Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HUNGARIAN IN THE CLOSET  (Read 16188 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE HUNGARIAN IN THE CLOSET
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2004, 10:02:43 AM »

In response to yesterday's question "What do Hungarian fags wear?", I think the answer should be "Cigarette papers."

I'm not sure about filters, though.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2004, 10:04:03 AM »

Envision those old cigarette commercials, where the pretty lady would dance around dressed like a cigarette box, showing lots of leg.

That's our page two dance!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2004, 10:11:00 AM »

Happy Halloween, everybody! I am going to dig through old photos and see if I can't find some old trick or treat shots! Unlike DR Jose, I shall not show and photos that might likely get me blackmailed.  :o

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2004, 10:17:39 AM »

Went to Portland yesterday afternoon to the Hollywood theater on Sandy Blvd and watched two (2) Godzilla movies...DESTROY ALL MONSTERS, which I haven't seen since the 1970s and INVASION OF THE ASTRO MONSTERS (a.k.a MONSTER ZERO). It was a blast seeing both movies on the big, big wide-screen! I had so much fun...and there was quite a good crowd!

After the movies were over (I think I got out of the theater at about 10:30pm) I went downtown to meet up with my buddies Jim and Terry (who evidently preferred to go drinking rather then watch Godzilla movies!). While at a bar called Scandel's I met a nice Brazilian dentist named Rodriguo. We chatted for a couple of hours and then, like Cinderella, I had to leave at midnight (well, actually 1:00 am).

All in all, a fun Saturday...but I am beat today...and I have so many things to get done today!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2004, 10:21:47 AM »

I have a question for DRs that I'm aching to ask, but have been hesitant.  You see, I don't want to touch off a political debate on this here site, but what I want to know is - which candidate is leading in your state?
Right now, Ruth Ann Minner is leading in the polls, but Bill Lee could still take it.

Oh, you're not talking about the Governor's race?

The big question in my neck of the woods is whether or not the incumbents will be tossed out of the County Council.  They've been kowtowing to the western half of the county (which is all farmland) for too long, which has resulted in rampant overdevelopment of the eastern half of the county.  "Hey, it all brings in revenue to the county" is the excuse we've been handed.  Net result, everywhere we turn there's new construction going on, lots of new housing...but no new fire stations, no new schools, no consideration about sewage, and the highways are already bottlenecked with traffic.  

In a bizarre twist (and I admit that my stories usually contain one or two), contrary to the stereotypes it is the Democrats who have pursued the overdevelopment, and their Republican opponents who are running pro-environment campaigns.

They don't call this state Delawierd for nothing.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2004, 10:39:54 AM »

Continuing the discussion of musicals living on through recordings...

I despair to think about the number of people who still believe there were no musicals written before Oklahoma, simply because Oklahoma had the first major release on records.  

This can be taken a step or two further.  Not all of the score to Oklahoma was released on the first album.  (And this was, indeed, an "album" in it's first release, consisting of several 78 rpm disks with one song per side.)  A second, smaller set of songs was released later, including the songs "Lonely Room," "It's a Scandal," and "The Farmer and the Cowman."  The "Volume Two" release didn't sell nearly as well as the first.

So, which are the less well-known songs from the score?  And which songs got dropped from the film?  Do I really have to type out their titles again?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2004, 10:42:54 AM »

And re the Sunset Blvd. four-track CD - they did one for every Norma and it was always sold in the lobby.  We included those tracks on a special version of the Petula Clark CD I did.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2004, 10:43:36 AM »

I can't wait to take a photo of myself dressed up as a fifty-six-year-old Jew.  It will be SCARY, I'm warning you.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2004, 10:43:45 AM »

"I do believe in spooks, I do believe in spooks!  I do, I do, I do!"

Whoever would have thought that the Cowardly Lion was paranoid about the CIA?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2004, 10:48:53 AM »

I won't be dressing up tonight...well, maybe that tux jacket.  At least mine doesn't have moth holes in it   ;D  ...or it didn't the last time I checked   :-\.

We are heading out, however, over to Cafe Zeus.  Chef Charles and partner John have a rig set up to to screen The Rocky Horror Picture Show.  I've seen the film before, but never with a group of people, so this should be interesting.  

I've got a squirt gun stashed somewhere...

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2004, 11:01:45 AM »

I'm awake (finally) and have taken a shower...which is a good thing.  After breakfast of cereal and soy milk, I have to head out and find some Halloween candy to buy so that I'll have something to hand out to any kiddies that may drop by.  In past years, Albertson's sold coupons for donuts to give out.  The kids loved them because, even though they're getting a coupon and not an actual donut, it's a coupon for an actual donut!  The parents love it because they don't have to worry about the safety it.  They'll go to a major store to get the item and they know it's safe.  It's a win/win situation!  And, if I remember correctly, they were fairly inexpensive, as far as donuts at Albertsons goes.  I'll find out.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2004, 11:02:48 AM »

And if they're out of donut coupons, Alberson's is right next to Costco.  I'm sure that they will still have candy.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 11:05:05 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2004, 11:18:34 AM »

In the past, der Brucer has given out quarters.  Little kids love that.  If a big kid came around with a really great costume, der B would hand out several quarters at once.

