Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: TALES OF THE CITY  (Read 45934 times)

Cillaliz

Re:TALES OF THE CITY
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2007, 06:27:40 AM »

It's always fascinating to me how that works.  Being from NYC, you pretty much never get to meet a single candidate.  Well, unless you pay $1000+ to attend a gala fundraising dinner with 500 other people, at which time the candidate will rush in, talk for 15 minutes, and if you're lucky, you get to quickly shake hands.

Please do continue to share your experiences, Cilla.  I love hearing about it.  And it does amaze me how in other parts of the country, people actually do get to gather for lengthy periods of time in very small groups with each of the candidates.

I know some people think that places like Iowa and New Hampshire shouldn't have so much influence, but I have to tell you, we take our role very seriously. We don't pay to meet candidates, they spend the money here to get us to go to their events. The Truman Club dues don't even go to candidates, they support the local party headquarters.

No candidate is immune from tough questions asked face to face with everyone patiently staring at them waiting for an answer and people will remember what they said, how well they handle situations where they really don't know the answer, etc.  I like this time best because very few people have actually committed to candidates and the national polls mean nothing.  We go see all of them and then we seriously discuss the differences.  

Richardson calls it a job interview and that's really what it is. He said yesterday that he used to think that Iowa shouldn't have this much influence, but that here people don't want to shake hands they want answers and that's really a good thing.   He tried to end his larger event with a softball question from a young girl, I think she was 14. She asked "When you pull all the troops out of Iraq, what will you do to stabalize the Middle East?"   There was a long pause and he said "How old are you?"  That's Iowa.

The caucuses in January are really quite fascinating.  The room is divided up by candidate and you count heads, literally. It's no secret ballot. Everyone knows who you support. There is a percentage cut-off that you need for a candidate to get a delegate. If you don't have enough for a delegate for a candidate then you can try to talk people into coming over to your candidate or the others can speak to encourage you to join them.  It's also a time where anyone can submit issues for the platform. They are voted on and go through to the county wide convention where they will be voted on and go to district etc. They could eventually become planks in the national platform.

If you become one of the delegates, you are not bound to your candidate.  You can change at a later meeting even at the national convention.  But it's the precinct caucuses that start the whole ball rolling and get all the attention.

I've caucused as a Republican, they do vote on paper and you don't have to tell who you voted for. I like the Democrat's way better.

If anyone wants to brave the Iowa winter (it's usually way below zero that week) to observe the caucus or has a candidate they want to meet face to face....you're welcome to come out and visit. (You can have the fill of all the food you bring yourself)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 06:29:27 AM by Cillaliz »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2007, 06:32:33 AM »

A post every ten or fifteen minutes?  Are people sitting around like so much fish, enjoying their brioche and lattes?

Cillaliz

« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2007, 06:32:41 AM »

Gees, that could have been about 10 posts!

Cillaliz

« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2007, 06:34:09 AM »

I'm running late, but side dishes. KFC's cole slaw. LOVE it.  My mother's potatoes. Not exactly twice baked, but sort of.  Wilbur beans and Drunken  Apples at Dave's BBQ.   Waldorf salad. and many many more

Cillaliz

« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2007, 06:37:03 AM »

I better get going. It's going to be in the 90s all week and although it's probably not as hot as BKs room, my bedroom is warm, which means I'm not sleeping well at all.

BK, now that the room has cooled down, you may want to shut the windows and leave the AC on.  It should work better
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 06:38:00 AM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2007, 06:38:37 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2007, 06:40:22 AM »

There's a very nice breeze coming in through the windows, and the AC unit is useless on its own

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2007, 06:43:07 AM »

Favorite side dishes - mac and cheese anywhere where it's decent.
The Cole Slaw at The Pantry - simply the finest anywhere.
Any side dish at Ruth's Chris Steak House - they're all amazing and you can search these pages to find my posts about them.
The fries at Jerry's Deli - I loathe Jerry's, but the fries are great, as is their ranch dressing
The garlic noodles at Crustacaen.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2007, 06:49:37 AM »

A post every ten or fifteen minutes?  Are people sitting around like so much fish, enjoying their brioche and lattes?

We are waiting for Ben to wash his bowl!

The left coast brioche & latte crowd show up latter.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2007, 06:56:08 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR TD....you Leo you!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2007, 06:56:26 AM »

Thoughts for DR DAKOTA CELT....and family.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2007, 06:56:53 AM »

Rainy here...but at least that cools things off slightly.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2007, 07:00:25 AM »

Parliamentarians....

If one makes a motion and it is seconded....then someone else moves to TABLE the motion.....can the person who made the original motion vote yes or no on the motion to table?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2007, 07:01:12 AM »

BRAIN audition vibes.....

