Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE KEMPT ME  (Read 23240 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE KEMPT ME
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2004, 08:20:58 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - ON THE ROAD, soundtracks from the first five Crosby/Hope ROAD movies to Singapore, Zanzibar, Morocco, Utopia, and Rio.

DVD - THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT and then THE ITALIAN JOB (1969)

DVR - yesterday's ONE LIFE TO LIVE (a gay character has been introduced so I'm back to watching the soap now to see how it's handled)

BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS. Haven't seen this atrocity in awhile, but it was on IFC last night and so I recorded it to watch at some point this weekend.)

If my Deanna Durbin boxed set comes today, all DVD bets are off. CAN'T HELP SINGING will go instantly into the player.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 08:21:32 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2004, 08:24:11 AM »

Well, now you know:  I can pontificate but I can't count!

1963:  SHE LOVES ME
         THE STUDENT GYPSY:  Rick Besoyan tried to do to Johann Strauss and Mittel-Europe what he did to Nelson and Jeannette and failed.  Lightning doesn't always strike twice, and he should have known better.
         110 IN THE SHADE:  Schmidt and Jones do a "musical play."
         THE GIRL WHO CAME TO SUPPER:  Noel Coward and Edwardian operetta

Now the damned decade ends!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2004, 08:26:21 AM »

DR MattH, BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS is such a fun movie! LOL! I have the soundtrack and listen to it quite often!

MBarnum

« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2004, 08:27:11 AM »

DR Elmoore3003, it is nice to see you posting a bit more, but sorry to hear about your growth!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2004, 08:52:12 AM »

I've finally made it in the world, DRs! I was notified that I am now on the Internet list of famous Hungarians in the Arts! This is the ONE time in my life that I will be listed with Kodaly, Bartok AND Cuddles Sakall!
If you want to check out the list, go to

http://www.thehungarypage.com/filmartsandmedia2.htm

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2004, 08:53:21 AM »

I hope they update us on last years competitors and you know I sure would love to see a reunion of the very first season's people...that season seems to be the only one NOT available on DVD and it really was my favorite group of people.

MB, the first season of BB was tho only one I watched all the way through from beginning to end.  I liked those people a lot, too (well, maybe not all of them--but most, anyway.)

I guess that's the trouble I have with most reality TV shows.  The initial seasons of these shows are played by a good mix of people who ernestly play the game though they might be clewless about what's going on.  In subsequent seasons, the shows are inevitably cast with a bunch of posers who think they know the game inside and out.  They only play to win, exhibit self-consciously styled personalities, and, IMHO (internet lingo!),  are not very interesting to watch.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2004, 08:53:27 AM »

Next decade, please!

1964:  Well, D'Oyly Carte brought "authentic" Gilbert and Sullivan back!

1965:  BAKER STREET:  the model is MY FAIR LADY, but it never reached that level.
         ON A CLEAR DAY:  a real amalgam of great operetta moments and great musical comedy, but it's Alan Jay Lerner and to me it spells operetta (I omitted CAMELOT in 1960!)
         MAN OF LA MANCHA
         ANYA:  Wright, Forrest, and Irra Petina.  What else could it be? And I forgot KEAN in 1961!!!

1966:  D'Oyly Carte was back!
         WALKING HAPPY:  this was an operetta looking for some direction

1967:  The year HAIR shook up everything!

1968:  THE HAPPY TIME:  nostalgia, wonderful score, and Robert Goulet!
          DARLING OF THE DAY:  another MY FAIR LADY model, but a better score than that of BAKER STREET.

1969:   1776:  another operetta set in the USA
           DEAR WORLD
           CRY FOR US ALL
           PROMENADE:  theatre-of-the-absurd attempts CANDIDE

1970:   THE ROTHSCHILDS

1971:   FOLLIES:  this is such an epic show, stretching the "musical play" idiom so far, employing techniques of time and place begun in COMPANY, that I feel its musical demands are more based in operetta than musical comedy

1972:   I think the theatre is reeling from the shock of rock and the political situation, and the closest thing to an operetta seems to be PIPPIN!  But it's reallt a good song-and-dance musical comedy with a cynical facade.

