Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NOTHING NOTES  (Read 14479 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE NOTHING NOTES
« on: September 05, 2004, 11:59:20 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you have ascertained their nothingness, and now you are ready to post sweet nothings until the nothing cows come home.  
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 11:59:49 PM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE NOTHING NOTES
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 12:33:07 AM »

Good Evening!  Good Morning!

I tried to "make it" to yesterday's notes, but since I was still catching up on reading the notes from Saturday...  but I'm here now, so...

Brief synopsis of my weekend so far:

Saturday: Woke up.  Went to the Getty with DR Jay - WOW!  Went to The Farmer's Market - very nice, lots of culinary temptations.  Went through The Grove - just another mall to me.  Walked up Fairfax.  Bought some hamantaschen for the cast, DR Jay and myself (apricot, cherry and poppy seed).  Walked up to Santa Monica, took a very(!) crowded number 4 bus to the theatre.  Good show.  Headed home.  Slept.

Sunday - Slept in.  Went through a bunch of piles of stuff.  Threw out a bunch, put a bunch of stuff in the recycling bin.  Posted here on HHW.  Spent some more time on the computer catching up on e-mails and stuff.  Then headed to Old Pasadena to do some more exploring.  Had some wonderful pozole for dinner.  Stocked up some cereal at Trader Joe's.  Went to the movies - saw "Garden State".  I laughed.  I cried.  I cried some more.  After the movie, I walked around Old Pasadena for a bit to "calm down" after the movie.  Lots of people still out and about around 9:30 on a Sunday night!  Some great street performers - including a brother and sister accordian act!  Got some gelato - a combo cup of marscapone, amaretto and sour cherry - DEEELISH!!!  Walked around some more.  Got on the Metro.  Got off the Metro.  Walked home.  All in all a nice day.

Happy now? ;)

*Oh, and I stopped by the used book store I mentioned in a past posting to check out their music section.  Great selection of books on music.  Not too many scores, but I did manage to snag a mini-score - piano/vocal - of Brigadoon for less than $5.00!  It's just like the standard piano/vocal score, only reduced - like a study score.  I may need to make a return trip to pick up some other titles I came across while browsing.  They really have a wonderful selection, and the prices aren't too bad either.  There were even some autographed books on the shelves.  And what I liked most of all, was that if the book had a dust-jacket that was in decent condition, they put that library cellophane-covering(?) on it.  Nice touch, I think.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 12:35:00 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 12:38:02 AM »

The "cellophane" thing is called a Brodart - any book collector or dealer worth his salt or, at the very least, his pepper, uses them.  Every book in my book room has one.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 12:38:28 AM »

DR Noel - As for "Getting To Know You" - Hmm.. I don't recall coming across that question... But... Now I'm trying to think of the answer... It's not "Begin the Beguine".. It's not "Autumn Leaves".... It's not "Send in the Clowns"...

-ohh... Well, hopefully, I'll be able to sleep tonight... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 12:40:48 AM »

The "cellophane" thing is called a Brodart - any book collector or dealer worth his salt or, at the very least, his pepper, uses them.  Every book in my book room has one.

Now I know!  Thanks!  -I didn't think to ask the booksellers while I was there.

-I may have to go back to pick up the book that was authored and signed by Al Kasha.  The inscription was very nice - apparently to an aspiring actress/friend.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004, 12:42:44 AM »

SHEESH!!!  I wonder if the tune of "Getting To Know You" was ever used on the BBC's "My Music" where they would have a segment where the panel had to come up with names of songs that used a particular series of notes.  Always fun listening.

Hmm.... Maybe it's an ALW tune?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 12:46:53 AM »

Well I seem to be a night owl this early morn. Just haven't felt like going to bed so here I am...and I seem to be in good company...JosePiano, BK, TCB...I have soft hits on the radio in hopes it will lull me to sleep.

Freddy is freaking out chasing imaginary creatures around the kitchen floor.

I popped in my DVDr of HERCULES, SAMSON AND ULYSSES (1965). Not a bad film, and a very handsome Hercules as played by Kirk Morris kept me enthralled! But Ulysses was sort of a wimpy guy  ??? in this movie.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2004, 12:48:05 AM »

Topic of the Day:  Hmmm... I'm not sure about disturbing movie images.  I do recall having certain scenes from the "Amityville Horror" stick in my head for a few weeks after seeing it when I was younger.  But nothing else really sticks in my head from my cinematic experiences.

On stage, the Japanese production of Pacific Overtures that played Lincoln Center and the Kennedy Center had quite an effect on me.  The Finale, "Next", was truly awesome.  -I'm wondering how the director will adapt it for the upcoming Roundabout production for a smaller space.  And I recently read a review for a show currently running here in L.A. called "Eat Me".  I won't go into the details, but, needless to say, there are some disturbing things that happen in the play - so much so, that the playwright has more or less banned her father from seeing it.

