Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FRIED FOODS  (Read 25255 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FRIED FOODS
« on: August 04, 2004, 11:59:43 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've fried the notes, the notes have fried you, and now it is time to post until the fried cows come home.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 12:00:46 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:FRIED FOODS
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 12:06:01 AM »

Welcome fifteen GUESTS (!).  We're talkin' about fried foods.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 12:13:27 AM »

Fried cows? Ewwww.

I can't discuss fried foods at midnight.  Discussing fried foods at midnight will make me vomit on the floor.
Tomorrow I will talk about wiener schnitzel. But not tonight.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 12:13:39 AM »

I love fried biscuits! Oh so good! Especially with some homemade apple butter. I also enjoy Fried mozarella sticks very much.

This isn't fried but I thought I'd share. Today for lunch I made a Grilled Pizza sandwich. I made it just like grilled cheese except I put tomato sauce, mozarella, and pepperoni in it. It turned out to be very good and is something I will have to try again sometime soon. It probably isn't a new idea but it certainly was delicious.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 12:15:57 AM »

Fried foods, for me, come in two varieties.  There's deep fried, and then there's pan fried.

Deep fried isn't as nasty as some people make it out to be.  The key is that the oil has to be sufficiently hot, at about 375 degrees, so that the outside of the food being fried gets nice and crispy, while the steam escaping from the food keeps the oil out of the food itself.

That's why french fries are so tasty.  They shouldn't be oily at all, but crisp on the outside, and tender on the inside.  The same is true with fried chicken (and I agree, Popeye's is great, but somehow it tasted better on the left coast than on the right, I don't know why...yet).

Let's try a couple of other fried foods, things people may not think of.  I love a good Fondue Bourguignonne, tender pieces of beef and shrimp fried by der Brucer and myself at the table in our electric Fondue pot.  (I'm really keen on the electric pot, because it has a good temperature control, and the cord is held to the pot magnetically, preventing any disasters if something should pull on the cord).  A neat variation on this is Tempura, great with shrimp and all sorts of veggies.

And, another deep fried food that some people forget is fried, is Sweet and Sour Pork.  Or Chicken.  Or Shrimp.  Yep, the meat is coated in a batter, deep fried, and then sauced with that Sweet and Sour stuff.  Yummers.

Pan frying is another beastie altogether.  I love a nice pan-fried pork cutlet.  All it takes is a little oil in the pan, maybe with some garlic for flavor, and add the meat.  I love a good stir-fry, too, but have to confess that I don't do it often enough.

I'm hoping someone out there has some fried desserts they want to talk about.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 12:17:10 AM »

I love me my fried foods.  And Joey's grilled pizza is something I'm simply going to HAVE to try.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 12:20:38 AM »

The thunder is rolling here in Rehoboth, has been for the last ten minutes or so, and a downpour has just begun.

Maybe the weather will be better tomorrow, or not.  Der Brucer and I will be spending most of the day with the grandlads, hopefully teaching the older to play chess and the younger to play checkers.  And we'll be playing music, too.  I'm taking along a recording of The Carnival of the Animals, and one of The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra.  (I don't think they're yet ready for the score for The First Nudie Musical, and their mother wouldn't understand if we did play it.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

M. Brandon

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 01:43:05 AM »

Well, I try to avoid the fried foods now, but french fries have always been and will always be my favorite snack.  I really love all sorts of fries, and Í'm a salt man.  NO KETCHUP!  And fries can go with anything!  Pizza, sandwiches, scrambled eggs!  And they go well with the second all time best fried food of all time: cheese sticks.

Good Cheese Sticks + Curly Fries = happy, if somewhat bloated Brandon.

Before I turned vegi, Popeye's was my favorite fast food place.

But by just cutting down on fried foods, I've lost 20 pounds!  I gave up High Fructose Corn Syrup completely-no-exceptions and lost 10 more.

And now I crave fries!  Damn you Bruce and your suggestive ways!
Who do you save when your house is on fire?
Don't bring the guy who lit the match!

M. Brandon

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 01:48:14 AM »

and now i go to bed.  so goodnight from hollywood of the west.  i must be up early tomorrow (well, around noon, which is early to me) and i must be at the theatre at 1330 hours to prepare the sound cues of life.

-B$
Who do you save when your house is on fire?
Don't bring the guy who lit the match!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 03:43:14 AM »

Ah, yes, sleeping in until noon, Pacific Daylight Time.  That's three, EDT.  You'll be lucky to see any of the sunlight at all!

I'm up already, and we're about to head out and be E&T.  Have fun, all!