If I looked like that man in the picture DR MBARNUM posted yesterday, I would take my shirt off in THE FANTASTICKS.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2007, 07:01:32 AM »

....and dance like Donna in PROMISES, PROMISES.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2007, 07:02:29 AM »

MR BK is closing in on 30,000 ... hopefully audition posts will put him up on that new plateau.....  Would it be The Mesa of Lost Women?

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2007, 07:03:54 AM »

Horn & Hardart Baked Beans

I have dined at several automats.

Your post reminded me of one of my favorite P.D.Q. Bach numbers:
"Concerto for Horn and Hardart".  

It was a typical double concerto form, and the "hardart" instrument was like a mini-automat: there were little implements or instruments (like a kazoo, triangle, etc.) in little windowed compartments. The player had to insert coins to get the "instruments" to continue playing the piece. It was very involved and I only saw him perform this once, but it was very fun!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2007, 07:07:00 AM »

Happy, happy birthday to TD!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2007, 07:07:39 AM »

I've never been to Philomath. And I daresay, it's never been to me.

Edisaurus

« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2007, 07:09:16 AM »

I blame Dr Phibes.

That's Abominable!

(But better than abdomenable...)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 07:26:12 AM by Edisaurus »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2007, 07:12:00 AM »

Good morning!

Temperatures hovering near 100 all week, so no relief from the August dog days here. It's warm and muggy all the time now. I shouldn't complain since July was one of the coolest on record for us.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2007, 07:13:43 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happiest of Birthdays to DR td!!![/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2007, 07:14:39 AM »

Really looking forward to another grand episode of THE CLOSER tonight!

SAVING GRACE is on, too, and I'll give it ONE more chance tonight.

Ginny

« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2007, 07:14:41 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  It's my day off and the last day of my 10 days away from work.  Like DR DakotaCelt, I have no desire to go back to work tomorrow...

I have to leave soon for my 6-month dental check-up, followed by lunch at Bravo Italian Cucina with my good friend Becky.  Today might be the last I see of her until Thanksgiving or so.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2007, 07:15:17 AM »

Best birthdays wishes to DR td!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2007, 07:16:44 AM »

Audition vibes for The Brain today!  Don't even ask about the nightmare I had just before the alarm went off this morning  :-X

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2007, 07:17:13 AM »

There is an all-night restaurant here in Charloote called The Landmark, and they have the best fried onion rings I've ever had anywhere. That's my favorite side.

At the old Western Sizzlin' steakhouses, they had the best french fries I've ever had. Alas, those steakhouses are long gone from here.

I also love cold slaw, mac and cheese, corn on the cob (with real butter).

Matt H.

« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2007, 07:18:55 AM »

Depending on what today's mail brings (I think I'm to get another box set (THE TICK VS. Season 2), and there are three Criterions on their way to me. Other than that, I may watch BERSERK! which is on the DVR. THE SLENDER THREAD is on there, too, but I may not get to it for awhile.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #118 on: August 06, 2007, 07:20:35 AM »

I know some people think that places like Iowa and New Hampshire shouldn't have so much influence...

How much influence they will now have remains to be seen (the pol-pros are watching carefully).

In the past Iowa and NH set the stage for condidates to do well and use that result in fund-raising activites to support their efforts in the later primaries. Next year we will be having the first go at the early Jan - Feb primaries. The smart money expects the races to be settled by early Feb; candidates need to have their full Primary war chest filled before the Iowa/NH process begins, so the results of these early races will have little import. (Notice that some candidates game plans call for skipping Iowa/NH altogether.)

The nice one-on-one personal touch that is possible in a low-density area like Iowa. In California, LA County alone has over three times the population of the entire state of Iowa.

I fear that when both major parties caved and let the bigger states move their primaries up to Feb it has spelled the end of the Iowa/NH influence in national politics.

When I was conculting in CA, races at the local town level could be won or lost by feet-on-the-ground meet-and-greet campaigning. Congressional races had to have the added component of expensive direct mail and telephone elements. By the time you reached the county level, multimillion dollar mass media buys were essential to winning.

Candidates running for City council spent most of their time meeting with voters; Congressional candidates spent their time in organized public fund-raising appearances; state level candidates spent 90% of their time on the phone dialing for dollars or in attending special interest group funtions seeking endorsements and major contributions.

Not at all what the founders envisioned!

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Edisaurus

« Reply #119 on: August 06, 2007, 07:21:02 AM »

Big hugs to Dakota Celt. Hang in there! Vibes to you and your family through this tough time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Up