Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CHICKEN IS THE THEME  (Read 15994 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:CHICKEN IS THE THEME
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2004, 08:59:58 AM »

A recital album of Miss Kiri Te Kanewa singing Puccini, Verdi, Mozart and others

Mr. Thomas Schippers conducting the New York Philharmonic in Mr. Sergei Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky and Mr. Modest Mussorgski's (well, with a helping hand from Mr. Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov) Pictures at an Exhibition

DRJay, does she forget the words or tunes?  

Pace, DRJay, but with the Mussorgsky, don't you mean Mr Ravel's helping hand?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2004, 09:11:01 AM »

Do you consider Eddie Sauter among the finest orchestrators? I don't know a lot about orchestrating, but I know what I like* and can often identify orchestrators. I especially enjoy the sound of the albums to which Sauter's name is attached (Promenade, Milk and Honey, The Apple Tree and, especially, It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman).

DRD-I-T,  Eddie Sauter's genius is evident, I think in two scores:  THE APPLE TREE, in which he makes his 25-28 piece orchestra sound like three different bands for the three one-acts and 1776, which is such an anomaly for a former jazz man.   PROMENADE is scored for ( I recall )  violin, bass, clarinet, flute, trumpet, trombone, piano and percussion, and it's scoring is transparent and light when called for, and very full when it needs to be.  Mr Sauter was a very talented individual.

PROMENADE is one of my favorite pieces; I always said it was like a version of CANDIDE written by an absurdist like Ionesco.  Some of the Waitress' flights of coloratura owe a great deal, I think, to Mr Bernstein's 1956 score and OBC recording.  Whatever happened to some of that cast, like Misses I and O?  I saw Ty McConnell in THE FANTASTICKS at Playhouse in the Park in 1964, and he died of AIDS in the mid-1980s.  I saw the actor who sang  "Little Fool" (Mr R?) and Pamela Hall, one of Madeline Kahn's replacements, on tour in 1776, which was not so good as the Broadway production, but the original cast was stupendous.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2004, 09:14:39 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]

Page 2 Dance!  Dance, Poolboy!

[/move]  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2004, 09:17:09 AM »

And Sauter's orchestrations for 1776 are wonderful, too.  He also wrote a terrific film score to Arthur Penn's Mickey One, and has a masterpiece of a jazz album he wrote and orchestrated for Stan Getz, called Focus.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2004, 09:18:23 AM »

I know I've never seen the real version of THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS. I remember watching a heavily edited version on the CBS LATE MOVIE in the 1970s and not caring much for it, but that's an unfair judgment based on an edited version chopped up by endless commercials. I'll look forward to seeing the real thing at some point in the near future.

Also, it's a scope film, so you were missing half the image as well.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2004, 09:19:03 AM »

I'm going to have to go buy Love me Tonight now, because I've never seen it and everyone says it's brilliant.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2004, 09:41:21 AM »

Car CD player: "Give Me Jesus" by Bruce Ewing.

None of the other music/video devices are hooked up.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2004, 09:45:44 AM »

Pace, DRJay, but with the Mussorgsky, don't you mean Mr Ravel's helping hand?

Yep, it was Ravel, not Rimsky-Korsakov.  Mea culpa.  Original post has been modified.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2004, 09:51:32 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Another sinus-y day for me, but not too bad...  In any case...

It's another beautiful Fall day here in Richmond.  Great light.

I finally got my travel itinerary for my trip to Houston on Monday.  I'll be flying out from Washington National (DCA), which is good since it will allow me to drive to up to Fairfax on Sunday night and catch up with my family before heading to Texas.  -Plus, they can also watch my car for me and start it up every now and then.

I need to get some laundry done this afternoon, and I want to make one more pass through the The Producers book.  Hopefully, I can multi-task those two items.

In the meantime, I'm vegging out with "The Young & The Restless", and some Ben & Jerrry's Ice Cream - Di's Candy Drawer - it's an all right flavor, but I probably won't buy it again.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2004, 10:12:06 AM »

PROMENADE is also one of my favorites.  I saw the original production but MadelineKahn was out of it already.  All of Al Carmines' shows have great scores, and I wish he wasn't almost forgotten today.

