Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: SPOT DAY  (Read 25274 times)

Dan-in-Toronto

Re:SPOT DAY
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2004, 06:43:45 AM »

JRand53, I wondered about a possible controversy because "Jewish Acres Dinner Theatre" sounds inappropriate (not to mention that the brisket, cabbage rolls, matzah balls and strudel would put everyone to sleep before the show), so why wouldn't "Amish Acres"? I guess the Amish are okay with (or just ignore) the idea of a tourist spot named after them.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2004, 06:44:56 AM »

Hiya, gang!

Is this really my last day??? Am I really leaving New York tomorrow??? How time do fly. I just don't want to leave.

I've had such a lovely visit - I saw many old friends, and at least 3 new ones: Elmore, Jason and Ben who took me to dinner on Tuesday at Joe Allen, and made me laugh, and I'll be back, fellas. And I've seen 4-count 'em-4 shows: the incredibly great Assassins on Sunday, Phantom on Tuesday (came outa there whistling the scenery- whatta show!), The Producers on Wednesday (gosh, I LOVE that show!!!) and Barbara Cook's new concert show last night at Lincoln Center. Oh, my - do yourself a favor and go hear that one. She and Wally are just sublime. The finale is - I kid you not - Glitter and Be Gay! And Ms. Cook's splendid voice sings ALL THE NOTES.

I went back after, to say hi to Wally (he played a concert for me back in 1974!) and reminisce; and to hug Barbara, whom I have known and loved for the 30 years since I first met her in Los Angeles. When I grow up, I wanna be Barbara Cook.

Oh, the girl can still sing better than anyone out there. The audience were alternately convulsed with laughter and awash in tears. She plays us like a violin.

Anyway, a year and a half ago when I saw her Mostly Sondheim show here and in Seattle, I showed her my manuscript and several working titles : Cheap Trills, A Little Trouper, etc- and she is the one who said, "It HAS to be Jewish Thighs on Broadway!" So, when I finally handed her a copy last night, she crowed, "You did it!" Just to be in her presence is to be energized and restored. She is very like the sun - a truly radiant Being.

So, Pen, what are we gonna do today? Whatever it turns out to be, I know I'm moving back here in the near future. I'm coming home.
PennyO

Ben

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2004, 06:52:29 AM »

Penny, so glad you liked Barbara! I saw the first run before she went across the pond to England. She is sublime. I can't gush over her enough. Her finale was hysterical and wonderful at the same time. She is a wonderful human being. My theatre buddies and I saw Mostly Sondheim two years ago and waited like Stage Door Johnnies afterwards and spoke to both Wally Harper and her. There were about 10 people waiting for her, all strangers but fans, and she spoke to each person individually for a few minutes each. She is CLASS. If you're in New York I urge you to see the show. It's not on TDF E-tix right now but I have seen the show posted on TKTS. She's downstairs at the Mitzi Newhouse this time. It's a smaller theatre so the show should be even more wonderful and intimate.

td

• td
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2004, 06:55:05 AM »

We could also call it Martin Mull Lookalike Weekend (try to find a picture of TD and you'll see what I mean).

Why, thank you Ben.

I've always thought it was nice that the awards were named "Tony."

:)

I think that ASSASSINS poster looks like a Q. Tarantino film poster:
RESEVOIR ASSASSINS anyone?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2004, 07:09:25 AM »

Friday Media Alert:

CD - THE BOY FROM OZ (OBC)

laserdisc - THE RITZ

DVD - THE DRESSER

DVR - BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2004, 07:09:40 AM »

I saw Jim doing BARNUM :)

I beg your pardon!!!???  :o

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2004, 07:09:53 AM »

...The Producers on Wednesday (gosh, I LOVE that show!!!) ...

DR PennyO, everytime I meet someone who loves The Producers as much as I do, I think of these lines from Emily Dickinson's "Nobody":

"Then there's a pair of us — don't tell!
They'd banish us, you know."

The Producers made me fall in love with musical theatre again.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2004, 07:11:31 AM »

I also saw Jim (and Glenn Close) doing Barnum. Tell me it wasn't 24 years ago.

Well this is just too much! No secret is safe with you people is it!  ;)

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2004, 07:17:15 AM »

The Producers made me fall in love with musical theatre again.

Add me to the list. It's the only recent show that has me humming its songs for no particular reason. (Right now: "You Never Say Good Luck on Opening Night.")