(Added to the tunestack: Callaway's And the Beat Goes On.  Always start 'em with the classics, I say!   :D 8))

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2004, 03:46:49 AM »

Loved the rehearsal picture.  Four people are looking in one direction and one person is looking the other way!

I crispy French Fries with salt....no ketchup here either....maybe a bit of Brooks, but not much!

I love fried bacon sandwiches with tomatoes and Kraft slices.

At times we had fried corn...it does taste different, but it is a nice side dish.  Sliced fried potatoes, of course.  

Fried hot dog!  And of course the famous fried Spam!

I will try to get onto my Apple computer at work again.  We shall see!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2004, 04:10:28 AM »

fried foods
latkas
calamari
weimer schnitzel
chicken

and mcdonald's fries are sprayed with sugar solution and then deep fried so that's why they are the way they are
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2004, 04:19:30 AM »

I do love good French Fries. I also love Corn Dogs! I will have at least one in August when we go to the Minnesota State Fair (The Great Minnesota Get Together). Nothin' like a Corn Dog while you're wandering around Machinery Hill. Also fried cheese curds (not). Fried Calamari with a good dipping sauce - umm, umm, umm (that's 3 umms)

Ben

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2004, 04:19:54 AM »

Hi, Michael and D-I-T

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2004, 04:27:16 AM »

and mcdonald's fries are sprayed with sugar solution ...

... and beef extract (which is listed as "natural flavor").

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2004, 04:30:59 AM »

Latkes, battered perch, and fried chicken are my favorites; followed by french fries (lots of pepper and ketchup - no vinegar) and onion rings. But I'm fussy about the oil that's used. Purists say the best fish and chips are fried in beef tallow, but I can't handle that.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2004, 04:32:30 AM »

Hi Ben. I've never tried a corn dog. In fact, I haven't a clue what it is.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2004, 04:35:13 AM »

Add tempura to the list, but not fried green tomatoes. And when I fry the breaded eggplant for eggplant parmesan, I always eat several pieces before I add them to the casserole.

Ben

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2004, 04:51:29 AM »

Michael's question from yesterday

My Votes are in bold

The Sound of Music and Fiorello or Gypsy (no question here)

Two Gentlemen of Verona or Follies (this one is a no brainer - I can't sit through a playing of Two Gentlemen, never saw a production, it's all based on the recording but yuchhhhh! Although my vote would be Follies up against most any other show, I believe)

Man of La Mancha or Sweet Charity or Mame (hmmm, 3 shows that I like but none of them are GREAT shows in the style of Follies or Kiss Me Kate or Little Night Music or Music Man, etc.)

1776 or Promises Promises (1776 is one of my all-time favorite shows. I really enjoy PP and always wanted to play the role but stacked against 1776, it's easy for me)

A Chorus Line or Chicago (I know I've committed heresy here but I don't consider ACL to be the greatest musical ever written. Perhaps if I had seen it at the Public or even early in the Broadway run I would feel differently but by the time I saw it - almost two years after it opened in a bus and truck dragging it's behind through Minneapolis - I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. There are elements of the show which I find brilliant and beautiful, but for me the show as a whole is not the earth shattering experience I've heard it to be)

Ain't Misbehavin or On the 20th Century (I love AM but I think 20th Century is the better show

Nine or Dreamgirls (Again, I risk the wrath of the Theatre Gods. I never got Dreamgirls - I called it Screamgirls)

Cats or Merlin (you dog, making me choose between these two shows. I never saw Merlin so I'm flummoxed)

La Cage Aux Folles or Sunday in the Park With George (I love La Cage, saw it more than once but Sunday touches me in ways that La Cage never did)

City of Angels or Grand Hotel (another no question. COA is one of my favorite 90s musicals)

Crazy For You or Falsettos (I have friends who expressed annoyance at the "easy manipulation of AIDS" as a plot device in the second act Falsettoland but the beauty and passion of the second act make it moot for me)

Passion or Beauty and the Beast (I loved the film version of BATB and when I heard the overture I thought immediately of old-fashioned Broadway musicals but when it's put up against Passion, I choose the drama)

The Lion King or Ragtime (I find Ragtime beautiful, intelligent and moving. There are some wonderful pictures on stage in Lion King and the manipulation of the puppets as people/animals is inventive but again, perhaps because I saw it so long after the opening, I'm not transported the way I am by Ragtime.

