Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE KEMPT ME  (Read 23238 times)

Dan-in-Toronto

Re:THE KEMPT ME
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2004, 06:36:55 AM »

Forgot to mention this earlier.

I, being the suave, sophisticated fool that I am said "Oh, wow, you're sitting on my stoop! How wonderful. I love your work."

Well, you could have said, "Oh, wow, is that really you? Jason from HHW?"

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2004, 06:50:56 AM »

Speaking of Tonya Pinkins, I noticed the other day that HBO is one of the producers of Caroline, or Change.  Since just about everything else they've been a part of has showed up on HBO, I wonder if Caroline has been taped for broadcast.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2004, 06:56:38 AM »

Happy birthday DR td!

Wow, DR Ben, that was a fun find on your stoop.

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2004, 06:59:05 AM »

Ha, DR DIT, I liked your Jason comment.  But I bet if DR Ben had said that Tonya might have thought he was crazy. :)

Btw, DR Jane I sent you an email.  Disney is a US channel.  And no US only channels on Canadian satellite.

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2004, 07:01:24 AM »

Re: BB5

As I mentioned, I really liked last night's show.  I cannot remember looking forward to any BB episodes as much as I was looking forward to that one.

But OMG the guests are dumb.  After being told that there was a twin, everyone shouted, "I knew it".  Yet they were all guessing "holly" even after Julie Chen told them that the twins had reached their goal of staying in the house for 5 weeks. Not too bright.

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2004, 07:03:11 AM »

Oh I meant to say that I read the Tiger Cruise review that was posted last night.  And I was gonna comment that while reading it I realized I hadn't known what DR Panni's last name was.

Btw, does anybody call you Panni?

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2004, 07:09:07 AM »

Re: BIG BROTHER again

I think we will have interesting nominations this week.

I think we will get 2 Girl Power members nominated, maybe Diane and Will.  Then they will pick (adria, nat, and karen) to do the veto comp.  Since all 6 veto players will be Girl Power, they will win the veto and put up Jase and evict him.  It's an interesting idea, as long as they can count on all their players.

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2004, 07:13:53 AM »

NY Post: Michael Riedel

Dracula: nudity by night and fully clothed for matinees.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08062004/entertainment/26349.htm

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2004, 07:19:19 AM »

Re: BIG BROTHER again

I think we will have interesting nominations this week.

I think we will get 2 Girl Power members nominated, maybe Diane and Will.  Then they will pick (adria, nat, and karen) to do the veto comp.  Since all 6 veto players will be Girl Power, they will win the veto and put up Jase and evict him.  It's an interesting idea, as long as they can count on all their players.

Ha, ha! That would be a good move! And it might knock Jase for a loop!

I also really enjoyed last nights episode...but I did end up feeling a bit sorry for Scott...maybe I will just miss looking at those massive arms of his! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2004, 07:22:55 AM »

Media check:

DVD: Two early 1960s abortion related exploitation films THE SHAME OF PATTY SMITH (starring Ms. Merry Anders) and YOU RUINED ME EDDIE which I must watch just because the title cracks me up!

VCR: GIRLS ON THE LOOSE (still haven't gotten around to watching it)

CD: A CD of Egyptian pop music...can recall the name of the singer but he has a very nice voice.

The Bollywood movies for the weekend will be forthcoming...and a couple of good ones they look to be!

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2004, 07:30:01 AM »

Ha, ha! That would be a good move! And it might knock Jase for a loop!

I also really enjoyed last nights episode...but I did end up feeling a bit sorry for Scott...maybe I will just miss looking at those massive arms of his! LOL!

Well I didn't come up with the idea.  Jen (from the show) has been talking about it for a while.  

Funny, I never liked Scott and couldn't wait to see him go.  Although I also really dislike Marv, Cowboy and Jase.

My favorites are actually Adria and Natalie.  Although I wonder if they will be targetted soon.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2004, 07:30:18 AM »

Good morning, all!  I've booked an appointment (finally!) with a surgeon on Monday to have this abscess/growth/whatever looked at/lanced/removed/whatever.  The recommended surgeon, it turns out, no longer handles HIP Continuum referrals, so I had to wait until my insurance company's special services could find another.  This week's been uncomfortable and irritable, but I feel better knowing that things are turning the other way.  This growth is so uncomfortable that I'm pretty much tied up in the apartment till Monday, but I do hope to get out and meet td and Michael before they go back to other environs on Sunday.

I see that DR Noel has brought up operetta in yesterday's discussions and I missed it, so I thought I'd continue it today.  I have to say that the Bordman books are disastrous in my opinions and I really have no great affection for the man or his tomes.  

