Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NOTHING NOTES  (Read 14544 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:THE NOTHING NOTES
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2004, 08:37:10 AM »

The most disturbing image I have ever seen in a movie was in a documentary about lynching(racial and religious)  in the U.S.  Believe it or not, there was a time here in the States where postcards were made of snapshots taken at lynchings.  These were actually mailed until the U.S. postal service refused to deliver them (I believe this happened at the start of the 1900s).  This documentary told the history and story behind these postcards.

The documentary was probably using pictures from James Allen's "Without Santuary" (Book and Art Exhibit).

Sarah Valdez, writing in "Art in America" reports:
An exhibition of photographs of lynchings--focused primarily on the violent mob "justice" in the South between 1890 and 1930--resurrected a tragic episode in American history.

It is difficult, if not impossible, to comprehend the full extent of brutality and pain depicted in the images in "Without Sanctuary:. Lynching Photography in America." Hanged men, mostly young and black, with limp necks, shackled wrists and bare feet hovering over the ground produce a visceral horror; charred, battered and dismembered bodies come to seem identical due to the relative insignificance of their other characteristics. The photographs document a devastating phase of American history and, shown as a group for the first time, have attracted huge audiences. "Without Sanctuary" made its debut as a catalogue issued by Twin Palms Publishers and a simultaneous exhibition at Roth Horowitz Gallery in Manhattan, where it drew more viewers than the gallery could accommodate. It was subsequently picked up by the New-York Historical Society and there enjoyed the "biggest continuing attendance of any exhibition in years," according to the museum's publicity department.

The collection of photographs was assembled by James Allen, a white Southerner and self-described antique "picker"--mostly of used furniture, pots, quilt tops and walking sticks. In the course of his search, he came to recognize that the lynching images taken by both professional and amateur photographers constitute a distinct genre. His trove rests on deposit at Emory University in Atlanta, where an altered version of "Without Sanctuary" may appear sometime in 2001.

In their day, lynching photographs were often published as postcards. They were sometimes developed on site, so people who had come, often from far away, could take home a memento of the historical spectacle they had witnessed. A few cards shown in the exhibition have a particular shock value due to the blithe commentary of the senders: "This is the barbeque we had last night. My picture is at the left with a cross over it. Your son, Joe," reads the message on the back of The lynching of Jesse Washington, May 16, 1916, Robinson, Texas, which depicts a grotesquely charred corpse. Another shows a man hanged from an arch in a town square, a vast crowd below. The sender of the card drew a little arrow to indicate the minuscule figure of a hanged man in the midst of a horde. "Well John--This is a token of a great day we had," begins the message written on the back.

Gregory Kane, writing in the Baltimore Sun comments:
One such "postcard lynching" had a profound impact on American race relations. Albert Hamilton was all of 18 years old when he drove a horse-drawn carriage for a living in 1912 Cordele, Ga. Accused of assaulting a white woman, Hamilton was carted off to jail. A mob dragged him from his cell, beat him severely, hanged him from a nearby tree and shot him more than 300 times.
Hamilton's best friend, a 15-year-old boy named Elijah Poole, watched the killing in horror. Later, Poole moved to Detroit and started a religious sect known as the Nation of Islam. When Poole changed his last name to Muhammad and preached that whites were devils, he was accused of teaching hate. Nobody bothered to ask who taught Elijah Muhammad to hate. But that mob in Cordele must have been one of his instructors, as were the postcards made after Hamilton's death.

A writer in Bout of the Century observed:
Lynchings occurred so commonly that people could buy and send “lynching post cards.” Today, we find it hard to believe that people sent post cards showing a dead person hanging from a tree with a message saying, “I was here.” Nevertheless, people did. They mailed the cards until 1908, when the U.S. Postal Service decided that such material ought not be sent openly, and after embarrassing racial incidents several states were shamed into outlawing the postcards’ sale.

Rebecca, posting on Odyssey comments on the Riots of Indianapolis 1908:

I ask Jim how he still has a good number of riot photographs to study today. Well, in the twisted way that luck tends to work, the local papers in 1908 had immediately made postcards out of several of the photographs, which the locals bought eagerly to send to family and friends boasting of "what happens to Negroes in Springfield." Jim tells me that the Governor ordered the post office not to send those postcards, but of course, some of them got through. Although it's pretty sick that the newspaper was profiting off the tragedy in Springfield, we are thankful that they did, because these postcards are the best source we have of images of the riots today.

