Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WACKADOO!  (Read 28938 times)

Ben

Re:WACKADOO!
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2006, 11:53:30 AM »

Larry, he will be thrilled!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #151 on: March 07, 2006, 11:59:57 AM »

in re:  John Revolta as Edna.

Besides the fact that this is a complete transvest travesty, I'd like to address DR Pogue's comments about drag from a few days ago.

I recently read quotes from two well-known cross-dressing artists on the subject.

Upon essaying the part of Edna, Harvey, who has done wild and flamboyant drag in his day, made the distinction between "doing drag" and "playing a woman" and that he approached the two entirely differently.  The idea being, I think, that although there is comedy in the rôle of Edna, it does not arise from the fact that she is played by a man in a dress.

Charles Busch said the same thing:  He has never been a "drag queen".  He is an actor who plays female rôles as well as male ones.

All of which will probably be completely lost on Vinnie Barbarino and whoever directs him.  It will be "so I wore a dress in a movie:  now can I have my Oscar?"

"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #152 on: March 07, 2006, 12:03:08 PM »

I mean, if they wanted mainstream name recognition, couldn't they go with John Goodman, for example?
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #153 on: March 07, 2006, 12:08:36 PM »

Boy can this room empty out fast when I step in!
--Wayland Flowers

Ben

« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2006, 12:12:34 PM »

I'm Still Here (Follies)

But I'm about to leave (no reference that I know of)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #155 on: March 07, 2006, 12:14:01 PM »

Hello Billy boy!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #156 on: March 07, 2006, 12:15:29 PM »

I kept getting thrown out of this site all day.  I could read, but everytime I tried to post  I was out on my ear.  Guess somebody is telling me to "shaddup already!"

MBarnum

« Reply #157 on: March 07, 2006, 12:18:05 PM »

I must admit I never heard of Myron Healy. I found this copy of a lobby card which provided a picture. He's the one in the green shirt, correct Mr. Barnum?

That is correct DR Ben!

You couldn't watch any 1950s TV or movies without coming across Myron Healy at least a dozen times or more...he was in everything!

MBarnum

« Reply #158 on: March 07, 2006, 12:20:06 PM »

Tell Anthony I have a 1905 theatre scrapbook at the office to show him.

Couldn't find the etchings I guess?

MBarnum

« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2006, 12:23:59 PM »

Releasing on DVD today...I had totally forgotten about this cartoon!!! LOL!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 12:25:45 PM by MBarnum »

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2006, 12:26:25 PM »

Well, as long as I have it all to myself, and I spent the last two days reading through the Oscar posts (much more entertaining, I am sure, than actually watching the telecast), and I have finally--pant, pant, pant--caught up, I might as well start rambling...

TOD:  

Ramble One:  When I first began teaching, I would always be terribly nervous the first day of any class.  It would begin with the traditional "pedagogical nightmare":  can't find the classroom, can't find the building, lecturing to the wrong class on the wrong subject--common nightmares among educators.

Then I would shake with fear until about half-way through class.  After that, no problem for the rest of the semester.  Once I had been teaching for about ten years, the nervousness abated, although I do have the occasional pedagogical nightmare the night before a semester starts.

Ramble Two:  When I was in the BMI Musical Theatre Workshop (was it really thirty years ago?  FJL, ask Skip if it was really thirty years ago!), I would get "butterflies in the stomach" on days when my work was being performed.  Even though it was always my composer who actually performed, never me.  I just had to sit there and turn beet red (a talent my face used to have at all the wrong times, but which rarely happens any more) while the composer played and sang and Lehman tore our work limb from limb.  

Then one day, when I believe Herb Kaplan was going to do two of our songs, I got to the city a couple of hours early, and I headed down to Wall Street to a certain "special interest" location for "special interest" activities.  For over an hour.

I got to workshop, Herb sang our songs, a discussion ensued, Lehman made some of his usual pointed and witty criticism, and I remained calm as a sleepy gazelle in a poppy field.

I found that the same strategy worked on future occasions, too.
--Wayland Flowers

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: March 07, 2006, 12:29:32 PM »

They've apparently fixed whatever was wrong.  Of course, they didn't acknowledge anything WAS wrong, heaven forbid they should do that.  Clearly there was something wrong and now there isn't.  They said to clear my cache.  I told them my cache was quite clear and that it's been a prob for five hours.  Anyway, it's working now.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #162 on: March 07, 2006, 12:42:45 PM »

I kept getting thrown out of this site all day.  I could read, but everytime I tried to post  I was out on my ear.  Guess somebody is telling me to "shaddup already!"

Sounds like "aversion" therapy!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #163 on: March 07, 2006, 12:52:46 PM »

Quote from: JRand55 on Yesterday at 23:20:55

Eventually she began studying on her own, and discovered that she had lead poisoning.  A technician asked for a sample of all medications she had taken and let her know that the supplement (not regulated by the FDA and imported from England) had nearly 1000 times the safe limit of lead in it.

It was a slow death sentence, and there was nothing she could do.  Allison lived about four years longer after the diagnosis, and pleaded with the FDA to start regulating supplements - they said they were studying it...but it remains a gray area today....ask Sara Shane!

She died On February 27, 1977, a few days shy of her 47th birthday.  

You can read my two-part bio of her here: (this is part two, with a link to part one).

http://www.horror-wood.com/allison.htm

Now, aren't you glad you asked?

This is particularly interesting to me, since, as some of you know, a similar thing happened to my Joe.

