Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: GOOD GNUS  (Read 21017 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:GOOD GNUS
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2004, 10:07:25 AM »

Of course, the scene at my house when I got back home was not so sparkling.  On Tuesday morning, I noticed a hissing sound coming from my refrigerator.  It appeared to be localized and I could have sworn it was the sound of air rushing through the gasket around the refrigerator door.  I called GE and arranged a service call.

Last night when I got home, the hissing was louder and now there was water seeping out from under the refrigerator.   :P

Luckily, my service call appointment was for first thing this morning.  Sure enough, a leak had sprung in the water line to the fridge.  Happily, all is fixed now and no more hissing, no more leaking water.

Isn't that exciting?  Isn't that too too?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 10:09:05 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2004, 10:09:31 AM »

Thanks DRPANNI....does anyone know where a printable ballot can be located on the web?

The Tony Awards site has THIS link for a downloadable (and printable) .pdf file.

You can (on Windows PCs) right-click on the "THIS" link and select "Save Target As..." and save it to your hard drive.  I don't know about Macs.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 10:12:00 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2004, 10:33:54 AM »

Yes, JRand, go to the Tony site and download and then print the ballot. You need Adobe Acrobat on your system because the file is in PDF format but it prints in one page.

Also, here is a link to a Playbill On-Line article about the Tony Gift Bag.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/86509.html

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2004, 10:39:47 AM »

Ok, I am ashamed to admit I have never watched a Tony broadcast.

...but Dantheman...is the Tom Wopat era a good thing or a bad thing??? (asks the biggest Tom Wopat fan on HHW)!

Since I am bigger than you, DR MBarnum, you will have to settle for being Tom Wopat's second biggest fan.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2004, 10:43:32 AM »

Here's something we could do in honor of Cully...

I just got this email from a friend:

The Animal Rescue Site is having trouble getting enough people to click on it daily to meet their quota of getting free food donated every day to abused and neglected animals.
It takes less than a minute to go to their site and click on "feed an animal in need" for free. This doesn't cost you a thing. Their corporate sponsors/advertisers use the number of daily visits to donate food to abandoned/neglected animals in exchange for advertising.  (Weight Watchers is one of the sponsors!)
Here's the web site. Click on this link, and when the site opens, click on the purple box that says Feed an Animal for Free.  That's it.  
And do pass it along to people you know.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com
I'll take you up on this, Panni, and go one step further.  I'm adding it to my list of bookmarked pages, so I'll remember to click in the future as well.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2004, 10:43:55 AM »

I think they need to start a Best Ensemble category. It only seems fair. The cast of AVENUE Q would win it hands-down.

They gave one to the cast of "La Boheme" last year.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jason

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2004, 10:49:30 AM »

RLP: Yes, they did, but it wasn't an official "Ensemble Award." It was some sort of "Special Tony." I want them to have an official award every year...

Ben

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2004, 10:52:19 AM »

Here are my preditions (some based on hope, others on cold, hard facts)

Best Play: I Am My Own Wife

Best Musical: Wicked (I want Avenue Q but am realistic enough to know that Wicked will most likely take it)

Best Book of a Musical: Avenue Q

Best Original Score: Wicked (again, Avenue Q is my choice, I love this show. It's funny and brash and it has some great performances. It MUST win something)

Best Revival of a Play: Raisin in the Sun

Best Revival of a Musical: Assassins

Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play: Jefferson Mays

Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play: Phylicia Rashad

Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical: Hugh Jackman (I would love a tie between HJ and John Tartaglia from Q but it's not gonna happen)

Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical: If there is a tie I think it will be - Tonya Pinkins and Idina Menzel. If not, I think Tonya Pinkins but I want Idina Menzel to win

Best Peformance by a Featured Actor in a Play: Tom Aldredge

Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Play: Audra McDonald. I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Daphne Rubin-Vega to win for Anna in the Tropics but, again, it ain't gonna happen. She was dynamite in an otherwise (all in my humble opinion, remember) boring piece of work that left me wondering "Why did this win the Pulitzer Prize?"