The documentary you saw may have been “Strange Fruit”  about Billie Holiday and her signature song about lynching:

STRANGE FRUIT
Southern trees bear a strange fruit
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
Black body swinging in the southern breeze
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees
Pastoral scene of the gallant south
The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth
Scent of magnolia sweet and fresh
And the sudden smell of burning flesh!
Here is a fruit for the crows to pluck
For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck
For the sun to rot, for a tree to drop
Here is a strange and bitter crop.
-- Music and lyrics by Lewis Allan, copyright 1940

Which is more than we need to know today  on the subject.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 08:46:19 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2004, 08:42:34 AM »

François you were truly on a frenzy last night.  ;D

Jennifer I suppose it depends on the dreams-if they are good ones or bad ones.  Often I find multiple dreams about one person are telling me to deal with an issue, or issues when it’s multiple dreams.

Danise, please keep us posted when you can.  I haven’t heard from my nephew.  Do you know how the Naples area is?

Yesterday we saw an extremely weird movie NAPOLEAN DYNAMITE.  Once we realized this was the movie we relaxed and enjoyed it, strange as it was so did the rest of the audience.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2004, 08:43:21 AM »

Disturbing images? Read-no-further alert.

Gord was watching Charles Bronson's The Evil That Men Do - and I walked in on a scene that involved a sicko doctor, a dissident journalist, electrodes, and genitals.

When Joseph Maher, the actor who played the doctor, later showed up in IQ as the lovable Nathan Liebknecht, and again on a Seinfeld episode (he played the airplane passenger with the dog that Jerry wound up looking after), he still creeped me out.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2004, 08:43:50 AM »

... I left that theater feeling dirty (the movie has to be one of the ugliest ever filmed). ..

It is positively "beautiful" compared to Andy Warhols' "Frankenstein" - my date passsed out cold when the internal organs were being removed by hand (a scene that made "Temple of Doom" look tame).

der Brucer

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2004, 08:51:18 AM »

More about "Strange Fruit"

Lewis Allan was the pseudonym of Abel Meeropol, a schoolteacher from New York, who saw the photograph of the lynching of Thomas Shipp and Abram Smith.

"Meeropol later recalled how the photograph "haunted me for days" and inspired the writing of the poem, Strange Fruit. Meeropol, a member of the American Communist Party, using the pseudonym, Lewis Allan, published the poem in the New York Teacher and later, the Marxist journal, New Masses.

"After seeing Billie Holiday perform at the club, Café Society, in New York, Meeropol showed her the poem. Holiday liked it and after working on it with Sonny White turned the poem into the song, Strange Fruit. The record made it to No. 16 on the charts in July 1939. However, the song was denounced by Time Magazine as "a prime piece of musical propaganda" for the National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People (NAACP).

"Meeropol remained active in the American Communist Party and after the execution of Ethel Rosenberg and Julius Rosenberg he adopted their two sons. He taught at the De Witt Clinton High School in the Bronx for 27 years, but continued to write songs, including the Frank Sinatra hit, The House I Live In."

Danise

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2004, 08:52:35 AM »

Jane, Here is a link to a Naples newspaper--

http://www.naplesnews.com/

Hope this gives you the info you need.   :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2004, 08:52:48 AM »

Oh DRJANE....when you go to DancingPaul....don't check a music choice, just start him dancing and Tall Paul will play!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jason

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2004, 09:05:22 AM »

Beckon: Blacks weren't the only ones lynched and photographed in this, our wonderful American history.

Mr. Leo Frank, a northern Jew who was living and working in Atlanta, Georgia in 1913, was accused of the murder of a 13-year old girl who worked in his factory. Even though they didn't have enough evidence to convict him (in fact, they had more evidence pointing to his co-worker, but they ignored it), they convicted him. His wife, Lucille, fought the conviction and went to the Governor, who ultimately reversed the verdict and moved him to a undisclosed minimum security prison one evening so the locals wouldn't know where he'd been moved. Someone found out and a lynch mob went to that prison, dragged him from his bed and drove him into the woods and hanged him.

There are, unfortunately, photographs of toothless men in bib overalls smiling and pointing at his body hanging from the tree. There's a musical about the whole affair--Jason Robert Brown's PARADE--as well as a made-for-TV movie.

Jason

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2004, 09:12:17 AM »

Jane: When I loaded all of DancingPaul, I had to click on the tab that said MUSIC and select the upper left hand red dot to get Tall Paul to play. It was worth searching, though... :)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2004, 09:14:17 AM »

I ask you, could we possibly have a more depressing series of posts? I'm weeping into my oatmeal.

For a change of pace - how about the funniest real life malapropism you've ever heard?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 09:15:36 AM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2004, 09:17:16 AM »

Jason - How's the tooth?

Danise

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2004, 09:17:54 AM »

I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for all of the Birthdays I missed over the past few days.

Happy Belated Birthday to all of you that I missed out on!

Movies and such do not disturb me.  I get more upset over news stories.  Like the one about the dog fur coats.  I get sick just thinking about it and if you don’t mind, I would like to change the subject.

I think the most disturbing image I have seen today is my poor four o’clocks.  They have been smashed by the little branches that fell.  Not the biggest problem to have in the world right now but still I feel upset about it.

