Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: STARS  (Read 14160 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: STARS
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2011, 07:05:14 AM »

I hate to say it but I didn't know who half of the people on the red carpet were or what they were famous for.

You aren't alone.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2011, 07:05:30 AM »

Page Three Dance!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2011, 07:06:31 AM »

By the way, JRand and Ginny, the last two times I was in Austin, I noticed that the frames for glasses on many of the men had gotten larger. Don't know if the swing is back in that direction or not.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2011, 07:13:08 AM »

TOD: I would love to see a movie or mini-series made of J.B. Priestley's "The Good Companions." I'd like Andrew Davies to write the screenplay, and it could use either period songs or pieces from the great Johnny Mercer-Andre Previn score (or both). I would limit the cast to Brits, so I don't really have an idea as to whom should be in what role. It would be hard, in my mind, to beat the impression that Judi Dench and John Mills made in the cast album from back in the mid-1970s.

It's a great book about a theatrical troupe roaming the British countryside just as movies are beginning to become popular. Great characters that have stayed with me for decades since I first read the book. I haven't read it in at least 10 years. It may be just the ticket in between semesters.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2011, 07:22:14 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept late, very late for me. I was having interesting dreams - a possible tour of The Brain From Planet X for five weeks in Spain, casting a cabaret act, an alien invasion, a trip to England - and I can't say I was eager to hop out of bed and begin my 2010 income taxes. So, I'm out of bed now and I have no choice but to begin them.

I find the older I get and the less chances I have of getting an award - my least favortie orchestrator has a Tony Award and two of my favorites have lost, so I know the standards have fallen - the less I care about them, so I passed up the Golden Globes for THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ATLANTA.

For the really important news of the day:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy 30th Anniversary to DR Ginny & Richard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2011, 07:28:45 AM »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Birthday Wishes to E&T DR Noel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And for today's TOD:
Thomas Keneally's wonderful historical novel THE PLAYMAKER, about the Australian penal colonies of the late 18th Century and the first theatrical production performed by the prisoners. At one point, Merchant-Ivory owned the film rights, but that was 2o years ago. I think they would have done a great adaptation. In the late 1980s, a British stage adaptation, titled OUR COUNTRY'S GOOD, by Timberlake Wertenbaker made the rounds of regional theatres and came to Broadway. I thought it was not particularly good, but it was a success for either the Royal Shakespeare Co. or the National Theatre, as I recall.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2011, 07:39:51 AM »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Birthday Wishes to E&T DR Noel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And for today's TOD:
Thomas Keneally's wonderful historical novel THE PLAYMAKER, about the Australian penal colonies of the late 18th Century and the first theatrical production performed by the prisoners. At one point, Merchant-Ivory owned the film rights, but that was 2o years ago. I think they would have done a great adaptation. In the late 1980s, a British stage adaptation, titled OUR COUNTRY'S GOOD, by Timberlake Wertenbaker made the rounds of regional theatres and came to Broadway. I thought it was not particularly good, but it was a success for either the Royal Shakespeare Co. or the National Theatre, as I recall.
I enjoyed that novel quite a lot. It would make a good movie.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2011, 07:40:31 AM »

Vibes that DR Elmore's taxes go smoothly (and that my typing skill improve; I originally typed bives).
― Voltaire

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2011, 07:46:36 AM »

More TOD:

I'm pretty sure that it is in the works, so I am hoping that Neil Gaiman's THE GRAVEYARD BOOK does make it to the big screen soon.  I would rather that it was a live action film than an animated CGI like CORALINE.  I also hope that anyone BUT Tim Burton helms the project.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2011, 08:34:37 AM »

TOD:

MANY years ago, I read a book by Al Morgan called TO SIT ON A HORSE.

Certainly inspired by Ed Wynn, it's the story of an old vaudeville comedian who never had been recorded on film.  He's now in failing health, but before he dies he wants to do something that is recorded, so that it will be there for posterity.  The opportunity comes with a TV commercial, but his family tries to stop him from doing it, fearing it will kill him.

I was so moved by this novel when I read it that I wrote to Morgan, asking if I could adapt it.  He wrote back, saying that this was his very special story and that, if it was ever done on film, he would do it.

The book is now long out-of-print.

:(
You can dream…or you can do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2011, 08:41:28 AM »

DR GINNY's glasses reminded me of this pic.

My glasses are bigger than my FACE!  ;D

My first thought was "If BK really wants to capture the fashion of the 80s...big glasses"

Cillaliz

« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2011, 08:42:41 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it's supposed to snow and sleet here in NYC later tonight.

*I blame DR Cillaliz for the sleet. ;)

:D

We're supposed to have more sleet today.  I'm still thinking of trying to get out and see The King's Speech this afternoon

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2011, 08:44:38 AM »

What an interesting story DR DRUXY!!!

