Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NOTHING NOTES  (Read 14480 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE NOTHING NOTES
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2004, 11:06:46 AM »

Yes, MBarnum, it's Once Upon a Time in the West - a wonderful film of Sergio Leone.  Its DVD presentation is top-notch and the score by Morricone is a masterpiece.  In addition to the aforementioned Mr. Henry Fonda, it also features Charles Bronson, Jason Robards, Jr., Claudia Cardinale, Jack Elam, Woody Strode, Keenan Wynn and Gabrielle Ferzetti.

Jason

« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2004, 11:07:55 AM »

Most disturbing image in theatre or film: Kathleen Turner's naked body in THE GRADUATE on Broadway. She looked like a linebacker.

td

• td
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2004, 11:09:16 AM »

Well, I have seen Pasolini's SALO, 120 DAYS OF SODOM and I have seen Wes Craven's THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT and somebody's I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE, but they don't hold a candle to my first viewing of Kenneth Brannagh's MARY SHELLEY'S FRANKENSTEIN.  I had attended the funeral that very day of a very close friend who had hanged himself, well, when De Niro's criminal was hanged, I could no longer watch the film and had to leave the theater - the only time that I have done that.  So much for disturbing.  Now, I still have a problem with hangings on screen.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2004, 11:10:59 AM »

Most disturbing image in theatre or film: Kathleen Turner's naked body in THE GRADUATE on Broadway. She looked like a linebacker.

Well, then I guess I could count Danny DeVito's backside in BIG FISH, too.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2004, 11:11:08 AM »

I like the typos quote, DB. It never ceases to amaze me that I can read a script ten times and miss a perfectly obvious typo each time. One of the producers I'm working with now NEVER misses a typo. On the one hand, that's good because she lets me know and I get to fix the typos before the script goes to the network; on the other hand, it's embarrassing!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2004, 11:11:41 AM »

A Blanchard Column for DR Jose:

"Dear Music Person:
We look forward to your performance at our daughter's wedding.

If you don't mind, we would like to request a few of our favorite songs.

Please play these during the reception:

A Keith Jarrett composition from his solo series.
Please arrange it for full ensemble in the key of B, but nothing in 4/4 please.

Mahavishnu Orchestra, "Dance of the Maya", and please play the guitar to John McLaughlin's solo from the live performance Nov. 16, 1972 at Chrysler Arena.

My wife and I were at that show and we liked his use of polyrhythms.

One of John Coltrane's duets with Pharaoh Sanders.
Our guests love high register tenor saxes.

We thought a little Stravinsky right after the toast would be nice, so please play "The Rite of Spring."

We like a tempo of about 1/4 note = 93 and transpose it down 3 half-steps. It will be so much more appropriate for this occasion in the slightly lower register.

Then for the candle lighting ceremony, please play Frank Zappa's "The Grand Wazoo." The original key of B flat would be fine, but my cousin Jeannie would like to sing the baritone sax solo in the key of D - she has kind of a high voice.

When my new son-in-law takes off the garter, please just a little of Varese's "Ionization." It's such a funny piece, we think it would go over real well. Much better than "The Stripper."

And for the bride and groom's first dance, please slow things down a bit by doing Barber's "Adagio for Strings." It's so much better than "We've Only Just Begun" or the "Anniversary Waltz."

When my wife and I join in the first dance, could you segue to Thelonius Monk's "Ruby, My Dear”? It’s in honor of my wife's grandmother whose name was Ruby. It would mean so much to the family.

Thanks for all your help.

Depending on the outcome we'll certainly be happy to recommend you to our friends.

We'll have your check for the fee of $25 (minus our expenses in contacting you of $12.50) by the end of next month. We're a little short as the young lady doing the balloon arch wanted her $1,850 in advance, and the DJ had to be paid up front his $2,500 as normal.

Our daughter assured us that your love of music was greater than your need for money, and that you would welcome the exposure
you would get from playing this wedding.

Before you leave, please feel free to ask the caterer for a snack sandwich and a soda.
The bottles are returnable or you can pay the deposit to the butler.

Please use the back entrance to avoid disturbing the guests."

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Panni

« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2004, 11:19:42 AM »

Spiders are not bright. In fact, at the risk of offending any spidey lurkers, they're pretty stupid. I just tried to do a good deed -- there was a spider crawling across the window sill in front of me. So I got a nice big piece of paper and stuck it in front of the creature, thinking it would crawl on the paper and I could transport it outside -- instead of whacking it with my shoe. Well the stupid thing crawled onto the paper, panicked and jumped off.
Now when I find it I'll be forced to step on it. Is there a life lesson for non-spider types in this?

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2004, 11:22:51 AM »

If the person in the title role is a skilled one AND if the prop person has done an excellent job, the denouement of Salome (be it Mr. Oscar Wilde's play or Mr. Richard Strauss' operatic treatment of it) can be rather disturbing.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 11:29:23 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2004, 11:42:47 AM »

Der Brucer:  someone who booked me for a wedding actually sent that to me (as a joke--I think).  I actually believed them for a few minutes, as I have had more than one "wedding from hell" nightmare gig.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2004, 12:04:46 PM »

Speaking of disturbing things... For the past few weeks I've noticed that spiders have been busily and QUICKLY building webs in the oddest places. Not dark corners, but places that you walk through. For example, I'll go out and return a couple of hours later. As I go to unlock my front door, I walk through a spider web that's been spun from the bush on one side of my door to the plants on the other. Ewwwww. And then for the next half hour I'm flicking bits of spider web out of my hair.
Yesterday it happened in the middle of the street in the middle of the day. At the risk of sounding redundant.... Ewwwwwww.

