Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SODA POP  (Read 11341 times)

Danise

Re: SODA POP
« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2012, 06:28:33 PM »

Sending vibes to DR Elmore!  Hoping everything goes well tomorrow!

'Night all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #181 on: August 15, 2012, 06:29:03 PM »

Thank You all for the condolences. I just checked on Facebook, and it was nice to see so many posts about Jimmy's passing from friends, colleagues and teachers.
  So sorry about your loss, DR Jose.  We have a lady at work who just lost her husband today.  Sad that the doctors thought he was going to make and told her so but then he went down hill very fast.

Danise, that's terrible!
  Yes it is.  I'm not sure what the surgery was for but they say that anything can go wrong when you are put under.

We learned that all too well 3 years ago when Richard's older brother had "successful" by-pass surgery, but never came out of the anesthetic.  Friday is the 3rd anniversary of his death.

Condolences to your co-worker, DR Danise.

And to DR Jose, whose friend died way too young.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #182 on: August 15, 2012, 06:29:13 PM »

Having been born and raised on the West Coast, the drink was always called pop to me.  It was only when I moved to New Jersey that I had to get used to calling it soda (or in NJ - "soder").  When my dear mother came east in the middle of August to visit me, she learned the lesson quickly.  Stepping into a McDonald's in the Village, she checked the reader board and saw on the lists of sodas, that they had Root Beer.  When they handed her the cup, she looked at it and said, "Where's the ice cream?"  I don't know who was more confused, my mom or the McDonald's employee. 

<A Root Beer Soda!>

Funny, except......

That would have been a root beer float.  Soda would be the ice cream or sherbet with soda water.

Not in Washington.  They were called root beer floats or root beer sodas.

Interesting.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #183 on: August 15, 2012, 06:30:26 PM »

Thank you all for good wishes about the job.  We shall see what we shall see but I am hopeful!

I will continue to keep positive job vibes!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #184 on: August 15, 2012, 06:30:59 PM »

Thank You all for the condolences. I just checked on Facebook, and it was nice to see so many posts about Jimmy's passing from friends, colleagues and teachers.
  So sorry about your loss, DR Jose.  We have a lady at work who just lost her husband today.  Sad that the doctors thought he was going to make and told her so but then he went down hill very fast.

Danise, that's terrible!
  Yes it is.  I'm not sure what the surgery was for but they say that anything can go wrong when you are put under.

We learned that all too well 3 years ago when Richard's older brother had "successful" by-pass surgery, but never came out of the anesthetic.  Friday is the 3rd anniversary of his death.

Condolences to your co-worker, DR Danise.

And to DR Jose, whose friend died way too young.

Please give Richard a hug from me.  I expect it will be a difficult day for him.  I try not to remember the date loved ones are lost. 

Ginny

« Reply #185 on: August 15, 2012, 06:37:43 PM »

Thanks, DR Jane.  We don't really dwell on it, either.  Instead, we try to be supportive to his wife and daughters.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #186 on: August 15, 2012, 06:40:03 PM »

More soda talk:  I do, very infrequently, enjoy a Dr. Brown's creme soda - not diet.  I've never liked diet soft drinks.

We live near a vintage drive-in called The Jug, where they still serve root beer in a frosted mug, upon request.  We had burgers from there with Rob and Mary Linda this past Saturday and she had a root beer float.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #187 on: August 15, 2012, 06:41:37 PM »

Having been born and raised on the West Coast, the drink was always called pop to me.  It was only when I moved to New Jersey that I had to get used to calling it soda (or in NJ - "soder").  When my dear mother came east in the middle of August to visit me, she learned the lesson quickly.  Stepping into a McDonald's in the Village, she checked the reader board and saw on the lists of sodas, that they had Root Beer.  When they handed her the cup, she looked at it and said, "Where's the ice cream?"  I don't know who was more confused, my mom or the McDonald's employee. 

<A Root Beer Soda!>

Funny, except......

That would have been a root beer float.  Soda would be the ice cream or sherbet with soda water.

Not in Washington.  They were called root beer floats or root beer sodas.

I've never heard of a "root beer soda" meaning root beer with ice cream in it.  It's always been a root beer float.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #188 on: August 15, 2012, 06:42:06 PM »

All this drink talk begs the question of what you call them. As Doug R mentioned, soft drinks was one term we used. Or "Coke" as a generic for all soft drinks. Who uses pop? Or soda? Or what?

