Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PUTTING IT TOGETHER  (Read 16274 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:PUTTING IT TOGETHER
« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2004, 05:40:15 PM »

Sandra, nice pictures.  I had a good laugh over the hat ones and one doesn’t get dealt a hand like that very often.

Elmore I know how you feel.  On one of my trips to L.A. without Keith I never did find out how to turn on the lights.  Either they weren’t working or it was me.  Fortunately it was summer and I was able to avoid driving at night.

DearReaderLaura are you getting lonely?

Jennifer I don’t know how bad I feel for her.  I think she will get “easy time”.  I do believe someone decided to go after her simply because of who she is.  I think Jrand makes a very good point.

I consider myself to be a very moral person but wonder what I would do if a friend said to sell.  So Dear Readers what do you think you would do?

Jane

« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2004, 05:55:18 PM »

Page five dance.

This one is for you RLP.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2004, 06:00:22 PM »

Jane - don't forget to email your #. What's the time difference there?

Tomovoz

« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2004, 06:16:13 PM »

I have spend the morning listening to a Washingtonian sing.
Jimmie Rodgers -  Born in Camas 1933.

One of those voices Of which I never tire. I think he was even more successful here than in the USA.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2004, 06:17:59 PM »

Panni next time I’m in L.A. we will go for Indian food.  Afterwards we will have marzipan for dessert.

Pakora’s are best when there is a selection of different vegetables.  I prefer my naan to be plain, and then use it to scoop up an assortment of foods.  I’m sure I love just about every vegetarian dish as long as it isn’t too hot.  Favorites are Sag Paneer, Channa Masala, Chana Dal or Chana anything and Malai Kofta.  I think Palak Paneer is the one with spinach I like.  I mustn’t forget the basmati.  The sauces are so good over it.

I have never been a fan of Greek food until Budapest.  Our last night there we ate at a Greek restaurant along the river.   We ordered an assortment of appetizers and food to share.  Every thing was great, including the stuffed grape leaves I normally find to bitter.

Jane

« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2004, 06:23:16 PM »

Tomovoz, now I’m listening to Jimmy Rogers.  I don’t have any Jimmie Rodgers.

Jane

« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2004, 06:25:30 PM »

Panni, same time zone.  We are only six miles from the California border.  Watch for email in a few minutes.

Tomovoz

« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2004, 06:28:54 PM »

Not even "Honeycomb". Shame. Most pleasant voice. His versions of "The World I Used To Know: and "Someplace Green" by Rod McKuen were big hits here and still played frequently on the radio. His "Just A Closer Walk With Thee" was possibly the biggest selling record in Australia in 1960.
Not sure that I have any Jimmy Rodgers songs - maybe a train song from the 1930's.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2004, 06:30:42 PM »

Maybe we should meet half way Jane - Hawaii - and swap disks!
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2004, 06:37:02 PM »

Well, hello again!  I've calmed my frenzy watching a film version of "A Shayna Maidel," a play I wanted to see but missed in the late 1980s.  The film (tv, Halmark, actually) is entitled "Miss Rose White," with an amazing cast of people I admire, such as Maureen Stapelton, Maximilian Schell and Penny Fuller, and know:  Amanda Plummer is an old friend from Drama Book Shop days and I adore her.  The music is by another friend, Billy Goldenberg, who wrote the score for BALLROOM based on a tv film starring Maureen Stapelton, and Rose White is played by Mrs Kevin Bacon.  This movie has "Six Degrees" written all over it.  And it was written by our own DRPanni.  Curse you, DRPanni, I burst into tears three times at the plot twists and turns!  Three times!  It might become a viewing favorite.  I liked it very much.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2004, 06:46:26 PM »

I have just shown Colin the Leonard Maltin review of "Miss Rose White". Doubt if it has had a showing here in Oz.  Colin's stepmother (a delightful lady) is Rose White.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2004, 06:46:59 PM »

I am not a big fan of Indian Food, but I will eat a chicken dish. I love Greek food and don't get enough of it in South Florida. Montreal has great Greek restaurants maybe I'll go to one when I am there this weekend.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2004, 06:47:23 PM »

Bruce can I put the pictures up on www.brucekimmel.com?
Never stop dreaming.

Robin

« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2004, 07:01:40 PM »

I spent most of the day on the couch, like so much fish, watching deeveedees I've been meaning to watch, but hadn't gotten around to watching.  

First off was Frankenstein Must be Destroyed!, Hammer's second-to-last outing with Peter Cushing as the title Doctor who needs destroying.  Boy, did he ever need to be destroyed...I love Cushing as the mad doctor, though.  He's evil through and through, but charming and disarming when the plot calls for it.  I don't think I've ever seen this movie before, but I know I enjoyed it quite a bit this time around.

Second off was Godzilla 2000, which I saw theatrically.  I bought the deeveedee the day it came out, and I hadn't even taken the shrinkwrapping off of it 'til today.  I liked it a lot, even if the monster the Big G fights spends a good deal of the movie looking for all the world like a giant flying bedpan.  

