Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: WET NOTES  (Read 34112 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:WET NOTES
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2007, 08:42:24 AM »

DR Jose - a Washington Metro question:  For our ALA conference later this month, one of my coworkers and her family will be staying near the Vienna metro station.  How long should she expect it to take her from there to the Washington Convention Center?  It looks like she'll have to transfer, too.

Well...

The Vienna Station is the last station on the Orange Line in Virginia.  I'd say anywhere from 35-45 minutes from downtown DC.  Just depends how fast the transfers go.

Will the conference be at the old Convention Center, or the new one.... Oh, nevermind, I just remembered that the old Convention Center has been torn down.  In any case...

She would have to take the Green Line from the Mt. Vernon/UDC station (towards Huntington), and then transfer to the Orange Line at the L'Enfant Plaza Station (towards Vienna).

Or, if she wanted to "explore" more of the DC Metro system, she could take the Green Line down one stop to Chinatown/Gallery Place, hop on the Red Line, go one more stop to Metro Center, and then hop on the Orange Line to Vienna there.  ;)

She could also take that cheap bus (50 cents) that loops from the Convention Center to Metro Center (and Arena Stage), and then just hop on the Orange Line (to Vienna) at Metro Center.

*However, if she has the time - and the weather is nice, and she's not carrying too much stuff - she could also walk down from the Convention Center to Metro Center.  It's really not that far.

Just make sure she keeps track of what time of day she's traveling as that will affect how much she'll have to put on her MetroCard.

And to make sense out of what I just typed:

WMATA TRIP PLANNER

And here's their handy-dandy clickable system map:

SYSTEM MAP
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2007, 08:46:19 AM »

PAGE FOUR DC METRO DANCE

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2007, 08:47:18 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]* * * * *  LEASE SIGNING VIBES FOR DR ELMORE  * * * * *[/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2007, 08:49:11 AM »

Here is the photo with Zach on the right....some sharp-eyed HHW'er from NYC might recognize the show....  ;D

OH!  I know!  I know! -And I think I might know Zach too - just from auditions, that is.

Do you know, DR JRand?  Or are you looking for the answer?
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2007, 08:51:27 AM »

DR Jose - thank you so much for all the info.  I will print it for myself and for my coworker.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2007, 08:55:58 AM »

LOL....I am looking for the answer, DR JOSE.  

Next time you see Zach say hello from me....Jackrandall from good ol' Putnam County Playhouse.
....it has an undertaste.....

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2007, 09:01:16 AM »

So I received by e-mail at midnight a completely changed script for the show I am stage managing four hours from now. yay.....
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2007, 09:01:48 AM »

Will take pictures of the event today :)
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2007, 09:02:10 AM »

So I received by e-mail at midnight a completely changed script for the show I am stage managing four hours from now. yay.....

Welcome the The Thea-tah!!!  ;D

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2007, 09:02:51 AM »

Here is the photo with Zach on the right....some sharp-eyed HHW'er from NYC might recognize the show....  ;D

My den rug is in that play!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2007, 09:18:57 AM »

DR JRand - Well, I guess I don't have an answer for you.  I had a different play, and a different Tony-award winning actress in my head.  However, I do believe I have spotted Zach at an audition or two. Sorry.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2007, 09:20:44 AM »

CD: Fats Waller & Louis Jordan

DVD: THE THREE MUSKETEERS, an old BBC mini, B & W, with Jeremy Brett and Brian Blessed.  THE MURDER ROOMS, Conan Doyle and Dr. Joseph Bell, portrayed by old pal Ian Richardson, solve mysteries.  A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM, RSC production with Alex Jennings and Lindsey Duncan.

On the nightstand:  ROUGH SHOOTING, by P.C. Wren

The FIREBRAND OF FLORENCE, elmore?  The musical version of the Edwin Justus play, THE FIREBRAND about Cellini?  I'm impressed.

singdaw

« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2007, 09:21:17 AM »

Omnibus Catch-up Post:

DRs Edisaurus and FJL - loved, loved, LOVED the Flan's Labyrinth! :)

DR JoseSPiano - Congrats again on ACL!  Jayson did not follow through on his promise/threat regarding the "dip," but if anyone ever DID, I would suspect that LOADS of garlic AND dill MIGHT make it palatable.  Or tolerable, even if you used it as a face cream, DR der Brucer!

CONGRATULATIONS to what must be a very relieved DR DearReaderLaura on bathroom completion!

Thanks, DR SwishySarah for the travelogue from Europe!  It was a mini-vacation just to read it.

DR Adriana Patti, break a leg with your show!  I once stage managed a production of A Little Night Music - and loved it every night when we'd get to the line: Where the HELL is the stage manager!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]***LEASE-SIGNING VIBES***[/size][/color][/move]
to DR elmore3003

***travel vibes***[/size][/color]
to DR Dan (the Man) this afternoon!

TOD:
car CD:  Curtains!  and  the HHW Birthdays compilation [thanks again, DR Tomovoz!]
home CD:  Coco
DVD:  the "how-to" that came with the new Cuisinart food processor...
And soon - once I figure out how it works - the DVR!  Which is now, at least, connected.