Coke as a generic?  I have only heard of Cola as a generic. Coke is Coca-Cola to me.

It seemed every time we moved I had to call it something different, usually between pop or soda.  I'm so confused now. ;)

Coke is very much a generic term for cola; just as 7-Up is generic for lemon-lime soda.

I'm sorry, I completely disagree.  If I order a 7-Up I had been not be given a generic lemon-lime soda without asking me.

Often, if you order a Coke they will say they have Pepsi & ask if that is ok.  The same is true if you ask for a Pepsi & they only have Coca-Cola.

Quite true.  And now days, if you order a 7-Up, they are required to ask if a Sprite or a Sierra Mist will be okay.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #189 on: August 15, 2012, 06:42:11 PM »

Thanks, DR Jane.  We don't really dwell on it, either.  Instead, we try to be supportive to his wife and daughters.

I'm sure they appreciate that.

Jane

« Reply #190 on: August 15, 2012, 06:42:27 PM »

It is too hot next to the computer.

'night

George

« Reply #191 on: August 15, 2012, 06:42:51 PM »

Charles, you're not doing anything wrong. It's INCREDIBLY slow. You literally have to wait more than a minute for anything to happen. Once it begins the clip will play through but it's broken into segments and once the segment is over it will take time for the next segment to load.

Unfortunately, because BK can't afford to upgrade the software for the entire site Donald's program is stuck in the past technologically because you must use Real Player to listen to the program. Streaming and audio feeds have skyrocketed past what this version of Real can do (even if you have the most current version 15) so you just need to be patient while listening to the show.

P.S. You can't "download" the show like you did with the other podcast. You have to listen to it in real time.

If you have a separate audio recorder on your computer, you could record as you listen to it.  I have an audio capture program that is able to download RealAudio files.  I tried to convert them to MP3s but for some reason they end up being too distorted to do it that way.  I could manually record the files as they played (either on-line or the downloaded files) and lower the playback volume, then they wouldn't be distorted.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:44:36 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #192 on: August 15, 2012, 06:44:44 PM »

That said, I might be one of the few people, anywhere, who has never tried a Dr. Brown's!

I've never even heard of a Dr. Brown's.

ChasSmith

« Reply #193 on: August 15, 2012, 06:46:58 PM »

Charles, you're not doing anything wrong. It's INCREDIBLY slow. You literally have to wait more than a minute for anything to happen. Once it begins the clip will play through but it's broken into segments and once the segment is over it will take time for the next segment to load.

Unfortunately, because BK can't afford to upgrade the software for the entire site Donald's program is stuck in the past technologically because you must use Real Player to listen to the program. Streaming and audio feeds have skyrocketed past what this version of Real can do (even if you have the most current version 15) so you just need to be patient while listening to the show.

P.S. You can't "download" the show like you did with the other podcast. You have to listen to it in real time.

If you have a separate audio recorder on your computer, you could record as you listen to it.  I have an audio capture program that is able to download RealAudio files.  I tried to convert them to MP3s but for some reason they end up being too distorted to do it that way.  I would have to manually record the files as they played (either on-line or the downloaded files) so that I could lower the volume, then they wouldn't be distorted.

I actually thought of that today but didn't try to pursue it.  HOWEVER, coincidentally (?), I just downloaded Audacity in an attempt to capture a Boston Symphony performance available only today, and it's recording right now.  I know little about what I'm doing, but it's high time I learned this stuff.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:49:08 PM by ChasSmith »

George

« Reply #194 on: August 15, 2012, 06:49:59 PM »

Where was I?  Root beers.  The other reason is that there's an incredible variety of them.  My go-to, however, is actually the ubiquitous A&W.  (Got a Proustian moment about that, too.)

For diet sodas, which is mostly what I indulge in on a routine basis now, it's:  Coke Zero (a godsend), diet Dr. Pepper, Diet A&W, and I, too, like that original chemical taste of TAB.  Isn't there still a saccharine version available somewhere?

Oh, and DR MBarnum mentioned orange creme sodas.  I generally don't like creme sodas (except the occasional root beer that's especially creamy -- that's just fine).  I did like Orange Julius, very much, though -- but only the way it was made at the O.J. stands in L.A. in the 1970s.  Tried one here a couple of years ago and it was a complete waste of taste bud expenditure.

Tab was the only diet drink I could tolerate.

