Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HUNGARIAN IN THE CLOSET  (Read 16110 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE HUNGARIAN IN THE CLOSET
« on: October 30, 2004, 11:59:53 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have given you goose bumps, you have given the notes goose bumps, and now it is time for you to post until the scary cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 12:00:35 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE HUNGARIAN IN THE CLOSET
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 12:28:17 AM »

It's already scary.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 01:20:18 AM »

Hmmm... "The Devil Within Her" just came on on Showtime - with Joan Collins!  Guess I'll be up for another two hours!!

:o

Well, here she is...

Presenting in all her Wal-Mart brand makeup...

You have been warned!!!!!

Imelda In Exile

Mr. DeMille... I'm ready for my close up...

AGAIN!  You have been warned!!!!

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 01:23:33 AM »

SEE!!!  I told you that was scary...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 01:24:01 AM »

Hmmm... Am I going to regret this... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 01:27:20 AM »

OH!!!

DR Panni - I heard a story on NPR yesterday about the paprika problem in Hungary right now.  Apparently, they found some toxin in some batch - apparently due to the mixing of Hungarian paprika and Mexican(?) paprika - so they've banned the sale of paprika right now.  And the restaurants are having to come up with alternatives and variations to the classic "paprikas(h)".  What the scoop from where you are?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 01:17:22 AM »

Hmmm... i guess I scared everyone away...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 01:19:16 AM »

OH!!!

I am not dressing up as Imelda in Exile this year/tonight.  Rather, I dressed up like that while I was on tour with ANYTHING GOES... So I "went".  <ba-doom chick>  I don't think I'll be dressing up tonight, but ya' never know... -It's also a two show day, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 02:36:22 AM »

BOO!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 02:36:42 AM »

I see Panni!  I see MBarnum!

-Now I want to your Halloween costume!
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 04:21:30 AM »

Good morning, all!  Halloween always reminds me of that great duet in PATIENCE:
   Sing Boo to you!
   Pooh, pooh to you!

So boo to all of you!

It's around 7:15 am, formerly 6:15, and it takes my mind and body a couple of weeks to adjust each time this occurs.  I've got banking to do, treats to purchase, some blank CDs and jewel cases to purchase, and some housecleaning.  I'm having a visit from DRBen and Anthony aka Baxter the Clown this afternoon.  Last week I received a delightful pop-up get well card from them and today's a visit.  Isn't that too too?

Sing boo to you
Too too to you!

Happy Halloween.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004, 06:03:35 AM »

Happy Halloween!

Well my light bright pumpkin looks awesome.  I originally bought the kit cause I wanted the light to put inside my pumpkin.  But when I read the instructions, I was fascinated.  You basically use the pumpkin as you would the lite bright machine by poking the little pegs through.

OMG, it looks so awesome!  I love it.

My sis was gonna try to carve her first pumpkin ever this year. But when I told her about this she went and bought a kit too.  So I have a spider and she has a happy face (from the patterns in the kit).

Jennifer

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2004, 06:07:24 AM »

I am actually very excited to watch the Singing Detective.  But I don't think I'll get the tape till next weekend.  Today I am watching 21 Grams. And so far it's VERY confusing.  Hopefully I will start to be able to piece things together.  It is very odd how they go from past to present from scene to scene.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2004, 06:37:14 AM »

DR Noel wrote last night: "
I'm unaware that CDs of partial scores have ever been sold at Broadway theatres.  If someone knows of examples of this, I'd love to be enlightened."

When Betty Buckley took over Norma in SUNSET BOULEVARD, a CD single of her two arias from the show was on sale in the lobby. That's one partial score I'm sure of.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2004, 06:45:25 AM »

Just checking in before we leave to see the wonderful Nancy Anderson in SHE LOVES ME.  That woman is so wasted as Helen Loomis in WONDERFUL TOWN it will be ghood to see her in a role she is perferct for.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Emily

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2004, 07:05:32 AM »

Happy Halloween!

Happy Daylight Savings Day!

This morning I woke up at 9/8am and carved our familial pumpkin with my little sister.  I have discovered that I have excellent knife handling skills... whoddathunkit?
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2004, 07:18:01 AM »

For the last two weeks, we have chilly autumn weather every single day, but yesterday, the sun returned in full force and it was 80 here. Supposed to have the same today, too. Kind of late for an Indian summer, but there you are.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2004, 07:20:11 AM »

One of my projects with the PHI Musical Theatre project is a complete recording of Victor Herbert's 1912 musical THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER, Charles Dillingham's version of Cinderella for Elsie Janis and Montgomery & Stone, of THE RED MILL and THE WIZARD OF OZ.  I'd forgotten that the Prince's ball takes place on Halloween, and I've just listened to a most charming song for Cinderella, her father, and the children, "The Games of Halloween."

This is a weird show:  because of the limited voices of the three stars, Herbert never seems to blossom much vocally, although there's a charming cut number for Cinderella and the Chorus, "Jack-o-lantern Love," and a wonderful cut number for the stepsisters , "Flutter, Flutter, Little Butterfly."  A lot of the songs lie there like so much fish, but the dance music and a first act curtain pantomime, "The Ride to the Palace," are quite brilliant.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2004, 07:38:59 AM »

When I read your stories of those long ago, almost forgotten musicals, DR Elmore, I realize how many more musicals there are out there (particularly from the early part of the 20th century) that I've never heard.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2004, 07:40:34 AM »

I have a question for DRs that I'm aching to ask, but have been hesitant.  You see, I don't want to touch off a political debate on this here site, but what I want to know is - which candidate is leading in your state?

