Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS WAY MADNESS LIES  (Read 23977 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THIS WAY MADNESS LIES
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2004, 09:23:53 AM »

I LOVE TOMATOES!

I adore tomato sandwiches....two slices of Sunbeam bread, slathered with Duke's mayonnaise, and a thick slice of a huge beefeater tomato in between, nicely salted and peppered.

YUMMY!

I cannot get Duke's mayo or Sunbeam bread here in Oakland.  In fact, none of the white bread locally available has the texture of a good slice of Sunbeam or any East Coast white bread, for that matter.

For a light summer's repast.....dice a couple of fresh tomatoes, add fresh chopped basil (10-15 leaves), fresh "pressed" garlic (no whole pieces), toss them all together and cover with olive oil.  (Cover means "to the top of the tomato mixture).  Let it set for at least an hour before using so the oil can absorb the flavors.

Cook your favorite pasta and toss with your fresh garden concoction.  Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 09:24:43 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jason

« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2004, 09:35:16 AM »

I've sneaked onto the computer for a moment, which is silly because I'll be up at the reception desk in just 27 minutes where I'll have free use of the computer, but I just wanted to stop by and break up the monotony of my day. Interesting things, tomatoes. They're a fruit...but so many consider them a vegetable. I just consider them icky. Give me cake anyday. Or chocolate chip cookies. Or Dippin' Dots, which I may just have to have after lunch today.

I'm wearing my DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES T-Shirt--at work, even!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2004, 09:40:50 AM »

Question of the day: What have you learned from other DR's?

I was thinking about that earlier, when I posted about my feelings toward tomato aspic. In olden days (a Cole Porter reference) I probably would have used the word "hate," but from DR SWW I learned to use that verb sparingly.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2004, 09:56:37 AM »

I have never seen MAMMA MIA - although I liked a lot of ABBA songs, and I enjoy the soundtrack to Muriel's Wedding - I think I might like the show, but I HATE audiences that dance in the aisles and sing along, and I have heard that that happens at MM to some extent.

A:  May people dancing and singing in the aisles around you be the worst experience you ever have to endure, Dear Reader JRand53

B:  It only happens at Mamma Mia! following the show proper, in an encore sequence presented as a mini-concert.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2004, 09:58:00 AM »

I saw A CHORUS LINE when it was still at Joe Papp's before it got to the Shubert.  I loved it but thought it was too "in" for the general public to get and would not be too successful.  I'm glad I was wrong.

To understand why the PIPPIN OBC CD is not that good just look at the label it is on.  Motown was not exactally known for its cast recordings.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jay

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2004, 10:01:42 AM »

And for many reasons I would love to have done the original Pippin album - it just doesn't sound like a Broadway album, and doesn't really show that score off the way it should.  I was thinking about doing the Papermill Pippin until I saw it.  I really love that score and someday would love to do a proper musical theater album of it.

Ya know, Reprise! is doing Pippin in January.  Mebbe you and Marcia Seligson should talk...

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2004, 10:04:12 AM »

DR MattH, I cannot believe that you aren't familiar with any ABBA songs. Most of the songs that are in MAMMA MIA are extremely well-known.

As for MAMMA MIA, I knew as soon as I saw it in London that it would be hugely popular in NYC and Toronto.

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2004, 10:10:48 AM »

Speaking of tomatoes, my sister's nephew loves them.  I mean he is 3 and you could just give him a plate of tomatoes and he would be happy.

Anyhow, they live in Nunavut (WAY up north). And tomatoes cost $1 each.

When I called there last weekend, they had just bought some tomatoes (they don't that often since they are very expensive).

And all I could hear in the background, was the little boy screaming, "TOMATOES, TOMATOES" at the top of his lungs.  He was so excited. :)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2004, 10:11:14 AM »

A) Tomatoes:  Not crazy about them in salads, but I do like them on hamburgers.  Just not the kind of thing I would eat on its own.  Though I like a good tomato-based sauce on pasta, and the tomato/basil/mozzarella salad that I believe is called caprese.  As much as I loves me some good french fries, I always have them naked.  NO ketchup.  Ketchup only goes on burgers for me, with mayo. (And is there another ketchup besides Heinz?)

B) Sports: I enjoy swimming, and always have.  I also enjoy non-competitive (i.e.: of the NON-killer variety) volleyball, with other vertically challenged people.  I will watch just about any sport during the Olympics (winter and summer), though I would rarelywatch sports at any other time (save figure skating).

C)  MAMMA MIA:  Feh.  And until someone 'fesses up to the plot being stolen from both BUENA SERA, MRS. CAMPBELL and CARMELINA, I have no interest in discussing this particular theme park-ish attraction.  (Though I do love ABBA music.)

