Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: ME FOR THE SEESAW  (Read 22101 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: ME FOR THE SEESAW
« Reply #180 on: April 06, 2009, 01:21:38 PM »

Oh... I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet here in HHW, but...

Patelson Music House in NYC will be closing their doors on April 18. They are currently running a "25%-Off Spring Inventory Sale", and I'm wondering if any other discounts will be introduced over the next week and a half.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #181 on: April 06, 2009, 01:22:10 PM »

When I got back, I started on THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER, Volume 3 of the Disney Shorts Collection. I'm not sure I have ever seen this 25 minute version of the story. It was made in 1990 and features all of the recast voices for the characters. It was OK but truly nothing very special, and having characters like Donald in the story only to lose his temper two times and that was his only contribution seemed kind of weak. Some missed opportunities, I thought.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #182 on: April 06, 2009, 01:23:48 PM »

Next came "The PIED PIPER" from 1933, one of the Silly Symphonies. The operetta kind of score that all of those films had back then doesn't wear so well today, but it's a reasonably faithful version of the old tale. I thought about DR Elmore when the tune "Joyland" was played, very similar to Victor Herbert's "Toyland."
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 01:25:28 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #183 on: April 06, 2009, 01:26:14 PM »

Next was "Old King COle" with various nursery rhyme characters heading to King COle's castle for a party. The same kind of operetta score as in the other Silly SYmphonies.

Matt H.

« Reply #184 on: April 06, 2009, 01:27:47 PM »

Next up was "Ye Olden Days," a 1933 Mickey Mouse cartoon (in black and white; the other shorts are in Technicolor) with Minnie slated to wed Dippy Dawg (early incarnation of Goofy) until minstrel Mickey happens on the wedding.

Michael

« Reply #185 on: April 06, 2009, 01:30:14 PM »

Illya Darling arrived and I am going to go listen to it right now.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #186 on: April 06, 2009, 01:31:02 PM »

Other favorite soundtracks

Star Wars
Superman The Movie
Somewhere in Time
Born Free
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #187 on: April 06, 2009, 01:31:10 PM »

Judge:  So, Mr. Mouse, you say here that you want to divorce your wife Minnie because you believe that she is insane?

Micky:  No--I meant that I want to divorce her because she's f*ckin' Goofy!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Michael

« Reply #188 on: April 06, 2009, 01:31:46 PM »

Other favorite soundtracks

Star Wars
Superman The Movie
Somewhere in Time
Born Free

And I just realized the first two are John Williams and the next ones are by John Barry
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #189 on: April 06, 2009, 01:32:52 PM »

And the set had a fifth short - the 1946 Goofy cartoon "A Knight for a Day." Here Goofy must face champion knight Sir Cumference for the hand of Princess Esmeralda.

The Goofy "How to" cartoons are some of my all-time favorites, but this was pretty weak.

I really wasn't bowled over by the collection. I didn't really understand the rationale behind these particular shorts being grouped together. They're not all about knights. I guess they ARE all set in the middle ages, but that's about it. They're not from the same year or all in color or all starring Mickey or any other feasible reasons for their grouping.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 01:34:47 PM by Matt H. »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #190 on: April 06, 2009, 01:34:06 PM »

OH!

DR elmore - One of the young women who auditioned this Saturday sang a song from Babes in Toyland, "I Can't Do The Sum".  However, according to the title page, the music and lyrics were by "Bill Francoeur".  -But it sure sounded like Victor Herbert's music to me.  And when I paged through here script/score, the rest of the music looked more than somewhat familiar.

In your research, have you come across this version?  -It's listed in the Wikipedia "Babes in Toyland" entry.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #191 on: April 06, 2009, 01:34:22 PM »

Of course, later in the afternoon, the Blu-ray of GIGI arrived, so I'll start watching items on it tonight. There are both the musical and nonmusical versions of GIGI on it, so I'll definitely watch one tonight and one tomorrow. There's also a making of documentary, a commentary and other items of interest.

Michael

« Reply #192 on: April 06, 2009, 01:35:25 PM »

And I hate to say it but I just caught a typo.

On the cast list Orson Bean is credited as Home Thrace instead of Homer
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #193 on: April 06, 2009, 01:42:13 PM »

Well, I'm gonna leave the office/studio for a few hours. I just hope I don't carried off by the winds - it's really gusty outside right now.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #194 on: April 06, 2009, 01:44:31 PM »

This from scottsimms on All that Chat about ILLYA DARLING:

The Golden Fleece recovered!

Posted by:   scottsimms 04:02 pm EDT 04/06/09
Jason and his Argonauts, for all their troubles in securing the mythical treasure, had nothing on cast recording collectors who've endured 40 years of waiting and false alarms for the release of ILLYA DARLING on CD. But that day has arrived and the gorgeous labor of love from Kritzerland is worth every drachma. It's great to finally hear the opening sequence, PO PO PO, which establishes Homer Thrace's character and contains delightful underscoring. as well as the short THE BIRTHDAY SONG, with its masculine chorus.

Having only recently learned that the ENTR'ACTE was the actual OVERTURE in performance, it still takes a bit of adjustment on my part not to hear the TAVERNA DANCE (the former BOUZOUKI NIGHTS) kick off the album but it does make me wish I could have heard it live in the theater with those bouzoukis wafting up from the pit. And how nice to hear the orchestrations with greater clarity in what must have been a tough assignment, given the original recording's overly resonant ambience.

So let's fry up some saganaki, crack open a big bottle of Metaxa and toast Mr. Kimmel, with our thanks.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #195 on: April 06, 2009, 01:45:09 PM »

Thanks.  Late yesterday morning, I went to Costco and had a hot dog, cola and a twist (chocolate AND vanilla) fat-free frozen yogurt.  For dinner, I walked to the local Dairy Queen and had the four-piece chicken strip basket and a Blizzard.

