Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING OSCAR  (Read 41331 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING OSCAR
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2005, 10:43:15 AM »

And one for Mahler.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2005, 10:45:13 AM »

Holy moley on rye - page three!

SARSAPARILLA, pardner.

All these attempts to pander to a young demographic are precisely the thing that could make the show classically bad.

I'm thinkin' Clint will win Best Director, I'm thinkin' Hillary Swank will win Best Actress, I'm thinkin' Million Dollar Baby will win Best Picture.

Ben

« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2005, 10:53:13 AM »

Methinks we will reach the 100,000 post mark sometime today. I will probably miss it. Even though I have no particular desire to watch the Oscars (tm) I will be at a small party. My two theatre buddies and best friends (next to my husband Anthony) and I get together to watch and dish and eat. So as not to break tradition we will gather together again this year and do the same thing. I'm bringing dessert. I don't know what I wlll bring. Depends on what Garden of Eden has for rich, sumputious treats. We won't have computer access so I won't be watching and posting, nor will I be able to celebrate the posting of 100,000 but my thoughts will be with those who are watching and posting and taking part.

Elmore, best of wishes and vibes to the regions that need them.

After looking at the major nominees I realize I haven't seen a single one of the movies/performances. There are a few things I would like to see, such as Finding Neverland and I will probably see them on DVD or a movie channel but that's in the future. I do remember when I went on binges, making sure to see every nominated film in every major category. I haven't done that in years. Oh, well. I do hope that the format changes mean this telecast won't run on until past midnight but that's a silly dream isn't it.

Well, I must move about and do things. Anthony is on LI doing a clown show again (two this weekend) and I am putting finishing touches on some of my BBC reviews. I also have part of the Sunday paper left to read so on that note (C#) I will leave you all and probably not return until tomorrow morning at the office.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2005, 10:56:18 AM »

Here is a "ballot" type page for some of the Nominations.

http://www.scubacontest.com/oscar/index.asp?pollid=23

This promises to be the WORST telecast EVER....I mean it.  The only thing that would make it worse is Debbie Allen and her choreography (which hasn't changed since TV's FAME).

DRJRand54, Miss Allen's most frightenng job was probably the choreography for the epic bomb CARRIE, which still brings chills to me.  Her Oscar work is tasteful compared to CARRIE.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 10:56:40 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2005, 10:59:15 AM »

DRJRand54, Miss Allen's most frightenng job was probably the choreography for the epic bomb CARRIE, which still brings chills to me.  Her Oscar work is tasteful compared to CARRIE.

LOL DR ELMORE - for some reason that statement frightens me!  Do you suppose everyone in the audiences has recovered?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2005, 11:02:37 AM »

I must, at some point, decide what the foodstuffs will be for Oscar night.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2005, 11:02:50 AM »

Guy Haines as Evita.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2005, 11:03:54 AM »

Welcome five GUESTS.  We're talkin' about Oscar predictions and Guy Haines as Evita.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2005, 11:06:31 AM »

I think a ham sandwich would be appropriate....or a tongue sandwich.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2005, 11:06:57 AM »

Guy Haines as Muriel Puce.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2005, 11:32:53 AM »

Bearing in mind, I've not seen some of the contenders this year (The Lovely  Wife has gone off to Blockbusters to get RAY, so we can watch it before the show tonight...Gee, I thought the damned thing was still in the theatre...I can't believe it's out on DVD already), my favourite three films were Finding Neverland, Sideways, and The House of Flying Daggers.  I also like Eternal Sunshine of the Spoltless Mind much more than I thought I would.  I wish I had gotten around to seeing Million Dollar Baby.  I too am rooting for Clint...just on general principles.  I think his discipline and philosophy of film-making should be held up as a shining example to the rest of the film community.

I have always liked SARSPARILLA.  I think Trader Joe's carries a brand.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2005, 11:33:17 AM »

Just heard from my friend Margaret, who loved the new batch of pages.  Whew!  Ironically, I'd given her about seven pages of the new section I'm in - I hadn't really gone over those at all, just written and printed.  And those were the only pages she had comments on - felt there should be more detail about the person involved, and she was totally correct.  I'll add those details today, and then move on with that section tomorrow.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2005, 11:43:24 AM »

Around the World in 80 Days was just on TCM.  Hmmmmmmm......still not sure how I feel about this film.  My first time to see it in WS - and that definitely helped.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 11:43:50 AM by JRand54 »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2005, 11:45:32 AM »

Guy Haines and Marc Chapeau as Betty and Judy Haynes in White Christmas.