Jay

« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2004, 10:14:52 AM »

Insalata caprese is one of my favorite summer dishes:  tasty tomato, fresh mozzarella, straight-from-the garden basil and fragrant olive oil.  Abbodanza!  (Oh.  A Frank Loesser reference.)

Jay

« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2004, 10:17:07 AM »

Scary.  Both of us were posting about caprese at the same time.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2004, 10:22:06 AM »

My dear friend Briar also has a fear of balls coming towards her face.  
Yes, you can all rest assured we've made many a joke out of this over the years! :D

Must be hell on her social life!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2004, 10:24:09 AM »

DR Stuart, are you confessin' that, like me, you are, shall we say, short?

I am short. There, I've said it. I don't care. It actually makes people think I'm younger than I am. Don't know why but unless you have aged to the point of Joel Grey (he takes voice lessons in the building next to mine in Chelsea so I see him on the street frequently and he's smaller than me!) people seem to think if you're short, you're not that old. Maybe they think I'm going to grow more. I stopped growing in about 7th grade, reaching my towering height of 5' 3".  DR Jay, do you and your brother share the trait of shortness?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2004, 10:25:42 AM »

DR Danise: Re: what you said about the Milford and how you would never stay there again.

Now I'm not sure what size room you got.  There are some smaller rooms. And it sounds like that is what you had at first.  Although the room you ended up with (that fit two twin beds) does still not sound like a regular room.

You just have to be forceful until you are happy.  I always make sure to get two double/queen size beds.  Because in order to have them, the room has to be big enough to fit them both. :)

Most NYC hotel rooms that I've seen are similar size (that fit the 2 double beds).

I

Yes, I agree.  It doesn't sound like they did very much to accommodate you Danise.  The rooms I have always ended up in have always been large and very comfy, with two full or queen size beds.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 10:49:16 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2004, 10:27:41 AM »

Welcome, new DR Joey. I'm sure you will enjoy your time spent at HHW.

Thanks to all the DRs who responded about MAMMA MIA. It pretty much echoed what most people have told me about it. I bought the cast album in a used rack for $7 and have never played it, but I will before I go to the show. My only familiarity with ABBA is from the PRISCILLA movie.

Two years ago, I got a call about doing some ABBA songs for a pops symphony concert in Europe.  Outside of one or two songs, I knew very little.  I got a 2-CD compilation like "ABBA Gold" and fell in love with it!  I'm sure I drove the  neighbors mad with it!

Welcome, DR Joey.  This is a wonderful group of folk and Dear Friend BK is our ever-charming host with the most.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2004, 10:28:03 AM »

Great story Emily....and if it can't be the Rangers....Calgary will do fine!

Tits and ass CAN'T change your life...unless they're yours!

Thanks DRJay...I hope so, too....but so far NOT!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2004, 10:28:20 AM »

Re:  Ask BK.  I'm just getting around to watching Star! and agree with you about its brownness (which seems to be a specialty of "color" by Deluxe), but I'm curious--why do you think the Entr'acte and Exit Music got left off?  Just sloppiness?  Or some deeply convoluted plot to get us to buy the Special Edition with the omitted music which will no doubt be released next year?  :)

What's convoluted is that the intermission and exit music on the laserdisc was created FOR the laserdisc.  I'm finding it difficult to learn whether there was, in fact, intermission music originally.  I believe what I've heard is that there was just some short piece that led directly into Part Two.  My memory is that the laser "producer" created what was on the laser, much in the way that the "producer" of the 1776 laser created an overture for that disc that was never part of the film or any showing.

Jay

« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2004, 10:30:08 AM »

DR Jay, do you and your brother share the trait of shortness?
Five feet eight inches.  In some places, I suppose, that's short.  In others, it's average.  Judge my height as you will.  It's the size of my heart that counts.

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2004, 10:30:55 AM »

NY Post: Michael Riedel.

Tony voters not seeing all the show (yet voting):

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06022004/entertainment/22117.htm

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2004, 10:31:21 AM »

Thus sprach BK:It feels like Belgium.

BK query:
I know you once lived on W. 96th Street (my neck of the woods), but now that you don't reside here:
Where do you stay when you're in New York?