Re THE  MOTHERS-IN-LAW on DVD - only 4 episodes so far from Video Steve... a catalogue of classic tv shows not "officially" released.

Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2004, 10:34:03 AM »

I'm going to have to go buy Love me Tonight now, because I've never seen it and everyone says it's brilliant.

You are in for a treat!  I don't even want to say what there is in it that you will like, because each scene brings a surprise.  I am awaiting the DVD from Amazon.

Likewise, I think I'll have to go out and pick up Promanade since everyone is talking that one up, too.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2004, 10:44:00 AM »

So yesterday, after my interview for the new FLY DVD, the director of the interview (my old Video store friend) showed me two scenes that were shot for The Fly that were cut from the original film and that I had never seen before.  Both were based on variant scenes that were in my original script.  One where a Goldblum sprouts a fly leg out of his side; the other where the machine, using a monkey and a cat, produces a monkey-cat hybrid.

Unfortunately, Cronenberg may not allow him to put the cut scenes on the DVD as extras.

My pal also gave me a 2-disc collector's edition DVD of MASTER & COMMANDER with all the extras he produced on it.  So I may have to get into that sometime this weekend.

I also  have a DVD of a Michael Caine movie SHINER that I picked up.

CDs...I'm listening to Live At the Longview which is Ian Tyson doing cowboy songs and my Prince of Foxes soundtrack by Alfred Newman.

Last night the Lovely Wife and I went to see a production of Richard III done in a lovely theatre in Barnsdall Park that few actually know exists.  The company is called the Independent Shakespeare Company and we saw them last July fourth when they did free Shakespeare  in the open air amphitheatre of The Park.  

They are a no frills company "exploring the conditions facing a performing troupe in Shakespeare's time, not as a limitation but as an opportunity for the most intense collaboration between the actors and the audience."

Basically this means there is very minimal costuming, set design,or lighting.  They are a very unusual company...in last night's production we had British, Italian, Hispanic and American performers.  There is an amalgamation of accents.  Everyone in the cast doubles or triples roles...women sometime play men.

The summer production we saw...a comedy, Two Gentleman of Verona, worked very well and was quite charming.  This Richard III also was, in its unique way, charming and eminently watchable, if not always my idea of Shakespeare.  

Part of my problem... a little one...was that Richard III is probably my favourite Shakespeare, I know it very well, and I have very definite ideas and concepts regarding the play.  So it took some time for me to wrench my frame of reference and preconceived notions around and the let the production's  unique and often original staging work on me.

It often succeeded and I had a good night at the theatre.  That said I'm not sure the play ever had the power I feel it should have, though it gained in power in the second act.  

Both Julieanne and I felt Richard emphasized wrong phrases and words in his speeches, which affected meaning and subtlety.  But he also had somesurprisingly wonderful moments.  

I also felt that it was very hard for some of the foreign performers to play against the natural rhythms of their native languages and so very often the verse speaking got very dodgy. At times, almost decipherable. But on the other hand, portions of the play were clearer and more accesible than I have ever heard it.  The duel between Richard and Hastings was very cleverly staged.

The Richard/Anne wooing scene is the yardstick by which I measure this play.  It is one of the most amazing scenes ever written.  In space of a few short minutes, Richard manages to convinced a woman whose husband he has slain, a woman who hates him, to marry him at the end of the scene.  

I think the scene works because of an undercurrent of sexuality and lurking attraction.  Both Richard and Anne are sharp witty people.  Despite the intensity of her hatred, I think Anne must delight in the wordplay and badinage she engages in with him.  She must be subconsciously attracted to this very dynamic man is should be attractive and charming (on the surface) despite his deformities.  

It's a very tough scene to do successfully.  It did not work for me last night.  Anne rushed her whole scene and had no sex about her.

