Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: WHO KILLED TEDDY BEAR?  (Read 35363 times)

Tomovoz

Re: WHO KILLED TEDDY BEAR?
« Reply #330 on: February 03, 2009, 04:35:45 PM »

My favourite scene in Yentl is still the Charles Bridge in Prague.  I don't hate the movie at all but it could have been so much better.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #331 on: February 03, 2009, 04:39:36 PM »

So, no one has mentioned that the long-awaited dvd of YENTL has arrived. . . . .

It just ended up in my review queue this morning, so I'll probably get it by week's end.  I must say, I don't hate the film as much as some here seem to, and I actually quite like the score.

I like the movie YENTL, but then I like Barbra Streisand, Bette Midler, Bernadette Peters, and several other performers that seem to be fair-game for snide comments.

AMEN, TCB....AMEN!  

LOL!  :D

I'll take "our" taste over "theirs" any day!   :)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #332 on: February 03, 2009, 04:40:01 PM »

DAW:
Quote from: Tomovoz on Today at 06:20:51 PM

Well maybe that's because it has been available for about 4 years here.

Yes, but not THE DIRECTOR'S CUT with commentary, rehearsal footage, etc., etc.    :)

Not to mention the ELEVEN deleted scenes.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #333 on: February 03, 2009, 04:42:38 PM »

So, no one has mentioned that the long-awaited dvd of YENTL has arrived. . . . .

It just ended up in my review queue this morning, so I'll probably get it by week's end.  I must say, I don't hate the film as much as some here seem to, and I actually quite like the score.

I like the movie YENTL, but then I like Barbra Streisand, Bette Midler, Bernadette Peters, and several other performers that seem to be fair-game for snide comments.

Ugh, LENTL! And she was so sure that turkey would get her a best directing Oscar. I still remember the brouhaha when she wasn't nominated. It might have been a good movie in someone else's hands. I love  what I've read by Isaac Bashevis Singer. His wonderful play TEIBELE AND HER DEMON was one of the most beautiful flops I've ever seen: great cast, direction, design, music, and the critics killed it.

To be fair, she did win the Golden Globe for Best Director.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #334 on: February 03, 2009, 04:43:26 PM »

Ugh, LENTL! And she was so sure that turkey would get her a best directing Oscar. I still remember the brouhaha when she wasn't nominated. It might have been a good movie in someone else's hands. I love  what I've read by Isaac Bashevis Singer. His wonderful play TEIBELE AND HER DEMON was one of the most beautiful flops I've ever seen: great cast, direction, design, music, and the critics killed it.

To be fair, she did win the Golden Globe for Best Director.

To be critical, I don't think she deserved it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #335 on: February 03, 2009, 04:43:45 PM »

TCB:
Quote from: JMK on Today at 06:56:19 PM

Quote from: td on Today at 06:18:41 PM

I like all them ladies, too, DR TCB.  I'll even add Patti LuPone and Donna Murphy to the mix.  I think they're all diva-licious!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #336 on: February 03, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »

DR JMK - a long ago reference, but we had eight Rainbow Lorikeets feeding here today. That is not usual for them to be on the seed bowls.  We also had 13 King parrots earlier - new families!

As it happens I don't have my camera here.  I take a few things to my sister's house for the worst weeks of the bushfire season.  We've already had fires in the area - and some still burning.

New families of King parrots & no camera :(

VIBES THERE ARE NOT ANY BUSHFIRES!!!!

MAY YOU & THE BIRDS BE SAFE!!!

Tomovoz

« Reply #337 on: February 03, 2009, 04:44:38 PM »

I'd still much rather listen to Bernadette's "Gypsy" than Patti's.  OK I can listen to Bernadette's right through.  I could not get past "Some People" on the other.

I tend to like Bernadette's work (but I've not seen her live) but think she was so "Wrong" in some roles - but I guess work is work.

(I still prefer Angela's version of "Gypsy".  Bette's is OK. I still find that Bette is too aware of the camera in her films - as is Renee Z).

Babs can be Brilliant.  Back to Broadway was fine.  Back to Basics (without David Foster) would have been better!

It's all value judgements of course.   Some people (Gypsy again) find Adam Sandler amusing!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #338 on: February 03, 2009, 04:46:56 PM »

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0209/18324.html

Isn't his 15 minutes long over? I can't believe the GOP is still showcasing this idiot!