Well, time for me to get ready for bed.  I ended up doing quite a bit of walking today - it just sort of happened.  So...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2004, 12:49:58 AM »

OH!

DR MBarnum - I have yet to watch the Bollywood movie.  But I may get to it this week.  I'll have to watch it on my laptop since DR Jay does not have a DVD player.

So, do you think that a DVD player would make a nice hostess gift?  ;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 12:50:46 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2004, 12:53:49 AM »

First that came to mind was a scene in "Mondo Cane" - a turtle effected by radiation.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2004, 12:53:50 AM »

OH! -Again...

Another disturbing stage image - I saw a very good production of Nick Darke's (he's a Canadian) The Dead Monkey in Richmond a couple of years ago.  A friend directed it, his wife costumed it, and the three people in the cast were/are also friends of mine.  Very interesting play, but the final image sometimes pops into my head still - haunting image...  Let's just say that domestic violence is involved and leave it at that for now.

And on that note...

Goodnight...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2004, 12:56:23 AM »

Well.. Could Matthew Broderick's performance in "Meredith Willson's The Music Man" qualify as disturbing and unsettling?  ;)

-Just trying to think of happy, pre-bedtime thoughts now...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 12:57:26 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2004, 12:59:11 AM »

What are you wearing now, DR MBarnum?

:D

:o

;)

And, once again, and once and for all... Goodnight!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 01:00:13 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2004, 01:58:37 AM »

The most disturbing image I can remember seeing was of a sea slug in a Disney nature film.  I was only seven or eight at the time, but it really bothered me.

Ga-rosse!

After that, little kids spitting up pea soup was just...well, soup!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2004, 02:09:07 AM »

BK wrote (in the notes):
The actors are all excellent, especially O.E. Hasse and Dolly Haas
Didn't they open up a brewery?  I'm picturing Cindy Williams, for some reason.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2004, 02:12:39 AM »

DR Noel - As for "Getting To Know You" - Hmm.. I don't recall coming across that question... But... Now I'm trying to think of the answer... It's not "Begin the Beguine".. It's not "Autumn Leaves".... It's not "Send in the Clowns"...

-ohh... Well, hopefully, I'll be able to sleep tonight... ;)

My search of the site reveals that the question originally came from Arnold Brockman, who asked it and scrammed.  I thought of, and rejected, Send in the Clowns, too.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2004, 02:16:42 AM »

I can't stand disturbing images.  They turn my stomach, stick with me, and I get angry at the director for resorting to such a cheap ploy.  Call me Aristotelian, but I like my drama to come out of human conflict, not a camera turned on something wince-producing.  It's a trouble I have with the medium of film in general.

The final image of the Mendes revival of Cabaret was pretty disturbing to me (I don't want to give it away to those who haven't seen it) and my recollection is that the actors looked alarmingly thin, much thinner than they'd looked in the rest of the play.  Haunting.

beckon

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2004, 04:10:05 AM »

TOD:

WARNING: Some may find the following story truly disturbing.

The most disturbing image I have ever seen in a movie was in a documentary about lynching(racial and religious)  in the U.S.  Believe it or not, there was a time here in the States where postcards were made of snapshots taken at lynchings.  These were actually mailed until the U.S. postal service refused to deliver them (I believe this happened at the start of the 1900s).  This documentary told the history and story behind these postcards.

One of the postcards showed the aftermath of a lynching.  A black man was hanging from a tree and a huge crowd of white people were gathered around.  I assume these were townspeople.  They were all ages:from babies to the elderlly, both male and female.

The hanging man was disturbing enough, but what really bothered me was the crowd.  People were smiling!! Everyone looked quite happy!  There were smiling families milling about!  It looked as if people were at a picnic!

A dark page in U.S. history and an image I strongly remember.
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

Danise

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2004, 05:41:12 AM »

Hi folks from soggy Floridia!  Sorry to be E&T yesterday but it wasn't my fault.

We were without power half of Saturday night and all of yesterday.  They just got it up and running about an hour ago.    I don't know if our food is ruined or not since the power to the fridge was off all of that time.

We had the eye go just slightly to my south.  They said it was going straight down hwy 60 to downtown Tampa.  I don't know how bad downtown was hit so therefore I don't know if I will be going to work tomorrow or not.

Right now we are dealing with the back side of the storm and it's turning out to be much worse than what we went through yesterday.  There are tornado warnings up until about 2.  They are reporting sighting them right and left.  I am a bit worried about that.

