Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: LET'S GET METAPHYSICAL  (Read 14382 times)

Jennifer

Re: LET'S GET METAPHYSICAL
« Reply #240 on: April 21, 2010, 07:00:18 PM »

I think i will go check out who got voted off of IDOL. I wonder how much over they went tonight.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #241 on: April 21, 2010, 07:02:22 PM »

DR Jane does Keith have a birthday cake?

I'm trying to decide what kind of cake i want for mine. I am sort of picky since i don't actually like the cake part of cake. Maybe cheesecake.

No cake, just popcorn.  For a better table at the restaurant he mentioned it was his birthday.  I think they were disappointed he didn't order dessert. 

Cheesecake is good.  What about an ice cream cake, without the cake part. ;)  If you don't like cake does this mean you easily leave alone the cup cakes when you bake them?

He didn't get a piece of cake for free for his birthday?  I don't know any restaurant that doesn't do that.

DR Jeanne mentioned ice cream cake.  I do like cakes, just not ones that are made up mostly of the cake part!

I love ice cream cakes, with a think layer of cake at the bottom or without.  Carvel's has the best with their chocolate crunchies in the middle.

Jennifer not all restaurants give free cakes, some charge you & put a candle on it, some comp what you order.

Jennifer

« Reply #242 on: April 21, 2010, 07:02:50 PM »

Well my mom used to be a semi-professional cake decorator. So she can do any of these cakes.  I would have thought that they would have let big sister help choose. But i think my mom and sister are gonna choose. I saw the cake pans at the rental store and i thought the Blue's Clues one was awesome.

My older niece had care bear, dora, and strawberry shortcake. And this year cinderella. The baby does not know any of these characters really, so she won't care.

But she is so cute. This week you can tell her to wave to you and she does!

Jennifer

« Reply #243 on: April 21, 2010, 07:04:25 PM »

I've never heard of a restaurant charging for a person's piece of birthday cake!

I know where i am going i will get a delicious brownie with ice cream.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #244 on: April 21, 2010, 07:05:30 PM »

DR Jane does Keith have a birthday cake?

I'm trying to decide what kind of cake i want for mine. I am sort of picky since i don't actually like the cake part of cake. Maybe cheesecake.

No cake, just popcorn.  For a better table at the restaurant he mentioned it was his birthday.  I think they were disappointed he didn't order dessert. 

Cheesecake is good.  What about an ice cream cake, without the cake part. ;)  If you don't like cake does this mean you easily leave alone the cup cakes when you bake them?

He didn't get a piece of cake for free for his birthday?  I don't know any restaurant that doesn't do that.

DR Jeanne mentioned ice cream cake.  I do like cakes, just not ones that are made up mostly of the cake part!

I love ice cream cakes, with a think layer of cake at the bottom or without.  Carvel's has the best with their chocolate crunchies in the middle.

Jennifer not all restaurants give free cakes, some charge you & put a candle on it, some comp what you order.

A few places that I've gone to just give you a free hot fudge sundae...and not the regular-sized one that they normally serve (when you pay). 

What's that about? :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #245 on: April 21, 2010, 07:07:09 PM »

Well, I'm going to my sister's house...and I have nothing to assemble or install! ;)

Be back later!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #246 on: April 21, 2010, 07:09:58 PM »

Well, I'm going to my sister's house...and I have nothing to assemble or install! ;)

OMG!!

George

« Reply #247 on: April 21, 2010, 07:10:21 PM »

OMG!!

I know! :D

Jane

« Reply #248 on: April 21, 2010, 07:12:29 PM »

I've never heard of a restaurant charging for a person's piece of birthday cake!

I know where i am going i will get a delicious brownie with ice cream.

Sounds good.  A restaurant that has a standard birthday dessert sometimes gives two desserts if you order something else.  I have a feeling where we went today might have comped the birthday dessert.  At least they didn't serve one when he declined.  We have had that & then I feel guilty if we don't eat it.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #249 on: April 21, 2010, 07:14:15 PM »

A few places that I've gone to just give you a free hot fudge sundae...and not the regular-sized one that they normally serve (when you pay). 

Hot fudge sundaes are quick and easy to prepare, and restaurants are likely to have everything they need at hand. I recall BK ordering one for me for my birthday once. I liked it; it was a treat without being too-too.

