Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TIME WARNER STRIKES AGAIN  (Read 14453 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TIME WARNER STRIKES AGAIN
« on: April 23, 2009, 12:22:58 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes worked better than Time Warner, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they've been chewing on some fiber-optic cables.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: TIME WARNER STRIKES AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 12:24:06 AM »

And the word of the day is: MUMPSIMUS!

Smoke on your pipe and put that in.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 12:59:22 AM »

Just as I wrote the final line of today's notes guess what happened - you got it - Time Warner went down again - happily, only for about two minutes.

DAW

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 03:10:40 AM »

DAW

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 03:11:39 AM »

***CONTINUED RAPID RECOVERY VIBES***
for DR Jane and her DH Keith!!!!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 04:22:42 AM »

I've been trying to avoid having Time Warner in our new house. 

Hopefully, the wait has paid off.  It looks like (fingers crossed) we're going to get U-verse tomorrow from AT&T.

I understand that their system is much more reliable than TW.

Last September, when we were in Austin arranging for the purchase of our house, TW was having a battle with NBC and no TW subscriber in Texas could get an NBC show.  I think that went on for a couple of months.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 04:38:25 AM »

Comedians?

If a comedian is going to make it to the "top rung," he/she has to be more than just a comic.  He/she has to be an all-round entertainer and a pretty good actor, because a comic's schtick gets old after awhile.   Perfect example: my late former publicity client, Stanley Myron Handleman, who was very hot during the late 1960s/early 70s, but a few years later, couldn't get arrested.  He had one act, and funny as it was, audiences got tired of it.

BTW: I love Ricky Gervais.  I watched his HBO Special the other night, and I couldn't stop laughing.

You can dream…or you can do.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 04:52:17 AM »

Don't get me started on Time-Warner (AKA The Devil Incarnate)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 05:37:19 AM »

House of Flowers ordered!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 05:37:34 AM »

I am going to wash the car.  I shall be back anonce.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 05:53:51 AM »

Good morning, all! I am absolutely floored by the sad news of Marilyn Cooper's death. I loved her. I had met, and fell in love with, her on the UNSUNG SONDHEIM album, and I got to spend six weeks with her at Goodspeed doing REDHEAD in 1998. She was a delightful and kind lady. I had recently learned that she was in ahome and it was my intention to visit her. God bless her.

I may have a meeting in Toyland this morning, depending on the health of my colleague Curtis, so I'm waiting to hear his news. I also received the pdf files of the new vocal score to Jerome Moross' GENTLEMEN BE SEATED from the copyist, so I've got another job sitting on the desk. It's nice to be working.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 06:19:29 AM »

I'm sorry to hear about Marilyn Cooper, too.  I loved her in WOMAN OF THE YEAR--she was the only saving grace of that particular show.  And "At the Movies" is definately one of my favorite tracks on UNSUNG SONDHEIM.  I think the only other thing I might have seen her in on stage was BALLROOM

Hmmm...I just looked on IMDB and saw that Marilyn Cooper reprised her role in a televised version of WOMAN OF THE YEAR starring...Barbara Eden?  Where was this shown?  I have no recall of it at all...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 06:30:51 AM »

There was a guy named Pete Barbuti who had the most bizarre sense of humour around...but it was right up my alley.  I used to love him.  Druxy, I remember Stanley Myron Handleman...and, yes, he was funny...for about a year.

http://poguespages.blogspot.com

FJL

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 06:36:49 AM »

Surprisingly, there's been some tax-office work with real live deadlines, so there are returns and desk audits to do, but not overwhelming.  Also some things where the bosses had asked the client whether they could be put off until after April 15, and now they must be done.

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 06:38:03 AM »

Good morning.

I thought Studio City has been complaining about Time Warner for years, they were Adelphia before that ? (which was also the devil incarnate).

This workie must go.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 06:47:58 AM »

Two comic actresses I enjoyed a lot and I was sure would make the big time were Robin Bartlett and Valerie Mahaffey.  They both made splashes in a variety of supporting roles in sitcoms and dramadies during the 80s and 90s but nowadays pretty much have vanished.  THe last time I remember seeing Robin Bartlett was on MAD ABOUT YOU.  Valerie Mahaffey did a couple of episodes of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES (I've stopped watching so I don't know if her character ever returned.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 06:54:05 AM »

And the word of the day is: MUMPSIMUS!

Smoke on your pipe and put that in.