Kerry

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2004, 11:23:42 AM »

Lyn purposely bought Halloween candy he knows I don't like so that I wouldn't start eating it before Halloween.  Now, I ask you-- is that fair?
I like boat races.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2004, 11:35:23 AM »

I'm off to the theatre for the day (all day Tech for "The Secret Garden" so will be E&T until tomorrow I think.  The kids are suppose to dress up as long as they can move in their costume and it doesn't take away from them doing what they need to do on stage.  I guess I'll be bringing along the "Bear" costume, whether I'll wear it is another story.  Hopefully, EL Eric will be the Uncle "stand in" when my sister takes my 4-year old neice out tonight.  Hmmm... maybe HE should wear the Bear costume, I think it would be a cold day in hell before that happened.  Have a great, fun day here at HHW.com.  BOO!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2004, 11:43:39 AM »

I'll be dressing as grumpy, world-weary screenwriter with a bad case of poison ivy on his right arm.

When did Halloween become Christmas?  I just pull out Halloween decoration boxes...I have almost as many as I do for Christmas.  All this crap is upstaging my pumpkins.  It must stop!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2004, 11:44:52 AM »

Thanks, DR Emily, for directing me to that site.  Just what I was looking for.

Improv star Kimmy Gatewood's trying to get me to do a gig on Election Night.  I told her I'm too likely to be vomiting.

But, I hasten to point out - that's not a political comment.  I'm nauseous because I'm nervous about the outcome.  And I certainly don't expect the election to be called early in the evening.  But my comment was NOT a prediction that Bush would win and THEN I would vomit to the ground.

I was chatting with a writers' group and some guy was saying he's glad he lives in the west because he doesn't have to wait up all night for the election results.  I asked him: "So, how'd that turn out for you last time round?"
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2004, 11:49:05 AM »

Lyn purposely bought Halloween candy he knows I don't like so that I wouldn't start eating it before Halloween.  Now, I ask you-- is that fair?

My mom did the same thing. Usually, she gets Reese's peanut butter cups and I eat them all. This time she got Milky Ways. I guess she doesn't know that I like Milky Ways too. And so, apparently, does my brother. We're almost out already.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2004, 12:12:01 PM »

Just back from a long walk.  Couldn't ask for a more beautiful day here in the City of Studio - blazing blue skies, warm, but not too hot and I do believe I'll be stepping into the pool in about an hour.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2004, 12:15:25 PM »

I shall now share with you, Dear Readers, the only Halloween joke in my repertoire:

It's Halloween night and a young boy rings a neighbor's doorbell and yells "Trick or treat!" when the neighbor, a kindly woman in her seventies, opens the door.

"Oh my!" says the woman.  "And what are you dressed up as, young man?"

"A pirate!" exclaims the boy, not without a little tone of disdain in his voice over the neighbor's failure to immediately recognize the persona of his carefully created costume.

"Well, if you're a pirate," asks the woman, "where are your buccaneers?"

The boy pauses for a moment, looking at the woman quizzically, and then responds, "On the side of my buccan head!"
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 12:18:10 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2004, 12:21:58 PM »

A reminder, Dear Readers, that groaning is strictly forbidden here at haineshisway.com, the almost most popular website in all of internetdom.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2004, 12:50:20 PM »

I spent a lovely afternoon with ALEXANDER'SRAGTIME BAND. It sounds marvelous and looks almost marvelous. Oh, the picture for the most part is velvety black and white, but there is the most annoying thin white scratch that runs along different portions of the left hand side of the frame for a good deal of the picture. I really found it terribly distracting coming and going as it did.

I think this is the first one of the Fox Movie Classics that I felt had been taken from less than optimum elements. I say, however, that I haven't bought all of them.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2004, 12:57:02 PM »

I have Disc 3 in the CSI set ready to spin when I go back down for the early evening viewing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2004, 01:02:41 PM »

Off to the pool.  I hope I shall be properly scary whilst swimming in my amusing bathing dress.  I shall return shortly.  Today I shall finish watching Love Me Tonight, and then I shall move on to Broadway's Lost Treasures II.

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2004, 01:24:12 PM »

Oh DR WEL, you must tell us about SHE LOVES ME.  This is one of my favorite shows that I have NEVER seen live. :(

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2004, 01:29:16 PM »

So far Halloween Day has been great.  Did some shopping.  Got the candy ready.  Now I just must wait till the kids show up.  Hopefully it won't rain.  It's sort of been windy and looking like it might rain.

I'm not sure what time the kids will come at.  My sis seems to think the kids in her area will start at 5pm.  I know usually here they start at 6pm.  But that was not on a weekend.

Btw, I have not YET eaten any of the halloween candy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2004, 01:31:23 PM »

I'm getting ready to go to a gay club for Hungarian Halloween. (DD and I have been invited by a gay friend of hers.) Will have a full report later.

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2004, 01:32:38 PM »

So what is everybody giving out for Halloween?

I have the chocolate 4 pack (100 bars) of kit kat, smarties, coffee crisp and aero.  And some gum.  And some mini tootsie lollies.

And for decorations I have my lite bright spider pumpkin, an inflatable light up pumpkin in the window (surrounded by orange Halloween lights).   I will also have scary music playing, and I have a glow in the dark frankenstein!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2004, 01:41:02 PM »

I carved a pumpkin. It started off being Arthur. Then it was Groucho Marx. By the time I was done carving it, it was Harry Potter. Last year's pumpkin started off as a bird and ended up as two fencing foils. I'm not so good at carving pumpkins.

So far, we are going to be handing out Milky Ways, but we'll have to see if we have any left by tonight.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

François de Paris

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2004, 02:13:57 PM »

Scary Boo-day to all of you!

From the Donald Duck short:

Trick or Treat
                                  Trick or Treat
                       Trick or Treat for Halloween
                Better give a treat that's good to eat
                     If you want to keep life serene

Trick or Treat (Trick or Treat)
                        Trick or Treat (Trick or Treat)