Jane

« Reply #250 on: April 21, 2010, 07:14:45 PM »

Well my mom used to be a semi-professional cake decorator. So she can do any of these cakes.  I would have thought that they would have let big sister help choose. But i think my mom and sister are gonna choose. I saw the cake pans at the rental store and i thought the Blue's Clues one was awesome.

My older niece had care bear, dora, and strawberry shortcake. And this year cinderella. The baby does not know any of these characters really, so she won't care.

But she is so cute. This week you can tell her to wave to you and she does!

What/who is Blue Clue's?

I bet she is cute waving.  That reminds me, our vet said we can find a photo of her baby on the hospital website.  I forgot to look for it.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #251 on: April 21, 2010, 07:16:04 PM »

A brownie with vanilla ice cream would make me happy, too.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #252 on: April 21, 2010, 07:16:36 PM »

TTFN.

Jane

« Reply #253 on: April 21, 2010, 07:25:20 PM »

I went to the hospital website.  The baby really has a good head of dark hair.  Knowing the parents I expected her to be fairer.  The site is nice & includes a little bit of history to save:

This day in history

Population:
    Ashland: 20,600
    U.S. population: 308,926,302

Local weather:
    Ashland high: 73° F
    Ashland low: 45° F

The nation's weather extremes:
    High: 99° at Death Valley, California
    Low: 7 at Nuiqsut and Shishmaref, Alaska

The day's Dow Jones close:

Your dollar's worth
    Loaf of bread: $2.49
    Gallon of milk: $3.85
    Gallon of gasoline: $3.15
    First-class stamp: $0.44
    New car: $21,750.00
    Average new home: $336,000.00

Other interesting people born on this date:
    1903 - Eliot Ness - Federal lawman and head of the nine-man anti-crime squad known as the "Untouchables" that brought down Chicago mobster Al Capone.
    1877 - Ole Evinrude - Norwegian-American inventor of the marine outboard motor and founder of the Evinrude Motor Corporation.
    1807 - Robert E. Lee - Most successful and respected Confederate general of the American Civil War.
    1721 - Roger Sherman - American Founding Father whose contributions helped overcome significant difficulties in the creation of the Constitution. You will find his signature on the Declaration of Independence.

Other notable events
on this day in history:
    1982 - NASA announced the selection of America's first female astronaut, Sally Ride.
    1897 - John J. McDermott won the first Boston Marathon (called the American Marathon Race then) in a time of 2 hours 55 minutes and 10 seconds.
    1892 - Frank and Charles Duryea of Springfield, Massachusetts, finished the prototype for America's first successful automobile.
    1775 - American Minutemen engaged British troops at the Battles of Lexington and Concord, commencing the American War of Independence. 

Jane

« Reply #254 on: April 21, 2010, 07:25:49 PM »

I had better do a few stretches before I am too stiff to move.

'night

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #255 on: April 21, 2010, 07:31:34 PM »

When I went down, I picked out THE SECRET ADVERSARY from the stack of to-watch DVDs from the bar. This is the BBC film version of Agatha Christie's second novel. It's a mystery thriller instead of a murder mystery, and though I didn't remember who the villain was when the show began, I figured it out before the revelation happened in the movie. James Warrick and Francesca Annis played Tommy and Tuppence through a series of BBC versions of Christie's novels and short stories featuring the pair. I'll enjoy seeing some of the shorter ones from PARTNERS IN CRIME in the upcoming days.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #256 on: April 21, 2010, 07:32:42 PM »

I'm very relieved to learn my Nephew has made it home from London.  I'm surprised he got a flight out so quickly, lucky guy.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #257 on: April 21, 2010, 07:35:21 PM »

Happy birthday to Keith!
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Matt H.

« Reply #258 on: April 21, 2010, 07:36:03 PM »

Then I put in the DVD of BLACK NARCISSUS. Criterion is putting out its Blu-ray version of the movie in July, and as many times as I've watched this movie, I don't think I ever spent time listening to the Scorsese/Powell commentary track, so that's what I watched and listened to this evening. (This will save me a lot of time in July when it and THE RED SHOES are issued by Criterion in Blu-ray and I have to review them.)