Looking forward very much to the Tony "do" on Sunday.  :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 09:32:06 AM by singdaw »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2007, 09:22:55 AM »

DR Jose - thank you so much for all the info.  I will print it for myself and for my coworker.

You're welcome.  *Be sure to remind your friend to check for service advisories - especially on the weekends.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2007, 09:25:45 AM »

My den rug is in that play!

Maybe it will get an Obie nomination!  ;D

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2007, 09:27:16 AM »

DR JRand - Well, I guess I don't have an answer for you.  I had a different play, and a different Tony-award winning actress in my head.  However, I do believe I have spotted Zach at an audition or two. Sorry.  :-\

Possibly....though I don't think singing is his strongest suit!  Thanks anyway.....   ;D

Jennifer

« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2007, 09:28:22 AM »

DR Jennifer - Breathe.  :)

I actually didn't mind how the show was focused last night on the "winners" and the "losers".  As for some of the "questionable winners", I have to to wonder if that's a ploy by the producers to get those contestants to step it up and get their acts together for the live rounds. -I'm sure they're all going to watch themselves - and listen to the judges' comments.  And, heck, it will make for some good TV in the coming weeks.  I hope.

As for the "losers" who were featured, I think they just wanted to give them a chance to tell their stories, as it were.  They worked hard, they had dealt with some amazing obstacles, and they would have made it had there been room for one or two more people in the finals.

However, what I've always liked about "SYTYCD?" is that there no "Paula" or "Randy" on the judging panel.  They tell it like it is.  They have no qualms telling the contestants that they did not like what they just saw.  Is being brutally honest always the best thing?  Well...  However, it's much better than half-ass, half-sincere critiques.

My favorite part last year about the "las vegas" portion of the show was that we got to see so much of the dancing.  I loved getting to watch everyone learn every style.  This season i feel like they've american idolized it and we got 1 hour of telling people yes or no, instead of getting to see each contestant dance.

Maybe other people don't care, but i despise seeing people do their first audition and then not get to see them again until they are announced on the show.  I mean what did benji's sister do in las vegas? What did that guy danny (is he travis' brother) do? (the one they said was brilliant but with an attitude). If he is so brilliant why did i not get to see him at all in vegas?

I appreciate hearing the story of the girl who lost her arm.  But i'll bet people would have loved her on the top 20.

I also don't get why they chose so many people who can't do any couples work and who can't do anything other than their own style. The show is almost all couples work. And it's almost all being able to do every other style. I get putting through one person who can't do either of those. But it seems like they put many through who will not work on this show at all.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2007, 09:29:05 AM »

Since I don't know what play this scene is from, I'll make one up:

It's from I HATE A THOUSAND CLOWNS, in which a high school drama teacher is forced by the principal to mount the Herb Gardner play for the fourth year in a row.  In this scene, she takes out her frustration on the two students playing the leads.
-- Anaïs Nin

singdaw

« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2007, 09:30:56 AM »

I don't follow Grey's Anatomy, but thought this was interesting:

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Isaiah Washington has lost his job on the hit ABC medical drama "Grey's Anatomy," five months after creating a furor with his use of an anti-gay slur.

Washington's contract option was not renewed for next season, series producer ABC Television Studios said Thursday.

"I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore," Washington said in a statement released through his publicist, Howard Bragman, without elaboration.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »

Possibly....though I don't think singing is his strongest suit!  Thanks anyway.....   ;D

Well, that name, Zach Spicer, does ring a bell - albeit a very faint one.  And I may have come across him during an open call where both singers and actors were auditioning.  -I like those days - I get a nice break during the monologues.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2007, 09:33:07 AM »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2007, 09:34:30 AM »

I don't follow Grey's Anatomy, but thought this was interesting:

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Isaiah Washington has lost his job on the hit ABC medical drama "Grey's Anatomy," five months after creating a furor with his use of an anti-gay slur.

Washington's contract option was not renewed for next season, series producer ABC Television Studios said Thursday.

"I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore," Washington said in a statement released through his publicist, Howard Bragman, without elaboration.

Seems to be another day for Celebrity "News".  And the whole Paris Hilton situation just gets stupider by the second!
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2007, 09:34:30 AM »

does ring a bell - albeit a very faint one.

Is the bell related to the "tinkle tones" that emanate when you IM DR MBarnum?  :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2007, 09:35:10 AM »

Is the bell related to the "tinkle tones" that emanate when you IM DR MBarnum?  :)

No.  That's just me casting my spell.   Sssshhhh.....
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2007, 09:35:50 AM »

Actually it's a commercial for HOLD ON hairpiece glue....Hold On, apply directly to your head....Hold On, apply directly to your head...

;D

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2007, 09:36:20 AM »

Well, that name, Zach Spicer, does ring a bell - albeit a very faint one.  And I may have come across him during an open call where both singers and actors were auditioning.  -I like those days - I get a nice break during the monologues.  ;)

Well he is very easy on the eyeballs.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2007, 09:39:26 AM »

DR singdaw - As for the pureed cottage cheese... Just think of it as REALLY, REALLY lite Cream Cheese.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2007, 09:41:35 AM »

The Twisted Nerve!!!!

singdaw

« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2007, 09:43:53 AM »

That's just me casting my spell.