The Virgnian.  It was on Arlington Blvd., and was two blocks behind the Iwo Jima Memorial.  (I think it has since been converted into a condominium building).

I drove to work via the "back gate" of Fort Myer (the one nearest the Iwo Jima), parked in the lot near the gate to Henderson Hall and walked through that Marine compound over to the Annex.

Those were good years!!!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 03:12:54 PM by RLP »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: January 06, 2005, 03:19:44 PM »

I feel so with it with my new sneakers.  I am happening and now.  Henry Mancini's delightfully lounge Bachelor in Paradise is blaring forth.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: January 06, 2005, 03:20:28 PM »

I've been typing up all my notes for my new book idea - so they're all in one place (they're scattered about on many sheets of paper and pads and stuff).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2005, 03:23:44 PM »

I feel I must eat another biscotti, which I'm sure are quite dietetic.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #170 on: January 06, 2005, 03:30:01 PM »

Jose:  I was stationed at Fort Myer back in the late 1970s.  Actually, I was assigned to the Navy Annex, but I was housed on Fort Myer in a multi-service barracks near the chow hall.  

I remember the "old" commissary very well.  For about a year during my time there, I moved off the post and into an apartment building very nearby...it was called The Virgnian.  It was on Arlington Blvd., and was two blocks behind the Iwo Jima Memorial.  (I think it has since been converted into a condominium building).

I drove to work via the "back gate" of Fort Myer (the one nearest the Iwo Jima), parked in the lot near the gate to Henderson Hall and walked through that Marine compound over to the Annex.

Those were good years!!!

You might have run into my father shopping at the commisary and/or PX back then too!  -He was stationed at CGHQ at the time.

The Virginian is still there.  Some prime fireworks viewing from that building.  It is a condo, but they also have some units set aside for temporary housing/extended stay purposes.  Some of the "stars" who are in shows at the Kennedy Center sometimes stay over there.

You can still park over by the Marine Barracks - Henderson Hall - and walk between the two compounds.  When I still had base privileges, I would park over at Henderson Hall, go shopping at the Post Exchange over there.  *Henderson Hall got a spiffy new PX about 15 years ago.  Then walk through the gate over to Ft. Myer, and take a nice walk over to their Exchange.  I would usually grab a bite to eat at their snack bar.  And whenever I was over at the Rader Clinic on Ft. Myer for a check up, physical, etc., I always liked walking around - such nice grounds.  And Arlington National Cemetery just over the brick wall too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #171 on: January 06, 2005, 03:32:36 PM »

I feel I must eat another biscotti, which I'm sure are quite dietetic.

Well, the almonds are good for you.  Only three eggs in the whole batch (you have about 1/8 of the batch).  I use only whole wheat, unbleached AP flour.  And only 3/4 cup sugar for the whole batch.  No additional fat or butter in the recipe.  Dietetic indeed!  -Now, if I had dipped them in chocolate...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2005, 03:34:48 PM »

DR RLP - Which church did you go to - if you went to church at the time - when you were stationed at Ft. Myer?

And do you remember the Family Fish House chain?  Whitey's?  Hsian Foong?
Make Your Own Luck.

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #173 on: January 06, 2005, 03:37:39 PM »

Lovely quote OzDerek. At 59 - No lighting  at all is a better choice.

Well Tomofoz .. at 59 i'd have the power cut if I were you ....!!!!!

:)
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: January 06, 2005, 03:38:10 PM »

I did indeed eat two more biscottis.  Very tasty.  I could dip them in some C.C. Brown's hot fudge.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #175 on: January 06, 2005, 03:38:17 PM »

I always wanted to go to EIGHTY-EIGHTS and also BACKSTAGE. Never made it to either one.

The one time I went to New York, a bunch of us went to Eighty-Eights and Terry White was one of the bartenders.  I got her autograph and told her that I loved her in Nunsense on TV (and I did)!  I also sang "Tap Your Troubles Away" there.  Several of us in the tour group were taking tap dancing lessons at the time, so it was very appropriate!  That was one of the few times that I've sung what was basically live karaoke, otherwise I hate doing karaoke.  I don't mind performing in a show or concert or whatever, but karaoke, especially in a bar, turns me off...as a performer.  I don't mind watching friends of mine make fools of themselves!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: January 06, 2005, 03:39:48 PM »

Marcy the Marketing Lady is hard at work trying to book more signings, especially in Portland and in Arizona.  Hopefully we'll have some news soon.  We're still doing very well in the amazon sales rank.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #177 on: January 06, 2005, 03:39:51 PM »

RLP and Jose it is nice you can share those memories of the base.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #178 on: January 06, 2005, 03:40:15 PM »

Wait for it, Dear Readers.  The other day we had haineshisway.com nuptials.  Today we shall have a haineshisway.com long-lost-twins-separated-at-birth reunion.

Mazel tov, Dear Readers Jose and RLP.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #179 on: January 06, 2005, 03:43:02 PM »

Wait for it, Dear Readers.  The other day we had haineshisway.com nuptials.  Today we shall have a haineshisway.com long-lost-twins-separated-at-birth reunion.

Mazel tov, Dear Readers Jose and RLP.

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of...

...Father?

:o

;D
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up