???

I already offered condolences on the Wicked thing.  I was referring to the librarian thing.  :)

Shows you how observant I am. ::)

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: April 06, 2009, 01:47:54 PM »

I hate typos - the cast list was added at the last minute and I thought he'd just scanned it from the Theater World, but I guess he set it himself - oh, well.

George

« Reply #197 on: April 06, 2009, 01:48:39 PM »

This from scottsimms on All that Chat about ILLYA DARLING:

The Golden Fleece recovered!

Posted by:   scottsimms 04:02 pm EDT 04/06/09
Jason and his Argonauts, for all their troubles in securing the mythical treasure, had nothing on cast recording collectors who've endured 40 years of waiting and false alarms for the release of ILLYA DARLING on CD. But that day has arrived and the gorgeous labor of love from Kritzerland is worth every drachma. It's great to finally hear the opening sequence, PO PO PO, which establishes Homer Thrace's character and contains delightful underscoring. as well as the short THE BIRTHDAY SONG, with its masculine chorus.

Having only recently learned that the ENTR'ACTE was the actual OVERTURE in performance, it still takes a bit of adjustment on my part not to hear the TAVERNA DANCE (the former BOUZOUKI NIGHTS) kick off the album but it does make me wish I could have heard it live in the theater with those bouzoukis wafting up from the pit. And how nice to hear the orchestrations with greater clarity in what must have been a tough assignment, given the original recording's overly resonant ambience.

So let's fry up some saganaki, crack open a big bottle of Metaxa and toast Mr. Kimmel, with our thanks.

Nice review! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #198 on: April 06, 2009, 02:09:07 PM »

I'm going to jump off-line now and get busy writing up my work project for today. Then downstairs to turn-of-the-centry Paris for GIGI on Blu-ray.

WBBL.

td

• td
« Reply #199 on: April 06, 2009, 02:11:08 PM »

I have a corned beef brisket slowly boiling on the back burner.

And what time would you like us all to arrive?      :)

As fast as your little feet can carry you.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DAW

« Reply #200 on: April 06, 2009, 02:21:37 PM »

As fast as your little feet can carry you.

"Not that little!"       ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 02:25:09 PM by DAW »

Michael

« Reply #201 on: April 06, 2009, 02:21:55 PM »

Another interesting side light of Illya Darling

One of the members of the ensemble went on to greater fame by appearing in a ground breaking play and its movie adaptation.

Robert La Tourneaux (Timid Sailor) who one year and three days later would appear in Mart Crowley's The Boys In the Band. He played the role of  Cowboy (Harold's birthday present)

From a photo session where he also posed nude for After Dark a "gay but not gay" entertainment magazine (1968-1982)

For La Tourneaux it would be more of a curse than a stepping. La Tourneaux was openly gay and that was very bold in the early 70's. He would appear in three other films in small roles and one more play on Broadway.

He would later go on to do a cabaret act at gay adult movie theater. in 1983 he was convicted of assault and went to Rikers.

He contacted HIV and the full blown AIDS during his stay.

He made headlines when he sued his landlord who wanted to evict him from his apartment because he had AIDS.  He won his case and he died in1986.

As Cowboy in The Boys In the Band
Never stop dreaming.

DAW

« Reply #202 on: April 06, 2009, 02:22:24 PM »

What in the heck is all this about bazooka nights?     ;)

George

« Reply #203 on: April 06, 2009, 02:30:42 PM »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #204 on: April 06, 2009, 02:47:42 PM »

This is a sad state of affairs: 

Rutgers Board of Governors Approves Name Change Dropping Word "Library" :-\

Not that I have any connection to Rutgers.

The uneducated say and do a number of stupid things.

And one of them, initialed J C, is driving me mad on the Cast Recording List today. I wish someone would shoot him and put me out of my misery.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: April 06, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »

DR elmore3003 - agree with your assessment 100%!!      :P

His last response to my last one still boggles my mind! I looked at 20-30 photos; he's seen one and the ass is correct and I'm a liar. What planet is this moron from? One of my friends says he's as dumb and infuriating on the opera list.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #206 on: April 06, 2009, 02:51:20 PM »

Oh... I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet here in HHW, but...

Patelson Music House in NYC will be closing their doors on April 18. They are currently running a "25%-Off Spring Inventory Sale", and I'm wondering if any other discounts will be introduced over the next week and a half.

I was in there recently and it was so bare, I asked if they were going out of business. They assured me they were not. Too bad. I loved that store, and the Patelsons were lovely folk.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: April 06, 2009, 02:52:10 PM »

Illya Darling arrived and I am going to go listen to it right now.

The whore didn't come to my house today.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: April 06, 2009, 02:57:39 PM »

OH!

DR elmore - One of the young women who auditioned this Saturday sang a song from Babes in Toyland, "I Can't Do The Sum".  However, according to the title page, the music and lyrics were by "Bill Francoeur".  -But it sure sounded like Victor Herbert's music to me.  And when I paged through here script/score, the rest of the music looked more than somewhat familiar.

In your research, have you come across this version?  -It's listed in the Wikipedia "Babes in Toyland" entry.

Pioneer Drama Service was my least favorite inventory at Drama Book Shop: it is the Edsel of play publishers. I do know there are too may BABES IN TOYLAND versions out there, most sugar-coated, keeping some characters, sometimes remnants of the original plot, and usually cutting a 3-hour show down to an hour or less for kiddies. I may have looked at the Francoeur score when I was still at the book shop. I check out the Wikipedia site regularly on BABES and keep the information on the original production correct.

DAW

« Reply #209 on: April 06, 2009, 02:57:43 PM »

WHY? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Because Dorothy needs a new pair of shoes??        :-\
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up