Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CRACK OF DAWN  (Read 14736 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: THE CRACK OF DAWN
« Reply #180 on: March 08, 2010, 05:16:11 PM »

Did Billy Mays and Walter Cronkite make movies?

No!

Then they weren't snubbed; they weren't in the movie business.

That was my point, Laura.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #181 on: March 08, 2010, 05:18:13 PM »

Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I thought the RIP section started with Patrick Swayze, who was clearly shown (at least on my tv, LOL).  What exactly was missed?  Are you talking about a switch to a full screen of the feed rather than an in-theater shot?

Yes, I saw Patrick Swayze, also.  But who were the second and third people honored?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #182 on: March 08, 2010, 05:22:02 PM »

I thought Alec and Steve did a superb job as hosts last night. They were fast, funny, didn't wear out their welcome ever, and didn't push for effect. If something didn't work, they moved on. Wonderful.

The awards are the awards, so I don't think there is much chance of the envelope opening ever changing. I LIKED not reading the list of nominees for Best Picture since we'd spent the entire show seeing clips from them. By that time, one wants the show to BE OVER, so thank you, Tom Hanks, for doing that.

I agree completely, Matt.  I think most people watching the Oscars have a good idea what films are nominated, and after three hours of clips, what is the point of running down the list again.  Amen to Tom Hanks.

Well I said before that I disagree.  But to me it has less to do with the fact that i might not remember what is nominated vs the fact that it just seemed awfully rushed.

Yes we knew it was going to be either Avatar or The Hurt Locker.  But I would have liked to have the whole list mentioned.

Imagine if for any other category they just blurted out the winner.  If you just tuned in for part of the Oscars you might not know every movie that was in the category. And i feel like if they are going to have 10 nominees then it would be nice to act like they are all important enough to be mentioned.

They were important enough to be mentioned. Each one had a clip shown during the telecast, and the clip was introduced by an actor who talked about the film.
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #183 on: March 08, 2010, 05:40:43 PM »

Good Evening!

Well... After running my errands this morning, I headed on down to City Bakery to meet up with my friends, Jennifer and Clint, as well as to drop off some bourbon chocolates for Maury Rubin, the owner.  I had originally planned to come back to my apartment after that, but since the weather was so gorgeous today, I decided to take a walk.  And then I kept walking. And then my friend, Eric, joined me, and we walked some more.  Then about six hours later...

:)

It really was a gorgeous Spring-like day here in NYC today.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #184 on: March 08, 2010, 05:41:18 PM »

DR JRand - I'm still going through last night's posts.  -Thank You for the Chris Pine info.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #185 on: March 08, 2010, 05:42:16 PM »

Oh, and I'm doing laundry now.  Just FYI. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #186 on: March 08, 2010, 05:45:14 PM »

Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I thought the RIP section started with Patrick Swayze, who was clearly shown (at least on my tv, LOL).  What exactly was missed?  Are you talking about a switch to a full screen of the feed rather than an in-theater shot?

Yes, I saw Patrick Swayze, also.  But who were the second and third people honored?

Walter Cronkite and Billy Mays.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #187 on: March 08, 2010, 05:59:43 PM »

Keith & I think Beau is a talented actor and we are fans of Stargate.  We were very disappointed in Beau on Stargate & did not enjoy him on the show.  I find it surprising & interesting to see the show named as a favorite.

I, too, enjoyed Beau Bridges on "Stargate SG-1".  He was a mite underused, but the role was a key one.  And I, too, am unanimous in this.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #188 on: March 08, 2010, 06:00:45 PM »

They could have been, Jeff, because I couldn't tell who they were.  And I was paying attention because of what happened at the Tony Awards.
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #189 on: March 08, 2010, 06:02:19 PM »

Sean Hayes Comes Out in The Advocate.

Just had to share. ;)

That's an "affirmation" that was only necessary for visibility. I mean, come on....who DIDN'T know he was gay?   :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 06:05:40 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #190 on: March 08, 2010, 06:03:30 PM »

These facts are so EASY to verify...yet, year after year, entertainment wirters just make stuff up and pronounce this that and the other as though they had a clue about that which they are writing. 

Wow!  DR RLP is reading my reviews!   ;D

Oh, please....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #191 on: March 08, 2010, 06:05:34 PM »

And speaking of The Oscars...

Here's this year's list of Honest Movie Titles from the folks at CollegHumor.com.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #192 on: March 08, 2010, 06:10:18 PM »

Sean Hayes Comes Out in The Advocate.

Just had to share. ;)

Of course, Sean Hayes "was" gay when he still playing piano and working in theater in Chicago before he got his "Will and Grace" break. -And in his early interviews for "Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss", I thought he was gay then too.  Anyhoo...

