Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NOTHING NOTES  (Read 14481 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE NOTHING NOTES
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2004, 08:15:20 PM »

Missed my daily walk for the first time in two weeks tonight, too. Knowing I'd be gone tonight, I had hoped I could take my walk this morning, but it was raining. And it's supposed to continue raining for the next few days.  :-\
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 08:15:50 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2004, 08:17:13 PM »

Only watched more ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE today along with the half hour FATHER OF THE PRIDE from last week's premiere. Not great comedy, but fairly pleasant adult fare. The Siegfred and Roy computer generations were much mroe entertaining than the animals, I thought. Would love to see more of them.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Sigerson Holmes

« Reply #122 on: September 06, 2004, 08:40:03 PM »

Disturbing film imagery, huh?  "Un Chien Andalou," anybody?

I suppose I could say "The Passion of the Christ," too.  However, graphic though it is, it's not the violence that disturbs me most about that one.  It's the bizarre "original" Mel Gibson innovations: the way the little boys' faces turn suddenly (digitally) grotesque when Judas touches them; the exaggerated way Barabbas sticks out his tongue and carries on after being released by Pilate; the "Powder"-like satan figure who turns up here and there, once even carrying a little hairy-backed satan midget-baby.  How lamebrained, obvious and condescending these depictions of "evil" are in a film purporting finally to show Jesus' suffering the way it REALLY WAS.  How sad that this may nevertheless become the all-time biggest-selling version of a story much better told by more thoughtful filmmakers, like Stevens and Zeffirelli, even Scorsese.
It's not who you know.  It's whom you know.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #123 on: September 06, 2004, 09:21:46 PM »

How do I remove a photo if the notes have been locked? I'd gladly remove my old photos, but I don't know how.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #124 on: September 06, 2004, 09:37:04 PM »

Hi, Jane (and anyone else),

There's a mini-chat going on at the moment. Right now, Noel and Laura are talking about bridal registries.
This sounds very Mormon.  Bridal registries...I mean, who really NEEDS more than one bride?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

beckon

« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2004, 09:54:40 PM »

DR DERBRUCER:

You are 100% right on recalling James Allen's "Without Sanctuary."   The image I am talking about is included in his exhibit.  I know there is a short clip of his film out there on the internet.

It is fascinating, but not for the faint-of-heart.
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2004, 09:57:44 PM »

I think jrand knows how to remove the photos - but you should be able to go into any old posts and still use "modify" to remove the link to the photo.

beckon

« Reply #127 on: September 06, 2004, 10:04:11 PM »

To All DRs:

Oops! (Spoo spelled backwards)

Reading over the early morning posts, I didn't realize my "disturbing image" would bring everyone down.  It was not my intention at all.  I only brought it up, because I saw the image in a film.

Sorry.

Oscar Hammerstein II

beckon

« Reply #128 on: September 06, 2004, 10:08:51 PM »

DR Jason:

I love the recording to PARADE.  From reading HHW, I know that you live in NYC and see many a show.  I live in Los Angeles and a full production of the show has yet to appear here.  Were you able to see PARADE?  What were your thoughts on it?

Oscar Hammerstein II

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #129 on: September 06, 2004, 10:58:51 PM »

No posts in an hour? You'd think it was a holiday or something. We have to get past the dreaded ATL...

Panni

« Reply #130 on: September 06, 2004, 11:00:22 PM »

I could do it alone, but that's cheating. So, I'll get the ball roling. Just 6 more. I'll check in later.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2004, 11:05:12 PM »

DR Beckon:

I wouldn't worry about having "brought us all down" with your post.  You made us all think about something that has been buried in history for far too long.  Just because we're known for our party hats and pantaloons doesn't mean we can't don our thinking caps every once in a while, and every once in a while we deserve to have those caps slapped on our noggins.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #132 on: September 06, 2004, 11:10:03 PM »

Good Evening!

Sorry I missed chat.  I ended up heading out this afternoon, and after having yet another very good Mexican meal - this time it was cocido - I went to see another movie.  Today's selection was "Mean Creek".  What an interesting - and good - movie.  And the acting of everyone involved - who are mainly between the ages of 10 and 18 - is/was pretty convincing.  Yes, the movie has teens in it, but it bears no resemblance to the (stereo)typical "teen movie".  The characters are so well delineated and unique, complicated.  Even the usual teen "types" are shown to have other sides, other motivations.  Even the scene leading up to the "act" started going in directions I would never have guessed.

And like "Garden State" which I saw yesterday, this was another first movie by a basically first time director.  -And, unfortunately, a movie that most likely will take a few more weeks/months to play in Richmond - if at all.

In other news, I finally explored the South Lake Business District of Pasadena.  Mainly lots of retail and restaurants, but there were a few interesting "details" including some shopping arcades and courtyards.  *And I grabbed a pretty decent fudge(!) brownie from The Corner Bakery after the movie too!
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #133 on: September 06, 2004, 11:13:28 PM »

I'm discovering something unexpected with my spreadsheat project on concurrant Broadway Musical runs.

For much of the time, during the 40s and 50s (what many people refer to as the Golden Age), there would be less than a dozen musicals running at any one time.  Often, there would only be six or seven musicals on the boards.

Compare those figures with today's, where a full TWENTY shows are running.  

"Oh," I can hear someone saying, "But most everything on the Rialto right now is revivals."

No, not really.  Out of that twenty, only five are actual revivals.  (The Frogs is a revisal, but so radically altered that it might be considered a new work.)