1973:   A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC:  all the waltzes of Strauss, Johann and Richard, and Ravel rolled into Stephen Sondheim.
          CYRANO:  not a great show, but some great music.

End of Decade!      

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2004, 08:54:31 AM »

*****MORE HEALING VIBES TO DR ELMORE!***

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2004, 08:59:17 AM »

SORRY, more Big Brother talk.

Ha, Ha! Well, I don't think Scott is the brightest bulb around, that is for sure. I think part of it all was that he was so shocked to have been voted off that he was speechless...for once! LOL!

I love to see the look on the face of the evicted houseguest when they find out about the twins, too...it is priceless!

I thought that Jase's goodbye message to Scott was not very nice, considering they were supposed to be buddies...but as it turns out Jase evidently didn't like Scott all that much...Jase is just evil!

DR MattH mentioned that he had read that Jase didn't really like Scott.

I'm not so sure about that.  Jase certainly hinted that he would have nominated Scott (during the long endurance HOH with Diane).  But I don't believe him.

Yes Jase was very mad that Scott had voted out Holly.  But I think he was loyal to Scott and his other team members.

I think Jase was just stating the obvious in his good bye speech.  Although his tone wasn't too nice.  But he was right.  IT was totally stupid for Scott to make them vote out holly.  And it's the reason why the 4H will be leaving.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2004, 08:59:19 AM »

The cast tends to go up on lines in the same areas in the group numbers, and it's sporadic in some of the dialogue and solo numbers, but always seems to be in the same sections.  I'm going to run those until they can say them in their sleep - that's what tomorrow's rehearsal is for.

WEL: The theater is small, and the sound is decent without mics, but a couple of cast members don't project out as well as the others and it's noticible - and audiences have simply become used to it, that's the sad part.  Every waiver musical uses them, every high school uses them, and audiences now sublimininally need them.  I'm using them but keeping the volume VERY low for everyone but the two who need a bit of support.  When it was working last night, it worked really well and you could barely tell there was amplification.  It's subtle, the way it should be.

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2004, 09:05:49 AM »

MB, the first season of BB was tho only one I watched all the way through from beginning to end.  I liked those people a lot, too (well, maybe not all of them--but most, anyway.)  

Who was on BB1?  I remember BB4 with Alison and Jun.  I remember the one with Lisa and Will Kirby.  Was that BB3?

Help!

Panni

« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2004, 09:06:22 AM »

Interesting article about the dramatic treatment of the post-9/11 era on various shows - LAW AND ORDER, etc - including Tiger Cruise.

CLICK FOR ARTICLE

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2004, 09:07:40 AM »

DR Panni, that is so cool!  But couldn't they do the list alphabetically?  You are right near the bottom!

And DR Elmore, good vibes definitely ~~~~~~~~~.

MBarnum

« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2004, 09:07:45 AM »

I guess that's the trouble I have with most reality TV shows.  The initial seasons of these shows are played by a good mix of people who ernestly play the game though they might be clewless about what's going on.  In subsequent seasons, the shows are inevitably cast with a bunch of posers who think they know the game inside and out.  They only play to win, exhibit self-consciously styled personalities, and, IMHO (internet lingo!),  are not very interesting to watch.  

I always manage to become quite involved with the people on Big Brother...and definitely they do play to win as that is the goal. Essentially it is just a game show.

Now, I have found that Survivor does tend, for me,  to not be as exciting as in the past...but I still never miss it! LOL!

Do you watch THE AMAZING RACE? That show never fails to entertain. It is like a wonderful, big game show that doubles as a travelogue.

Regardless of who is on Big Brother, Amazing Race or Survivor I always find it fascinating to watch the human dynamics in play. I like people and I like seeing what makes them tick. I don't consider these shows to be reality shows, but rather game shows where contestants must use their wits, strength, personalities (or lack of) and emotions to win.

And of course, as with any TV show, the novelty will tend to wear off for many people after awhile.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2004, 09:13:24 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]!!!!! GET HIP! GET HEP! GET WELL! VIBES FOR DR ELMORE !!!!![/move]

!!!!!  MORE CONGRATS TO DR PANNI! !!!!!*

*easy to read vibes  ;D
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2004, 09:14:37 AM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2004, 09:19:22 AM »

DR MBarnum, I could not resist posting this.