We're fine--so far.  Lots of tree branches/leaves down but nothing major.  The house is fine.  I'm just glad to have power back but I want to post this in case we lose it again.

I want a refund on my holiday weekend.  This was NOT my idea of fun!   ::)   :'(
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2004, 06:43:23 AM »

One disturbing image I saw as a child I've posted about before.... I was looking for something to watch on TV, switching from channel to channel when I saw a few moments of what probably was an old Wolfman movie. A child was peacefully sleeping in what seemed to be the room of a peasant cottage. The camera explores the room, and as it comes to the closet, we see that the door is slightly ajar -- and from the upper shelf area, some kind of bearded Wolfman-like creature is staring out at the sleeping child. I switched the channel immediately --- but it was too late -- the image was hammered into my head. To this day, I have to make sure the closet door is closed before I go to sleep.

Panni

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2004, 06:47:22 AM »

..And then, of course, there's Mother's silhouette through the shower curtain.... And Janet Leigh's lifeless staring eye when it's all over. EEEEEK. :o

Panni

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2004, 06:54:24 AM »

Speaking of disturbing things... For the past few weeks I've noticed that spiders have been busily and QUICKLY building webs in the oddest places. Not dark corners, but places that you walk through. For example, I'll go out and return a couple of hours later. As I go to unlock my front door, I walk through a spider web that's been spun from the bush on one side of my door to the plants on the other. Ewwwww. And then for the next half hour I'm flicking bits of spider web out of my hair.
Yesterday it happened in the middle of the street in the middle of the day. At the risk of sounding redundant.... Ewwwwwww.

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2004, 07:25:55 AM »

Lots of safety vibes to DR Danise and all those in the hurricane area ~~~~~~~~~~~~!

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2004, 07:27:53 AM »

Question.  What does it mean when you have dream after dream about the same person?

I dream about this person often.  But this is the first time I've ever had so many dreams about them in a row.

Jennifer

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2004, 07:30:16 AM »

Well I bought something interesting yesterday at Walmart.  It is a cushiony chair that folds out to a bed.  So it is my new chair/bed! :)

I also have an air mattress in my waterbed box.

And the waterbed websites that were down yesterday morning were up yesterday evening. So now I have 3 choices where to get my bed (just have to find out if any of them will ship to me).

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2004, 07:34:23 AM »

WOW.  For those who follow Big Brother (and especially the live feeds or commentaries).  It is getting good!

Someone who I don't like has come up with an amazing plan.  And now I am cheering them on.  And if all goes well, it should rock the house!

(okay was that vague enough for those DRs who don't read the live feed sites).

Danise

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2004, 08:04:45 AM »

Thanks, DR Jennifer.  I may not need as many vibes as some other poor people here in the state but I will take them on their behalf.  

We had a calm moment so I took the dogs outside for a much needed bathroom break  :-X and checked for damage.  We have a tree on the East side of the house (well not OUR tree but one that hangs over the fence) that is totally stripped of leaves.  They are all over our back yard.

The poor dogs have been so good but they don't understand what is going on.  Yesterday, Bear kept looking at the TV and the light like, "Why don't you put that on? ".  

I can't tell you how many times I turned the light switch on when I went to the bathroom or in my bedroom.  Did you know when there's no power, they don't work?   :o  ;D  

I don't know what your dream means, Jennifer, but I went to bed very early last night since there was nothing else to do and had my own evening of dream movies.  

Some were rather good.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2004, 08:06:42 AM »

Most disturbing images on film for me were the Linda Blair scenes in THE EXORCIST. As I've said here before, I'm a real sucker for being drawn into a movie and believing it's real. I have NO problem suspending my disbelief and getting right into what's being presented before me. From the moment Blair was stabbing herself through to the end, I wasn't scared so much as sickened, revolted, and abashed. I left that theater feeling dirty (the movie has to be one of the ugliest ever filmed). The only other time I left a movie theater feeling that way was after PULP FICTION.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2004, 08:09:48 AM »

I'm looking forward to getting my Hitchcock films once mail delivery begins again. It's a holiday here in the US today.

I also love I CONFESS and always have. Always thought it was underrated. I've only had a tape I made off AMC many years ago (when they were a decent cable channel) for the film, so I'm looking forward to getting this DVD a lot. Same with STAGE FRIGHT - only had a home-made tape off AMC, and it's been worn out.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2004, 08:34:55 AM »

Oh...well it's a holiday....but not with Mary. (a Sherman brothers reference).

The most disturbing image I remember from a film is from something called SALON KITTY - and I wish I had never seen it.  Didn't expect anything like this in the film and suddenly it was there.  It was a scene in a slaughterhouse.  And I will NEVER watch that DVD again, but that image is burned into my feeble brain.  I wish it wasn't!

Ugh....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up