Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IMAGINE MY SURPRISE  (Read 32497 times)

Kerry

Re:IMAGINE MY SURPRISE
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2004, 07:49:44 AM »

VCR: One last delicious episode of "Surfside 6" (thanks to a delicious HHW friend)

DVD:  One last episode of the 4th season of The Sopranos (we've beeen doling them out hating to see it end).

CD player:  Maureen McGovern  sings Alan and Marilyn Bergman (I'm stuck on three selections that I keep playing over and over), a Linda Eder CD and a a Diane Schurr CD--

Cassette tape- a compilation tape that starts with Bette Middler singing "Ukulele Lady,"Guy Hianes singing "It Doesn't Matter at All, "  Forever Plaid singing "Perfidia," Lyn Larsen playing "Ukulele Lady," Percy Faith's version as well as the original soundtrack version of the "Theme from Summer Place," and the theme (Boyce and Hart included) from "Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows."  Oh, PLUS, various music from the soundtrack to "Penelope" (written by Johnny Williams).

Also in the VHS is "Jeanne Eagels" (which I just started watching)-- thanks to another equally delicious HHW friend)  I had only ever seen the movie once just after television had been invented----so what I saw then was black and white.  However I remember seeing later (in an issue of In Touch or something like that) a poster for the movie advertising it "IN Gay Color."   Given Kim Novak's status at Columbia at the time I'd be surprised if the original wasn't in color (gay or otherwise).  But I am deeply, deeply grateful to you, dear Jack for the film.

Now I need to go read yesterday's posts which I missed and find out all the things you can apparently do with peanut butter (or Vegemite to Tomovoz).

I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2004, 08:03:32 AM »

Dan-in-Toronto:

If it's not a medical flare-up at that time of day (depending on when meal times are), then your lovely dog knows that you're a sucker for such things and knows he can get away with it with you.
Dogs and kids both know that they can get away with things with me that they couldn't get away with DRMusicGuy.  I give in too easily and the dear tots and dogs consider me more of a peer than an authoority figure.  Archie knows he can get your attention.

That is my uneducated but very much experienced guess.  You and I need to learn to be firmer and butcher in such cases (NO COMMMENTS FROM TCB OR ANYONE ON THAT LAST SENTENCE!!!!!!!!)

And myabe Sherwood Schwartz could write the theme song to "Diagnosis Colitis"..... "Just sit right back and you'lll hear a tale..." OR  "Here's a story 'bout a dog named Archie....."
I like boat races.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2004, 08:10:19 AM »

Re:  The Secret of Dr. Kildare.  Well I know I personally was shocked....SHOCKED to discover that Richard Chamberlain was.....

(finish as you will)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2004, 08:11:25 AM »

All this talk of glass teats reminds me of the boy's "doll" in A Thousand Clowns (my favorite play).

Imagine My Surprise is a lovely song from Personals, one of those waltzes that most people don't realize is a waltz.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2004, 08:13:44 AM »

Good morning.
DVD - nothing
VCR- a tape of CBS Sunday Morning with an interview w. Jim Sheridan I want to see
CD -  Casals: Bach Suites for Cello
Walkman - PALS

Dan-in-TO - Try giving Archie a few drops (I don't know the exact amount - other DRs do) of Rescue Remedy. There was a discussion about this a month or so ago and many seemed to feel that it works to calm our little furry friends (and dogs, too).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2004, 08:14:21 AM »

DR DAN - do you suppose it's something that is happening in your neighborhood at that time that only Archie can hear....a mechanical or mfg. plant that does something....or even something in your home that is set to run or cycle at that time?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2004, 08:15:17 AM »

Re:  The Secret of Dr. Kildare.  Well I know I personally was shocked....SHOCKED to discover that Richard Chamberlain was.....

...not a natural blonde?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2004, 08:30:11 AM »

OMG - I was just reading reviews of THE MUSICAL OF MUSICALS mentioned by DR WEL....and of course being from Indianer I hadn't not even got wind ov it.....and fell off my chair at the mock Sondheim lyric:

Que sera, Seurat!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2004, 08:33:16 AM »

It is oh so hard to go through two days of posts, thinking of a comment one wants to make about every post, and then finally getting to the end and forgetting all those witty, insightful things.