And The Song Of The Day Is: A HYMN TO HIM

Ben

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 06:55:42 AM »

Two comic actresses I enjoyed a lot and I was sure would make the big time were Robin Bartlett and Valerie Mahaffey.  They both made splashes in a variety of supporting roles in sitcoms and dramadies during the 80s and 90s but nowadays pretty much have vanished.  THe last time I remember seeing Robin Bartlett was on MAD ABOUT YOU.  Valerie Mahaffey did a couple of episodes of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES (I've stopped watching so I don't know if her character ever returned.)

Valerie Mahaffey did stage work in New York in the early 80s. She was in a friend's show at Circle in the Square in 1981 (Scenes and Revelations by Elan Garonzik). Mr. Rich did not much care for it but I still think it's a good piece. She also did an Off-Broadway production of The Butter and Egg Man in 1982 at an old space on Theatre Row (42nd & 9th Avenue near our Dear Fred) that no longer exists, Manhattan Punch Line. She was also in Rex (the Richard Rodgers musical about Henry the 8th) and the Frank Langella production of Dracula.

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 06:57:44 AM »

DR Jane, sorry your condition does not seem to be getting better.

Is the treatment for poison ivy the same as for poison oak?

I have no idea if this is fact. But in my niece's book (which i assume is to educate). The little girl gets poison ivy. And it is miraculously treated with something that grows in gardens called jewelweed. i have never heard of this.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 07:01:00 AM »

A quick rant...

About two years ago, a co-worker/friend and I had just finished reading THE DIVINCI CODE and grumbled about how it was really a badly written book that had a really great hook of an idea behind it.  So we began to toss around ideas for a novel that we could write together.  The best idea we came up revolved around the idea of vampires being closely linked to events in American history.  And that led to our idea about Abraham Lincoln encountering vampires both in his early days as a pioneer farmer and then in Washington DC (Lincoln, btw, was the first Goth--he always wore black, didn't he?)

Well, days ago, my heart pretty much jumped out of my mouth when I read this:  Move Over, Jane Austen. Now Lincoln Meets the Vampires

The lesson here:  don't sit on a good idea.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 07:05:38 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  It's a gorgeous day here in SW Ohio.  Richard and I will be going on a shopping errand to Cincinnati this afternoon.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 07:07:06 AM »

Valerie Mahaffey did stage work in New York in the early 80s. She was in a friend's show at Circle in the Square in 1981 (Scenes and Revelations by Elan Garonzik). Mr. Rich did not much care for it but I still think it's a good piece. She also did an Off-Broadway production of The Butter and Egg Man in 1982 at an old space on Theatre Row (42nd & 9th Avenue near our Dear Fred) that no longer exists, Manhattan Punch Line. She was also in Rex (the Richard Rodgers musical about Henry the 8th) and the Frank Langella production of Dracula.

Valerie was a University of Texas alumna and a good friend of my friend Jimmy Simpson, who was also a UofT alumnus. My memory of the early 1980s was that she was living with actor Bruce McGill then. The last tiem I saw her, she played the conniving wife of Kier Dullea on a LAW & ORDER: SVU episode. The more important question is where is Jimmy Simpspon?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 07:09:02 AM »

DR DtM - in the mid-1970s, when we were both young, restless librarians, my friend Becky and I dreamed up a business venture called the Bookery Bakery.  It would be a bookstore with a coffee shop attached.  Several years later, when we visited one of the first Border's stores in greater Cincinnati and had coffee in the cafe, we realized that we were patronizing our Bookery Bakery.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 07:09:45 AM »

Wow!  I didn't see Mahaffey in DRACULA, but I now realize that I must have seen her in PLAY MEMORY, though I don't have much memory of that play (I probably fell asleep along with the rest of the audience.)

I also see (I'm looking through IBDB) that I might have seen Robin Bartlett in YENTL on B'Way, too.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 07:11:46 AM »

I remember Robin Bartlett when she played the lesbian sister in Mad About You with Paul Reiser and Helen Hunt

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 07:14:32 AM »

DR DtM - in the mid-1970s, when we were both young, restless librarians, my friend Becky and I dreamed up a business venture called the Bookery Bakery.  It would be a bookstore with a coffee shop attached.  Several years later, when we visited one of the first Border's stores in greater Cincinnati and had coffee in the cafe, we realized that we were patronizing our Bookery Bakery.

That sucks, too, DR Ginny--you could have gotten us all Bookery Bakery discounts!
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 07:25:02 AM »

Off to Toyland.

DAW

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 07:30:05 AM »

A two-book deal worth $575,000.00 is nothing to sneeze at!       :)

Ben

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 07:36:21 AM »

Here is an obit for

Marilyn Cooper

from Playbill On-Line. I haven't seen any other mentions except for here.

Ben

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 07:42:40 AM »

Its says at Playbill that she was at the Actor's Fund home in New Jersey.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up