What is majorly different is how long shows will run on Broadway.  PotO has been in place for so long that by now it must feel like a revival.  Rent has been around long enough to make it an establishment piece.  Beauty and the Beast has celebrated it's TENTH anniversary.

There's sure to be a masters thesis somewhere in all these notes I'm amassing.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #134 on: September 06, 2004, 11:16:15 PM »

Gee, how many more posts do we need to avoid the all-time low?

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #135 on: September 06, 2004, 11:16:56 PM »

One more?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #136 on: September 06, 2004, 11:17:29 PM »

Or two?
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #137 on: September 06, 2004, 11:18:37 PM »

...after having yet another very good Mexican meal - this time it was cocido...
Oh, don't DO this to me!  I haven't had a really good Mex meal since we switched coasts!

Not that I'd handle it too well right now.  My throat is still sore from the cold, and the spices might hurt in ways unpleasurable rather than euphoric.

Instead, I poached a couple of chicken breasts, and served it alongside Mac 'n' Cheese.  Comfort food.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: September 06, 2004, 11:19:39 PM »

OH!

One thing I keep mention to mention/bring up...

I think the one thing that has truly bugged me during my time out here in L.A. so far is that no one seems to know about nor follow the "Stand to the Right, Pass of the Left" rule when it comes to using escalators.  Is it only a mid-West and East Coast thing?  Is it because L.A. is "traditionally" not a walking city?

In D.C., it's even posted in the Metro system - and, boy, do some people (including myself at times) get upset when someone causes a stall on the escalators!  In New York, I'm pretty sure it's more or less an unwritten rule of public etiquette.  Chicago, same thing.  But out here in L.A. - ???

Of course, I guess if you're taking an escalator - which are essentially moving stairs - why would you need to walk on them anyway?  -Sort of defeats the purpose, I guess.  But still... It's just something I've noticed.  -And if that's been one of the few things that's bugged me since I've been out here...  Well... You can come to your own conclusions.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 11:23:04 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: September 06, 2004, 11:25:40 PM »

I saw Parade in NY and didn't care for it at all.  It had some interesting Harold Prince touches, and it had a good cast, but it just didn't work as a whole.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: September 06, 2004, 11:32:30 PM »

Oh, don't DO this to me!  I haven't had a really good Mex meal since we switched coasts!

Not that I'd handle it too well right now.  My throat is still sore from the cold, and the spices might hurt in ways unpleasurable rather than euphoric.

Instead, I poached a couple of chicken breasts, and served it alongside Mac 'n' Cheese.  Comfort food.

Mac 'n' Cheese!  YUMMY!!!  That's truly one of those foods that I know I could eat day in and day out and not get tired of it.  Of course, I would probably end up putting on about ten pounds a week if not more, so...  -And I still remember making the "polka-dot" mac 'n' cheese recipe that came in my mom's Better Homes and Gardens recipe cards file - you put slices of pepperoni on top.  Yummers!

*However, I'm not a fan of one of the Southern variations/style of m&c where you simply layer macaroni, shredded cheese, and butter in a casserole dish and bake.  Yes, it's simply Mac 'n' Cheese, but I want my creamy sauce!!  I had an upscale version at a restaurant that used marscapone cheese - soooo rich, but soooo good!!!!

**Oh, the Mexican place I've been going to lately has some very good in-house-made tamales - chicken, pork, beef and rajas.  And I found out today that they ship them frozen!  Hmmm...  -And another place I came across has the sweet ones, dulce, which they make with sweet corn kernels and pineapple.  The aroma is amazing once you unwrap the corn husk.  And just the right amount of sweetness.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 11:36:26 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: September 06, 2004, 11:40:43 PM »

DR SWW - If you happen to make it to D.C. again in the near or not so near future, there are some pretty amazing Mexican places in the Adams Morgan neighborhood.  However, the Mexican communities in Alexandria and Arlington, Virginia - as well as in suburban Maryland - host some pretty amazing true Mexican eating establishments.  The Washington Post recently did a story on them in their Food section.  You may be able to look up the story on washingtonpost.com - althought, the Post's "free" period seems kind of random for some articles and sections.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2004, 11:41:03 PM »

I'm ready for this long weekend to end. I'm not a big fan of long weekends. Although it was nice that there wasn't much traffic today (around the City of Studio, anyway).

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #143 on: September 06, 2004, 11:56:27 PM »

I have been errant and truant today, but I have a good reason.  My niece made me (okay, I agreed, but still)...anyway, we walked around the Nisqually Wildife Refuge loop and it's 5 1/4 miles!  I only stopped twice to remove rocks from my shoes.  Other than that we walked for about an hour and 50 minutes!

Right after that, I took my niece home and I put together a little shelf unit for my sister.  I got us dinner at Taco Del Mar (today is double stamp Monday), then we went to our parents' house for dessert.  My mom makes this plum coffee cake like thing.  It's made on a sheet cake pan with cut up plums and a streussel (sp?) topping.  It's not very sweet (and it's not supposed to be) but it's very good.  It's a German recipe (my mom is German so it's appropriate).

Anyway, I got home about an hour ago and I've been paying the last couple of bills that I have and just piddling around my house and doing laundry.  Now I've checked in but I haven't read any posts since #15 this morning...or was it 73?  I'll start at 15 and see if anything's familiar.  Isn't that an exciting post?  Isn't that just too too?...or not. :)

While I was at my sisters (after the shelf putting togethering and before the Taco Del Marring), I popped into chat for a bit.  DearReaderLaura, Dan-in-Toronto and Noel were there.  I didn't stay very long, but I was there.  

So that's been my day. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up