Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE KEMPT ME  (Read 23239 times)

François de Paris

Re:THE KEMPT ME
« Reply #210 on: August 06, 2004, 08:53:00 PM »

I actually think the best GYPSY overture is the one on the soundtrack for the 1962 film. The trumpet riffs on that have never been equalled, I don't think. The orchestra also sounds huge.

I might agree with you Matt but I've not heard that soundtrack yet! ::)

François de Paris

« Reply #211 on: August 06, 2004, 08:53:57 PM »

Oh!

And one for Mahler's wife who was a pretty decent composer herself!

François de Paris

« Reply #212 on: August 06, 2004, 09:07:59 PM »

Just went out for a walk on the internet and this is what I saw:

A Musical Adaptation of Mark Twain's TOM SAWYER
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Featuring Original Songs by Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman
Music Arranged and Conducted by John Williams
Featuring songs performed by
Charley Pride, Roberta Flack, Celeste Holm and Johnny Whitaker
FIRST TIME ON CD!
“Warm, Bright, Tuneful, Cheerful Family Entertainment!” – Los Angeles Times
Take an adventurous trip down the Mississippi River — and into your own imagination — with this heartwarming musical rendition of an American classic.
As Tom and Becky, Johnny Whitaker (Jody of TV’s Family Affair) and a young Jodie Foster (in one of her earliest screen appearances) lead the way through a wildly inventive series of tall tales and narrow escapes. Tom’s long-suffering Aunt Polly (Celeste Holm) does her best to raise her unruly nephew, all the while enduring one prank after another. But when Tom is witness to a ghastly crime, he is thrust into a new kind of adventure — one that places him in a great deal of danger and forces him to leave his fishing poles and carefree days far behind.
Nominated for four Academy Awards, (including one for the score!) and featuring the memorable characters of Muff Potter and the mischievous Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer is “a wholesome treat... a family movie made as well as a family movie can be made” (Rex Reed, New York Daily News).
Chock-full of endearing songs by legendary writing team (and brothers) Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman, Tom Sawyer brims with enthusiasm and heart! To elevate the songs to a truly symphonic level, composer John Williams was sought out to follow up the musical arrangements he supplied for the classic film version of Fiddler on the Roof. Williams won an Oscar for Fiddler and again exhibited his expertise here.
As a special bonus, this first-ever CD release of Tom Sawyer is accompanied by a second premiere! The 1974 sequel to Tom Sawyer was, of course, Huckleberry Finn and starred Jeff East, reprising his role from the previous film. The film also starred Paul Winfield (as Jim) and Harvey Korman. The brothers Sherman also returned to supply all new songs for Huck Finn’s river adventure. The entire soundtrack album to Huckleberry Finn — featuring Freedom performed by Roberta Flack — is also included on this CD, making this truly a must-have for fans of film musicals and the Sherman Brothers.
Catalog #: 302 066 601 2
Release Date: 08/24/04

François de Paris

« Reply #213 on: August 06, 2004, 09:10:33 PM »

Si triste d'être tout seul dans ce monde!

François de Paris

« Reply #214 on: August 06, 2004, 09:11:59 PM »

If you need me.... I'm in the hotel pantry, fixing some items for the guests' breakfast!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #215 on: August 06, 2004, 09:20:26 PM »

So tired that my eyes don't focus.  I thought, for a moment, that I'd read of an album called Elaine Stritch sings Queen
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #216 on: August 06, 2004, 09:35:30 PM »

Matt--- THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT is much funnier as a play... and not because of performances.  There was too much re-writing for the screenplay with the highlight of the play --- a comic suicide atempt --- missing.  Read the play.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #217 on: August 06, 2004, 09:35:49 PM »

OK, Panni.  You got the waterworks into working order with the passby of the USS Arizona.  That was just practice for the flag scene gushers.  They worked at full force then, and all the way through the touching farewells.

Lovely film, lovely sentiments, lovely messages.  You should feel proud!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #218 on: August 06, 2004, 09:43:12 PM »

Thank you Danise, Jay, SWW, Elmore and anyone else who may have watched TC. Glad you enjoyed it. This site alone should push the ratings through the roof.
The film will be repeated on Sat. night for anyone who missed it and would like to see it.

