Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: SPOT DAY  (Read 25275 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SPOT DAY
« on: June 04, 2004, 12:00:09 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've learned all sorts of new details, and now it is time to do a spot of posting.  To it, I say. 8)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2004, 12:00:42 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:SPOT DAY
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 12:08:56 AM »

David Letterman just had on the cast of THE SOPRANOS doing the Top Ten List of "Things You Would Never Hear on The Sopranos".... Pretty funny.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 12:21:17 AM »

And just to carry through on a post from late Thursday...

I'm going to start a new daily feature...

"YOU'D NEVER GUESS THEY WERE HUNGARIAN..."

Our first Magyar is the ulitmate British gentleman. [DRUM ROLL]
LESLIE HOWARD - (b. 4/3/1893, London, d. 6/1/1943),
"Born Lászlo Steiner to Hungarian parents, Lilian and Frank Steiner, in London. Frank worked as a stockbroker. Leslie's younger years were spent in Vienna.  After school, Leslie worked as a bank clerk until the outbreak of World War I. In 1917, diagnosed as shell shocked, he was advised to take up acting as therapy. In a few years, his name was known on the stages of London and New York. He became known as the perfect Englishman, slim, tall, intellectual and sensitive, a part that he would play in many movies."

And a Jew who, in Gone With the Wind, played Ashley Wilkes, a Southern gentleman of the Civil War era, with a British accent.  Go know.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 12:30:58 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 12:26:30 AM »

In the CD player, a fresh delivery from Amazon. com.  Four "The Best of ..." compilations:

Mr. Franco Corelli
Miss Donna Summer
Mr. Henry Mancini
Miss Caterina Valente

Eclecticism rules, is all I can say!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 01:08:52 AM »

Let me just say that I love eBay.  "I love eBay."  There, I've said it and I'm proud.  Why do I love eBay?  I love eBay because I just got the first three seasons of "Queer As Folk" on DVD from China (okay, there is Chinese lettering all over the packaging...which is different than the US packaging...and all the discs are in individual thin plastic sleeves and not the individual fold-out holders), but the discs themselves are supposed to be the US releases.  And what, you may ask, is otherwise so special about the Chinese releases of "Queer As Folk" that I got on eBay?  Well, I realize that I got a deal from a specific seller, but instead of paying as much as $350 for all three seasons (which is the full, list price), or even amazon.com's $245 discounted price, I paid (not including shipping) $40.95!  I won three different auctions from the same seller and was able to combine the shipping for $20 (instead of $12 each, if I had gotten them individually).  That's a total of $60.95 for all three seasons of "Queer As Folk!"  And they arrived Thursday (yesterday)!!  That's why I love eBay.  Thank you.  And that's what's in my DVD player. ;D ;) ;D

In my CD player:  Nellie McKay's "Get Away From Me."  I love this CD (actually it's a two-CD set, but the full price is not more than $11 to $13 dollars--and I checked it out from my local library).  I highly recommend this CD.  She's only 19 years old, she wrote and produced all of the songs and she's so unusual (a Cyndi Lauper reference) and the songs are so diverse that you can't help but love it...well, I can't.  I first listened to it this past weekend and I liked it then, but I love it now.  She has two websites, www.nelliemckay.com and www.nelliemckay.net.  Check them both out!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 01:21:08 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 01:17:26 AM »

In the CD player, a fresh delivery from Amazon. com.  Four "The Best of ..." compilations:

Mr. Franco Corelli
Miss Donna Summer
Mr. Henry Mancini
Miss Caterina Valente

Eclecticism rules, is all I can say!
And of course taste - Caterina V. Hot Stuff baby.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 01:22:49 AM »

DVD player out of action this week (Well the TV attached is!).
VCR: "Me, Myself and I". Great movie. Not to be confused with "Me Myself & Irene". Much much better and more interesting than "Sliding Doors" which came out at much the same time.
CD: Triplets Of Belleville -s/track
Record player: The Spinners "Rubber Band Man"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2004, 03:32:00 AM »

Cd Player: Switchfoot-Meant to Live, Movin' Out, Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits

Dvd Player:Newsies

VCR:Song of the South

Tape Player: Tape adapter hooked into my laptop playing my entire music collection in random order.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Michael

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2004, 03:58:51 AM »

CD-Player:  Nancy LaMott  Listen to My Heart

haven't decided yet what my dvds will be this week
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2004, 04:27:46 AM »

Interesting.
 Read an article about Shirley Jones that says her last Broadway stage appearance was 35 years ago in Maggie May.

