Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: PRAY FOR ROSEMARY'S BABY  (Read 18592 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:PRAY FOR ROSEMARY'S BABY
« Reply #180 on: January 09, 2006, 08:27:44 PM »

Oy, I gained 10 lbs. just typing that.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #181 on: January 09, 2006, 08:28:15 PM »

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER had a yacky, noisy episode I didn't find very funny. I noticed both the TV GUIDE and USATODAY TV critics have both fallen out of like with the show. I beat them to it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #182 on: January 09, 2006, 08:29:06 PM »

That show is called Cold Case.  Fairly good, and very much in a formula, right to the use of period music and the ending where the guilty party is led away in front of the people he/she wronged, as both their former and present selves.

The difference is Cold Case no one was arrested or at least convicted. InJustice, the wrong person was convicted. Same thing, it was never really solved and true perp is still at large

Matt H.

« Reply #183 on: January 09, 2006, 08:31:33 PM »

I watched the premiere of EMILY'S REASONS WHY NOT. It was an OK start and a nice premise for a half hour comedy: pretty girl (Heather Graham) dates a guy until she can find five things about him that are deal breakers, and then she breaks up with him. Tonight's show had some good lines and I smiled several times. There is a pushy, bitchy co-worker character I took an instant dislike to. And Emily's gay friend is pretty stereotypical, too.

But I'll continue watching for now.

Cillaliz

« Reply #184 on: January 09, 2006, 08:31:44 PM »

I see your point. I made my comment on the basis of the two shows of IN JUSTICE I've seen which were almost interchangeable with one another. Unless they can mix things up a little more, I just thought it might wear out its uniqueness quickly. But maybe not. Time will tell, I guess.

I agree that time will tell about the show. It seemed to be missing something to me. I'm not sure what it is, but I've only seen one episode, so as you say, time will tell

Cillaliz

« Reply #185 on: January 09, 2006, 08:33:47 PM »

Oy, I gained 10 lbs. just typing that.  ;)

So how do you make brown butter?

Matt H.

« Reply #186 on: January 09, 2006, 08:36:17 PM »

OUT OF PRACTICE once again took a fairly simple premise (there's a pregnancy test in someone's weekend luggage but whose luggage and which man might be the potential father) and mined some hysterical lines out of a lack of knowledge to those two questions. I'm going to miss this show when it goes on hiatus to be replaced by Jenna Elfman's new sitcom.

Matt H.

« Reply #187 on: January 09, 2006, 08:38:34 PM »

And MEDIUM once again dashed its formula against the wall to make the story a personal one involving Allison and her oldest daughter. I delighted in being led down one garden path only to find out I had been fooled all along, and yet the clues were there for the taking. Very compelling episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #188 on: January 09, 2006, 08:39:20 PM »

Tomorrow I'll watch CSI: MIAMI which the DVR recorded tonight.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #189 on: January 09, 2006, 08:39:22 PM »

I'm glad to see that a batch of Betsy's brown butter (try saying that three times quickly) uses unsalted butter.  I don't even keep any salted butter in the house.  Salt may be a good preservative, but we never have a pound of butter in the house long enough for that preservation to be needed.

And the thought of a batch of Betsy's brown margarine just gives me the willies.  To the max.  To be frank.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #190 on: January 09, 2006, 08:47:31 PM »

So how do you make brown butter?

Nevermind. I must have missed the post somehow. I see it now. Thanks for the recipe

Matt H.

« Reply #191 on: January 09, 2006, 08:49:24 PM »

I'm going to head down to bed now. Maybe I will try to get the light turned off before 1 a.m.

Good evening, everyone!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #192 on: January 09, 2006, 08:50:58 PM »

It is time for me to wussburger.

I'm topping tonight's wussburger with kimchee and blueberries.  And a slice of no-fat American cheese.

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #193 on: January 09, 2006, 09:04:23 PM »

Here's an album cover I like...

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2006, 09:05:17 PM »

And I had quite a crush on this girl...

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #195 on: January 09, 2006, 09:07:30 PM »

I have been known to buy some albums just BECAUSE the cover amused me...

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #196 on: January 09, 2006, 09:14:03 PM »

I could go on for days, but I'll save others for another time. Just got my first digital camera for Christmas, so it's opening new doors for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #197 on: January 09, 2006, 09:19:38 PM »

I could go on for days, but I'll save others for another time. Just got my first digital camera for Christmas, so it's opening new doors for me.

The mind - well, my mind - just boggles! BOGGLES, I tell you!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #198 on: January 09, 2006, 09:19:45 PM »

I watched a drawn out, but interesting show on the Game Show Channel tonight about the guy who broke the bank on Press Your Luck by figuring out the pattern of the "random" board. He was a schemer, but you have to give him full credit for figuring the system out, getting on the show, then actually making it happen under pressure.