It isn't the GOP that is showcasing the guy.  Some organization called the Conservative Working Group is doing the showcasing.  Only an idiot would confuse the CWG with the GOP.

The article says the CWG is an organization of conservative Capitol Hill staffers who gather to plot GOP strategy...close enough for me.  If the GOP is taking advice from Joe the Plumber, one can plainly see how irrelevant they've become and how they continue to not get it.  The future of the party does not lie with cretins like Joe the Plumber and Sarah Palin.  To embrace them will only continue to marginalize the party.
The CWG is a faction within the GOP.  They do not represent the party as a whole.  Indeed, the only way the CWG is able to get any attention is by hawking a celebrity - if they didn't have JtP coming to their meeting (and you can bet they're paying him to come), no one outside their membership would even take note that a meeting was going on.

Further, that whole "plot GOP strategy" doesn't mean they're running the party.  It means they're plotting how they're going to try to run the party.  Not the same thing at all.

No one said they were running the party.  But the problem is the Party spends far too much time pandering to the fringe elements of their party rather than the moderate, mainstream voices that actually still know what the core principles of the Party are.  As long as they keep listening to the Palins, Plumbers, Limbaughs, one-issue, rigid religious whack-os, and anti-intellectual, uneducated rubes, they're going to get nowhere.
You do realize that the new Chairman of the GOP is Michael Steele, right? 

Joe the Plumber is a publicity stunt.  Steele is a highly educated moderate.  Steele trumps the lead pipe any day.

When Mr. Steele compares stem cell research to Nazi experiments, you wonder how moderate he is.  Also when he states the main problem with the Republicans is their marketing rather than their ideas, you wonder just how effective he'll be moving intransigent far right conservatives in the party toward the middle. 

Interesting allegations, Pogue.  Could you provide us with the actual quotations, where he said what you are claiming he said?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #339 on: February 03, 2009, 04:47:55 PM »

Thank you DR Jane.

We are less stressed this year with no dogs.  I've also reached the stage where I know "things" can be replaced. Would I really wish to to replace all these CDs and DVDs?

I did pack Larry's favourite conductor's "Showboat" and a few collections by Sondheim etc.
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #340 on: February 03, 2009, 04:51:28 PM »

I watched last night's THE CLOSER while I ate lunch.

First off, I wasn't fooled for one second concerning the first big reveal. I knew the moment the door was opened what was going on.

Some of us have a more "practiced" eye in detecting such subterfuges. For the regular viewer the last thing to cross their mind might be the first to cross ours.

der Brucer

It was the first thing Keith said. ;D

I'm having this vision....DR Jane is online at HHW.com and reads posts aloud to DH Keith.  DH Keith, on occasion, remarks to what has been said.  DR Jane, on occasion, passes along said remark. 

:D

;D  A common occurrence, though often the HHW comments are lost in translation ;).  Neither have anything to do with Keith's quick catch last night.  Where he acquired that skill I have no idea, he just seems to have it. :-\ ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #341 on: February 03, 2009, 04:54:46 PM »

Thank you DR Jane.

We are less stressed this year with no dogs.  I've also reached the stage where I know "things" can be replaced. Would I really wish to to replace all these CDs and DVDs?

I did pack Larry's favourite conductor's "Showboat" and a few collections by Sondheim etc.

You could make your collection "mobile", ya know!

Laura

« Reply #342 on: February 03, 2009, 04:58:12 PM »

Has Judy Kaye ever played Rose? Was she good? Or would she be good?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

« Reply #343 on: February 03, 2009, 05:00:57 PM »

It's been a bad week for DVD viewing here:

Quantum of Solace
Zoolander
You Don't Mess With Zohan

We at least managed to get to the end of the first one - just to see if there was any story line amid the effects.

All in all - three movies that were pointless. 

I must remember to avoid and Stiller or Sandler movies - no matter who recommends them or provides them.  SO BAD and NOT funny in any way.

I'm looking forward to "Milk" and "The Diving Bell & The Butterfly" which await viewing.

NetFlix show Solace releasing in March.

We are Adam Sandler fans, and while not a great movie we did laugh a lot during "You Don't Mess With Zohan"

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #344 on: February 03, 2009, 05:03:08 PM »

all sorts of previous posts

Yes...."this" kind of dogmatic quackery coming from a representative of the party that gave us the Third Reichian "Homeland Security Agency".  