Yet her Playbill bio says it was 40 years ago in a revival of South Pacific with Jack Cassidy. And her bio doesn't even mention Maggie May.

And she is still married to Marty Ingels. Didn't they get a divorce because of all the strange this Mr. Ingels does?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 04:28:04 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2004, 04:44:41 AM »

Michael, It was Maggie Flynn (she co-starred with Jack Cassidy) in 1968. I remember hearing an interview with Shirley Jones in which she compared that score with Rodgers and Hammerstein at their finest.

And, after yesterday's talk of the new biopic, the CD currently playing is Susannah McCorkle - Songs of Cole Porter.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2004, 04:50:01 AM »

DR MS - they were separated, but Marty camped out on the lawn until she took him back....literally camped out - in a tent!  And Shirley and Jack missed so many performances of MAGGIE MAY, she might have forgotten she did it.   :D

DR GEORGE thanks for the Tony Tally yesterday - and DRJOSE's late votes, but in under the wire.  Interesting.  And ONLY ten voters?   Oh well.

Here in Indiana (and I thought JASON wrote Jewish Acres Theatre - until I looked again Amish Acres....) we have a tape delay as well, and so our show will not start until 9 pm Eastern time, but it will be 8 pm here....we are on Chicago time right now.  It's so Hungarian!

CD Player - South Pacific soundtrack
VCR - Born to Be Bad - Joan Fontaine is so born to be bad.....
DVD - The Day the Earth Stood Still - Gort, Klaatu barada nikto!
Phonograph - BONANZA - Ponderosa Party Time!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2004, 04:52:35 AM »

See Spot.  See Spot run.  See Spot disappear!   ;D

Ben

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2004, 04:56:50 AM »

Miss Julie Harris has the most Tonys as a performer (mentioned yesterday by Matt H) with 5 and Mr. Hal Prince has the most of all with 20 and Mr. Mike Nichols (married to Ms. Diane Sawyer) has 5 Tonys for Dramatic Direction (distinction made at the official Tony Web site). They are as follows:

Barefoot in the Park (1964), Luv and The Odd Couple (1965), Plaza Suite (1968), The Prisoner of Second Avenue (1972) and The Real Thing (1984).

Ben

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2004, 05:02:47 AM »

I don't know what I'm listening to at the office today. Anthony got home from Dance class yesterday and we decided to watch Two's Company last night instead of some time this weekend. We have a few things waiting to be viewed on the VCR but I can't remember what they are.

Iwill be going to my own annual Tony party on Sunday. It's just my two theatre buddies, Anthony and neighbors of one of my theatre buds from across the hall. We order take out and watch from the New York One (our local all news channel and the one good thing that Time-Warner Cable of New York City has ever done IMHO) Red Carpet arrivals at Radio City, then switch to the on-line distribution of the technical awards at 7ish and then switch to CBS for the big enchilada. I miss the first hour being on PBS but at least CBS has given 3 hours over to the show.

Jason, are you going to Arizona? Or Kerry, are you coming here?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2004, 05:22:58 AM »

Here in Indiana (and I thought JASON wrote Jewish Acres Theatre - until I looked again Amish Acres....) we have a tape delay as well, and so our show will not start until 9 pm Eastern time, but it will be 8 pm here....we are on Chicago time right now.  It's so Hungarian!

Is there any controversy over the name "Amish Acres Dinner Theatre"? I did a double-take when I first read it.  

Speaking of the Amish (Mennonites, in Ontario), in "Betrayed," on The Producers CD, when Max sees someone else's life flashing before him he says, "I'm not a hillbilly. I grew up in the Bronx." But in the Toronto production, it's, "I'm not Amish. I grew up in the Bronx." It couldn't be a regional thing, since Canadians would understand "hillbilly" as much as "Amish." So why the change?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2004, 05:43:56 AM »

DR Panni - "posing after winning nifty awards"? I'd say the 2002 Humanitas Prize - given to writers whose work "entertains and enriches the viewing public" - is more than nifty! Congratulations.

td

• td
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2004, 05:58:31 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Why can't it be TONY DALE weekend? ? ? ?[/move]

i've got media in all the players

cd:  Original Australia Cast:  ONLY HEAVEN KNOWS.  catchy tunes.  gorgeous title ballad, too.  I might want to take the ferry to the zoo after listening to this more and more.

dvd:  EURO TRIP, which, surprisingly enough, I found endearing: it is first and foremost,  a "Teen Comedy;" but it has something which most other ones don't have, a heart.  
BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER: Season Six:  omigod! i was completely and totally shocked (in a good way) in the paths that Joss Whedon has had his characters go on in this season!  Strange that I should be finishing this season, which deals graphically with *addiction,* at the same time that i had viewed Danny Boyle's remarkable TRAINSPOTTING.  For those DRs who have followed BUFFY, I just finished the episode titled, "Seeing Red;" in which Buffy (the heavenly Sarah Michelle Geller) finally came face to face with "The Troika," smashing Warren's orbs.
VCR:  CRUISING w/Al Pacino.