Never heard of that book.  Does the book include the earlier career of the character, or just reference it?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Cillaliz

« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2011, 08:45:25 AM »

re: Natalie Portman's dress last night.

It was okay but I really didn't like it that much. But the funny thing is that I think the rose was the best part! (DR Cilla said the dress would be better without it).

:)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2011, 08:45:32 AM »

DR CILLA LIZ I meant to write yesterday, can't you get a cord that has the new connection on one end and the old connection on the other......I saw them at one time.....but I think it was back in the 20th century.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2011, 08:48:08 AM »

When When WHEN did it become a necessity for a HOST to do a monolog at an awards show?  It's been going on for quite awhile now and for me it is a time-consuming and (mostly) unfunny bore....if in three hours someone says one thing funny (usually I guess written by Bruce Vilanch) we hear how brilliant said someone is.

Just introduce the show and get the h3[[ out of the way!

Like DR DtM - I thought Ricky Gervais was terrible, disrespectful, and unfunny in the extreme.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2011, 08:49:44 AM »

Curtain or butter dish or whatever - I still like Michelle's dress - didn't detract from her, wasn't over the top, and fit really well.

All she needed was a leopard dickey on top.

Cillaliz

« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2011, 08:50:22 AM »

I have more Turner news. 

While doing my weekly search, I came across a newspaper listing that his business property is being sold due to forclosure.  I fired an email off the law firm asking about my rights.  I have to wait until the sale to see if there is any money left over from the sale and then I can make a claim.

The sale is in Febuary.

Danise, you are doing everything right to get your money.  I'm impressed.  Stick to it and eventually you'll get it.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2011, 08:50:31 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to DR Noel!

Here is how Richard and I celebrated your birthday, 30 years ago today:

Ginny, are you sure you didn't marry Richard Attenborough?    ;D

Congrats!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Cillaliz

« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2011, 08:51:01 AM »

Happy Anniversary DR GINNY and HA HA HA RICHARD

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2011, 08:51:56 AM »

BK, I found the Golden Globes tedious precisely because I do not know who any of the younger stars are...and they comprise most of them.  It doesn't help that I watch no dramatic or comedy shows on TV these days.  I was also disappointed that Ricky Gervais never got enough to time to really rip and slaughter the sacred cows and speak aloud what everyone is thinking or already knows.  It was also disappointing that THE KING'S SPEECH...which should win every award it's up for...only won a much-deserved best actor award for Colin Firth.

Cillaliz

« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2011, 08:54:04 AM »

DR CILLA LIZ I meant to write yesterday, can't you get a cord that has the new connection on one end and the old connection on the other......I saw them at one time.....but I think it was back in the 20th century.

I'm not sure, I'm trying to investigate all that.  It's the big wide LPT or whatever you call it.  It was the standard forever, now all the computers just have USB ports for printers

Cillaliz

« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2011, 08:55:26 AM »

Happy Birthday DR NOEL

FJL

« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2011, 08:57:20 AM »

Happy happy anniversary to DR Ginny and DH Richard!!!

JMK

« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2011, 08:58:13 AM »

Well I don't know if it would be at the absolute top of my list, but for years I thought the 1978 book THE CASE OF THE PHILOSOPHER'S RING would make a faboo film, and in fact elements of it ended up in the recent Guy Ritchie SHERLOCK HOLMES.  The book is about Holmes and Watson trying to track down some occult shenaningans which turn out to be the result of black magic(k) by Aleister Crowley.  I thought that Rod Steiger would make a smashing Crowley, but that's about as far as I thought about it, though the book had a ton of other real life people in it, including Bertrand Russell.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

FJL

« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2011, 08:59:04 AM »

An Elaine Stritch HE HAD REFINEMENT dance   (well, not really a dance, but it's not a page-turn either)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRK6vIPjK4Q

FJL

« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2011, 09:00:34 AM »

Did I miss discussion of this (proposed) "law" that kids can't work after 10 pm, so shows like ANNIE or BILLY ELLIOT would have to start early or something like that?

JMK

« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2011, 09:00:54 AM »

I have evidently upset several minimally literate and/or articulate folk with my perhaps scathing review of the last (we can only hope) Saw film.  Oy.

Betsy and I are off to the Hamilton house today to power wash decks, touch up paint, install a carbon monoxide detector and other really, really fun stuff that proves we are landlords.  Double oy.

FJL

« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2011, 09:00:55 AM »

Birthday wishes to Noel

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2011, 09:06:29 AM »

What an interesting story DR DRUXY!!!

Never heard of that book.  Does the book include the earlier career of the character, or just reference it?

As I recall, it just referenced the earlier years.

It's been a long time (30-40 years) since I read it, but it's always stuck with me.

In fact, right after I posted, I went to Amazon and found a used copy that I then ordered.

Now, I'm wondering if that could be a mistake.

The memory of this book could be a far cry from the reality.

:-\

You can dream…or you can do.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up