On the other hand, the scene of Richard wooing Elizabeth for her daughter's hand worked better than I've ever seen it done.  Elizabeth, who has always been something of a thankless cypher in this play for me, was strong and wonderful and quite memorable.

Margaret was all-one-note, started at fever-pitch, and had no where to go, which left her screeching with little breath control.  and the Italian accent didn't help matters.

Who am I?  George Jean Nathan all of sudden?  In any event, they are a very fascinating company whose work is always interesting, if not always pristinely polished, and we will attend future productions with anticipation.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2004, 10:53:23 AM »

Next you'll be telling me we share the same Alma Mater.

You and my brother shared Alma Mahler?

And Sauter's orchestrations for 1776 are wonderful, too.  

I am also a big fan of his 1776 orchestrations, as well as the ones for SUPERMAN.  (Somewhere along the line, I read something -- Peter Filichia's column, perhaps? -- that mentioned that some local newscast in some lower third market actually used the opening measures of the SUPERMAN overture as their throbbing "isn't the world of broadcast journalism fascinating and fast-paced?" intro music.)

Media Check:
Car (still w/o CD player):  Old mix tape
Office:  Have gotten back into the Showtune station on AOL.
DVD: Empty
VCR:  LOST, SURIVIVOR and APPRENTICE, all for the Dear Partner.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2004, 10:54:13 AM »

Did your friend say when The Fly SE will be coming out?

Jay

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2004, 11:02:23 AM »

You and my brother shared Alma Mahler?

Yep.  Gustav, Walter, Franz, Noel and me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2004, 11:10:29 AM »

Books - The new Ethan Mordeen "The Happiest Corpse I've Ever Seen" covering musicals from the last 23 years.  (His volume on the 30s musicals comes out in March which will complete the series).
Aha!  Two more books to add to my "must" list.    

I've often wondered why the book on the 30s has been delayed...and delayed, and delayed.  My bet is that he's going to comment on the interplay between Broadway and Hollywood during that decade, which called for his doing extra research.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2004, 11:11:46 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
@ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @
[/move]
1000th Post!
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
@ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @
[/move]
Happy Double-Deus to you!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2004, 11:16:07 AM »

Mr. Thomas Schippers conducting the New York Philharmonic in ... Mr. Modest Mussorgsky's (well, with a helping hand from Mr. Maurice Ravel) Pictures at an Exhibition
Fine as Mr. Ravel's orchestrations are, I still prefer the original version of Pictures, on solo piano.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2004, 11:24:05 AM »

As mentioned earlier this week, L'il Abner was in the car's CD player.

But I haven't been watching much of anything else.

I have been skimming through Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page's Dining Out, their book on restaurants and critics.  It's one of the best books written on the craft of criticism, a good read that by extention applies to criticism of all the arts.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2004, 11:24:52 AM »

No...Friend did not say when The Fly would be coming out.  But he said he's send me a DVD when it did.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2004, 11:25:16 AM »

There are lots of chicken farms in Delaware.

There's lots of air pollution in those parts of Delaware, too!   :o

Ben

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2004, 11:29:15 AM »

Coincidence time. In my long morning post I mentioned that Anthony had brought in a DVD from the Long Island library. It was an early film musical with McDonald and Chevalier but I couldn't remember the name since it was so early in the morning. That little DVD is Love Me Tonight (which has been mentioned more than once since my post). He has already watched it and says it's wonderful. We will watch it this weekend.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2004, 11:33:29 AM »

Friend did not say when The Fly would be coming out.

Where's TCB when you need him?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2004, 11:34:17 AM »

And where are some of our other friends? Has anyone heard from td?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2004, 11:49:39 AM »

When I go to the recording office, I plan on listening to HAINES HIS WAY, and possibly THE GIRL WHO CAME TO SUPPER, because I haven't yet determined if I think it's first-rate Noel Coward or not; my last opinion:  third-rate, except for Tessie O'Shea.

