Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: SPOILER ALERT  (Read 28303 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:SPOILER ALERT
« Reply #150 on: January 08, 2007, 01:35:39 PM »

I know that DRMBARNUM (friend of Rad Fulton) really loves APRIL IN PARIS, but I have to agree with DR MATTH about the pairing of Bolger and Day...ZERO ZERO ZERO.  Bolger just didn't have "IT."  

I didn't necessarily buy Day as a stripper named Dynamite chosen to represent the Arts in Paris....

And well...as Judy G. said about Ray:  "Different music - same god damned dance."
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #151 on: January 08, 2007, 01:36:05 PM »

Carroll Baker Dance!  :o

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #152 on: January 08, 2007, 01:42:42 PM »

Whew - just watched the APRIL IN PARIS trailer at IMDB....them was sure some ugly clothes Dodo was wearing.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #153 on: January 08, 2007, 01:45:29 PM »

Exhibit A:

Tomovoz

« Reply #154 on: January 08, 2007, 01:54:18 PM »

Historical context of "Dreamgirls" in reference to Australian music tastes.

I doubt very many people would have known of Etta James or Carla Thomas etc. Marivn Gaye never had a hit record in this country.  James Brown managed to crack the top 40 once only (and just) with "It's A Man's World". The Supremes  could not make the top 40 here with "Baby Love", or "Stop In the Name Of Love".  They had minor hits with a few songs like "The Happening" and "You Can't hurry Love". They did not really havea major hit until "Love Child".  We also did  not really embrace "Aretha" and the Atlantic Record stars either.

MOR stars such as Ben E King and Brook Benton met with some success but Sam Cooke and Jackie Wilson had very little impact in terms of record sales.

"Race" music influenced musicians and thus had an indirect influence on pop music here.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #155 on: January 08, 2007, 02:00:07 PM »

I guess what it seen as soulful emoting is seen here as histrionics.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #156 on: January 08, 2007, 02:14:32 PM »

DR TOMovOZ what were you reading last when you wore your glasses...are you sure they are not in your car?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #157 on: January 08, 2007, 02:15:11 PM »

Tonight 8 p m EST - Figure Skating Grand Prix finals.  I thought that was yesterday, maybe that wasn't the finals!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #158 on: January 08, 2007, 02:17:11 PM »

Oh it's taped....it happened in December....Oh!!!

Ginny

« Reply #159 on: January 08, 2007, 02:28:45 PM »

Whew!  All Christmas decorations are packed away and I'm exhausted.  Soon, DH Richard and I will sit down to a dinner of pot roast, potatoes, carrots, and crescent rolls.  That should revive me somewhat.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Tomovoz

« Reply #160 on: January 08, 2007, 02:29:47 PM »

DR TOMovOZ what were you reading last when you wore your glasses...are you sure they are not in your car?
Searched both cars thoroughly DR Jack  Also searched through the trash (No. I don't mean the Bette Midler recordings), the laundry etc.
It's a possiblity that I had them in my shirt pocket and lost them at the shopping centre but it would be unusual for me to take this set of glasses with me.  I have an old pair the car.  I did telephone the shop I visited on Saturday morning.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #161 on: January 08, 2007, 02:32:33 PM »

I should offer a prayer to St Anthony. I think he is the appropriate Saint.  Maybe I'll just check with Ben.
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #162 on: January 08, 2007, 02:33:12 PM »

I know that DRMBARNUM (friend of Rad Fulton) really loves APRIL IN PARIS, but I have to agree with DR MATTH about the pairing of Bolger and Day...ZERO ZERO ZERO.  Bolger just didn't have "IT."  

I didn't necessarily buy Day as a stripper named Dynamite chosen to represent the Arts in Paris....

And well...as Judy G. said about Ray:  "Different music - same god damned dance."

Yes, but she wasn't a stripper. She was a chorus girl. I doubt Warners would EVER have allowed Doris to play a stripper.

I agree with Judy about Bolger's dancing. Certain moves he did in every single dance in every film. I always thought he and Margaret Hamilton could have been brother and sister.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #163 on: January 08, 2007, 02:35:01 PM »

Off to clean the dining room now. Then, back to some DVDs before settling in with CBS' line-up.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #164 on: January 08, 2007, 02:35:48 PM »

DR Michael S - great Disneyland video!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2007, 02:42:32 PM »

LOL....well when I first saw the movie when I was nine years old....a chorus girl WAS a stripper!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2007, 02:42:56 PM »

"Darling, I simply revel in early English perpendicular!"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2007, 02:48:58 PM »

"The plot was tortuous, but I found the exposition of it quite adroit."