I’m also upset about all of the looting that I hear is going on. I don't know how people could go out and steal when something like this going on.  

I just heard that Hillsborough County Employees are expected to report to work tomorrow.  Sigh.   If I can’t get a bus, I am not going to try to drive in.

I also have a frog/toad report.  It was so cute to see about six of them huddled together when I opened the outside storage to see if everything was ok.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2004, 09:27:35 AM »

Well, the topic is really most disturbing FILM or THEATER imagery - I don't think we need to get into real-life disturbing imagery, like a couple of months ago when Tammy and I saw a woman sitting in her car, car door open and throwing up on the street.

Panni

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2004, 09:27:41 AM »

I have a written malapropism to share. This person was writing a lengthy missive about selling the rights to a true story and insisted that in order for that to happen....
 "I would need to be offered an antiquate sum of money."

DERBRUCER

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2004, 09:28:35 AM »

TODAY'S LEVITY

Here are some comments made by sports commentators that I'm sure they would like to take back:

1. Weightlifting commentator at the Olympic Snatch and Jerk Event:
   "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing."

2. Ted Walsh - Horse Racing Commentator:
   "This is really a lovely horse and I speak from personal experience since I once mounted her mother."

3. Grand Prix Race Announcer:
   "The lead car is absolutely, truly unique, except for the one  behind it which is exactly identical to the one in front of the similar one in back."

4. Greg Norman, Pro Golfer:
   "I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father."

5. Ringside Boxing Analyst:
   "Sure there have been injuries and even some deaths in boxing -  but none of them really that
serious."

6. Baseball announcer:  "If history repeats itself, I should  think we can expect the same thing again."

7. Basketball analyst:
  "He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces."

8. At a trophy ceremony BBC TV Boat Race 1988:
   "Ah, isn't that nice, the wife of the Cambridge president is hugging the cox of the Oxford crew."

9. Metro Radio, College Football:
  "Julian Dicks is everywhere. It's like they've got eleven Dicks on the field."

10. US Open TV Commentator:
     "One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that,  before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and  kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said?  

(Available from multiple Internet sites, but I received it from my octogenarian  blue-haired Republican widow in CA)

der Brucer

Panni

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2004, 09:32:46 AM »

Well, the topic is really most disturbing FILM or THEATER imagery - I don't think we need to get into real-life disturbing imagery, like a couple of months ago when Tammy and I saw a woman sitting in her car, car door open and throwing up on the street.

A month or so ago, I saw the same woman doing the same thing in the parking lot at the corner of Laurel and Ventura. In fact there were two well-dressed people with her, calmly standing there waiting for her to finish.
(Well, it probably wasn't the same woman. But I hope it was. It's kinda scary to think that lots of people all over town are doing that.)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2004, 09:40:10 AM »

- I don't think we need to get into real-life disturbing imagery, like a couple of months ago when Tammy and I saw a woman sitting in her car, car door open and throwing up on the street.

Enough of your praeteriteo, already!

der (don't get to use that one often) Brucer
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 09:46:22 AM by DERBRUCER »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2004, 09:45:46 AM »

It's kinda scary to think that lots of people all over town are doing that.)

Forgotten morning sickness?

der Brucer (observing that sensitive people, aware that California's tectonic plates float on a sea of molten lava, may suffer occasional bouts of motion sickness)

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2004, 09:48:07 AM »

There are a few very disturbing images from films I saw as a kid that have stayed with me.

My dad LOVED westerns and often I would watch them with him. One Saturday he was watching one of those spaghetti westerns and it started out with a gang invading a house and killing the entire family. I can recall that the last person killed was the youngest son. I have disliked spaghetti westerns ever since. Unfortunately, I have had to watch a few in preperation for  some interviews.  The  Hercules actors I have interviewed made oodles of those westerns!

Panni

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2004, 09:51:12 AM »

Forgotten morning sickness?

Never had it. I was one of the lucky ones.
The "that" I was referring to was not the act itself, but the doing of it out of a car in a public area. Blechhh!
BTW, DB, the sports quotes were hilarious. I've sent them on.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2004, 10:12:09 AM »

I've heard some good malapropisms.

We knew a chap, Rodney, who was full of them. He told us that one of his favorite movies was "Glen Gary, Glenn Close."

And this may not exactly be a malapropism, but our former landlady told us that her neighbors were "Sir Lankans."