In the summer of 1964 I worked as an office boy in New York. One of the managers I schmoozed with was the source of all sorts of musical theatre gossip. I remember him telling me that Noël Coward hadn't written about half of The Girl Who Came To Supper. That makes sense, since I do think the score mixes first-rate and third-rate. (Could Coward really have written the hopelessly unwitty "Sir or Ma'am?") This same fellow also told me that he was trying to develop a one-woman show for Barbara Cook. He predicted that she would become extremely famous, and remembered more for her work as a mature singer than as an ingénue. This was in 1964, when Barbara Cook's career appeared to be in decline; her most recent performance had been as Sandy Dennis's replacement in Any Wednesday.

Jay

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2004, 12:46:07 PM »

I should mention that I saw Movin' Out last night at the historic and beautifully restored Pantages Theatre in the heart of Hollywood, California, U.S. of A.

By intermission time, I was rather unimpressed.  Two of the three male leads were danced by swings.  (A writer to the Los Angeles Times last week noted that all five leads were played by swings the night he went.)  The dancing and Twyla Tharp's choreography were ordinary, and the absurdly overamplified music destroyed any hope of making out most of Billy Joel's lyrics.  

The second half was an improvement.  The story seemed a bit tighter and the dance more compelling.  Holly Cruikshank (who was divine as The Woman in the Yellow Dress when Contact played here a few years ago) was impressive as Brenda (the girl who goes from one boyfriend to another in the first act); her legs must be eight feet long.  Sam Franke (one of the swings) as Tony (the boyfriend Brenda ends up with) was more than easy on the eye.  He even danced pretty well.  Ron Todorowski, however, was astounding as Eddie.  Tharp demands extraordinary athleticism from Eddie for much of his time on stage in the second act, and Todorowski supplied plenty of it.  The music was just as loud in Act 2, however, and I'm surprised Mr. Joel allows the sound design to get in the way of his lyrics.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2004, 12:55:00 PM »

I should mention that I saw Movin' Out last night at the historic and beautifully restored Pantages Theatre in the heart of Hollywood, California, U.S. of A.

Our historic and beautifully restored Pantages Theatre was renamed "The Canon" a number of years later, when that company put up big bucks. Let's hope that doesn't happen to yours.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2004, 12:58:18 PM »

I'm tired. The library's only copy of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead has been checked out. I'm tired.

That's all I have to say.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2004, 01:01:58 PM »

I guess everyone's heard that the Plymouth and the Royale in NY are being renamed after Gerald Schoenfeld and Bernard Jacobs.  I'm not crazy about the spate of theatre name changes we've had in the past five years or so, but the above names are vastly preferable to the Dow Chemical Playhouse or the Wal-Mart Theater.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2004, 01:02:29 PM »

Like my brother, I have been remiss in menitoning my thoughts about "BROADWAY: The Golden Age."

I enjoyed it very much, don't get me wrong, but was left a bit perplexed as to what the fuss has been about.  (OK, except for the Laurette Taylor clip....)

What it made me realize was that I had already seen this, basically, but in print.  Several years ago, we picked up a copy of "It Happened on Broadway" a piece of non-fiction by the same authors of "It Happened in the Catskills" (which is a must read for anyone who has ever uttered the word "kibitz.")  I believe the authors names are, ironically enough, Frommer.

Well, their book is precisely what the movie is.....stars from that age talking about their experiences were on Broadway during that "golden age."

Well, except the part where Lainie Kazan and Michele Lee (who knew that they lived in the Dear Partner's former apartment building, the Whitby?) re-hash the Detroit SEESAW debacle.  That wasn't in the Frommer's book.

It was in Ken Mandelbaum's A CHORUS LINE AND THE MUSICALS OF MICHAEL BENNETT.

OK, so maybe I am the only show queen that commits volumes such as these to memory.  (I am not, though.  I know of at least one other.  Dear Partner John.  And maybe that's what has made the last 13.5 years so much fun!)

At any rate, I didn't feel that there was much unchartered water covered in the movie.

I liked it an awful lot.  But I didn't love it.

Favorite moment?  Easy:  Miss Lansbury and all those red-jacketed chorus members.  Heaven.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up