Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: ATTACK OF THE CLONES  (Read 37142 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:ATTACK OF THE CLONES
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2004, 12:56:56 PM »

Tomovoz I see you have joined us.  

Happy Labour Day!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2004, 12:57:25 PM »

I wish I could have boysenberry syrup!  Say, wait just a darned minute.  That would be a good boy band name, wouldn't it?

Boyz 'n Berry

We shall have to alert Halle immediately.  Maybe their first single could be "Hit and Run."
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2004, 12:59:22 PM »

In case anyone sees me lurking today -- I'm not. I'm trying to get a rewrite done REALLY fast. If I stop to post, it's just too much fun and next thing I know 20 minutes of rewrite time has gone by. But I need to get a HHW fix on occasion, so I log on and just read, but do not post. Like I'm not posting right now.  I'm not. This isn't posting. No. I am not typing letters. This is not posting. Stop me before I post!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2004, 01:04:04 PM »

Gail Russell was scared.  She had terrible stage fright all her career which led to a drinking problem and her early death.

Tomovoz

« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2004, 01:05:14 PM »

Thanks Jane. Labour day? It is Labor Day here on Monday - for some reason the  the Labor Party etc use the American spelling but usually we spell the word as Labour. Labour day celebrates "organised Labour" and the original fight for a 40 hour week.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2004, 01:09:11 PM »

Alcoholism is so sad.  Too bad she just couldn’t retire from show business and find happiness elsewhere.

Panni-LOL.  Have fun with your rewrite.

Jane

« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2004, 01:14:42 PM »

Tomovoz my International Holidays list says Labour Day is on the 3rd-oops, means I should have posted yesterday.  Now I see it is down again on the 10th, along with Canberra Day & Commonwealth Day.  What the heck is Canberra Day and how can you have so many holidays on the same day?  This list also has Eight Hours Day on the 3rd.  What is that?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2004, 01:16:12 PM »

DR William E Lurie,

I'm sorry not to get back to you sooner; I've been in a production meeting all day about WHERE's CHARLEY?, which will open in July at Goodspeed Opera House in East Haddam, CT.  We begin rehearsals on June 8 (?) and they're casting Charley this week.  The fabulous Tony Walton is designing and directing, and I think it will be a lot of fun.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2004, 01:26:47 PM »

According to the studio checklist,"Cabin in the Sky," "Honey in the Honeycomb," Love Me Tomorrow," "In My Old Viriginia Home," and "Taking a Chance on Love" were used from the original score. Harburg and Arlen contributed "Happiness Is Just a Thing Called Joe," "Li'l Black Sheep," "That Old Debbil Consequence," "Some Folk Work," and "Ain't It the Truth." Roger Edens contributed "Forward," "The Prayer," "Dusky Jezebel," "Sweet Petunia," and "But the Flesh Is Weak."

I don't think any amount of petitioning will convince the Gershwin estate to let go of PORGY AND BESS. I am glad I got to see it once, but I suspect we'll never see it again. Could they have gone so far as to have burned the negative and destroyed all copies in existence?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2004, 01:37:17 PM »

I don't think any amount of petitioning will convince the Gershwin estate to let go of PORGY AND BESS. I am glad I got to see it once, but I suspect we'll never see it again. Could they have gone so far as to have burned the negative and destroyed all copies in existence?

DR Matt H -

Could you expand? What's the issue here? Thanks.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2004, 01:37:35 PM »

Soon I shall be lunching with Alet Taylor (no more Oury - EVER) and daughter at Du-Par's.

Bruce, how do you pronouce her first name?  "A-let" or "A-lay" or something else and which syllable has the accent (if one does)?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2004, 01:42:52 PM »

DR Jane. They are not national holidays. Each state has some holidays not shared by others. Canberra is the capital of the ACT (Australian Capital Territory) - like Washinton DC. I have no idea what Canberra Day is!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

William E. Lurie

« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2004, 01:54:44 PM »

Thans Elmore.  Goodspeed means people who don't drive can't see the shows.  There are no trains or buses.  I know.  I've called every couple of years hoping there was a change.  I guess I'll miss this production too.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2004, 02:06:57 PM »

DR Matt H -

Could you expand? What's the issue here? Thanks.

From what I understand, the Gershwin estate loathed the film, the way the score was handled (abbreviated), didn't like the casting (except for Sammy Davis), and have forbidden it to ever be seen again. They've turned down all offers for video release or rights for television airings. They want the movie gone forever, as if it never existed.

To be honest, the soundtrack album for the film was my preferred way of listening to this score.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2004, 02:20:46 PM »

Speaking of burning negatives, etc.

