Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: PSEUDOEPHEDRINE  (Read 56843 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:PSEUDOEPHEDRINE
« Reply #150 on: May 14, 2007, 10:26:34 AM »

Also the attention span of the younger generation tends to be  different than those of the baby boomers and older gen x who prefer a more stable format of defined characters and plot.

My hypothesis is MTV has also contributed to the demise of quality television in the regard that many want their programs fast and flashy and that is turning away a viewer base that is not keen on that concept.

ETA: catching spelling errors!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 10:29:41 AM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2007, 10:26:42 AM »

In other news:

Today is our 13th anniversary. I'm going to pretend that 13 is a lucky number!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2007, 10:26:48 AM »

Page 6 dance!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2007, 10:28:06 AM »

Before I forget:

TOD

The first time i saw THE EXORCIST when I was babysitting a neighbors kid and it was on late it night. Seeing Linda Blair's eyes turn yellow and her head spinning really bothered me for quite awhile.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2007, 10:28:25 AM »

Congrats Edi!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2007, 10:28:27 AM »

I have several hundreds of dollars worth of stamps -- some are unmarked so I don't remember what they were intended to be -- full-value fill-ins until new. higher-rate stamps could be printed or simply supplementary stamps -- such as a 2-cent fill-in to add to an older stamp to meet a higher rate.

Sigh.

I have bunches of odd stamps...and I seldom "mail" anything any more.

DR Ron Pulliam - "several hundreds of worth of stamps"?  Well, I guess you could do what I do when I have "extra" old stamps, I just double them up on the mail I'm sending.  And sometimes I even make designs - I put one this way, one the other way, etc.  ;)

*However, I'd set the sheets of "unknown" stamps by your door, so that on your next trip to the post office you can take them to find out their value.  And, if you happen to have full sheets and/or rolls of them, you may be able to trade them in...  If you smile purty and bat your eyes.  -Although, when I worked in an office oh so many years ago, I was able to trade is a few sheets of "old" stamps for new ones.  And I didn't have smile purty or bat my eyes.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2007, 10:30:18 AM »

Happy anniversary, edi!

singdaw

« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2007, 10:35:40 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS TO DR EDISAURUS AND HER DH!
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2007, 10:40:06 AM »

-Although, when I worked in an office oh so many years ago, I was able to trade is a few sheets of "old" stamps for new ones.  And I didn't have smile purty or bat my eyes.  ;)

In other words, give 'em the old hairy eyeball!

And smile.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2007, 10:41:01 AM »

It's a plot, I tell ya....a plot!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2007, 10:41:21 AM »

Or a plotz.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2007, 10:41:56 AM »

Happy Anniversary, DR edisaurus!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2007, 10:43:01 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO DR EDISAURUS AND HER DH  ! ! ! ! ![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: May 14, 2007, 10:43:03 AM »

Also the attention span of the younger generation tends to be  different than those of the baby boomers and older gen x who prefer a more stable format of defined characters and plot.

My hypothesis is MTV has also contributed to the demise of quality television in the regard that many want their programs fast and flashy and that is turning away a viewer base that is not keen on that concept.

ETA: catching spelling errors!

Well...  In a sort of ironic twist, the shorter attention spans can be traced to PBS.  Namely, "Sesame Street".  Yes, the show has educated and entertained thousands - if not millions - of children over the years, but each of those segments run no longer than two or three minutes.  Yes, young children aren't naturally inclined to pay attention for longer periods, but if there's no follow-up to "Sesame Street" - I mean, "Electric Company" and "3-2-1 Contact" disappeared years ago.  Heck, even "Reading Rainbow" covers four or five books in one half-hour program at times.  I mean you can't expect a "Sesame Streeter" to graduate to "Masterpiece Theatre" overnight.  At the age of nine.

*But now that PBS seems to have turned into endless fund-raising drives - on tape! - and featuring material that, at least to my eyes and ears, is not really "pledge worthy", well... That's a totally different discussion/argument.
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #164 on: May 14, 2007, 10:45:49 AM »

give 'em the old hairy eyeball!

Well, I'd rather that, than a hairy hairball!    :P

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #165 on: May 14, 2007, 10:47:18 AM »

I finished watching "Popular", the second season yesterday afternoon.

There were many, many pleasures to this TV series, with some fascinating characters, some riotous dialogue, and a very good cast.

One surprise I had was learning that Tammy Lynn Michaels, who brilliantly portrayed queen-bitch-of-the-universe Nicole Julian, is none other than the current "wife" of Melissa Etheridge.