I like to stay at that hotel on Broadway and 47, whose name, unbelievably, isn't coming to me - you know the one, next to the Palace.  Every room there is a suite and it's very comfortable and convenient.  A bit pricey at certain times, otherwise not too unreasonable.  I've wanted to give that hotel on 42nd Street (near 8th) a try.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2004, 10:39:30 AM »

I am short. There, I've said it. I don't care. It actually makes people think I'm younger than I am. Don't know why but unless you have aged to the point of Joel Grey (he takes voice lessons in the building next to mine in Chelsea so I see him on the street frequently and he's smaller than me!) people seem to think if you're short, you're not that old. Maybe they think I'm going to grow more. I stopped growing in about 7th grade, reaching my towering height of 5' 3".  DR Jay, do you and your brother share the trait of shortness?

DRBen, I just met you and only recall that you were not short!  

Ben

« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2004, 10:41:58 AM »

I think the BK hotel is the Doubletree across the street from the TKTS booth and right next to the uptown side entrance/exit to the N & R train and built over and next to the Palace Theatre, which belies the story that the Marriott Marquis builders told when they said they couldn't build over the the original Helen Hayes Theatre, the Morosco, and the Bijou, Broadway theatres they destroyed to make the ugly hotel and ugly theatre.

Jason

« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2004, 10:43:26 AM »

Stuart: I know that they credit BUENA SERA, MRS. CAMPBELL as source material for MAMMA MIA!, but I'm not sure about CARMELINA. I think they credit that one, too.

According to an article I read several weeks back, with all of the new productions of MAMMA MIA! opening around the world, the show may very well become the highest-grossing musical of all time. The woman who wrote the "book" for the show receives the standard 2% royalty payment from the total gross of the show internationally. According to the article, she's made close to $20 million since it opened in London back in '99 or 2000...whenever it was. That's pretty impressive. Imagine what Benny and Bjorn are making off of it!

The audience participation portion of the show really only happens during the curtain call/mini-concert. It's a good time. I don't suggest the London Cast Recording (the sound is terrible, and it's a total reproduction of the original tracks). I would say just get the ABBA Gold and More ABBA Gold albums--they're great fun, and if you don't know ABBA's music, you definitely need to pick them up. There's nothing like a little "Waterloo" to lift your spirits.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2004, 10:54:12 AM »

Scary.  Both of us were posting about caprese at the same time.

That is truly frightening!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 10:54:43 AM by Stuart »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2004, 10:57:02 AM »

I am not short!  I never want to hear that word in this house again!  (Oooh, a quasi-Tennessee Williams reference!)

I am, as I say, vertically challenged.  5'7"

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2004, 10:59:43 AM »

JR - Thank you in advance for my CD! I'll be waiting at my non-mailbox.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2004, 11:01:04 AM »

Stuart: I know that they credit BUENA SERA, MRS. CAMPBELL as source material for MAMMA MIA!, but I'm not sure about CARMELINA. I think they credit that one, too.

That would be surprising, as I recall that for years and years and years, the creators of CARMELINA denied any relationship to BS, Mrs. C and their show.  Most vocal about it at the time of the opening were Messrs. Lerner and Stein.  So to see those two titles credited together as source material for MM would, as I say, be surprising.....

But let's face it, they ALL have the same plot.  But only one of them had Miss Georgia Brown!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2004, 11:03:45 AM »

Now that I have gone through my mini-frenzy, could one of you dear readers explain how to include multiple quotes in one posting?

You'd think I was showboating (ooh, a Ferber, Kern & Hammerstein reference) until I got to the next HHW level of membership, but that is still some time off, and I actually couldn't figure out how to respond to all of those posts in just one of my own.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2004, 11:18:51 AM »

DR PANNI - 73:01 of thrills and excitement.  Or boredom if it doesn't strike you....LOL.

I am 5' 9 3/4" tall.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 11:19:38 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2004, 11:21:44 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Haven't I already posted today?!?!?

??? ::) :P :-\

I also like the DoubleTree too.  Yes, it can get pricey depending upon the time of the year, but it's a great location - and those warm, chocolate chip cookies you get when you check in are such a great welcome.

As for the Milford Plaza - well, and any hotel in NYC (or elsewhere) - the room you get is usually not assigned until you check in, so you get what's available (hopefully in the room "type" that you reserved).  -Of course, it's different if you've made arrangements for a suite, so...  I've stayed at the Milford Plaza a few times, and had the "closets" and the standard size rooms.  They're all small, imho.  And, unfortunately, the hotel has always shown it's wear and tear - at least in the rooms I've stayed in.  As I mentioned in the past, I'm hooked on the Skyline Hotel over at 52nd and 10th.  Yes, it can seem a bit far from the action, but the rooms are roomy, and if you like quiet, it's far enough away from all the hustle and bustle of Times Square.  And when I drive up, the parking is only $8.00/night!

So... Since I didn't wake up until about an hour ago... and since I need to make a run to the post office...

Laters...

Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up