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2004, 07:23:13 AM »

Here we are - the cast of STATE FAIR at the Putnam County Playhouse in Greencastle, Indiana.   ;D  I am in the back row in the very center!   8)

And every face you see was touched by the Magic Makeup Fingers of yours truly.   :P  I am having nightmares!  But of course THE WIZARD OF OZ was scarier....oh those Munchkins!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2004, 07:24:13 AM »

And you thought no one was watching, DRMBARNUM!!

MBarnum

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2004, 07:35:59 AM »

Hey, how was opening night JRand53!!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2004, 07:47:10 AM »

Aw shucks... (shuffles feet)...thank you for the lovely compliments, Dan-in-TO and SWW!

Media Check:
CD: Richard Harris - A Tramp Shining (a delightful new acquisition)
VCR - Full Court Miracle (homework)
DVD - One of these days I'll replace it (That's a stated intention - not a film)
THE FLOOR - Overflowing with DVDs and tapes for the Emmy Awards. (When I have nothing better to do, I'll count them so you can all collectively gasp.)

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2004, 07:48:54 AM »

The guy who works in the cube behind me is eating  licorice...and he is very noisy..chewing with his mouth open...all I can hear is the smacking of gums...if it doesn't stop soon I am going to commit a crime...

...I seem to be a bit grumpy...maybe I need more coffee! LOL!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2004, 07:55:04 AM »

The media check of me:

CD Player (at home):  Dave Matthews Band -- On These Crowded Streets

CD Player (at work):  Two Gentlemen of Verona OCR .  This show still works for me, but if you listen to this recording enough times, you come to realize how sloppy it is.  Lots of lazy vocals and meandering production.  

DVD Player:  The next-to-final disc of the Lost In Space First Season set.

VCR:  The Willie Nelson concert that was broadcast Monday night.

Last night I watched Tarzan the Ape Man on TCM.  That was a pretty disturbing movie, much more violent than I would have expected and very backwards in its views on society and nature.  On the other hand, it does have Maureen O'Sullivan and Johnny Weissmuller, neither of which are hard on the eyes.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2004, 07:56:55 AM »

JR - Your Magic Make-up Fingers must've been pretty busy!

Penny - Moving home. Sounds like a great plan! That's how I felt (or close enough) when I came back to LA.

MBarnum - Chug that coffee. I don't think Licorice Rage is accepted as a legit motive in most courts. (Florida maybe.)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2004, 08:01:37 AM »

Uh-oh...  I feel a song coming on...

"I don't think that I can take it!
'Cause it took so long to bake it!
And I'll never have that recipe again!
Oh, no!
O-Oh, nooooooooooooo-oooooooooooooooooooo!!!"
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2004, 08:04:27 AM »

Speaking of Tarzan, the BET YOU DIDN'T KNOW THEY WERE HUNGARIAN for today is...[DRUM ROLL]

JOHNNY WEISSMULLER (b. 6/2/1904, Szabadfalu (Freisdorf), Hungary, [awarded to Rumania after WWI], d. 1/20/1984, Acapulco, Mexico.
"Johnny was born Janos Weiszmueller in Szabadfulu (Freetown or in German, Freidorf), near Temesvar [now Timisoara after Rumanian annexation] in the Banat region of Hungary where many "Schwabians" / "Donauschwaben" / "Danube Swabians" or ethnic Germans had settled after the pullout of the Ottoman Turks in the 17th century. His parents were Peter Weiszmueller, a day worker from Varjas, and Erzsebet Kersch, of Szabadfalu (the name for Freidorf at the time). His Godparents were Janos Borstner and Katharina Erbesz. The Weissmuller family arrived in New York on the S.S. Rotterdam on Jan 26, 1905 when Johnny was three. [NOTE FROM PANNI: THIS DOES NOT ADD UP, NOT IF HE WAS BORN IN 1904 - SO ONE OF THE DATES IS WRONG.]

Johnny often claimed he was born in Windber, PA because of Olympic eligibility issues."
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 08:11:01 AM by Panni »

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2004, 08:05:27 AM »

DR Panni, do you get to nominate in all categories or only in the writing categories? I have some suggestions if you have all categories open to you.

Did anyone purchase HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL - the 1st SEASON on DVD? I didn't but thinking back, I really did like that show a lot and wouldn't mind seeing them again.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2004, 08:06:12 AM »

Oh, BTW, I am enjoying your new feature on Hungarian of the day. Very informative!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2004, 08:09:06 AM »

Well this is just too much! No secret is safe with you people is it!  ;)

Yes, I will add my name to the list of those who watched Mr. Dale do Barnum!