Of course those not in America wouldn't be answering, and all the DRs in New York and California: I know Kerry's leading there.

Pennsylvania, where I find myself today, is considered too close to call, but here in the Eastern part of the state, you see a lot more support for Kerry.

So, I'm hoping DRs in other states can report on who's leading, without us all arguing.  That would be too scary!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2004, 07:51:10 AM »

Yes, it's worth noting that some shows live on through their recordings.  I think I mentioned recently that, while A New Brain was a puzzlement in the theatre, on the CD you hear a score with quite a high percentage of wonderful numbers.  I play that frequently, but have very little interest in seeing the show on stage again.

A good recording may be a show's legacy.  I've not heard of any recent productions of Das Barbecu, but I know a number of us are fond of its very funny album.

The converse must also be true: There are wonderful shows that have elated many an audience out there, but they were either recorded badly or not recorded at all.  And these shows tend to get forgotten.  One example I can think of is The Robber Bridegroom, which, I feel, sounds awful on its recording.  It's better on stage.  I saw the Paul Lazarus-helmed revue Personals with a dynamite cast that included Dee Hoty and Jason Alexander.  This score didn't get recorded until a less-good London cast essayed it many years later.  An even-better revue was A...My Name Is Alice, which didn't get a complete recording.  Eventually, there was a less good sequel, and a record was made combining songs from both shows.  These revues don't get done very often, which could be contributable to the quality of those recordings.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2004, 08:15:51 AM »

When I read your stories of those long ago, almost forgotten musicals, DR Elmore, I realize how many more musicals there are out there (particularly from the early part of the 20th century) that I've never heard.

The most frustrating thing for me, DRMatth, is how many vocal scores were published between 1900 and 1940, most of which never ever turn up in used shops or eBay.  I lost a bid on aJerome Kern HAVE A HEART score about a year ago, and I'm lucky to have a photocopy, but I hardly ever see Victor Herbert scores for sale, and there were a ton of vocal scores published!  

If the foundation heading the project I'm working on ever gets the green light to release some of these recordings,  I think their melodic beauty, zip, and charm will amaze and delight.  In the meantime, Decca Broadway has released on CD its excerpts from BABES IN TOYLAND, quite nicely performed even if it does omit the score's best song, in my opinion, "Barney O'Flynn."  I'm also crazy about John McGlinn's recording of Kern's SITTING PRETTY on New World Records, and I wish EMI had recorded his NO NO NANETTE and THE CAT AND THE FIDDLE, both from concerts at the Weill Recital Hall.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 08:17:21 AM by elmore3003 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2004, 08:33:39 AM »

Hungarians - especially Lugosi and Gabor - can be very scary!

DRJOSE - you are a handsome man - but as IMELDA, oh my!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Emily

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2004, 09:08:26 AM »

DR Noel,

A professor at Princeton has created a meta-analysis of ALL major vote intention polls in the fifty states and, after some statistical massage, has posted daily on his website where the election stands.

The site is at: http://synapse.princeton.edu/~sam/pollcalc.html

Click on "probability map" next to one of the polls and you can see the country's current divisions.  The size of the states has been fiddled with so that they represent the number of electoral college votes they have.  The darker the red, the more absolute Bush will win that state.  The darker the blue, the more absolute Kerry will win that state.

Right now he has Kerry leading in electoral votes with undecideds included and Bush leading among decideds only.  

BTW - Pennsylvania is considered definitely leaning towards Kerry in both samples
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2004, 09:26:33 AM »

Well on my way to a couple of meetings and hopefully I will be back for the par-tay tonight!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2004, 09:29:51 AM »

Will anyone top dear reader Jose's VERY scary photos?  We shall all have to work very hard indeed.

Toxic Paprika is the title of my next novel.

Here it is, ten-thirty, and yet only nine thirty.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2004, 09:56:26 AM »

What's scary is that six people are just sitting there like so much fish, not posting.  This is Halloween, you dear, dear people out there in the dark.  Tell us scary things.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2004, 09:58:17 AM »

OK, here's something scary. If I don't have this proposal turned in on Tuesday, my teacher is going to send me to The Fifth Floor.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2004, 09:58:51 AM »

BOO!!!

I finally got to bed around 6:00AM... the "new" 6:00AM.. And now it's Noon - the "new" Noon - and I must now finish getting ready to head to the theatre... I hope the HHW Halloween Festivities are still in full-force by the time I get back from my second show.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2004, 10:01:30 AM »

DRJOSE - you are a handsome man - but as IMELDA, oh my!

And your point would be?!?!?!

;)

*The "key" part of that costume is not in the pics, unfortunately.  Since all of her shoes were being held in the Philippines, she had to resort to wearing some lime green fuzzy slippers.  -Oh, and I also seem to recall pink glitter nail polish!

:o

BOO!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 10:02:56 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up