Not a great track. Scorsese breaks in to make some comments at key moments, but most of it is Powell's rather slow, meandering thoughts about the movie (including things he doesn't like about it). Nice that I have this listened to now and don't have to take time with it in June/July.

Matt H.

« Reply #259 on: April 21, 2010, 07:36:56 PM »

I had some time left over so I went ahead and rewatched "Coloring with Light," the Jack Cardiff documentary about his work on BLACK NARCISSUS. A very interesting documentary.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #260 on: April 21, 2010, 07:39:02 PM »

Then I put in the DVD of BLACK NARCISSUS. Criterion is putting out its Blu-ray version of the movie in July, and as many times as I've watched this movie, I don't think I ever spent time listening to the Scorsese/Powell commentary track, so that's what I watched and listened to this evening. (This will save me a lot of time in July when it and THE RED SHOES are issued by Criterion in Blu-ray and I have to review them.)

Not a great track. Scorsese breaks in to make some comments at key moments, but most of it is Powell's rather slow, meandering thoughts about the movie (including things he doesn't like about it). Nice that I have this listened to now and don't have to take time with it in June/July.

Well, there's already a rather marvelous blu-ray of Black Narcissus already out in the UK and all region.  There is, in fact, no possible way for the Criterion to be any better - in fact, I'm guessing it won't be as good, in the same way that their M has had the black levels boosted and in the process come up with a transfer that is darker and with less detail than its Brit counterpoint.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #261 on: April 21, 2010, 07:40:12 PM »

Unplugging the DVR seems to have done the trick.  Unfortunately, for the first and only time, it screwed up the recording of last night's Lost and cut off the final eight minutes of the show - if anyone can please write me or post here with a spoiler what happened after Jack jumps off the boat, that would be much appreciated.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #262 on: April 21, 2010, 07:41:48 PM »

I thought this was going to be a lighter day, but after my morning meeting I never stopped until just now.  I had to write the liner notes, and then I had to do notes for the gift CD along with the track titles and then I spent three hours on the phone giving corrections on the first fifty pages of Mr. BIG's book.  I spent sixteen hours going through and finding all the little things that needed fixing and we're doing them now.

Matt H.

« Reply #263 on: April 21, 2010, 07:55:56 PM »

Well, there's already a rather marvelous blu-ray of Black Narcissus already out in the UK and all region.  There is, in fact, no possible way for the Criterion to be any better - in fact, I'm guessing it won't be as good, in the same way that their M has had the black levels boosted and in the process come up with a transfer that is darker and with less detail than its Brit counterpoint.

I know that. Of course, as a Criterion reviewer, I was aware their versions were coming so I had no interest in exploring the all region versions of these films that they control in Region A.

Matt H.

« Reply #264 on: April 21, 2010, 07:58:20 PM »

It was very odd not watching any TV programs tonight. I have successfully managed to let some shows end their runs without adding shows to take their places. Consequently, I now have some nights where there are only one or two programs that I'm interested in.

FJL

« Reply #265 on: April 21, 2010, 08:01:37 PM »

You know you need a new eye prescription when someone writes "I feel stronger" and you first read it as "I feel stranger."

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #266 on: April 21, 2010, 08:03:26 PM »

FJL, yes, the stabbing was done behind my back from a most unexpected source, a guy who evidently wanted one of his friends hired for the job.  I've met her and she will be an absolute fiasco in the job, which they'll find out soon enough.  This position is a rather strange combination of vocal arranger, pianist-conductor and emcee, and this lady can barely (and I do mean barely) play a C chord on the piano.  (Did I mention most of these seniors need their songs transposed, and all of the charts I provided are leadsheets only?).

At least she could do this song:  http://mog.com/inrumford/blog/189089

I saw Loudon Wainwright do this in concert last night with Richard Thompson.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

« Reply #267 on: April 21, 2010, 08:06:35 PM »

I saw who got the boot tonight from IDOL. Can't say I'm at all surprised. I thought this was the weakest performance of the seven (but not by much).

Matt H.

« Reply #268 on: April 21, 2010, 08:07:04 PM »

Guess I'll head downstairs now and get some sleep.

Good night!

Laura

« Reply #269 on: April 21, 2010, 08:08:54 PM »

I heard Kate Gosselin got booted.

Does anyone else think "gosling" and think of her as Mother Goose?
"That's a lotta hamsters."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up