Best Peformance by a Featured Actor ina Musical: Difficult choice but I'm going with Michael Cerveris in Assassins and not Denis O'Hare, although Raul Esparza could stage an upset and take the Tony

Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical: Anika Noni Rose- No question in my mind. It's as much of a lock as HJ in Boy from Oz. That being said, I think she deserves it. She was wonderful

Best Direction of a Play: Jack O'Brien for Henry the Fourth although it could be Moises Kaufman if there is an upset

Best Direction of a Musical: Joe Mantello for Assassins

Best Choreography: Wonderful Town

Best Orchestrations: Wicked

Best Scenic Design: Fiddler on the Roof. While you never believed for a minute you were in a dirt poor Jewish shtel in Czarist Russia (I was in some impressionist painting waiting for Uncle Vanya or Trigorin to show up), I think the scenic design and especially lighting for Fiddler was GORGEOUS

Best Costume Design: Wicked

Best Lighting Design: Fiddler on the Roof

We will see me harties.

Ben

« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2004, 10:54:25 AM »

DR Charles Pogue, having spent the Memorial Day weekend on Long Island w/Anthony, his parents and a wonderful West Highland Terrier named MacGregor, I know the joy an animal can bring. Best of thoughts to you and Julianne.

Jay

« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2004, 10:56:43 AM »

After dinner at Musso & Frank's last night (and while Dear BK and Dear Reader Panni were at Amoeba Records and my refrigerator was hissing and leaking water) I headed to the historic Egyptian Theatre in the heart of Hollywood, U.S.A. to watch an advance screening of the new Cole Porter biopic, De-Lovely, directed by Irwin Winker.

This film is neither the disaster that some have predicted, nor is it a particularly good film.

The good news:  Mr. Porter's music is front and center in the film and it is treated with respect.

The bad news:  there are plenty of flaws of ample magnitude in this film.

The central conceit of the movie is that Mr. Porter (Kevin Kline), in a state of advanced age and accompanied by someone only identified as Gabe (Jonathan Pryce), is brought to a run-down theatre, on the stage of which Mr. Porter's life--commencing with his introduction to Linda Lee (Ashley Judd)--is played out as a musical.

Creaky though this premise may be, it would work, except that the film frequently comes back to the aged Porter and Gabe, with Porter making comments about what he's seeing on stage.  These scenes chop up the flow of the narrative and their parallel to It's A Wonderful Life, intentional or not, is obvious and not very supportive of De-Lovely's mission.

As for the musical numbers, the people in some of the scenes break out into song and dance, and these are the weakest scenes in the film.  The one such scene that takes place on the MGM lot is particularly risible.  Sometimes, it's Porter himself singing a song, be it to Linda, in the context of a show rehearsal, or in some other scenario, and these scenes work fine.  The musical scenes that work best, and provide this film its greatest redeeming qualities, are when songs are used on the soundtrack to dramatically counterpoint the events we are seeing on the screen.  (Some scenes--logically--have a band and singer on the set, but they work the same effect.)

Kevin Kline is quite good as Cole Porter.  This is a reserved performance, not the antic Kevin Kline we have seen in much of his earlier work.  Ashley Judd is OK as Linda.  Her vocal inflection, however, is more than a little too pedestrian for someone of Linda's time and place.

The dialogue is a bit creaky in places, clever in others.  Best line comes after Cole and Linda have viewed Night and Day together before its theatrical release, when Cole says "If I can survive that movie, I can survive anything."

Porter's preference for the physical company of men is dealt with directly in the film, and is the source of much of the film's dramatic tension.  It also provides a source for some well-placed humor in the dialogue.  

Kline, who has an excellent singing voice, for the most part emulates the real Cole Porter's voice, which was so-so at its very best.  Most of the vocal interpretations by contemporary performers (i.e., Elvis Costello, Alanis Morissette, Diana Krall, Natalie Cole, etc.) are quite good, though Costello gets a bit heavy handed in places.

Some annoyances about the film:  At a little over two hours, it is too long by about twenty minutes.  There are two sub-plots, one involving a family whose relationship to the Porters is never fully explained and another involving some unseemly business, that could have been cut with no loss to the narrative.  There's a sequence in black and white that makes no sense being in black and white because the characters, settings and events in it are of a whole with the rest of the picture.  Mr. Winkler should have a restraining order placed on him that would prevent him from ever doing 360 degree shots ever again.  Surely a less predictable approach could have guided the sequence in which Porter is injured while horseback riding.  Although the makeup work on Judd as she ages is quite good, the job they did on Kline for the scenes in which he watches his life flashed back on stage is ludicrous.