I have long heard that when MGM decided to film "Gaslight," with Charles Boyer and Ingrid Bergman, that they bought the negative and all copies of a British version of the play and destroyed them.

This past weekend, that old tale was put to rest when KQED aired "Gaslight" starring Diana Wynyard and Anton Walbrook.  It was just under 90 minutes long and is stunningly performed.  It has been a while since I saw Boyer/Bergman but I remembered it as being a bit deliberately paced.  Not so this version.

The print was from Turner, so it was apparently out of the MGM archives.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2004, 02:36:35 PM »

The British Gaslight has long been available on video (I've had it for at least five or six years), so I don't know where that rumor got started.  Suppressed, yes.  Destroyed, no.

Here's something funny:  I just got a really cool Czech poster for the film Frances and the star is billed as Jessica Langeova.  It's a sort of "Follies" like poster, with a profile of Ms. Langeova deteriorating into weird ghostlike shapes.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2004, 02:37:07 PM »

P.S.  Pow-la, what have you done with the lovely brooch?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2004, 02:42:31 PM »

DR Matt H,  I believe there is a print of PORGY AND BESS at the Library of Congress.  I've heard the rumor for years that the Gershwin family was unhappy with the film, and it appears to be true, so  I was surprised they approved the Glyndebourne production, in which Porgy rises up and walks at the end!  I guess the goat cart and the cripple act were all a con.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2004, 02:49:04 PM »

Does anyone else feel that 10 months is a little early to be posting Closing Notices??  According to Playbill.com, 42nd Street Revival Will Close Jan. 2, 2005
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2004, 02:57:22 PM »

The English Gaslight is included on the new DVD of the American Gaslight.  Very nice looking it is, too.

Fat doesn't matter in the Atkins diet, Jane.  I ended up having a bacon cheeseburger without the bun and it actually was very good.

I've seen Porgy and Bess, the film, several times over the last few years, as my friend owns a 35mm Tech stereo print of it.  The estate has, in fact, allowed that print to be shown a couple of times.  And just to clear up what they really loathe about - it's the redone orchestrations of Andre Previn.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2004, 02:58:11 PM »

Oh, and it's Ah-let, accent on the let.  Daughter is adorable and we bonded instantly and had a grand time.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2004, 03:24:49 PM »

In a few moments, I'm off to play at the Kimmel Center, or Kimmel Theatre, or Kimmel Something-or-Other right on Washington Square.  Never been there before, but will persist in thinking of it as "The House That Bruce Built."
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2004, 03:47:21 PM »

Got the test hardcover today and it looks faboo.  I'll be able to place the order by Friday, at least a week earlier than anticipated, and unless there's a backup in the printing plant, I should have the books sooner than expected and I will ship them out same day.

In order to do that and place the correct order, if you've been delaying ordering, if there's any way for you to complete your orders in the next day or two it would be most helpful to me.  

Jane

« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2004, 03:58:51 PM »

Tomovoz from now on I will only pay attention to the major holidays on my list.   ;D

Bruce-good news on the test hardcover.  March is looking like a good month for you.  :)  

Danise

« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2004, 04:09:30 PM »

Evening all.  Not much to say.  It was a long day at work and I'm going to hit the hay early tonight.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2004, 04:11:47 PM »

People on this here site are always hitting the fershluganah hay.  What, may I ask, has the hay ever done to deserve such treatment.  Shame on the hay hitters, or as Mr. Ingmar Bergman would say, "Skammen unska da hayska hitterska."

Danise

« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2004, 04:15:32 PM »

Well, somebody has to do it.   :D  It forgets its place if you don't hit  it on a regular basis.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #117 on: March 03, 2004, 04:15:52 PM »

Yes they are from Oregon, and I have already set my sights set on Benjamin Pontipee (of course I may have to battle DR MattH for him!)

Dibs on Gideon!
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #118 on: March 03, 2004, 04:35:35 PM »

Question for BK:  Have you ever worked on a project - at whatever stage - that ended up getting some additional publicity from another "source"?  -Like the workshop on tonight's episode of "Queer Eye"?

Or has there ever been a project that started off as one thing, but somewhere along the line became something totally different... and it actually worked?

Ummm... <cough>..... <cough>....

???
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: March 03, 2004, 04:53:24 PM »

No to the first part, yes, sort of, to the second part.  Several things that ended up in the Kritzer books were first used in my One from Column A column - where Meryle Secrest was supposedly writing a biography of The Real A's life.  That's where those seeds were planted, albeit in a much different form.  And the musical David Wechter and I are sort of working on started life as a film script by me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up