In 1989 he was taking a "food supplement" (unregulated by any government agency), the amino acid L-tryptophan [pr:  el trip toe fain] as a "natural sleeping pill" because he wanted to stop those pharmaceutical hypnogogics the doctors were prescribing.  And it worked.  He got the best natural REM sleep he had had in years.  And he was permanently crippled by it--not by the LT itself, mind you, but by a contaminant.

The FDA initially acted quickly:  when two doctors in New Mexico, comparing notes on two patients, discovered that they both had the same symptoms and had been taking LT, they notified the FDA, which immediately took it off the shelves throughout the country.

Problem is, it was not L-tryptophan itself that was the problem, only batches that had been produced by the Japanese company Showa Denko, using genetically engineered bacteria, which were producing the LT and additional contaminants as well.

And 17 years later, with 5 to 10 thousand Americans crippled for life by this strange protean disease (it's called Eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome--EMS), that's all the FDA has done.  It's still illegal to sell L-tryptophan, even uncontaminated L-tryptophan.

But other "food supplements", hundreds of them, are still sold, imported, exported, with essentially no controls whatever.  

Not that the food-supplement business isn't a mult-billion-dollar-a-year industry!  Of course, I'm sure none of their money finds it into the hands of congressmen who would vote on any laws governing the FDA.   :P

How do you spell Abramoff?

--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #164 on: March 07, 2006, 01:06:29 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I decided to go ahead and be domestic for a while... Wash some dishes, vacuum the rugs, tidy up the livingroom, etc...  Guess I do need to get back to NYC.  Soon!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2006, 01:09:35 PM »

Song that's currently stuck in my head:

"Beautiful Girl" as sung by Jimmy Thompson in SINGING IN THE RAIN.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: March 07, 2006, 01:12:51 PM »

Perhaps HHW is a victim today of the same malaise affecting the New York airports; flights are in trouble because the computer controlling the radar is a mess and flights cannot land or take off.  Oy!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 01:13:25 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #167 on: March 07, 2006, 01:13:12 PM »

I liked last night's MEDIUM very much, and as I said, I felt totally discombobulated for the first half hour by the way the episode was set up. I love it when that happens because the more we see, the more things start to make sense that seemed weird to us (and to Allison) from the beginning.

Really unusual show that makes the most of its gimmick.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #168 on: March 07, 2006, 01:14:31 PM »

How kind of you to enlighten me.  I've only heard "prep" used in medical situations.

If he hadn't, I would have.

Matt H.

« Reply #169 on: March 07, 2006, 01:16:08 PM »

DR MattH, tonight not only has American Idol but also new episodes of Boston Legal and The Amazing Race.

Yes, I knew that. I don't regularly watch them (though I have seen them both on occasion), so that's why I didn't mention them.

Matt H.

« Reply #170 on: March 07, 2006, 01:18:28 PM »

I just read that actor Myron Healy passed away...way back in December! I can't believe it is just now making the news! Poor Myron.

Oh, I just loved him as the Bully of Dry Gulch in that SUPERMAN episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #171 on: March 07, 2006, 01:22:43 PM »

I watched HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER first this afternoon. This is the first episode I've really, really liked in quite a few months. Beautifully plotted with two sides of the story, funny and poignant and real. I thoroughly enjoyed this episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #172 on: March 07, 2006, 01:24:36 PM »

Next came COURTING ALEX, but while there were some bright lines, I thought most of the episode was sort of lame.

Matt H.

« Reply #173 on: March 07, 2006, 01:26:14 PM »

CSI: MIAMI had an unusual case with two dead bodies in a wrecked car. As usual with the show, much more there than what initially appeared to be the case.

Still wondering who the mole is within the team. That's going to be a shock when it's finally revealed because at certain moments, every one of them (other than David Caruso) has seemed suspicious.

Matt H.

« Reply #174 on: March 07, 2006, 01:30:23 PM »

Then watched the high definition broadcast of SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW recorded off Showtime HD (not HBO-HD as I initially said).

High def does this film no favors. Since everything other than the human beings was computer generated. the added resolution gives everything a less than real presence. Perhaps that was the goal, to make it seem more like a living comic book rather than real life (possibly why the color on everyone seems painted on rather than realistic color with contrast turned up and color desaturated a bit).

In any event, since the computer can create any kind of monster, machine, design, etc. things sort of cease being amazing after a short while. We know nothing is really there, and it becomes an exercise in design rather than a movie to get involved with.

Matt H.

« Reply #175 on: March 07, 2006, 01:33:35 PM »

Hmmm......

there's an ambulance at the church across the street, and police are outside detouring traffic down the side street next to my house. I can't imagine what has happened over there.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: March 07, 2006, 01:43:53 PM »

If he hadn't, I would have.

I would have expected nothing less.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

« Reply #177 on: March 07, 2006, 01:55:05 PM »

nobody loves me, everybody hates me, think I'll go eat worms...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #178 on: March 07, 2006, 01:58:17 PM »

Back from a fun class - everyone enjoyed the little "history" lesson.  Must now ship some packages.

There's definitely a problem with accessing this board through the shortcut of haineshisway.com/community, the way I normally do.  Works fine if you go through the site itself, but if you don't you get

Safari can’t open the page “http://www.haineshisway.com/community/” because it could not load any data from this location.

Neither can Opera (a webbrowser)....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #179 on: March 07, 2006, 01:59:37 PM »

I would have expected nothing less.

It's the polite thing to do...answering a question.  I'm sure anyone would have done it.

:)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up