But it is a small spoiler as to what the houseguests are doing right now.

So if you really don't want to know (even though this is funny) THEN PLEASE DON'T READ ANY FURTHER.

Jase is cutting out boxes and he has spray painted the words, "starting alliance join today" on them. He is now walking around the house inviting everyone to join his alliance while saying, "me and you till the end".  :)

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2004, 09:21:19 AM »

DR MBarnum, I could not resist posting this.

But it is a small spoiler as to what the houseguests are doing right now.

So if you really don't want to know (even though this is funny) THEN PLEASE DON'T READ ANY FURTHER.

Jase is cutting out boxes and he has spray painted the words, "starting alliance join today" on them. He is now walking around the house inviting everyone to join his alliance while saying, "me and you till the end".  :)

Ha, ha, ha! Jase is a freak!

Panni

« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2004, 09:28:26 AM »

DR Panni, that is so cool!  But couldn't they do the list alphabetically?  You are right near the bottom!

I think that must be because I'm a recent addition and they haven't had a chance to put things in the right order. (Just a guess.) I want to be in alphabetical order so that I can be next to my sweet fave S.Z. Sakall (actually Szoke (meaning "blonde") Szakall (meaning beard)).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2004, 09:41:19 AM »

Do you watch THE AMAZING RACE? That show never fails to entertain. It is like a wonderful, big game show that doubles as a travelogue.

I did watch the first season all the way through and enjoyed it a lot.  It's been hard to watch other season mostly because it's a summer series and I tend to get lazy about watching TV this time of year.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2004, 09:48:15 AM »

DR Elmore - Strength and healing vibes heading your way from Toronto.

I'm enjoying the operetta discussions immensely. I was about to mention Girl Who Came To Supper, then caught your addition. There's much of the score that I like. When I was in London about seven years ago, I gave myself an "Ada Cockle" tour.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2004, 09:48:26 AM »

Me, too!  Especially Brittany, Jaime, Cassandra and Josh (Sloshie!)

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2004, 10:00:23 AM »

Can I vent that hotmail is a piece of crud.  Can someone explain to me why so many of their messages take a whole day to get through.  It rarely happens when I send a message to a hotmail one.

But it has been happening a lot the other way around.

UGGHGGGHHH!  thanks, I needed to get that off my chest.

Ben

« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2004, 10:00:51 AM »

I tried to get Kempt on my lunch hour but my barber was not in. I will have to try and squeeze it in after work and before the theatre though I like to wash my hair after getting it cut to get rid of those pesky little hairs that fall down the back of your shirt and land on your back and make you itch!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2004, 10:06:12 AM »

It's a shame that micing has become so common in LA.  In NYC micing is not used in most smaller theatres.  Mufti doesn't use it nor does Musicals Tonight.  As for Broadway by the Year at the slightly larger Town Hall, they started to do one number per show with no mics and have gradually increased it to several numbers... about 20% of the show.  They are even doing a special show next month which will be totally unmiked.  I guess the LA actors are more used to mics for film and television.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 10:07:17 AM by William E. Lurie »
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2004, 10:13:35 AM »

It's a shame that micing has become so common in LA.  

I read that as mice-ing thinking that there were little tiny mice running around. :(

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2004, 10:14:24 AM »

And from Back To School:

Guests at party of snobby wife (Adrenne Barbeau): "We were just admiring your wife's Klimt."

Rodney Dangerfield: "Everybody's seen it but me!"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2004, 10:14:50 AM »

Eighty-five posts by ten-fourteen Pacific Mean Daylight Savings Time.  That's what I'M talkin' about - I feel that soon we will be the most popular site on all the Internet.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2004, 10:15:59 AM »

(That was a stream of consciousness moment from kempt to klimt via verklempt.)

Panni

« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2004, 10:28:10 AM »

Kempt...Klimpt...verklempt....

Sounds like horse hooves on pavement. Thought I'd share.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up