De-Lovely is a certain improvement over Night and Day.  I await the definitive cinematic telling of Cole Porter's life and art.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 11:11:33 AM by Jay »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2004, 10:57:51 AM »

My complete Tony List (some of this is pure guesswork):

Best Play - I Am My Own Wife...Leading Actor in a Play - Christopher Plummer, King Lear...
I'm not picking on you here, Panni, nor on any of the others who have singled out Plummer or Klein as Leading Actor in a Play.  My prediction for Leading Actor is Jefferson Mays, for I Am My Own Wife.  He manages to clearly delineate between the three major, and countless minor, characters that he plays in this one-man show, and to make each character interesting.  In many ways, the performance and the play itself are a seamless entity.  And it is hopefully a star-making role; I know I would now go to see a play on the basis of Mays being in the cast.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2004, 11:08:35 AM »

A Nose for New York
[/size]

Just ran an errand and, since it's too lovely a day to head right back, I walked past the Kosuth and Tilden statues and then it hit me: the smell of tall grass.  A particularly summery smell, and it was here in my own neighborhood.  The last time I sensed such a thing was on Ward's Island, a part of New York that Nobody Ever Visits (which is probably why I like it so much).

It got me thinking back to DR Danise's description of her trip.  I wish I'd done a better job of convincing her:

1) Ride the subways
2) Spend as much time outside the theatre district as possible
3) Don't pick the Milford Plaza - your cheaper choice couldn't have been worse

but the smells.  Ah, the smells.

Did you get to Park Avenue?  No part of Park Avenue smells bad; the residents wouldn't stand for it.  There are flower beds in the middle of every block from the fifties to the nineties, and so, often, it smells of these flowers.

I know you'd a plan to go to Joe's Pub.  And there's plenty of interest nearby, including St. Mark's Place.  I've not smelled garbage there, but I've smelled incense, and pot, and it's a feast of all sorts of Youth Culture sensations.  One place that DOES smell awful is the little street behind the Ukranian church near McSorley's, the oldest pub in continuous use in New York.  135 years ago (I think), it was there.  35 years ago (I think), it was there, but you wouldn't have been allowed in because it didn't admit women.

Many a time I'm walking in a random neighborhood in New York, and suddenly fumes from a bakery will wash over me.  As they say "smells are free."  (And do nothing to your waistline.)  On my block, we've a Thai restaurant, and Indian restaurant and an American place with some Cajun items - and that's just my side of the street.  Actually, I'm kind of tired of those smells.

And that's to say nothing of interior smells.  Saks has its own smell.  Does Lord & Taylor?  I don't like Bloomingdales' smell, lament the long-gone Bonwit Teller scent, and was surprised to find Barney's has none.  Macy's stinks, as far as I'm concerned.

The Fulton Market, mentioned in Wonderful Town, is still in operation, and, while that's not a good aroma, I find it fun to be connected to a musical set in the thirties and written in the fifties.  And wander north from there, and you're lost in Chinatown, as I was on my wedding day, taking in scents that are exotic and undefinable to the occidental nose.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2004, 11:13:54 AM »

Thanks DRPANNI....does anyone know where a printable ballot can be located on the web?

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, JR, the URL I gave has a printable ballot. It prints out nicely on one page.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2004, 11:14:02 AM »

Re Blige: I'm of two minds here.  On the one hand, this smacks of nervous suits at the network, bringing in stars with the right demographics to draw in viewers who otherwise wouldn't view.  

What doesn't match, in this case, is that the "stars" are usually relegated to presenting.  Blige is performing.  This suggests that she, herself, is interested in the Tonys.  I'll be interested in hearing her perform.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2004, 11:16:51 AM »

I'm off to a short (I hope) story meeting. Then I'll read the rest of the posts and get into the Tony discussion.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2004, 11:21:50 AM »

I am so sorry about Cully, Dear Reader Pogue.

I woke up this morning and went to the kitchen to get my breakfast (a can of Cherry Coke) and realized that I had run out of cold Cherry Coke. So I put a bunch in the refrigerator and now I am waiting for them to get cold enough.