CD Player at Home:  Midler Experience the Divine, which I couldn't resist yesterday when I picked up a copy of Wicked for a friend.

VCR:  A tape where I timeshifted Catch Me If You Can and All That Jazz (hoping it is an unbowderlized version) from a couple of the multiple movie channels I get with the new digital cable I just hooked up.  More on that later.

As long as HE (i.e. Harlan Ellison) is a topic of discussion today (as opposed the SHE, with whom FS Charles Pogue also has some acquaintance), I must do the obligatory name-dropping by mentioning that I gave HE a ride to the Kalamazoo airport in 1973--and got lost on the way.  My most vivid memories of the writers' conference we were both attending at the Kellogg Mansion:  

1.  The Kellogg ghost.  Late at night, reading stories for discussion the next day, you could here eerie sounds coming from the attic:  snap, crackle, pop.

2.  The conference center mainly held Christian conferences, Bible studies groups, etc.  The looks on the faces of the staff when HE would get a long-distance call and proceed to thunder for all to hear:  "YOU CAN TELL PARAMOUNT TO GO F*** THEMSELVES!!!"

3.  The dismissive comments I made about Gus Hasford's rough-draft of his story "The Short-Timers", later expanded to a novel and filmed by Kubrick as Full Metal Jacket.  :-[

TV Shows that got canceled: I don't think anyone mentioned Paper Moon.  It was delightful, featuring Christopher Connelly (who had played Ryan O'Neal's brother on the Peyton Place series) and a pre-Taxi Driver Jodie Foster as Addie Prey--a sweet little hick, although she was attending the Lycée Française de Los Angeles at the time.

They filmed it on location in Kansas et al, with non-union locals taking many of the bit parts.  Low key.  No laugh track.  I particularly remember the episode where Addie entered a Shirley Temple look-alike contest.  The series was strong on characters, a bit weaker on fabula and syuzhet. :o
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 08:36:01 AM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2004, 08:41:38 AM »

Good Morning!

"Imagine My Surprise" - Why do I hear Ella Fitzgerald singing this phrase in my head?!?!  Duke Ellington?  Really hot horn section?  -Is it the wallflower song?!??  I'll have to investigate my CDs later - I'm thinking one of those Cote D'Azur concerts...

Media Check: - Nothing this week.  Even surprises me.  Mainly NPR for me this week.  But it has been nice watching Prime TV this week and not having it all be reruns.

Well, I need to get going - meeting my friend, Craig, at the movies - In America.  Got my pack of Kleenex ready.

Back after the movie!
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2004, 08:43:17 AM »

fabula and syuzhet.

OK, I'll bite: fabula and syuzhet?  Define, please.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2004, 08:45:52 AM »

DR Noel - I think they would have been BIG STARS, but Abbott and Costello got the roles.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2004, 08:47:01 AM »

I was awakened this morning by an incredibly sharp pain in my calf muscle.  I don't know what I did, but I pulled the damned thing lying in bed!  I can barely hobble about now.  I'll stay off my feet as much as I can and as painful as it is, I've been rubbing it really hard to try to work it out.  I don't need to limp for ten hours tomorrow.

I'm no TIVO expert, but - the machine itself works in conjunction with a digital dish is what I gather.  So, the dish part of it is obviously a subscription like cable is.  The TIVO unit can be had cheaply through one of those companies.  It's amazingly simple to use and you can program it to record whatever you want whenever you want with total ease.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2004, 08:48:18 AM »

If it's not a medical flare-up at that time of day (depending on when meal times are), then your lovely dog knows that you're a sucker for such things and knows he can get away with it with you.
Dogs and kids both know that they can get away with things with me that they couldn't get away with DRMusicGuy.  

That is my uneducated but very much experienced guess.  You and I need to learn to be firmer and butcher in such cases

DR Kerry,

I'm pretty sure you nailed it: firmer and butcher.

Lord knows I've tried, but you can't fool a spaniel.

The earlier part of your post, combined with DR JRand53's comment about time of day, made me realize that, before Archie's condition, this wasn't only dinner and play time, but dessert time. Now, following the vet's strict orders, there's to be no dessert (i.e., dog treats) - only the specified dog food. Maybe that's why he's so agitated.