Tomovoz

« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2007, 02:49:33 PM »

LOL....well when I first saw the movie when I was nine years old....a chorus girl WAS a stripper!
Great response JRand.  LOL
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2007, 02:53:07 PM »

Just thought of a stage musical that really worked (for me) as a filmed musical - Little Shop of Horrors.

I love this movie but I love the stage version better (unless it's done badly...and I've seen it done very badly :P). I also have the recalled special edition DVD with the original ending in the bonus section. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #170 on: January 08, 2007, 02:53:15 PM »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2007, 02:54:19 PM »

Another LITTLE SHOP fan here....original movie, stage, AND filmed musical versions all.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #172 on: January 08, 2007, 02:55:16 PM »

I didn't see CALL ME MADAM onstage, but can't imagine it was any brighter or funnier than the film version.  Love Ethel in this role, probably the BEST one she ever had on film....or close to it.

George

« Reply #173 on: January 08, 2007, 02:55:23 PM »

Gene Kelly in "Xanadu":  I've been known to twinkle a toe or two.

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #174 on: January 08, 2007, 02:55:45 PM »

Zero Mostel in "Forum" (I don't remember if this was actually in the movie, though):  Was "One" a good year?

Cillaliz

« Reply #175 on: January 08, 2007, 03:00:26 PM »

AWK! I'm glad today is over.  My boss decided to do evaluations and gave me low marks for "Plays well with others"  I guess the "others" in the office don't think I'm nice enough. Well if they were competent I'd be nice.   Anyway, it's the first time he's ever really listened to my side of the whole story.   He was about to talk to the rest of them about it when I left to take Callie to the vet...she has acne, lol.  

So, I won't find out until tomorrow how things are.  I say they can all just grow up and adjust.  Actually the last time I heard something like this from him, he didn't listen to me,  and I told him that. I'm not someone who calls and rats on people, but today I told him exactly how I've been treated for the past 6 months and the shit I've been putting up with.

So, we'll see what happens. It's so childish.  After my trips to New York this year, I think it's time to start saving up for a big change.

George

« Reply #176 on: January 08, 2007, 03:03:05 PM »

From "Nine to Five" (copied from the IMDb listing):

I'm a doctor. So why the hell am I talking to you? Piss off!

Doralee: So, you've been tellin' everybody I've been sleepin' with ya, huh? Well that explains it! That's why these people treat me like some dime-store floozy. They think I'm screwin' the boss! Oooh, and you just love it, don't you? It gives you some sort of cheap thrill like knockin' over pencils and pickin' up papers! Get your scummy hands offa me! Look I've been straight with you since the first day I got here, and I've put up with all of your pinchin' and starin' and chasin' me around the desk because I need this job. But this is the last straw! Look, I've got a gun out there in my purse. Up until now I've been forgivin' and forgettin' because of the way I was brought up, but I'll tell you one thing...if you ever say another word about me or make another indecent proposal, I'm gonna get that gun of mine, and I'm gonna change you from a rooster to a hen with one shot! And don't think I can't do it!

I need a drink, Roz.

You're a sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot.

I'm as nice as I know how to be to every single person in that office. Everyone treats me like a bastard at a family reunion.

What are you, a man or a mouse? I mean, a woman or a wouse?

Well, I say we hire a couple'a wranglers to go upstairs and beat the shit out of him.

Dick Bernly: But, Judy, you can't do this! This isn't you!
Judy Bernly: Don't you tell me what I can or can't do! Those days are over! And if I want to have an affair, or play sex games, or do M&M's, you can't stop me!

Cillaliz

« Reply #177 on: January 08, 2007, 03:03:24 PM »

Time to feed the cats, then I have to go back to the office and finish up a few things I didn't get done due to the above.  I'm glad I'll be in court all day tomorrow

Cillaliz

« Reply #178 on: January 08, 2007, 03:06:15 PM »

I'm going to Mama Mia tomorrow night. It's in Sioux City for the week. Anybody know anyone on this tour?

Michael

« Reply #179 on: January 08, 2007, 03:12:47 PM »

Thank you to the people who took the time to look at the Disneyland Music Video I posted on You Tube. I appreciated the feedbacks. I was wondering if this is something I should for fun. BK has recorded a lot of other great songs. So there is a lot to mine from.
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Up