Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: HAGIOGRAPHY  (Read 14288 times)

Ben

Re: HAGIOGRAPHY
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2009, 03:05:01 AM »

And with that we move to Page 2

Ben

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2009, 03:06:07 AM »

Bag packing for me today and then, even though I'm on vacation I have to attend an office function related to the "retirement" of some staff members.

We also have friends visiting from Northern Ireland and we may get together with them this week.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2009, 04:10:18 AM »

Good morning, all! I was in bed by 9:30 and the alarm woke me up at 6 this morning. I slept quite well and I'm about to begin a few jobs here before my day takes me around the neighborhood and then down to the studio. We're revording at Avatar on 53rd. Yesterday, after the show, I went backstage to see my friend David Gursky who conducted all of this week while Rob Berman was doing the Kennedy Center Awards in DC. David did a fantastic job yesterday, and he was the principal reason I saw the show yesterday.

Backstage, the orchestra room was in a flurry of activity, with all the music being loaded up to go to the studio. Red Press, onee of my favorite people, was there with his wife to insure tha everything got taken to Avatar, and Josh Clayton and Anna, our harpist, got everything packed away into a rolling trunk. Then Joshie, Anna, Red and his wife headed out for a taxi to deliver the orchestra parts to Avatar Studio. Red's first Broadway show was playing reeds for the original production of GYPSY, and I consider him the foremost Broadway contractor of the past 30 years, if not longer.  I love him dearly and his wife and I were joking that we actually saw each other in Manhattan; we usually meet when Red and I are working on a project for the Library of Congress. I've really got to take Red out for dinner and ask him about every show he ever played on.

So, that's my day. And I will have a further report tomorrow. I suspect that by the time I get in tonight I will be too tired to be really chatty.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2009, 04:13:19 AM »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Birthday To My Beloved Nursie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOD:
  First horror film: THE HORROR OF DRACULA with Christopher Lee; it scared the bejeezus out of me and I had nightmares for weeks. I wore a crucifix for several weeks as well to keep vampires away,
  First sci fi: FORBIDDEN PLANET; I was madly in love with Robby the Robot.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2009, 04:38:57 AM »

Happy birthday to Jane!
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2009, 04:41:35 AM »

I'm not sure what my first horror movie was.  Maybe HOUSE OF WAX?

However, I'm almost positive that the first sci-fi movie was THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS, followed the next year by THEM!

You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2009, 04:46:00 AM »

DR TCB, I am very sympathetic to your cough problems. I'm still dealing with it and going on five weeks now!

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2009, 05:12:21 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Jane!

Hopefully you'll be in less pain and maybe you'll be able to have a bite of cake!

Feel better!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2009, 05:26:07 AM »

And the word of the day is: RHOPALIC!

And The Song Of The Day Is: THE LAST DANCE

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2009, 05:31:11 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR JANE!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2009, 05:31:38 AM »

Vibes to DR ELMORE and the cast as they record FINIAN'S RAINBOW for posterity - which means US!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2009, 05:35:21 AM »

Chaps
Who once wrote pap
Are now writing
Hagiography.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2009, 05:36:58 AM »

Since I have my car back - I can do my Monday errands on Monday.  We had a slight dusting of snow, still some on the ground, but none on the streets.

I am still happy about TAR finale last night, but I am not looking forward to the "star" version next time around which will feature a group of "reality" stars, I guess.....including the stupid MAP blonde from you tube.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2009, 05:38:02 AM »

I shall have to think about the TOD:

but I too probably will say FORBIDDEN PLANET for sci fi - although I saw several sci fi television series, my favorite still being ROCKY JONES, SPACE RANGER.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2009, 05:43:43 AM »

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND FAST HEALING TO DR JANE

Ginny

« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2009, 05:52:42 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  We have some decorative snow today and the skies are very gray - wonder if we'll get more?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2009, 05:53:26 AM »

Happy birthday to DR Jane - this is one you'll remember for a long time!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2009, 05:54:32 AM »

... I have to attend an office function related to the "retirement" of some staff members....

DR Ben, please extend my good wishes to the folks I know who are "retiring."

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2009, 05:55:44 AM »

DR Elmore - I am so thrilled about today's recording session and looking forward to hearing the results.  Have fun, fun, fun (as Eloise would say).

Ben

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2009, 06:01:57 AM »

... I have to attend an office function related to the "retirement" of some staff members....

DR Ben, please extend my good wishes to the folks I know who are "retiring."

Will do Ginny!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2009, 06:03:50 AM »

Last night, DR td wrote:

. . .and I just watched it tonight!

I can understand why the show is losing viewers, I don't think that it has enough story to be a continuing series.  Having read the novel which it is inspired by, I think that the premise calls out for a miniseries, just not a season-by-season show.  Right now, at its mid-season mark, there is still enough story left to finish out a season, but, I cannot see the point in trying to be a long-running series.

That said, I find it one of the fastest paced shows on television and really, really look forward to the next installment.

Who said DEXTER is losing viewers? The last I read, it was SHowtime's highest rated series and was still pulling in the viewers for them. Where did you read otherwise?

Of course, I haven't read the books, but from what I understand, they're not slavishly following them for storylines. They're embarking on their own tangents. But you would know more about that than I would seeing as how you have read the books.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Julie

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2009, 06:17:31 AM »

Good morning everyone.

Julie

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2009, 06:18:11 AM »

Congratulations to BK and Kritzerland on the new release.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2009, 06:18:40 AM »

If you write your own hagiography, is it an autohagiography?
The first horror movie I ever saw was "What's the Matter With Helen?" with Shelley Winters, Debbie Reynolds and Dennie Weaver. I can still see the scene of the dead rabbits everywhere and of someone falling under a tractor. Scared the stuffing out of me.
First science fiction I don't remember, but it must have been one of the weekly Godzilla movies that were shown on TV at the time. I enjoyed those as a kid, but I have rarely liked any science fiction movie since my teens. Instead of the "Star Wars" type of movie, I prefer those alternate/futuristic universe stories like "Dark City," "Children of Men" or "Blade Runner."
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Julie

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2009, 06:19:32 AM »

I'm so happy that Finian's Rainbow is being recorded.  Have a wonderful time at the recording session, DR elmore.  I look forward to your report of it.

Julie

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2009, 06:27:10 AM »

~~~~~~~~~A very very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our Jane!!!!!!!~~~~~~~~~

Kerry

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2009, 06:31:40 AM »

The bestest and pain free-est of birthdays to our lovely, Jane!!!
I like boat races.

FJL

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2009, 06:32:31 AM »

Happy happy birthday to DR Jane

FJL

« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2009, 06:32:52 AM »

BK - congrats on the new release

Kerry

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2009, 06:37:11 AM »

TOD-- I saw lots of horror films at kiddie matinees, on TV and at the drive-in, but the first one that really scared me,  I think, was a very odd, very cheap  movie called. "Carnival of Souls."  It gave me the creeps.  I saw it some 30 years later, and it still gave me the creeps.  I didn't think it was a good movie (or even all that coherent), but it certainly set a creepy mood.

As far as monsters go, it would probably be the monsters in "The Time Machine" with Rod Taylor or "The Magic Sword" with Gary Lockwood.
I like boat races.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up