Panni

« Reply #219 on: August 06, 2004, 09:45:14 PM »

Jay - I got the take-out version of the Daily Grill Vegetable Plate for dinner. Delish and HUGE. I think I have enough food for a week (including the half loaf of bread they gave me with it.)

Jay

« Reply #220 on: August 06, 2004, 09:50:40 PM »

Jay - I got the take-out version of the Daily Grill Vegetable Plate for dinner. Delish and HUGE. I think I have enough food for a week (including the half loaf of bread they gave me with it.)

In his best Humphrey Bogart voice:  Shtick with me, kid.  I would never steer you wrong.

Jay

« Reply #221 on: August 06, 2004, 10:12:52 PM »

I am checking out now, Dear Readers, and will be gonzo most of the weekend.  I am heading north to the Santa Barbara and Ventura vicinity for the weekend.  Tomorrow afternoon, I shall be touring Ganna Walska Lotusland in Montecito (near Santa Barbara), which is a set of gardens reported to be quite spectacular.  I can attest to the fact that it ain't easy getting in, but at last I was successful in getting a tour reservation.

In the evening I shall be in Ventura for a performance of Side by Side by Sondheim with Miss Teri Ralston, Miss Tami Tappan Damiano and Mr. Davis Gaines.

And then on Sunday, I will be back in Santa Barbara at the historic Lobero Theatre for a performance that is part of the Academy of the West summer music festival.  The program is the rarely performed comic opera The Italian Straw Hat, by none other than Mr. Nino Rota.

Needless to say, I shall check in upon my return.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 10:14:38 PM by Jay »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #222 on: August 06, 2004, 10:32:04 PM »

Oy!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #223 on: August 06, 2004, 10:54:37 PM »

Si triste d'être tout seul dans ce monde!
Mais oui!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #224 on: August 06, 2004, 11:06:30 PM »

Forgot to say -- Welcome back, Jason!

Me tired. I'm going to lie down and read a mindless magazine. Back later, perhaps.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #225 on: August 06, 2004, 11:30:33 PM »

I'm back and just ate a sandwich (what else is new).  Man, am I bushed.  I have to write the notes then post then get to bed for she of the Evil Eye will be here in the morning.  Sunday off, though, so I'll be able to relax for the first time in a week.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #226 on: August 06, 2004, 11:53:28 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm back from rehearsal too!  Which also means I've just had another "Ice Blended" from The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.  There's one right down the street on the corner, so...  Probably not the best thing to have before heading to bed, but...  And, frankly, as I was "warned" - by Tammy, in fact - they really are on the sweet side - but sometimes sweet is a good thing.  (If the Starbucks was closer, I'd most likely get a Frappacino instead.)  Tonight's flavor/variety of choice was the "eXtreme Caramba" - which supposedly had/has Mexican chocolate in it - which just means there's cinnamon in it.  It was good - as was the Oatmeal Caramel bar I got to go with it. ;)

Rehearsal was good tonight, but it will be nice to get some final and fine detail work in tomorrow before we take the day off(!) on Sunday.  A bunch of the musical "problems" that have been on my list have more or less worked themselves out as the cast has gotten comfortable with the choreography, but there are a few spots I just want to dot the i's and cross the t's on.

*And I found a way to rig a small booklight so that I actually have some more light on the piano keys.  It was a bit disconcerting the past few nights looking down at my hands and not seeing anything there.  Once the lights were in place, the shadow from the piano itself was basically blacking out the keyboard.  But, I'm pretty sure I solved that problem, and now I don't have to worry about "light blindness" between numbers.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #227 on: August 06, 2004, 11:55:39 PM »

DR Panni - I have the TiVo here set to record "Tiger Cruise" tomorrow night.  Hopefully, I'll be able to watch it sooner rather than later - but I probably won't get to it until after we open.

But so far, the reviews have been very "encouraging" - I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #228 on: August 06, 2004, 11:57:50 PM »

Oh, and DR François - You Alma Mahler post reminded me of the Alma Mahler "event" thingy about to open here in L.A. - which another DR had mentioned some days ago.  I saw some ads for it this week in some of the local papers.  Looks very interesting.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up