The end.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2004, 11:30:26 AM »

Cherry Coke update: I have moved one of them to the freezer. Please don't let me forget about it. My mom put a Diet Coke in the freezer once and forgot about it. It exploded and got crystallized Diet Coke all over everything in the freezer.

The end.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2004, 11:32:59 AM »

Yes...thanks DRPANNI.  I didn't notice it.  But I printed it from DRGEORGE's link AND found out all about the basket from DR BEN's link.

Whew....I now have my ballot but no basket!

DRJAY thanks for the preview of DELOVELY....interesting.  Since it was a preview, do you think they will be doing any more editing on it?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2004, 11:34:20 AM »

Sandra, don't forget about your Cherry Coke. You just cleaned your room. You don't want to clean up a freezer full of frozen Cherry Coke.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2004, 11:35:08 AM »

DR Charles Pogue (and The Lovely Wife, Julieanne) I am so sorry to hear about loss of your beloved Cully.  It is never easy to lose a family member, and no words can make up for the loss.  In time, I hope the joy of Cully’s life will surpass the pain of his passing.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jay

« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2004, 11:36:15 AM »

DRJAY thanks for the preview of DELOVELY....interesting.  Since it was a preview, do you think they will be doing any more editing on it?

No, I'm pretty sure it's set.  There have been a number of word-of-mouth screenings of the film in the L.A. area over the past few weeks.  The film was to open on June 25, but it's been pushed back to July 2 now.  Not sure if it will be a narrow or wide opening.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2004, 11:36:45 AM »

...but Dantheman...is the Tom Wopat era a good thing or a bad thing??? (asks the biggest Tom Wopat fan on HHW)!

Well, I would say that it was a bad thing during the early 80s when, to my knowledge, Wolpat could only number his appearance as a replacement in I Love My Wife as a Broadway replacement, and yet was recruited year after year as a presenter/performer on the Tonys.  It was something that just jerked my snobby, elitist chain.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2004, 11:43:51 AM »

Thanks DRJAY...that means it will be here in Indiana - in DECEMBER!!!

Watching the finals of the Scripps Spelling Bee on ESPN...down to five spellers...all boys!  I got to the state level in the seventh and eighth grades but never made the finals.

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2004, 11:50:18 AM »

My Tony predictions:

Best Play: I Am My Own Wife

Best Musical: Wicked

Best Book of a Musical: Wicked

Best Original Score: Wicked

Best Revival of a Play: Raisin in the Sun

Best Revival of a Musical: Assassins

Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play: Jefferson Mays

Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play: Phylicia Rashad

Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical: Hugh Jackman

Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical:
Tonya Pinkins

Best Peformance by a Featured Actor in a Play: Brian F. O’Bryne for Frozen

Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Play: Audra McDonald.

Best Peformance by a Featured Actor in a Musical: Raul Esparza

Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical: Anika Noni Rose

Best Direction of a Play: Jack O'Brien

Best Direction of a Musical: Joe Mantello for Assassins

Best Choreography: Wonderful Town

Best Orchestrations: Wicked

Best Scenic Design: Wicked

Best Costume Design: Wicked

Best Lighting Design: Wicked

Ben

« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2004, 11:55:23 AM »

Sandra, don't forget about your Cherry Coke. Just helping out :-)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2004, 11:57:28 AM »

In honor of "Blind" Cully (and those who loved him):

Eulogy to "Man's Best Friend" The Dog

Gentlemen of the jury:

The best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy.  His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it most.

A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its clouds upon our heads. The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog.

Gentlemen of the jury, a man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side.

He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer. He will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies, and when the last scene of all comes and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death."

~By Sen. George Graham Vest of Missouri.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2004, 11:59:34 AM »

The DeLovely film is locked.  These aren't previews in the old sense - these are what Jay rightly calls word-of-mouth screenings.  It sounds like Irwin Winkler has worked his non-magic again.  I'll probably give it a look on DVD.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2004, 12:02:56 PM »

LOL non-magic.....it's an epidemic!

Three spellers left!  And Indiana is still in!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2004, 12:03:51 PM »

Thank you, RLP.

Ben

« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2004, 12:04:01 PM »

Oh, btw, Sandra - you put a Cherry Coke in the freezer (doncha just love the nuudgers).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up