DR Panni, thanks for the tip about Rescue Remedy. I checked out the earlier posts, and will soon be picking up some RR at the Omega Center on Yorkville Ave.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 08:58:58 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2004, 08:48:34 AM »

CD: "The Robe," "Under the Tuscan Sun," "Secondhand Lions," "Wicked," "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story," "David Shire: Film Music," "The Prisoner of Zenda", "Khartoum/Mosquito Coast"

DVD: "Topper/Topper Returns"

VHS: "Justine"
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2004, 08:54:05 AM »

MR BK - maybe it happened when you got your hair cut.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2004, 08:54:58 AM »

Re the Fiddler reviews - I've read about seven of them and they were all mixed to extremely negative.  Haven't seen Kissel's.  Mandelbaum was the only mixed that didn't really quite achieve negative, as if he were going out of his way to not do so.  But Brantley and the others, to my eyes, were deadly.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2004, 08:57:36 AM »

DR Noel: There was a discussion of film schools a few days ago, wherein DR DerBrucer quoted at length from a frightening and funny article by David Weddle in the Times.  Briefly:

The prose was denser than a Kevlar flak jacket, full of such words as "diegetic," "heterogeneity," "narratology," "narrativity," "symptomology," "scopophilia," "signifier," "syntagmatic," "synecdoche," "temporality."  I picked out two of the--"fabula" and "syuzhet"--and asked Alexis if she knew what they meant.  "They're the Russian Formalist terms for 'story' and 'plot,' " she replied.

"Well then, why don't they use 'story' and 'plot?' "

"We're not allowed to.  If we do, they take points off our paper.  We have to use 'fabula' and 'syuzhet." "

I typed this in as is from my print-out.  Note that I would have put the quotes before the commas, but leave us not be pedantic.
--Wayland Flowers

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2004, 09:00:20 AM »

We've been tempted to get a TIVO, but are both leery of the whole privacy issue (they keep records of what is watched, what is taped, how many times you rewind to see a particular part, etc., then release this information to the media and to corporations).

I must have missed the prematurely-cancelled-TV-shows that you enjoyed topic (from another day, I presume?).  What the heck...some of mine are:

James at 15 (which became James at 16 after the infamous episode where James experiences his "first time" with a Swedish (of course) exchange student).  Great secondary characters, a sensitive and thoughtful portrayal of adolescence and oh yeah...the whole '70s thing is a hoot, too.

Freaks and Geeks   (maybe I'm prejudiced because this almost captures the time I was coming of age (it's about five years early), but I really liked this.  It kept getting pre-empted and then VOOM!  It was gone.)

The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.   (we had big fun watching this, but The X Files got all the ratings and the critical plaudits.)

Kolchak: The Night Stalker   (ironically enough, primary inspiration of The X Files 20 years later.)

NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Lulu

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2004, 09:02:42 AM »

WFO:  See, you've hit the nail on the head; this is why, even though I'm fairly smart and do actually enjoy (in some ways) higher education, I don't consider myself an academic.  Entirely too much of this self-important, cliqueish, circle-j*** nonsense for me to take it entirely seriously.  This is exactly the reason I'm not (currently) a grad student.

(And I'm ashamed to say I even know what diegetic means.)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2004, 09:05:27 AM »

DR Lulu:  The X-Files did acknowledge their debt to The Night Stalker.  Before they became a complete self-parody there were a couple of episodes with Darrin McGavin playing essentially his character from the earlier series.

btb (by the bye in Internet Lingo) did I ever mention that Darrin McGavin was one of the best Kings I've ever seen on stage in The King and I?  Who'd a thunk?
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2004, 09:05:57 AM »

DR Lulu - I will add another vote for James at 15/16 and The Adventures of Brisco County - and will also mention a show even though it ran 2 seasons DUE SOUTH!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2004, 09:12:50 AM »

When a person is no longer kempt, does that make him "ex-kempt"?

And if he's "ex-kempt" for a long time, does that give him an "ex-kemptlary record"?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2004, 09:22:57 AM »

"Diegetic" is used in different ways, based on a google search I did.

I'm most familiar with it in terms of "diegetic sound" in movies:

Diegetic sound means sounds that have to do with the story, sounds that originate from something that can be seen in the picture.

Thus, if you see an orchestra playing music on screen, the sound is "diegetic sound."  