Operetta is indeed a diminutive of opera, and one of the best is indeed set in New York:  DEAREST ENEMY (1925) of Rodgers and Hart, in my opinion the closest to a Gilbert and Sullivan work (which, by the way, G&S called operas) created by an American set of writers.  But I digress.  Operetta, all the way back to its ballad opera roots in THE BEGGAR'S OPERA, had its satiric side, but like musical theatre overall, it developed sundry appellations to reflect its intent:  opera-bouffe,  opera-comique, operette (this just in France alone!).  I pulled out some CDs to see how things were credited:

CHARLES LECOCQ:  LE COEUR ET LA MAIN (opera-comique)
                           GIROFLE GIROFLA (opera bouffe)
                           LE BARBIER DE TROUVILLE (bluette-bouffe)

JACQUES OFFENBACH:  ORPHEE AUX ENFERS (opera bouffon)
                                MONSIEUR ET MADAME DENIS (operette)
                                LA BELLE HELENE (opera bouffe)
                                LES BERGERS (opera-comique)
                                L'ISLE DE TULIPITAN (bouffonnerie)
                                LA VIE PARISIENNE (piece melee de chant)
                                LE VOYAGE DANS LA LUNE (opera-feerie)
                                LE ROI CAROTTE (opera bouffe-feerie)
                                BA-TA-CLAN (Chinoiserie musicale)

ANDRE MESSAGER:    L'AMOUR MASQUE (comedie musicale)
                             MONSIEUR BEAUCAIRE (operette romantique)
                             VERONIQUE (opera-comique)

In France alone, by 1925, operetta had a lot of the musical theatre territory covered.  Offenbach, considered the father of operetta, like Victor Herbert in America, covered all bases (Offenbach authored several revues), but Herbert wrote several film scores as well.  LA VIE PARISIENNE, in spite of the fact it's a very musical piece still seems to me a musical comedy with a farcical spirit in its book closer to the Kern-Wodehouse-Bolton musicals, especially OH BOY! and OH, LADY! LADY!

American operetta certainly runs a gamut as well, from the North African DESERT SONG to the coast of Maine in CAROUSEL.  I find both Hammerstein and Alan Jay Lerner happier in operetta language, so I'd consider BRIGADOON, MY FAIR LADY, CAMELOT, SOUTH PACIFIC, THE KING AND I, and THE SOUND OF MUSIC all in the operetta corner.  OKLAHOMA! (and all these decisions are based totally on how the piece strikes my ear and not on a lot of facts that Gerald Bordman cannot apply consistently) strikes me as a musical comedy, even with Judd's death, and I find its score as sparkling and fresh today as it was 60 years ago.

This column's long enough.  I have to start examining operettas of the past 50 years!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2004, 07:34:34 AM »

My favorites are actually Adria and Natalie.  Although I wonder if they will be targetted soon.

I think my favorite this season is Karen.

DR MBarnum, I too will miss Scott's arms, but Jase's arms and torso will have to do for now.  (Not to mention the toreadorable Drew!)

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2004, 07:42:10 AM »

I think Drew is MUCH cuter than Jase or Scott!

Hey DR Elmore, I am confused.  I thought your back was hurting because of lifting the tv?  I thought the surgery was for that.

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2004, 07:44:44 AM »

Btw, DRs Stuart and MBarnum, did you find that Scott came across as very dumb when talking to Julie Chen?

My favorite part is when the evicted houseguest got to see Adria and Natalie. Love that.

But when Scott heard Jase's message, Scott was like, "so does that mean he voted me off?"

Um, okay maybe he was nervous (being on live tv and all).  But I think it was pretty clear that Jase was saying that Scott had himself to blame (because SCOTT VOTED OUT HOLLY & SHE WOULD HAVE BEEN THE DECIDING VOTE TO SAVE HIM).

Oy. :)

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2004, 07:46:19 AM »

I agree Stuart, I really like Karen too...there is something about her....I like her unusual voice and accent and she is quite pretty too.

And Drew is just too cute and too nice...I wouldn't mind if he won.

DR Jennifer, I actually like Cowboy. He is a nice guy and I get a kick out of him. I hope that afterwards he and Nicomas get more of an opportunity to know each other.

I really have no feelings about Marvin one way or another and I dislike Jase...in fact he scares me a little.

I hope they update us on last years competitors and you know I sure would love to see a reunion of the very first season's people...that season seems to be the only one NOT available on DVD and it really was my favorite group of people.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2004, 07:47:53 AM »

Btw, DRs Stuart and MBarnum, did you find that Scott came across as very dumb when talking to Julie Chen?

Um, okay maybe he was nervous (being on live tv and all).  But I think it was pretty clear that Jase was saying that Scott had himself to blame (because SCOTT VOTED OUT HOLLY & SHE WOULD HAVE BEEN THE DECIDING VOTE TO SAVE HIM).

Alas, DR Jennifer, Scott is not the crispiest piece of chicken in the bucket.

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2004, 07:49:18 AM »

My favorite part is when the evicted houseguest got to see Adria and Natalie. Love that.

But when Scott heard Jase's message, Scott was like, "so does that mean he voted me off?"

Oy. :)

Ha, Ha! Well, I don't think Scott is the brightest bulb around, that is for sure. I think part of it all was that he was so shocked to have been voted off that he was speechless...for once! LOL!