In a tastless closing bit, we are told he died of throat cancer, and narrator (and former Press Your Luck host) Peter Tomarken says, "He met the final whammy..." while we are shown the guy's headstone!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: January 09, 2006, 09:19:49 PM »

Did that even make sense?
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #200 on: January 09, 2006, 09:22:49 PM »

I must track down that gal on the Wayne King album and snap a photo of her now for you Rodzinski and then see if you still have a crush on her! LOL!

And the jig is up...TPunk found out about Barbara Payton! I don't know how... ::)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #201 on: January 09, 2006, 09:25:07 PM »

I watched "Emily's Reasons Why Not," more or less. And it more or less wasn't very good. Not the worst thing I've ever seen, but episode one, and her "reasons why not" involved her thinking the guy might be gay, (shocking!). Plus, I'm not a huge fan of shows with cloying narration. And a lot of fantasy cutaways to hammer home every joke in literal fashion.

MBarnum

« Reply #202 on: January 09, 2006, 09:25:44 PM »

PRESS YOUR LUCK? I don't even recall that show. But I do have a strange fascination with finding out whatever became of various and sundried contestants that I see on vintage game shows.

Whenever I watch THE NAMES THE SAME or TO TELL THE TRUTH I do a search on the internet trying to locate the contestants...sometimes I find them...and I always have an urge to call and say "I just saw you on some game show from 50 years ago....and do you still have those prizes that you won on BEAT THE CLOCK?"

« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 09:27:55 PM by MBarnum »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2006, 09:26:06 PM »

As for Lestat reviews... As DR Cillaliz posted and excerpted, the reviews will be coming out sometime this week.  Since Sunday was the official opening night in San Fran, reviews probably won't "hit" until Tuesday since the Monday papers were probably "in bed" by the time the curtain went down at the Curran.  *The DC theatres do that a lot - Sunday night opening nights, that is - this way everyone can have a true day off on Monday, and not have to "worry" about anything until Tuesday or later in the week.

There's also been a sort of built-in "delay" with out-of-town tryout reviews of most shows lately, more or less, as a professional courtesy.  And sometimes just out of the fact that the reviewers came later in the run.  There was a show here in DC - I can't recall which one right now - that had a tryout here before heading up to NYC, but the DC reviews didn't start appearing until the last week of the run here.  I also sense that sometimes the local guys know that, in the long run, their reviews won't really carry that much pull once the show opens in New York.  -Unless they happen to send a critic to New York too - like the Post does from time to time.

Just a couple of random thoughts...

We shall see if the gods of the theatre and the press are smiling on the Curran right now...

*Of course, all I really care about is still having a job in a month in NYC, so...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #204 on: January 09, 2006, 09:27:48 PM »

Yeah, thanks for that MBarnum!  >:(

And no, Jose.

Cillaliz

« Reply #205 on: January 09, 2006, 09:31:51 PM »

Well, I'd love to stay up to see how DECEIT went tonight, but I must drink some NyQuil and get some sleep so I can go to work in the morning and be all bright and cheery like they are in the commercials

MBarnum

« Reply #206 on: January 09, 2006, 09:33:37 PM »

Well, here we sit like so much fish starring at the HHW screen. I for one have a tired pussy in my lap and we are going to head to beddy bye land.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #207 on: January 09, 2006, 09:36:17 PM »

One more cover before I hit the sack...
From the land of DECEIT itself.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #208 on: January 09, 2006, 09:37:18 PM »

Overheard from DR Sandra from the couch:  "It might have been the chickens."
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #209 on: January 09, 2006, 09:41:12 PM »

BK - I believe your "isolation" with this production is simply a matter of how the production came together.  From what I gather, you more or less had to find "new" people to get this production up on it's feet.  You had a lot of meetings.  -From what you've posted, it seems like the only familiar people to you this time round are Dale, your stage manager, and Tammy.  And it seems that Tammy's involvement this time round is truly more "on stage" instead of "behind the scenes" (like she was doing with What If?)

And as DR JMK (I think) mentioned, being the writer and the director has a lot to do with that do.  The big collaborative relationship between a writer and a director is, well, between you, yourself and you.  Actors are actors, and techies are techies.  -And I also believe that since all of you seem to have other "day jobs", that's also part of the whole "all by myself" feeling.  -Unlike in a regional theatre production - like the current production of Damn Yankees I'm a part of - where basically everyone involved with the production is only there for the production.  -No "distractions".  And, you, yourself, have mentioned many times that you want the show to go the way you want it to go.  You've more or less been your second set of eyes... and even the third from what I gather.  -Your producer sounds more like an observer than someone who truly has a vested interest in the production.  And sort of a newcomer to things theatrical in nature.

*And keep in mind that most of the team for The Drowsy Chaperone has been with the project for a long time.  That show has been in development for a couple of years - long before they got the go ahead for the production at the Ahmanson.  Readings, workshops, more readings, more workshops.  And most of that cast and crew were also in from NYC - or other cities - and were only in town for the show.

If anything, be thankful that you, too, have had other things going on in your schedule to keep you busy and productive and creative.  Something has to fill those hours before starting rehearsal in the evening.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up