With apologies to JRand54, perhaps this is yet one more thing we can blame on George Bush?  (No apologies to derBrucer, he has probably already used this line by now!)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 12:10:52 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2004, 12:07:12 PM »

Question.  What does it mean when you have dream after dream about the same person?

I dream about this person often.  But this is the first time I've ever had so many dreams about them in a row.

It means you like me, you really really like me!
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2004, 12:09:46 PM »

Well DRPANNI....it might as well be spring....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

td

• td
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2004, 12:20:24 PM »

It means you like me, you really really like me!

How true, how true! ! !  ;)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2004, 12:31:54 PM »

How true, how true! ! !  ;)

For you, DR td:

“One thing’s universal,

Panni

« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2004, 12:32:17 PM »

I just sat outside -- in the shade -- for about 20 minutes. It's so HOT that the turtle was trying to open the screen door and go in the house. I'm not joking -- he really was trying to get inside.

Panni

« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2004, 12:44:53 PM »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2004, 12:57:04 PM »

Good Afternoon!

RE: Spiders and Their Webs - I've noticed quite a few spider webs lately on my various walks.  It's gotten to the point where if I can walk in the street instead of the sidewalk, I can, just to avoid the spider webs.  However, I still seem to walk through a web or two even when I'm walking in the street - where the heck is the spider connecting to and from to!?!?  And the other night, after I came in the house, I noticed that I still had a piece of web hanging off my arm, AND there was a spider on the end of it.  Ewww...  Needless to say, I promptly went back outside...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2004, 12:59:05 PM »

Thanks, DR DERBRUCER for the "Dear Music Person" letter.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2004, 01:01:12 PM »

Yesterday we saw an extremely weird movie NAPOLEAN DYNAMITE.  Once we realized this was the movie we relaxed and enjoyed it, strange as it was so did the rest of the audience.

Did you stay past the closing credits?  <hint, hint>  8)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2004, 01:06:35 PM »

Funniest typographical error in my life happened one school year right before exam time. Once we got to the end of the year, the school cafeteria pretty much closed down and everything the kids were served during exam days were pre-packed items: sandwiches, a bag of chips, a piece of fruit or a fruit-roll-up. These were served in paper bags to the kids to save time (i.e. no cafeteria trays, tableware, etc.) Usually, this food was not very good.

The school secretary typed in the notes to the faculty right before exam schedule was to do into effect:

"As usual on exam days, gag lunches will be served."

We were still referring to that typo and laughing about it 20 years later.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2004, 01:07:31 PM »

DR Danise - So glad to see you posting, and to know that you are safe and sound.  Let's just hope that Ivan ends up petering out sooner rather than later.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2004, 01:10:26 PM »

Yes, spiders have been particularly prevalent around my house this year both inside and out. I've sprayed and sprayed, but they keep coming back and with a vengeance. My side porch can literally be covered in spider webs almost overnight.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2004, 01:10:58 PM »

Danise -- I have been very worried about you.  Glad you are okay!
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2004, 01:11:44 PM »

More ROCKY & BULLWINKLE this afternoon. As usual, Mr. Peabody and the Fractured Fairy Tales stole the show. Dudley Do-Right wasn't too shabby either.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2004, 01:13:18 PM »

Well, as DR Panni mnetioned, the mercury has indeed risen here in the L.A. environs.  I'm probably going to stay put for the next few hours, and then head out again later afternoon.  Probably catch another movie.  There were some things I had sort of planned to do today, but since it's Labor Day, a bunch of the places I wanted to go to are closed.  Ah, well... Of course, there is always shopping... Hmm... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2004, 01:40:31 PM »

I am back from the gym.  I really thought it wouldn't be crowded on a holiday, but the usual preening nincompoops were indeed there.  Not only do those sorts irk me, but I had one of them sitting on the exercise bike next to me and he was chewing GUM.  Not only chewing gum but popping it incessantly.  I was trying to proof and I began to HATE that man - I began to want to just push him off the bike.  And if you could see the attitude, dear readers - what is it about chewing gum that makes certain people look so COCKY?  This guy was chomping away, looking around to see who was looking at HIM (no one, believe me), looking at himself in the mirror and popping that gum like a machine gun.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2004, 02:15:10 PM »

Yep, them shoulderpads will do that, every time!

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2004, 02:22:11 PM »

I am back from the gym.  I really thought it wouldn't be crowded on a holiday, but the usual preening nincompoops were indeed there.  Not only do those sorts irk me, but I had one of them sitting on the exercise bike next to me and he was chewing GUM.  Not only chewing gum but popping it incessantly.  I was trying to proof and I began to HATE that man - I began to want to just push him off the bike.  And if you could see the attitude, dear readers - what is it about chewing gum that makes certain people look so COCKY?  This guy was chomping away, looking around to see who was looking at HIM (no one, believe me), looking at himself in the mirror and popping that gum like a machine gun.  
He probably wouldn't have gotten the joke if you'd started humming the Cell Block Tango from Chicago.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2004, 02:24:59 PM »

Revisited a film from my childhood yesterday - "Jack & the Beanstalk". I think Lou Costello was the best actor in it! The song and dance scenes were a riot.
Nostalgia can still lend charm and enjoyment to the film. My most recent $3 purchase.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2004, 02:25:34 PM »

THE FLETCHER CHRONICLES:

Fletcher has discovered what fun can be had with a roll of toilet paper.

So far, three rolls of toilet paper have been distributed throughout the house.

The lesson being learned here is to always buy certain supplies in bulk.  (Fletcher hasn't learned any lessons in this case, so far.   :-\)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up