"Lord help the mister
Who comes between me and my sister..."
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2005, 11:49:55 AM »

I can see it now...

John Travolta as Edna...

and Hillary Duff as Traci.

Bleh.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2005, 11:52:11 AM »

I am scared again DR SWW

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2005, 11:56:00 AM »

On as similar note (because they were both written by Marc Shaiman), there's this story in from the New York Times:

In the end, however, the sexual references would have been allowed, a network spokesman said. But they held the line on material that they believed might be seen as glorifying drug use or offending Native Americans or disabled people.

Among other lines, they included "The Road Runner's hooked on speed" and "Pocahontas is addicted to craps."

Kerry

« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2005, 12:08:00 PM »

It is sunny; the peach, pear, nectarine and apple trees are all in blossom; there is a lovely breeze, and all seems right.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 12:09:37 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2005, 12:14:01 PM »

I have done some additions, and I must say they really make everything work better.  Very simple additions, not long, but they add the color that Margaret was missing.  I read them to her, and she thought they were just right and funny to boot.

I must decide on food.  I think I'm not going to write any more today - I've done a few pages, plus the additions.  I'll start up fresh tomorrow.

Less than fifty posts to go to our new plateau.  I hope Marc Chapeaux will be for for the new plateau.  If he is, it will be a Chapeaux plateau.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2005, 12:14:05 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Alas, I am still in Richmond this afternoon.  I didn't get out of bed until just past Noon (whew!), and I woke up with a sour stomach too.  I'm feeling fine now - just needed to get some breakfast/brunch into my tummy - but with my late awakening and the predicted bad weather for tonight (yet more snow and sleet), I just couldn't see myself driving up and back today.  Maybe Tuesday... Ah, well...

However, this day has not been a total bust.  I spent another good hour or so shredding various receipts and papers.  It really is amazing just how much of a pack rat I am!  I guess all this shredding is my therapy.  ;)

I'm also doing some laundry, and I'll be heading out in bit to take a walk - my exercise for the day.

Oh, and I'll be here for the HHW Oscar Bash tonight too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2005, 12:16:48 PM »

As for Oscar Predictions....

I'm not really sure....

However, it is amazing the sort of recent groundswell for Jamie Foxx's performance in/as RAY.  There just seems to have been a lot of people on TV rooting for him.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2005, 12:21:28 PM »

I am disturbed by the singing cowboy in the Burger King Bacon Cheddar Ranch sandwich commercials....this is an alternate universe.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2005, 12:22:24 PM »

I am hoping that maybe votes for DiCaprio and Foxx split the numbers so that Johnny Depp can win....remember Judy Holliday!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2005, 12:29:19 PM »

...I spent another good hour or so shredding various receipts and papers....I guess all this shredding is my therapy.  ;)

I'm also doing some laundry,...
Just don't get the two tasks mixed up!

Whites in one pile, carbon copies in another.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2005, 12:34:02 PM »

I'm on a Mike Oldfield kick...again.  Lately I've listened to QE2 and The Songs of Distant Earth, and right now I've got "The Wind Chimes" from Islands playing.  Wonderful stuff.

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2005, 12:44:36 PM »

I haven't done the address thing yet - I feel weird about it.  I might do it this week - but I just keep thinking that she'll feel weird getting a package from someone who couldn't possibly have her address.

I may wait until MBarnum sees if Michael Forrest will give it to him.

BK, I have not heard a peep out of Michael Forest so far.

If you want me you can give me the address and I can send her a letter requesting an interview. If she responds favorable then we can go from there as to getting the book to her. I will be more then happy to help.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2005, 12:53:19 PM »

I can't predict what the Oscar outcomes will be because I haven't seen ANY of the nominated movies. ::) I have seen some movies this past year, but none of the five.  So, in the words of Doris Day:

Que sera, sera
Whatever will be, will be!

I will be watching, though.  A friend of mine wants me to tape it for her.  She doesn't have cable and her TV doesn't really pick up any over-the-air broadcasts.  And I just want to watch and see what happens...if anything. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2005, 12:53:55 PM »

And I want to do my part in getting us to the 100,000th post today!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2005, 01:00:27 PM »

Der Brucer has just reminded me that we need to go shopping.  We need beets, we need mint, we need his newspaper...

George

« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2005, 01:03:15 PM »

I am hoping that maybe votes for DiCaprio and Foxx split the numbers so that Johnny Depp can win....remember Judy Holliday!

I, of course, know who she was, but what was the situation??
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31   Go Up