I love to see the look on the face of the evicted houseguest when they find out about the twins, too...it is priceless!

I thought that Jase's goodbye message to Scott was not very nice, considering they were supposed to be buddies...but as it turns out Jase evidently didn't like Scott all that much...Jase is just evil!

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2004, 07:50:25 AM »

We are a BB5 frenzy!

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2004, 07:51:55 AM »

In other news I watered my lawn last night...and it rained this morning!  >:(

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2004, 07:52:50 AM »

Hey DR Elmore, I am confused.  I thought your back was hurting because of lifting the tv?  I thought the surgery was for that.

Alas, DR Jennifer, I have yet to ascertain that the two ailments are not unrelated.  I thought the tv was the source of the back pain, but there's a side of me that fears this "growth" is pressing on nerves and causing the back pain!  Either way, I am quite uncomfortable and hardly mobile.  Thanks for asking.

DR Danise, thank you for the card.  It cheered me up on Wednesday when all hell was breaking loose.   I need all the good vibes I can get these days!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2004, 07:53:54 AM »

In other news I watered my lawn last night...and it rained this morning!  >:(

Thank God you didn't wash your car as well.  There might have been a flood!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2004, 07:58:15 AM »

Very happy birthday, DR td!! I hope you and DR Michael Shayne have a great time in NYC.

I agree with you about Hugh Jackman, DR DiT. The musical's book is a Cliff's Notes version of Peter Allen's life with highlights but little drama, but who cares when this dazzling song and dance performance is right before your eyes. The night I was there, Australian tennis star Patrick Rafter was in the audience, and Hugh (as Peter, always in character) ad-libed madly with him throughout the entire show. He was the person brought out of the audience to dance, too.

Smartly, the producers have surrounded the gorgeous Jackman with similarly gorgeous male co-stars, and of course, the three wonderful women who co-star as the women in his life(mother, Garland, and Minnelli) are pleasures to watch, too.

So, all-in-all, the show has far more positives going for it than many people have given it credit for.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2004, 08:04:21 AM »

I read on another site that if you had the 24-7 BB feeds, you would know that Jase does not like Scott very much, and in the editing, CBS has kind of kept that from viewers of the regular broadcasts.

In just one viewing, I certainly would pick Drew as the most likable of the men. His twin brother (not competing) was even more appealing to me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2004, 08:09:39 AM »

DR Matt,

Did the audience gasp when "Judy Garland" made her entrance? I agree with you about the women - and the men. I thought Beth Fowler gave a particularly moving performance. And little Peter Allen was a joy to watch.

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2004, 08:14:02 AM »

and TD a very happy birthday to you and what fun that you have such a nice birthday trip to NY!!! Have fun!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2004, 08:15:53 AM »

And DR Kerry, we are glad to see you posting again! Hope the computer troubles end soon so you can get back in the groove!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2004, 08:16:02 AM »

Can i just say that they are drilling through cement with one of those circular saws RIGHT OUTSIDE of my first floor office!  I can barely hear myself think, no less conduct business!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2004, 08:16:35 AM »

Okay, let's look at the past 50 years:

1954:  THE GOLDEN APPLE:  I'm still ambivalent on this piece, which I adore; it calls for trained voices but it's idiom strikes me as musical comedy.  On the other hand, its mix of serious voices and song-and-dance folk goes back to SHOWBOAT, which I consider the great American operetta.
         FANNY:  Harold Rome and Josh Logan do a Rodgers & Hammerstein "musical play," a term designed to bring in the operetta-phobes!

1955:  Well, D'Oyly Carte brought Gilbert and Sullivan to the City!

1956:  MY FAIR LADY
         THE MOST HAPPY FELLA
         CANDIDE:  this had the nerve to call itself a "comic operetta!"  Don't you think that was one more satirical side of the show?

1957-1958:  Bad years for operetta, maybe it's because MY FAIR LADY was still running?

1959:  JUNO, one of the great disasters with some wonderful music.
         FIRST IMPRESSIONS:  an operetta that needed better writers.
         THE SOUND OF MUSIC
         LITTLE MARY SUNSHINE (duh!)

1960:  SARATOGA:  another show needing better writers
         GREENWILLOW:  Frank Loesser's Rogers & Hammerstein "musical play"

1961:  THE HAPPIEST GIRL IN THE WORLD:  Offenbach did it better
          THE GAY LIFE:  listen to that score, look at those photos!

1962:  BRAVO GIOVANNI:  whatever it was, it wasn't good

Decade One ends here.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2004, 08:17:09 AM »

I don't remember a gasp from the audience with Keating as Garland, but I may have been so wowed by the actor playing Mark Herron that I didn't notice. He was very, very sexy.

She was sensational, sound and body language perfect as Garland. It's a shame she and Fowler coldn't have shared the Tony won by Anika Noni Rose in CAROLINE.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up