The last movie I watched was Carnival Story, a sleazy movie from the fifties starring Anne Baxter, George Nader, and some poor shmoe who looked uncomfortably like Tor Johnson.  Anne plays a hardened woman who joins a carnival in Germany, and learns to be a high-diver.  But she's sort of an airhead, who gets mixed up with the wrong guy, and she makes an awful lot of just plain boneheaded decisions.  There's some really great shots of the point of view from the 110-foot diving platform at night, and it's photographed surprisingly well, I thought.  I also found myself totally engrossed in this movie, even though it's not very good.  The deeveedee's color isn't very good, and the sound is distorted, but it's still well within the realm of watchability.  (And, my oh my!  George Nader and Anne Baxter were both quite gorgeous!)
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jane

« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2004, 07:02:25 PM »

Maybe we should meet half way Jane - Hawaii - and swap disks!

Sounds like fun.  :D

I have “Honeycomb”, one of my favorite Jimmy Rogers songs.  Other favorites are “Kisses Sweeter than Wine” and “OH, Oh, I’m Falling in Love Again”

Now there is Jimmie Rodgers http://www.jimmierodgers.com/ , And then there is this Jimmy Rogers http://www.island.net/~blues/jrog.htm (wrong color).  But I can’t find info on my Jimmy Rogers and I must do the dishes.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #135 on: July 20, 2004, 07:11:36 PM »

We just finished up the talent show. That was really something. The grand finale was when great uncle Arthur played his harmonica and great aunt Leona played the piano. You haven't lived until you've heard my great uncle Arthur play "Sweet Hour of Prayer" on his harmonica.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Tomovoz

« Reply #136 on: July 20, 2004, 07:11:43 PM »

I'll stick with Jimmie Rodgers. (James Frederick Rodgers) Do you know his song "Secretly"? - very similar to "Silhouettes".  "Bimbombay" was also a #1 hit here.
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #137 on: July 20, 2004, 07:33:20 PM »

Bk, love the photos.  Now I must hurry & get my tix.  Please find out from Tammy if there is any other way I can secure tickets without  putting my credit card out into the ethers of a phone line or an internet line?

Were your ears burning today?  My exec at NBC was talking about these great CD series, Lost In Boston & Unsung...I said, "Oh, yeah, my friend Bruce Kimmel produced them..."  We're talking about 110. He's yet to see it...but  he was waxing euphoric about all the great Schmidt & Jones stuff you had recorded.

By the by, I spoke too soon.  My computer is still screwing up.  I'm still on a modem.  Can a lot of building work in the neighbourhood screw up phone reception?  We awake to the cacophony of power tools every morning and they go on for the greater part of the day.  I sometimes think it's just the heat causing interference.  Anyway, it's still a pain-in-the-ass!

Jane

« Reply #138 on: July 20, 2004, 07:36:23 PM »

I'll stick with Jimmie Rodgers. (James Frederick Rodgers) Do you know his song "Secretly"? - very similar to "Silhouettes".  "Bimbombay" was also a #1 hit here.

“Secretly”, another Jimmy Rogers 50’s hit. :)

Jane

« Reply #139 on: July 20, 2004, 07:38:35 PM »

Tomovoz, read this:  http://www.tsimon.com/rodgers.htm

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #140 on: July 20, 2004, 07:40:26 PM »

I just saw The Notebook.  It offers a couple of plot points that really require stretching one's suspension of disbelief and a couple of "surprises" you could see coming miles away.

Did that stop me--and the rest of the audience--from weeping through the whole damned movie?  Of course not.  Ryan Gosling and James Garner and Gena Rowlands are all quite splendid.

See it.  And bring hankies.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jane

« Reply #141 on: July 20, 2004, 07:42:59 PM »

I don't think you looked at the other links I sent. :o

Tomovoz

« Reply #142 on: July 20, 2004, 07:52:56 PM »

Thanks Jane. Didn't know the Jimmy just the Jimmies.

The confusion used to make searching Amazon etc difficult. I think they use the "young" Jimmy's middle name now.
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #143 on: July 20, 2004, 07:54:14 PM »

DR Sandra, I am glad to know that Uncle Arthur is still playing the harmonica. Uncle Arthur is about 95 years old, and it's a joy to know he's still playing.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jane

« Reply #144 on: July 20, 2004, 07:54:47 PM »

I have made it so much fun for Echo to get pills thrown down her throat she looks forward to it-no kidding.  Am I good or what? :)

Jane

« Reply #145 on: July 20, 2004, 07:56:32 PM »

So Tomovoz, do you know who the country western singer is? ;D

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #146 on: July 20, 2004, 08:10:09 PM »

Jane - Okay, we've got an LA date for Indian food.

Larry - Glad you liked ROSE. It's VERY different from the play. In fact the playwright said she loved it -- but it wasn't her play. Which I took as a compliment. The play was very much a stage piece. I was doing a movie.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2004, 08:16:32 PM »

Don't talk to me about remote controls. I have six inside the caddy next to my recliner.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2004, 08:20:11 PM »

I have an LP here with Dick Smothers singing "The World I Used to Know," and it's an exquisite song beautifully sung. Many people forget that Dick had a lovely solo voice.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #149 on: July 20, 2004, 08:20:16 PM »

In answer to your question, Jane, yes, I do miss the family. My allergies are very very bad when I go to the midwest, so I stayed behind this time.  I've been very busy in their absence.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up