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2004, 06:12:54 AM »

What about 1980? (Dale and Barnum)

Outstanding Performance Tony - Dale (Jim) | Actor | Broadway Musical, Barnum

« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 06:14:05 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

td

• td
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2004, 06:15:32 AM »

I saw Jim doing BARNUM :)
I also saw Jim doing ME AND MY GIRL. ( which i also saw with Robert Lindsay, Tim Curry and James Brennan - whom I shall see again this summer opposite Sutton Foster). :)

Can you believe that Jeff Goldblum is doing THE MUSIC MAN here in Pittsburgh this summer?!?!?!?!?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ben

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2004, 06:16:56 AM »

I, out of respect for DR TD, will now refer to this weekend as:

[size=8]TONY DALE WEEKEND[/size]

We could also call it Martin Mull Lookalike Weekend (try to find a picture of TD and you'll see what I mean).

William E. Lurie

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2004, 06:17:29 AM »

CD - The Re-Mastered and extended A STAR IS BORN '54

DVD - Now that the deluge of new releases is over I'll catch up on some of the recent titles I bought but have not watched

VHS - A 90 minute (with commercials) 1967 tv production of KISMET done like a Vegas Tab show with 2 songs cut, other songs shortened and the basic outline of the plot retained with some dialogue changes and cuts.  It stars Jose Ferrar (who can act but not sing), Anna Maria Albregetti (who can sing but not act), Barbara Eden (who doesn't understand her character but is finally allowed to show her navel), George Chakiris (with a bubble haircut that would make Annette envious) and Hans Conreid (excellent as always).  Bob Mackie did the costumes and it shows.  
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2004, 06:18:25 AM »

I also saw Jim (and Glenn Close) doing Barnum. Tell me it wasn't 24 years ago.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2004, 06:23:24 AM »

I'm confused.  Did it get to be MBarnum weekend all of a sudden?

Someone burned me a Bette Midler CD, but I can't get it to play.  The other CDs are William Finn: Infinite Joy and Falsettoland

I'm off to give another of my relentless walking tours (to the www.WeddingMusical.com stage director and Maid of Honor).  Today, it's Lower Manhattan.  "At the Fulton Market now he yells fish"  "the Woolworth Tower" "the Battery's down" ...ah, the Comden & Green references abound.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 06:24:23 AM by Noel »
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2004, 06:29:16 AM »

Our DR Panni is much prettier than her fellow Hungarian Jerry Seinfeld.  It's a tie with her other fellow Hungarian, Leslie Howard, but considering that it's Leslie Howard...

:D :D :D 8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2004, 06:32:59 AM »

House cd player: Lee Lessack singing Johnny Mercer songs.
Car cd player: Um. I don't remember what's in it.
Still no vcr or dvd players
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2004, 06:34:53 AM »

Is there any controversy over the name "Amish Acres Dinner Theatre"? I did a double-take when I first read it.  

Speaking of the Amish (Mennonites, in Ontario), in "Betrayed," on The Producers CD, when Max sees someone else's life flashing before him he says, "I'm not a hillbilly. I grew up in the Bronx." But in the Toronto production, it's, "I'm not Amish. I grew up in the Bronx." It couldn't be a regional thing, since Canadians would understand "hillbilly" as much as "Amish." So why the change?
Think of it as an upgrade.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2004, 06:37:05 AM »

Can you believe that Jeff Goldblum is doing THE MUSIC MAN here in Pittsburgh this summer?!?!?!?!?
Uh...no.   :-\

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2004, 06:38:40 AM »

WEL - I am intrigued with that KISMET.  Haven't seen it, but I am intrigued.

No DinTO no controversy about Amish Acres....I just didn't read it right!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2004, 06:40:07 AM »

Nothing DVD or CD or the like.  It's a live theater week.

From the Ford Theater to Assassins.  There's a link here.

My co-worker Chris liked when I discribed the poster for Assassins as a guy sticking out his finger, like he's about to say "Pull it!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up