Careful, Ron.  What Pogue is saying was said, and what was actually said, aren't the same thing.

Just saying.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #345 on: February 03, 2009, 05:04:07 PM »

I think Judy Kaye can do anything.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #346 on: February 03, 2009, 05:04:59 PM »

Judy Kaye did Rose in Seattle. . .she's a great listen, one of those performances I wish I could see.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #347 on: February 03, 2009, 05:05:04 PM »

Callie had a blood check this morning.  All her levels were normal.  My cat sitter said "Isn't it remarkable how quickly she recovered once you switched vets?"  anyway, we're going to try to wean her off the prednisolone now. Hope that works out.

BEST OF VIBES CALLIE CAN GET OFF OF THE PREDNISOLONE!!!

CONGRATS ON THE TEST RESULTS!

td

• td
« Reply #348 on: February 03, 2009, 05:05:22 PM »

Ditto.

Laura

« Reply #349 on: February 03, 2009, 05:07:21 PM »

She was great as Mrs. Lovett. Too bad the production was so awful.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #350 on: February 03, 2009, 05:10:43 PM »

T.O.D.

CALIGULA - Actually I rather enjoy the film.

And speaking of sleaze; that book HOLLYWOOD BABYLON, It's Back (not to be confused with Kenneth Anger's original) is probably one of the sleaziest books I have ever read.  I end up taking a shower after every chapter, just to wash the filth off.
As long as you aren't then using the pages to towel yourself off...

td

• td
« Reply #351 on: February 03, 2009, 05:11:06 PM »

Talkin' Broadway's review of Judy's GYPSY:
http://www.talkinbroadway.com/regional/seattle/se53.html

Seattle Times' Review of Judy's GYPSY:
http://www.judykaye.com/gypsy_seattletimes.htm

td

• td
« Reply #352 on: February 03, 2009, 05:12:42 PM »

T.O.D.

CALIGULA - Actually I rather enjoy the film.

And speaking of sleaze; that book HOLLYWOOD BABYLON, It's Back (not to be confused with Kenneth Anger's original) is probably one of the sleaziest books I have ever read.  I end up taking a shower after every chapter, just to wash the filth off.

I keep that particular tome in the guest bathroom on the reading rack.

I can watch CALIGULA, but I cannot watch it with a serious attitude, nor a straight face.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #353 on: February 03, 2009, 05:17:35 PM »

Time to check on the ham that's in the oven.

(Referring to an actual part of a pig - not an actor.)

Laura

« Reply #354 on: February 03, 2009, 05:19:31 PM »

I am off to the first meeting of February.

Tomovoz

« Reply #355 on: February 03, 2009, 05:25:57 PM »

Lest DRs think I am viewing pirated el cheapo movies - I have access to a few "for your consideration" discs from a BAFTA source.  Hence, "Milk", "Quantum" etc.

James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #356 on: February 03, 2009, 05:27:46 PM »

She certainly has fans in OZ and France.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #357 on: February 03, 2009, 05:34:56 PM »

Lest DRs think I am viewing pirated el cheapo movies - I have access to a few "for your consideration" discs from a BAFTA source.  Hence, "Milk", "Quantum" etc.

BAFTA is sending out consideration discs for You Don't Mess With Zohan?

Who knew?

td

• td
« Reply #358 on: February 03, 2009, 05:37:56 PM »

BAFTA is sending out consideration discs for You Don't Mess With Zohan?

Who knew?

Adam Sandler HAS to have a fan somewhere. . .

Cillaliz

« Reply #359 on: February 03, 2009, 05:40:38 PM »

Callie had a blood check this morning.  All her levels were normal.  My cat sitter said "Isn't it remarkable how quickly she recovered once you switched vets?"  anyway, we're going to try to wean her off the prednisolone now. Hope that works out.

BEST OF VIBES CALLIE CAN GET OFF OF THE PREDNISOLONE!!!

CONGRATS ON THE TEST RESULTS!
thanks Jane. She's never been healthier and has gained 2 pounds! She's been healthy for quite a while now,. so I figure it's a good time to try to get her off the prednisolone.  The cat sitter can give her the lactulose, so if I can get her off the pills, I won't have to limit all my vacations so she isn't off her meds too long.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up