Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WENT THE DAY WELL  (Read 27886 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:WENT THE DAY WELL
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2006, 09:32:54 AM »

Enjoy the birthday.  Mark it well.

And take pictures.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2006, 09:36:50 AM »

Big Brother 7 SPOILER

In reverse order from last night's events:

--James won POV today.
--George nominated James and Erika for Sunday's eviction (this is a double-eviction week)
--George won HOH, besting Danielle in a final question.---Marcellas was evicted.
--Mike Boogie declined to use the Coup D'Etat for this particular eviction ceremony.
--Julie Chen informed Mike Boogie he won the Coup D'Etat and told him he has the power to overturn the HOH and his/her nominations only once at one of the next three eviction ceremonies.  Prior to the live vote, Julie will give him the chance to use his power, at which time he nullifies the existing nominations and names two replacement eviction candidates which will immediately be voted upon by the eligible houseguests.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 11:25:01 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2006, 09:38:54 AM »

Last night's America's Got Talent" competition -- DREADFUL television.

Just imagine Regis Philbin singing "There's No Business Like Show Business" .  He can't sing.  The music was, naturally, over-orchestrated to compensate for his non-singing talent (as IF...).

And the winner....big voice, little control....but maybe...one day...a new Garland or Merman...!!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2006, 09:39:47 AM »

Best thing that didn't happen last night:  Little Miss Yodel -- Taylor Ware -- did not win the competition.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2006, 09:43:34 AM »

I'm glad it's Friday, but the work day is wearing me down really fast.

Rather...one of my co-workers is wearing me down really fast...

She's worse than Kayne's chatty-Cathy model from two weeks ago...yak yak yak yak yak yak yak yak...and absolutely nothing of interest to me whatsoever.

Sigh.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2006, 09:44:33 AM »

One week and one day from now I will be getting ready to go see the New York-bound revival of "A Chorus Line."

And I am really excited about it!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 09:45:13 AM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2006, 09:51:01 AM »

After a week of jogs that have been absolute torture, I'm pleased to report that today's jog was much easier and pretty much a breeze.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2006, 09:58:24 AM »

My gradeschool lunch lady had one of those cool AMC Matadors. Great looking car. The back was really cool with these round lights. Once in my first year in NYC, I saw one of those parked on Park Ave. It was white and looked absolutely brand new. I just stared at it for awhile.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2006, 09:59:04 AM »

Something about which I am really jazzed:

34 years ago, in a High Fidelity Magazine article on film music and a side story on the collecting of film music soundtracks, composer Elmer Bernstein (The Ten Commandments, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Magnificent Seven, et. al.) announced he would begin recording much-wanted/requested film scores for his "Film Score Collection" club.  Membership would require you to buy two LPs a year ($8 plus s/h).

Bernstein recorded 13 albums, and released a 14th of a score by Jerry Fielding.  Among the Bernstein-conducted titles were "Helen of Troy," "To Kill A Mockingbird," "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir", "Thief of Baghdad" and "Wuthering Heights."  Before his death, Bernstein returned to the podium on a new recording initiative, and this time he recorded his most-requested score, "Kings of the Sun."  That recording makes its debut in this boxed set (as FMC-15) and easily lives up to the standards Bernstein instilled in his Film Music Collection some 30 years ago.

While the recordings were good (some even superb), the pressings were a bit on the noisy side.

This past week, however, 34 years after that announcement, these recordings -- except for the Jerry Fielding score (which BK issued on one of his 3 Jerry Fielding CD albums on Bay Cities) -- made their debut on CD in a stunning boxed set.  The Bernstein-conducted material was beautifully remastered and the results are, to my ears, startlingly good.  I've been mesmerized by the sound quality and by the extraordinary detail Bernstein captured in the recordings.

At any rate...it's a modern blast from a distant past.  I can't say that anything has pleased me as much in recent years as this boxed set of CDs.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 11:30:02 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2006, 10:00:22 AM »

Could not see the Cracked image. But I didn't get a red X, but rather a Blue question mark. The mystery continues.

Incidentally, CRACKED has just relaunched. I met the guy who bought the rights a few months ago. They have had a humor website for awhile under the CRACKED banner, and now the mag is back, but it is more like a lampoon of a STUFF or FHM magazine. Cartoons are reduced if not eliminated altogether.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2006, 10:00:46 AM »

Happy Birthday jhvw!!! Yeah, lotsa nice folks on here.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2006, 10:01:34 AM »

Great quote yesterday from musicguy, "In the parlance of the young, 'That sucked.'"

