Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MINDLESS NOTES  (Read 2426 times)

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
Re: MINDLESS NOTES
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2021, 11:25:47 AM »

THREE!!!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2021, 11:54:00 AM »

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2021, 12:27:50 PM »

Loved The Parallax View. I'm surprised it got no Oscar nominations and not much love at the time. Gordon Willis' cinematography is just perfect. It was certainly relevant in the aftermath of the assassinations of the Kennedys, but it is also sadly all too relevant in the days of QAnon, etc.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2021, 12:58:54 PM »

This was a bad Fancy Feast night.  All three cats rebelled and refused top eat their dinners.  Well, as Marie Antoinette would say, let them eat kibble.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2021, 01:14:59 PM »

That's amazing. I'm trying remember back to when we had three (5+ years ago), if that ever happened. I don't think so.

ChasSmith

« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2021, 01:17:14 PM »

Email received today --

Subj:  Huge_Tummy

I didn't read further. That much is bad enough. How do they know??

John G.

« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2021, 02:05:09 PM »

Email received today --

Subj:  Huge_Tummy

I didn't read further. That much is bad enough. How do they know??

Bastards!
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2021, 02:06:31 PM »

Got a pot of Sweet Potato-Lentil Soup on the stove. Smells wonderful with lemon juice and fresh ginger in it. High hopes.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2021, 02:07:38 PM »

Starting to watch Un ballo en maschera. Never seen it. Liking the music a lot so far.
― Voltaire

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2021, 02:28:28 PM »

I had a very strange dream that I was riding a bus with former DR Ben down Main Street in Middletown, Ohio.  We were going to the new offices of the Middletown Journal at the corner of Main Street and First Avenue.  For some reason on the bus ride Ben and I were sitting in different sections of the bus.  I was in the back and my walker kept getting hung up on things. I was wearing the pajamas I wear around the apartment these days when I don't have to step out, and I had top pull my pants up amd I missed the bus stop.  The next stop was the McCoy Loeffler funeral hime at First Avenue and Verity Parkway, so I struggled with my walker and raced back to Main Street, where Ben was waiting for me on the porch of the building, which incidentally was the former office of my optometrist Dr Nesbit, who gave me my first pair of glasses when I was around seven years old.

It turns out for some reason the Middletown Journal and Radio station WPFB were presenting  the first viewing in 50 years or more of a televised version of Alice in Wonderland, and we were there as some sort of press corp.

If I may ask, whatever happened to DR Ben?

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2021, 02:29:57 PM »

Good Afternoon - been home from church, Target and have the first 2 of 4 loads of laundry in.  I have 2nd Trimester grades to enter (all P's, very easy) and some cleaning up to do in the apartment. 

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2021, 02:34:29 PM »

Three nice basketball games this afternoon.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2021, 02:40:08 PM »

DR Jane as of now I am not taking my neighbor for his covid test. The set-up to sign up is very good. And there are a lot of appointments open.  But it's only for 80+ right now.  It should hopefully open to 70 soon.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2021, 02:44:10 PM »

Oh I certainly won't be watching the golden Globe Awards.....they were the second to fall off my list a few years ago.....the Grammy Awards went first......
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2021, 03:45:54 PM »

DR Jane as of now I am not taking my neighbor for his covid test. The set-up to sign up is very good. And there are a lot of appointments open.  But it's only for 80+ right now.  It should hopefully open to 70 soon.

I thought maybe taking someone older & unrelated would increase your chances of getting gifted the vaccination.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2021, 04:14:32 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - nine and a half hours of needed sleep.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2021, 04:15:36 PM »

I had to have a telephonic conversation right away, which was fine, and then I went next door and we entered the corrections for the book and now I'll give it a final skim to make sure we got everything and then his part of this is done.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2021, 04:16:09 PM »

Just ordered a Chinese chicken salad for food. Should be here in forty minutes, then I'll relax until the Zoom meet and greet.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2021, 04:43:10 PM »

Question for BK:

When you research movies and theaters, do you go through just the Sunday Calendar for each week, or do you check other individual days? I'm guessing that for some revival houses and neighborhood showings it'll be necessary to include the latter. I just know that the couple of times I've gotten into this, the L.A. Times and Calendar are such a monster that I eventually hit a wall and have to stop. It's remarkably time consuming - unless perhaps you've devised shortcuts.

I tried doing the Sunday Calendar thing but it was way too unwieldy for me. When searching anything pre-70s, I go right to Wednesday, which was when movies opened back then. I just skip to each Wednesday and that makes it pretty easy. Post-70s, Fridays.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2021, 04:43:39 PM »

Waiting for food - usually doesn't take this long from Stanley's, which is literally five minutes away.

John G.

« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2021, 05:41:35 PM »

Tuning in to a concert of harp vs. harp. One is autoharp. It's fun.
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2021, 06:11:38 PM »

It has been a beautiful day here.  The high was 58 degrees and the sunset was lovely.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2021, 07:03:18 PM »

Good night, everyone.

ChasSmith

« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2021, 07:34:36 PM »

There must have been some Parallax in the air today, because I watched it, too, this evening.

So damned satisfying after wanting for years to see it again. The second half gets a little slippery, but I’ll be back for more in the coming days. The cast is incredible, and holy cow, what an intense role for Paula Prentiss.

The only extra I’ve watched is the short thing with Alex Cox which had me dumbfounded. It’s one of the best 15-minute takes on “conspiracy” issues of the 60s I’ve heard, even including a stunning heretofore unknown (to me) wrinkle relating to the JFK assassination.

John G.

« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2021, 07:54:16 PM »

There must have been some Parallax in the air today, because I watched it, too, this evening.

So damned satisfying after wanting for years to see it again. The second half gets a little slippery, but I’ll be back for more in the coming days. The cast is incredible, and holy cow, what an intense role for Paula Prentiss.

The only extra I’ve watched is the short thing with Alex Cox which had me dumbfounded. It’s one of the best 15-minute takes on “conspiracy” issues of the 60s I’ve heard, even including a stunning heretofore unknown (to me) wrinkle relating to the JFK assassination.

That Kilgallen bit? Yup. Pretty sobering anecdote.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2021, 07:56:56 PM »

Well, I loved most every minute of Act 1 and Act 3 of Un Ballo in maschera. Act 2 had its moments, but the drama was a little better than the music. Still, the Met's production and especially baritone Dmiti Hvorostovsky were wonderful. The orchestra was really worked up into a lather. I'm going to try to find some other productions online for a comparison.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2021, 08:04:06 PM »

Well, there are thunderstorms in the forecast. I hope the power stays on.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2021, 08:04:31 PM »

More for the sleep mask than for the heat. It's still around 70 degrees.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2021, 08:04:41 PM »

Onward
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up