My mom knew a lady who was telling her that Beverly Sills had had a fire. "They suspect arsenic," the woman said.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 10:12:57 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2004, 10:25:06 AM »

Well I am finally back to my modus operandi after a week of a lot of family in town, staying right here at the HHW NW getaway locale.  Oy.  Too many people, not enough sleep.  :)

I don't know what it is with me and eBay, but I have snagged yet another Hollywood-ite with an auction of mine, this time a friend of DR Pogue:  Dale Launder, the author/producer of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and My Cousin Vinny.  He is putting me in touch (hopefully) with Peter Marshall's wife, who evidently was a friend of Frances Farmer.  Six degrees, possibly only five....  :)

Most disturbing image:  the documentary "The Animals Film," narrated by Julie Christie.  If you have any doubt about how animals raised for food are treated, just watch this film, which used to play regularly on cable.  The images of chicks being de-beaked (as they are clamped by their feet and hung upside down) and pigs being electrocuted are enough to make anyone a vegetarian (I was long before I watched the film, but the film just reinforced my decision).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2004, 10:28:12 AM »

PS to MB:  it sounds like the film you saw was Once Upon a Time in the West, Sergio Leone's grand operatic western with Henry Fonda and Claudia Cardinale.  I just watched it for the first time a few weeks ago in its recent DVD issue, and I was pleasantly surprised.  Nice to see Fonda as the bad guy.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 10:28:40 AM by JMK »

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2004, 10:35:51 AM »

I am my own frenzy.

Two interesting Farmer tidbits, for those who care (and I know you all do--LOL):

Got a nice email today from AP reporter Jack El-Hai, whose Washington Post articles on Walter Freeman, the "icepick lobotomist", have been expanded into a book which will be released in January.  He has used my research (linked below) and concurs that Freeman never even met Farmer.

And for those interested in the 1930s leftists movements in the Arts, author Conrad Goeringer will hopefully be publishing a book next year about Farmer's exploits in that regard.  Conrad hints I will be mentioned in the acknowledgements, as I have provided him tons of material through the years.

Finally, a friend who knew Farmer quite well in Indianapolis has told me that BK's close personal friend David Gest was evidently fascinated by Frances and was in contact with him about her in the early 80s.  Mr. Gest and my friend had several long conversations until my friend brought up Frances' long list of achievements in the mid-west.  Gest evidently refused to believe that Frances had had a successful television and theater career in Indy for many years (her show was the #1 rated show in that market for 6 years), and told my friend, "Oh, you're making this all up," and hung up on him, never to be heard from again!

My Farmer article can be read in all its glory at:

http://hometown.aol.com/jmkauffman/sheddinglight.html

DERBRUCER

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2004, 10:40:57 AM »

A Bit o' Wit for Panni:
"Typos" by Jack Blanchard
The supreme craftsmen who weave expensive oriental rugs always tie one single knot wrong.

Their reason: So it won't be perfect.
Only God makes something perfect.

That's exactly why I put typos in every one of my writings.

Copyright © February 12, 2001 by Jack Blanchard. All rights reserved.

der Brucer

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2004, 10:52:55 AM »

Let's hear it for Monday holidays! Woo hoo!! Instead of sitting through some boring class, I'm reading HHW and surfing eBay. What are we celebrating again?

I try to stay away from disturbing things on TV because they're, you know, disturbing.

Quidditch T-shirt, saddle shoes, pants of some kind, fake glasses I got at the 99 cent store, and my favorite accessory: a can of Cherry Coke.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jason

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2004, 10:53:35 AM »

Panni: The tooth is OK, though I think I may have a sinus infection, which is causing the drainage and pressure. Perfect, huh? But the tooth--or lack thereof--is feeling better and better with each passing day. Thanks for asking!

Malapropisms: Hmm...well...once, when we were living in England, my grandparents came to visit. Now, my grandparents grew up working the farms in Illinois, so they're not exactly what you would call "refined," nor were they world-travellers at the time. They still aren't, as a matter of fact. Their idea of a big trip is Branson, Missouri. Anyway, we had taken them to Windsor Castle for the afternoon, and my grandmother went into a shoe shop in the local village. She paid for her new shoes with traveller's cheques, and when the clerk asked her if they were sterling, my grandmother yelled out, "Land's sake, no! they ain't stolen! I'm from the United States of America and those is good checks!" My mother was horrified.

Later that same day we went to a cafe for tea and biscuits, and my grandmother started complaining about how there was no ice in her drink. "What sorta place is this that they don't put ice in your drink?! And where's my napkin?? Waitress!! Land's a-Goshen, what's a woman got to do to get a clean napkin 'round here." We had told her before, and apparently she had forgotten--in England, a napkin is a feminine hygiene product...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2004, 10:59:09 AM »

Frances Farmer's program was number one in her time slot until she involuntarily left the air in September, 1964.  
I forget the date of her last day on the air - but around now would have been the 40th anniversary of said day!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2004, 10:59:40 AM »

Oh, and Jason, should I send your cookies to the same address as before?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jason

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2004, 11:06:11 AM »

Oh, DR Sandra, you most certainly may. Do I need to send it to you again??

I can't believe you're making me MORE cookies. What did I do to deserve such a wonderful gesture!?!?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up