Non-diegetic sound is the underscore -- that music that appears out of nowhere trying to establish an emotional transition or psychological response.

One of the oddest sensations, to me, is watching "Laura" on home video.  This title was held up from video release because rights to some of the music heard in the film could not be obtained (at a price Fox home video was willing to pay, one supposes).  

It is my belief (and DR Nick Redman may have different information he can share) that the music originally used in the film -- in the cafe's, restaurants and coming from the radio -- had to be replaced.  This would be "diegetic" music -- music that was part of the atmosphere of the on-screen locale in which the story was unfolding.

What is odd to me is that now, on home video, the music (rather, the tune) you hear in the cafe's, restaurants and coming from the radio, is "Laura's Theme" performed by different sized musical groups.  Thus, the diegetic converges with the non-diegetic in a way that is a tad disconcerting to me (not that it would be that way for most folks who generally profess to be unaware of music in movies).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 09:30:53 AM by RLP »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2004, 09:24:49 AM »

Been watching One Night in the Tropics, part of the Abbott and Costello collection.  What a strange film - A&C were just plopped in as characters named Abbott and Costello, and the film just stops every few minutes (once they make they're entrance) for them to do their routines (I mean their vaudeville routines, not routines scripted for the picture).  Otherwise, we get Bob Cummings, Alan Jones and others, and a short song score by Jerome Kern and Dorothy Fields, which includes a poor rendition of a great song, Remind Me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2004, 09:29:14 AM »

So what would it mean DRRLP if we have non-diegetic music in our lives?

Lulu

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2004, 09:30:00 AM »

While I'm busy responding to long-expired topics, I'll just go ahead (since I was upset at the time that I missed the first two decades of the List Your Favorite Films from A Certain Decade Theme Week topics) and list my favorite films from the '30s and '40s, as though anyone cared:

1930s

Red Dust
Trouble in Paradise
Tarzan and His Mate
The Marx Bros. films from The Cocoanuts through A Day at the Races
The 39 Steps
The Lady Vanishes
The Thin Man
Bombshell
Love Finds Andy Hardy
Swing Time
Shall We Dance?
Mad Love
The Mummy
Blonde Venus
Grande Illusion
Test Pilot
Captains Courageous
The Shop Around the Corner
Ninotchka
The Most Dangerous Game
M

1940s

Now, Voyager
Mildred Pierce
The Best Years of Our Lives
Meet Me in St. Louis
Life With Father
A Letter to Three Wives
Arsenic and Old Lace
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
Citizen Kane
Jane Eyre
Rebecca
Pinocchio
Ball of Fire
Mark of Zorro
Miracle on 34th Street

Hey, this is fun.  BK, I think one day the topic should be "Topics from Other Days that You Originally Missed."

Lulu

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2004, 09:31:46 AM »

I've always wanted non-diegetic music in MY life...specifically, John Williams' The Imperial March should thunder in everybody's eardrums each and every time I enter a room (cape aflutter).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2004, 09:36:13 AM »

So what would it mean DRRLP if we have non-diegetic music in our lives?

It would mean that somehow, through divine providence, not to mention mysterious circumstances, that your life is being underscored.  Some invisible orchestra, band or harmonica/accordion/kazoo player is accompanying you and playing music to accompany your life!

Mind you, elevator music does NOT qualify in this respect.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 09:37:36 AM by RLP »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2004, 09:41:52 AM »

In terms of a narrative (from the internet):

DIEGESIS: A narrative's time-space continuum, to borrow a term from Star Trek. The diegesis of a narrative is its entire created world. Any narrative includes a diegesis, whether you are reading science fiction, fantasy, mimetic realism, or psychological realism. However, each kind of story will render that time-space continuum in different ways. The suspension of disbelief that we all perform before entering into a fictional world entails an acceptance of a story's diegesis. The Star Trek franchise is fascinating for narratology because it has managed to create such a fully realized and complex diegetic universe that the narratives of all five t.v. shows (TNG, DS9, STV, Enterprise,, the original Star Trek) and all the movies occur, indeed coexist, within the same diegetic time-space. An important event in one of the movies affects all of the the other shows and films in the franchise.

The L.A. of Bruce Kimmel's youth in the Kritzer stories is an example of "diegesis."  (Please do not confuse with Bruce of L.A.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up