I remember going to the A & W drive-in.  I never liked their root beer.  Baskin Robbins had a root beer I thought was exceptional.  I'm not sure what they have now is the same formula.

You are right about today's Orange Julius.  They haven't been good for years.  You can make your own, and it is even better than the original Julius's.  Pour Orange juice over vanilla ice cream, add a little vanilla, and beat. 

Didn't the original Orange Julius actually have egg whites in them?

ChasSmith

« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2012, 06:54:05 PM »

Where was I?  Root beers.  The other reason is that there's an incredible variety of them.  My go-to, however, is actually the ubiquitous A&W.  (Got a Proustian moment about that, too.)

For diet sodas, which is mostly what I indulge in on a routine basis now, it's:  Coke Zero (a godsend), diet Dr. Pepper, Diet A&W, and I, too, like that original chemical taste of TAB.  Isn't there still a saccharine version available somewhere?

Oh, and DR MBarnum mentioned orange creme sodas.  I generally don't like creme sodas (except the occasional root beer that's especially creamy -- that's just fine).  I did like Orange Julius, very much, though -- but only the way it was made at the O.J. stands in L.A. in the 1970s.  Tried one here a couple of years ago and it was a complete waste of taste bud expenditure.

Tab was the only diet drink I could tolerate.

I remember going to the A & W drive-in.  I never liked their root beer.  Baskin Robbins had a root beer I thought was exceptional.  I'm not sure what they have now is the same formula.

You are right about today's Orange Julius.  They haven't been good for years.  You can make your own, and it is even better than the original Julius's.  Pour Orange juice over vanilla ice cream, add a little vanilla, and beat. 

Didn't the original Orange Julius actually have egg whites in them?

I remember hearing egg whites, wheat germ, and I don't know what else.  Would love to know for sure.

George

« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2012, 06:56:52 PM »

We haven't done this in a while here at HHW...so, how about we tell each other our stage names using your current or last pet's name and your current street name (if you live on a numbered street use the closest cross street name or a previous street name, whatever works).

My stage name would be Freddy Winter.

Of course, that sounds more like the name of a rockabilly singer  :)

Ebonie Israel.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #197 on: August 15, 2012, 07:01:33 PM »

That said, I might be one of the few people, anywhere, who has never tried a Dr. Brown's!

I've never even heard of a Dr. Brown's.

Then I guess it must not exist.   :)
“One thing’s universal,

Laura

« Reply #198 on: August 15, 2012, 07:28:36 PM »

Congrats on your good interview, Danise.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #199 on: August 15, 2012, 07:29:23 PM »

Lately I haven't been wanting soda at all. I have been drinking water.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #200 on: August 15, 2012, 07:47:37 PM »

Again, I'm not much of a soda drinker, but all this talk of Dr. Brown's makes me want a celery soda. Big time.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #201 on: August 15, 2012, 07:49:25 PM »

Been watching "Synecdoche, N.Y.," which was better on second viewing, but I'm still not convinced it's as great as the critics made it out to be.

Now, I'm watching a Martha Graham short before turning in. The way these dancers move makes my lumpy self feel even lumpier.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Cillaliz

« Reply #202 on: August 15, 2012, 07:51:31 PM »

I prefer unsweetened ice tea

Cillaliz

« Reply #203 on: August 15, 2012, 07:51:45 PM »

if I drink pop, it's Diet Dr. Pepper

Cillaliz

« Reply #204 on: August 15, 2012, 07:52:11 PM »

I like all kinds though.

Cillaliz

« Reply #205 on: August 15, 2012, 07:54:07 PM »

Glad the interveiw went well Danise.  Hope whatever happens is what you want to have happen

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #206 on: August 15, 2012, 07:54:50 PM »

Sorry to hear about Jose's friend.

Cillaliz

« Reply #207 on: August 15, 2012, 07:55:18 PM »

I'm tired today.  this has been a long week and it's only Wednesday.   We were reviewing tomorrow's schedule at the end of the day and Edith was just sure tomorrow was Friday.  Wish she was right, lol

Cillaliz

« Reply #208 on: August 15, 2012, 07:55:29 PM »

DR Jose, sorry about your friend

FJL

« Reply #209 on: August 15, 2012, 08:52:50 PM »

Surprised not to see more noting of Julia Child's 100th birthday. 

I wonder if it's because she was talked about so much when the movie JULIE AND JULIA came out.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up