Good for him! And I hope that this very public statement will continue to help those young men and women who are (still) afraid to discuss their sexuality with the parents and/or caring adults.
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #193 on: March 08, 2010, 06:20:51 PM »

Why am I watching this horrible doc about the Brothers Warner on TCM?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #194 on: March 08, 2010, 06:36:07 PM »

Monte Hale was the cowboy.
You can dream…or you can do.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #195 on: March 08, 2010, 06:54:23 PM »

Thankyou JRand for the Woman's Day wishes
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #196 on: March 08, 2010, 06:56:37 PM »

ABC yanked theri programming from Cablevision at midnight on Saturday - so thinking we xold not watch the Oscars Vixdad and I rented a movie to watch together - turns out ABC restored the programming 10 minutes into the show - but it was toolate for us by then ...

vixmom

« Reply #197 on: March 08, 2010, 06:57:10 PM »

JRand your cartoon was in a dead heat for first after I voted for it

vixmom

« Reply #198 on: March 08, 2010, 06:57:34 PM »

Cograts to Edi on her new narrator!!

vixmom

« Reply #199 on: March 08, 2010, 06:58:05 PM »

I was out looking at cars again yesterday - no resolution as of yet

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #200 on: March 08, 2010, 07:13:18 PM »

I just got a phone call from Jim Morgan of the York Theatre; I've been asked to be on a panel for a talk with the audience after the performance of YANK! tomorrow night. I guess I'll be listening to early 40s music all day tomorrow to get in the mood.

Nice!  I'd love to see this show. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #201 on: March 08, 2010, 07:14:05 PM »

And now, it's time for me to leave work and run a couple of errands before I go home for some TV watching and CD ripping and burning.

Until later!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #202 on: March 08, 2010, 07:15:26 PM »

But before I go...EXACTLY ONE WEEK FROM TONIGHT (7:00 p.m., next Monday), WE START REHEARSALS FOR THEATER ARTISTS OLYMPIA'S PRODUCTION OF "THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X"!!!

;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #203 on: March 08, 2010, 07:31:57 PM »

Oh, for pity's sake.

The second one was composer Maurice Jarre.  The third was actor Monte Hale.

Julie

« Reply #204 on: March 08, 2010, 07:32:17 PM »

I just got a phone call from Jim Morgan of the York Theatre; I've been asked to be on a panel for a talk with the audience after the performance of YANK! tomorrow night. I guess I'll be listening to early 40s music all day tomorrow to get in the mood.

That's wonderful, Larry.  Congrats!
I really enjoyed that show.

Julie

« Reply #205 on: March 08, 2010, 07:33:07 PM »

But before I go...EXACTLY ONE WEEK FROM TONIGHT (7:00 p.m., next Monday), WE START REHEARSALS FOR THEATER ARTISTS OLYMPIA'S PRODUCTION OF "THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X"!!!

;D

That's very exciting, George!  I wish I could see it.

Julie

« Reply #206 on: March 08, 2010, 07:36:27 PM »

ABC yanked theri programming from Cablevision at midnight on Saturday - so thinking we xold not watch the Oscars Vixdad and I rented a movie to watch together - turns out ABC restored the programming 10 minutes into the show - but it was toolate for us by then ...

That's too bad.  It was very inconsiderate for them to fail to come to some compromise until 10 minutes into the show, when most affected people had already been led to think that they wouldn't be able to see it.  Hope you all enjoyed the movie you rented.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #207 on: March 08, 2010, 07:41:22 PM »

I'm still reading the posts from last night.

RE: the Red Carpet show on ABC and the hosts

I thought Kathy Ireland looked nice. But i did not like her as an interviewer at all.

I have no idea who the short guy was but i did not care for him either.

The short guy you didn't care for is the editor of Entertainment Weekly.

Do you know his name?

I mentioned it last night: Jeff Cagle. And for the record, I liked him. I thought he was the ONLY one of those interviewers who was even SLIGHTLY competent.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #208 on: March 08, 2010, 07:43:04 PM »

I thought Alec and Steve did a superb job as hosts last night. They were fast, funny, didn't wear out their welcome ever, and didn't push for effect. If something didn't work, they moved on. Wonderful.

The awards are the awards, so I don't think there is much chance of the envelope opening ever changing. I LIKED not reading the list of nominees for Best Picture since we'd spent the entire show seeing clips from them. By that time, one wants the show to BE OVER, so thank you, Tom Hanks, for doing that.

I agree completely, Matt.  I think most people watching the Oscars have a good idea what films are nominated, and after three hours of clips, what is the point of running down the list again.  Amen to Tom Hanks.

Well I said before that I disagree.  But to me it has less to do with the fact that i might not remember what is nominated vs the fact that it just seemed awfully rushed.

Yes we knew it was going to be either Avatar or The Hurt Locker.  But I would have liked to have the whole list mentioned.

Imagine if for any other category they just blurted out the winner.  If you just tuned in for part of the Oscars you might not know every movie that was in the category. And i feel like if they are going to have 10 nominees then it would be nice to act like they are all important enough to be mentioned.

They were important enough to be mentioned. Each one had a clip shown during the telecast, and the clip was introduced by an actor who talked about the film.

Also, Jennifer, I doubt if very many people are going to wait for 3 1/2 hours and then tune in for the final announcement of the last award. And if they cared enough to want to know at THAT late date, they already KNEW the nominees.

Matt H.

« Reply #209 on: March 08, 2010, 07:46:37 PM »

When I went back down, I finished the two remaining bonus features on the BIGGER THAN LIFE disc. One was an interview with Ray's widow Susan who gave her opinions about the film and about his entire output of movies. Interesting take on his life and career.

There was also the theatrical trailer introduced by James Mason since he served as the film's producer as well as its star.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up