Fosse or Parade (Another one of those hard choices. Both shows have admirable qualities but I guess I usually fall on the side of a story)

Ben

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2004, 04:54:22 AM »

I don't know if Corn Dogs are mostly Midwestern. They are hot dogs on sticks dipped in a corn batter and then deep fried. Sometimes you get more batter than dog and you can't eat it right out of the deep fry or you'll burn your tongue off but they are a taste treat (for me anyway) at least once every 20 years (probably the last time I had a corn dog and the last time I was at the Minnesota State Fair).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2004, 05:39:35 AM »

Loved the rehearsal picture.  Four people are looking in one direction and one person is looking the other way!

Last night Panni asked if they were singing "Happy Days Are Here Again".  To me it looks like "Happiness" from Your A Good Man, Charlie Brown.

I love fried foods, but aside from enjoying a side of french fries once a week or so, I tend to avoid them.  But I do love things like Fried flounder, fried chicken, deep fried turkey and duck, fried shrimp, corndogs, onion rings, hash browns, tater tots, mozzerella sticks, cheese poppers and zuchini sticks.

And then there are the dessert items:  donuts, corn and apple fritters, deep fried bananas and funnel cake.

What I have yet to try:  deep fried ice cream, cheesecake, Oreos, Milky Way bars, and White Castle hamburgers.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2004, 06:03:41 AM »

I love fried chicken, fried okra. fried green tomatoes and pan fried cornbread.

I adore fried mozzarella...but the only truly great fried mozzarella I've had was in Naples, Italy.  There, the mozzarella is made fom buffalo milk.  It has a texture unlike any I've found in the U.S. and it's perfection.  It fries up crisp on the outside while the cheese becomes  gooey on the inside.  That and some salsa makes for a delectable, heavenly treat.

Oh, yeah:  Pan fried pork chops can be to die for!

DR Panni:  Please try not to vomit.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 07:39:06 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2004, 06:20:58 AM »

I also loves me my fried foods.

Latkes
Corn Dogs
Chicken Fried Steak
Onion Rings
Apple Fritters
Donuts (or Doughnuts, whichever you prefer)
Have I mentioned Corn Dogs?  :-)
Tempura
Spring Rolls
Fried Chicken Dumplings/Potstickers
Corn Dogs
I imagine that French Toast qualifies, under the "pan-fried" category.
Fried Mozzarella Sticks
A good Friday Fish Fry (Does this make it obvious that a nice Jewish boy from Brooklyn now resides in Western NY?)

French Fries?  Take 'em or leave 'em, but when I take 'em, it's without ketchup.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2004, 06:22:26 AM »

I like Tempura which mixes fried shrimp and several fried vegies.

The wonders of the internet:
Several months ago a lesser known actor's name was mentioned on this here site.  I had worked with this actor about 30 years ago and was friendly with him at the time so I posted this.  Yesterday I got an e-mail from him saying he came across my post (he probably googled himself) and we are renewing our friendship.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2004, 06:23:32 AM »

A good Friday Fish Fry (Does this make it obvious that a nice Jewish boy from Brooklyn now resides in Western NY?)

Just to clarify, I don't mean a Fish Fry that is eaten on Good Friday.  I just mean a good Fish Fry that is eaten on any ol' Friday.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2004, 07:09:12 AM »

Thank you, DR MBarnum, for the info about the death of actress Virginia Grey. She was under contract to MGM for awhile in the late 1930s-early 1940s, and she made a memorable appearance in the third THIN MAN feature, ANOTHER THIN MAN, as one of the murder suspects.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2004, 07:10:08 AM »

anything that is fried is good in my book, although I rarely have it anymore! But my faves are:

Corn Dogs
Chicken Gizzard
Chicken
Calimari
Sliced Potatoes
Fries (with ketchup)

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2004, 07:42:08 AM »

On the subject of fried foods, I have three words:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]LONG JOHN SILVER'S[/move][/color]

and mcdonald's fries are sprayed with sugar solution and then deep fried so that's why they are the way they are
Burger King, not McDonald's.  McDonald's fries are only one of seven items on their menu that don't contain sugar.  The other six are Water, Diet Coke, Tea, Coffee, sausage, and....I forget the other one.  Maybe the hamburger patty.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2004, 07:42:47 AM »

Evidently my super-sizing of the text didn't work.  How ironic.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2004, 07:43:19 AM »

I love fried chicken, fried okra. fried green tomatoes and pan fried cornbread.

I adore fried mozzarella...but the only truly great fried mozzarella I've had was in Naples, Italy.  There, the mozzarella is made fom buffalo milk.  It has a texture unlike any I've found in the U.S. and it's perfection.  

Funny, but just last week I purchased for the first time Italian buffalo milk mozzarella. I didn't fry it - just added it to a salad. You're right, it is perfection (probably because it's 52% butterfat).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up