The series was termed a "dramedy", and it lived up to the drama part of the term in the second season as the shows became more serious, and better because of that seriousness.  The zippy one-liners still got flung and the "messages" weren't as in-your-face as they were, at times, in the first season.  It's target audience was always teenagers but there is a great deal to be treasured by us more "mature" viewers, too.

Sadly, the show ended on a rather upsetting cliffhanger and was cancelled after having been promised a third season.

Sigh.  Still and all, the two seaons on DVD are well worth having and treasuring.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #166 on: May 14, 2007, 10:50:08 AM »

And this is Iowa, why?

The charm of wide-eyed innocence?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #167 on: May 14, 2007, 10:51:20 AM »

DRJOse:
Well...  In a sort of ironic twist, the shorter attention spans can be traced to PBS.  Namely, "Sesame Street".  Yes, the show has educated and entertained thousands - if not millions - of children over the years, but each of those segments run no longer than two or three minutes.  Yes, young children aren't naturally inclined to pay attention for longer periods, but if there's no follow-up to "Sesame Street" - I mean, "Electric Company" and "3-2-1 Contact" disappeared years ago.  Heck, even "Reading Rainbow" covers four or five books in one half-hour program at times.  I mean you can't expect a "Sesame Streeter" to graduate to "Masterpiece Theatre" overnight.  At the age of nine.

I agree, they cover too much too fast and I even find it fast. I love a good story whether it is children or adult. I grew up listening to grandparents that would weave stories and allow you sit in some adult conversations and treat  you with respect. Sadly you do not see that anymore. I like REading Rainbow and it has its merits but I would prefer they cover no more than two books. I have lost respect for Sesame Street in recent years for they seem to have lost their way. There is not intermediate to Sesame Street. Heck, I remember college students back in the day watching Electric Company becuase it was fun to see actors doing something positive unlike certain celebutramps!

Cartoon network is not help either and I see that channel as a HUGE outlet for advertising.

*But now that PBS seems to have turned into endless fund-raising drives - on tape! - and featuring material that, at least to my eyes and ears, is not really "pledge worthy", well... That's a totally different discussion/argument.

I would rather watch History Channel or Discovery  than PBS sometimes. The pledge breaks are almost annoying and often not even worth watching. Programs they pre-empt for their 'special pledge programs' are far more worthy of viewing.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #168 on: May 14, 2007, 10:51:37 AM »

I used to like TLC but they have really gone down the tubes.

MBarnum

« Reply #169 on: May 14, 2007, 10:53:09 AM »

Lawn is mowed and weeds are no more. It is such a beautiful day out!! I hate to go in to work, but fortunately I don't do so until 1pm on Mondays! Woo hoo!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #170 on: May 14, 2007, 10:54:24 AM »

Granted the 80s had some cheesy and truly bad programming at times but at least it was far better than some of the trash that is on now. They (the networks) all go for whims of the advertisers and I often wonder if they truly understand their demo groups or pretend and take a wild guess at what they want to watch
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 10:59:45 AM by DakotaCelt »

singdaw

« Reply #171 on: May 14, 2007, 10:56:02 AM »

The charm of wide-eyed innocence?

A "look" that most H/Ks have trouble pulling off with any conviction.

;)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #172 on: May 14, 2007, 10:57:01 AM »

I need to log off this beast here in the Architecture library and head back to the main library to the fun and games there... :-)

Will try to check and later this afternoon. Have a good afternoon everyone and take care!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #173 on: May 14, 2007, 10:58:39 AM »

My parents took us to see that at the drive-in when I was about 7.

Isn't it amazing to recall the abusive things we over-50 crowd endured at the hands of our parents? And, see, we turned out just fine...then again...

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #174 on: May 14, 2007, 11:00:52 AM »

;)

INnocence?? Mischief is far better!

MBarnum

« Reply #175 on: May 14, 2007, 11:01:48 AM »

A huge happy anniversary to you Edisaurus and hubby!!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #176 on: May 14, 2007, 11:05:43 AM »

And congratulations on your new moves, DR Rodzinski!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #177 on: May 14, 2007, 11:12:31 AM »

Hmm... I wonder if they changed our mail delivery schedule along with the postage rates today.  Normally, the mail is here by Noon, 12:30 at the latest, but not today...  Hmm..
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #178 on: May 14, 2007, 11:13:41 AM »

;)

"Most"?  MOST?

I don't have a clue what you mean, sir!

singdaw

« Reply #179 on: May 14, 2007, 11:14:27 AM »

And congratulations on your new moves, DR Rodzinski!

And here's but one of them...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up