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2004, 08:10:56 AM »

The guy who works in the cube behind me is eating  licorice...and he is very noisy..chewing with his mouth open...all I can hear is the smacking of gums...if it doesn't stop soon I am going to commit a crime...

...I seem to be a bit grumpy...maybe I need more coffee!

From a reputable source:

Odors that increase blood flow to the penis: lavender, licorice, pumpkin pie.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2004, 08:12:37 AM »

Yes, I will add my name to the list of those who watched Mr. Dale do Barnum!

I've walked in on the middle of it a number of times, myself.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2004, 08:19:01 AM »

Uh-oh...  I feel a song coming on...

"I don't think that I can take it!
'Cause it took so long to bake it!
And I'll never have that recipe again!
Oh, no!
O-Oh, nooooooooooooo-oooooooooooooooooooo!!!"

I'm at work now, and I just happen to have here, a CD called "Donna Summer: The Dance Collection:  A Compilation of Twelve inch Singles."  This CD includes the 17 minute, 47 second "MacArthur Park Suite!"  I must listen to it now!  Also on it is the 11 minute, 43 second "No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)."  I still love that song!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2004, 08:21:06 AM »

DR Panni, do you get to nominate in all categories or only in the writing categories? I have some suggestions if you have all categories open to you.

Basically, everything that is aired within certain dates in Prime Time can be nominated... I vote in the writing - which in itself is a thick booklet - movies, specials, dramas, sitcoms, children's special, children's weekly, animation, etc., all with their own categories  - and I also vote in some other categories (can't remember for the life of me) - I think it's best movie, drama, sitcom, etc. - but I'm not sure. I didn't volunteer this year to judge who gets into the writing finals - so I just vote on the finalists.
I don't vote for directors, music, costumes, etc. Each Peer Group votes in its own specialty.

Panni

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2004, 08:23:46 AM »

Must shower and get to work. The good thing about a home office is that the only chewing in the vicinity is the wonderdog. And I can always tell him to go lie down and be quiet. Guess you can't do that with Licorice Man.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2004, 08:24:26 AM »

Thanks for the info.

OK, another question for all DRs out there who are fans of the Toho Studios monster releases:

My favorite has always been RODAN. I see that there is a full frame (I guess it was full frame in its original release), English-dubbed release on Sony. Does anyone have it? How is its quality? The dubbing doesn't bother me since that's the way I saw it and loved it as a kid.

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2004, 08:41:57 AM »

Thanks for the info.

OK, another question for all DRs out there who are fans of the Toho Studios monster releases:

My favorite has always been RODAN. I see that there is a full frame (I guess it was full frame in its original release), English-dubbed release on Sony. Does anyone have it? How is its quality? The dubbing doesn't bother me since that's the way I saw it and loved it as a kid.

DR MattH, I have the RODAN dvd but haven't watched it yet. I have heard it isn't an ideal print, but since you can find it for around $5.99 now I don't think you can lose. I will take a gander at it when I get home and report back. I love the film and even if the print is a little scratchy that won't bother me in the least. I have on VHS someplace the original Japanese language version too.

My hope is for someone to release Toho's THE H-MAN on DVD! Now that is a cool movie and has much of the same cast as RODAN!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2004, 09:03:21 AM »

DRMATT I also have the RODAN disk...I bought it along with three GODZILLA features.  If you like the movies, you'll like the disks.  A bit faded, but there is a 5.1 surround mix on some of them, RODAN included, along with new title sequences, and the menus are fun as well.  Live a little, sometimes if you are like me, you want to see them again...and here they are!

Don't think about it, Michael...at least you still have a cubicle!

I am enjoying the Hungarian of the Day feature as well.  I think everyone should have their own "of the day."  Of course I do the Allison Hayes Picture of the Week - so it's all up to you.

STATE FAIR opening night went better than could be expected, audience enjoyed it, and yes DRPANNI my fingers are tired.  Unfortunately there are so many people in the curtain call we don't stand a chance of a standing ovation, they have already been clapping for a LONG time!

DR PANNI do you want me to post your pic again today in case not everyone saw it?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 09:03:36 AM by JRand53 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2004, 09:04:45 AM »

BTW DRGEORGE there is no such thing as a 12 inch single...they may tell you that, but don't believe it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up