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2006, 10:01:56 AM »

Is it just me?  Or....does anyone else NOT recall their grade school lunch lady?

:D

Rodzinski got an early start on cars....most of my friends didn't notice cars until Junior High....

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 10:03:20 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2006, 10:03:50 AM »

Something I well remember, however, are the yeast rolls we'd get for lunch once a week in Junior High school (grades 7-9).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2006, 10:04:17 AM »

Yeast rolls....yeast rolls....yeast rolls.

Makes me drool just thinkin' about 'em.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2006, 10:04:36 AM »

Not a pretty sight.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2006, 10:13:56 AM »

If you had Mrs. Brust you would have remembered her. She was evil incarnate. But she had a cool car. She also happened to live a few houses away from me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2006, 10:14:46 AM »

I shall now shower and then be on my way to the breakfast meeting, after which I shall go to Mr. Geissman's house, after which I shall return to begin making fixes to the last four short stories.

Ben

« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2006, 10:22:44 AM »

MusicGuy, hope the trip to England is fun AND uneventful. One of my favorite places in the entire world. Just wish the pound wasn't so strong. I'd go over more frequently.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2006, 11:13:28 AM »

A metropolitan used to park next to me in the lot when I worked at Society of Professional Journalists.....I took a picture and will see if I can find it.

Now must search for STRAY DOG recommended by the erudite MR BK.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2006, 11:16:19 AM »

Is it just me?  Or....does anyone else NOT recall their grade school lunch lady?

Be sure to ask DR Elmore about his grade school (or was it junior high?) lunch lady.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2006, 11:16:20 AM »

Drove by my sister's house on the way home from the Post Office.  The Pontiac Grand Prix that I gave to Molly that she then sold to my nephew...about four weeks ago.....has been in an accident....the door and rear panel on the passenger side is demolished....

Four weeks....took longer than I thought it would.

Cillaliz

« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2006, 11:16:42 AM »

Big Brother 7 SPOILER

In reverse order from last night's events:

--James won POV today.
--George nominated James and Erika for Sunday's eviction (this is a double-eviction week)
--George won HOH, besting Danielle in a final question.---Marcellas was evicted.
--Mike Boogie declined to use the Coup D'Etat for this particular eviction ceremony.
--Julie Chen informed Mike Boogie he won the Coup D'Etat and told him he has the power to overturn the HOH and his/her nominations only once for the next three eviction ceremonies.  Prior to the live vote, Julie will give him the chance to use his power, at which time he nullifies the existing nominations and names two replacement eviction candidates which will immediately be voted upon by the eligible houseguests.

MORE BB SPOILERS

The key to the Coup D'Etat is that you can't nominate the HOH or the winner of the POV. So he couldn't have nominated Janelle or Danielle last night. I'm not surprised he's waiting

Cillaliz

« Reply #113 on: August 18, 2006, 11:17:57 AM »

One week and one day from now I will be getting ready to go see the New York-bound revival of "A Chorus Line."

And I am really excited about it!

We'll expect a full report!

Ginny

« Reply #114 on: August 18, 2006, 11:19:49 AM »

We'll expect a full report!

DR Cillaliz - do you have tickets yet for A Chorus Line?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2006, 11:21:49 AM »

DR Cillaliz - do you have tickets yet for A Chorus Line?

Yes, for Wednesday, Oct 4..the night before it opens.  

Ginny

« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2006, 11:24:06 AM »

Yes, for Wednesday, Oct 4..the night before it opens.  

And DH Richard and I see it the night before that.  Wednesday is when we're seeing The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.

Cillaliz

« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2006, 11:28:58 AM »

We still have Friday and Saturday open.  We both want to see more shows, we just haven't decided what to see.  JH loves musicals and so do I. I'm still thinking about The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, though.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #118 on: August 18, 2006, 11:32:56 AM »

Just bought STRAY DOG widescreen DVD NOT Criterion....Region 0 from Canada....$10.49 including shpg.  Wait wait wait wait wait....is it here yet?

Jennifer

« Reply #119 on: August 18, 2006, 11:33:08 AM »

Re: last night's televised BIG BROTHER SHOW.

I was happily surprised with chicken george's noms. Very surprised.
But i was disappointed that they did not award janelle anything for winning queen of the prom.

I guess i am stupid. But i thought they might let her compete. What do you guys think would have been fair?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up