Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WHO/WHOM  (Read 9872 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: WHO/WHOM
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012, 08:20:52 AM »

I completely agree, John, but I also have to admit I decry the slow dumbification (is that a word?  it should be) of the general populace that plays out in everything from poor grammar to inept spelling.  The internet has only increased the stupidity.  Just yesterday I was noticing how many idiots (technical term) on various Forum boards spell definitely "definately".  My actual pet peeves tend to be with more arcane matters of usage, such as my previously mentioned issue with the silent "t" in "often," and the difference between a quantifiable "fewer" and the more inchoate "less".
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 09:25:18 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 08:23:17 AM »

This is an anal retentive quality I definately ;) inherited from my Mother, who was like the Grammar or Pronunication Nazi.  I still have a letter she received from the Editor of Time back in the 1980's because she eviscerated their incorrect use of skimp/scrimp.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2012, 08:23:57 AM »

The Oregonian repeatedly incorrectly uses "disinterested" to mean "uninterested."

Ben

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2012, 08:24:51 AM »

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2012, 09:03:28 AM »

This morning's viewing is the very strange Passolini "Medea" with Maria Callas and some guy running around without his pants on. That must mean it's Greek. Or something. Or maybe just Passolini.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2012, 09:18:52 AM »

While I understand your point, BK, as someone with an English degree, I must at least offer the opinion that writing grammatically is not necessarily "arch", it's simply being correct.  The easiest way to differentiate between who and whom is that "who" always takes a verb.

English degrees are for people with English degrees - books are written by people and those people have been bending "rules" since the year One and those rules have changed constantly over the years.  What was once looked on as a horrible mistake is now accepted.  And I agree with John G. about the voice of the book.  Anyone can write a grammatically perfect book, but that does not make the book well written or even interesting.  I've been bending rules about everything my whole life.  Some I've bent are now common practice.  Some aren't.  I've been bending grammar rules since book one.  I had three proofers on that one, too, and the comma thing drove me batty and I just refused to do it in certain instances because, for me, the rhythm of the narrator in that book was very specific and I would not allow overdone punctuation to make reading a line that should sail to become herky-jerky thanks to six commas.  Will not do it.  I do the stuff that's important and that makes sense and that doesn't hurt the flow.  And I'm not the only one.

Spelling and laziness are something wholly other and I don't like either.  But some awfully great books have first edition errors that got by proofers - fixed in subsequent editions.  Most recently, J.K. Rowling's books, each and every one, have had blatant errors in them that have been corrected in subsequent printings, making those error copies even more valuable.  East of Eden has an error.  Agee's A Death in the Family has an error.  And on it goes.  You try to catch it all, but sometimes one or two get by the best of proofers.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 09:22:35 AM by bk »

JMK

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2012, 09:22:16 AM »

While I understand your point, BK, as someone with an English degree, I must at least offer the opinion that writing grammatically is not necessarily "arch", it's simply being correct.  The easiest way to differentiate between who and whom is that "who" always takes a verb.

English degrees are for people with English degrees - books are written by people and those people have been bending "rules" since the year One and those rules have changed constantly over the years.  What was once looked on as a horrible mistake is now accepted.  And I agree with John G. about the voice of the book.  Anyone can write a grammatically perfect book, but that does not make the book well written or even interesting.  I've been bending rules about everything my whole life.  Some I've bent are now common practice.  Some aren't.  I've been bending grammar rules since book one.  I had three proofers on that one, too, and the comma thing drove me batty and I just refused to do it in certain instances because, for me, the rhythm of the narrator in that book was very specific and I would not allow overdone punctuation to make reading a line that should sail to become herky-jerky thanks to six commas.  Will not do it.  I do the stuff that's important and that makes sense and that doesn't hurt the flow.  And I'm not the only one.

And you'll note I agreed with both you and John.  I was simply stating that being grammatically correct isn't necessarily being arch.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2012, 09:24:23 AM »

I was up at six, then finally fell back asleep.  I'm very tired but must perk up very soon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2012, 09:34:32 AM »

Whom is tired?  Meem, that's whom.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2012, 09:35:57 AM »

Here is a typical sentence with correct comma placement that would drive me crazy:  Blah, blah blah blah, blah, blah blah blah blah, blah, blah, and blah.

JMK

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2012, 09:43:53 AM »

Here is a typical sentence with correct comma placement that would drive me crazy:  Blah, blah blah blah, blah, blah blah blah blah, blah, blah, and blah.

Oxford comma?   ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2012, 10:12:55 AM »

Oh thanks DR BEN......what a terrific Irving Berlin song.....and I had never heard ANY of the songs in the score until I saw that movie.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2012, 10:17:38 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmm......I had to go order a used copy of MR BK'S Unsung Berlin......I can't believe I don't have that CD set!!!

FJL

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2012, 10:27:21 AM »

Since it wouldn't be a Grammy day without a spoof of the probable big winner (not that that's a good thing)

sadly, with a disclaimer that it was done before news of Whitney Houston's death. :(  Until last night, the big Grammy story was going to be Adele's likely sweep of the awards - and CBS charging megabucks for the commercials because of Adele-mania.

Tune of Adele's ROLLING IN THE DEEP, as if sung by the CBS ad salesmen pushing those $800,000 30-second commercial spots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGh6OqPif0M

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2012, 10:39:52 AM »

Since it wouldn't be a Grammy day without a spoof of the probable big winner (not that that's a good thing)

sadly, with a disclaimer that it was done before news of Whitney Houston's death. :(  Until last night, the big Grammy story was going to be Adele's likely sweep of the awards - and CBS charging megabucks for the commercials because of Adele-mania.

Tune of Adele's ROLLING IN THE DEEP, as if sung by the CBS ad salesmen pushing those $800,000 30-second commercial spots

LOL  FJL!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2012, 10:45:55 AM »

Lay night the Vixter and I went t a local high school production of Sweeney Todd  (NOT a "junior" production)

Their Sweeney was VERY good and the Judge was good - the rest of the cast was OK -  but they really gave it their all -  a very ambitious show for a public high school and I did not notice any censoring

The set was amazing!  there were two  two story  pieces that turned 360 degrees and opened up - the centrpiece of course being the pie shop/barbershop - with a working chair and slide - the bodies went down there and rolled out downstairs  by the oven

It was very impressive  especially for a public high school in a blue collar neighborhood

vixmom

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2012, 10:46:37 AM »

I have a beef stew in the slow cooker - just the thing for a bitter cold day

JMK

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2012, 10:46:39 AM »

Lay night the Vixter and I went t a local high school production of Sweeney Todd  (NOT a "junior" production)

Their Sweeney was VERY good and the Judge was good - the rest of the cast was OK -  but they really gave it their all -  a very ambitious show for a public high school and I did not notice any censoring

The set was amazing!  there were two  two story  pieces that turned 360 degrees and opened up - the centrpiece of course being the pie shop/barbershop - with a working chair and slide - the bodies went down there and rolled out downstairs  by the oven

It was very impressive  especially for a public high school in a blue collar neighborhood

I would think with SWEENEY TODD it would mostly be a red collar neighborhood.  ;)

vixmom

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2012, 10:47:10 AM »

Thought not as cold as  Jennifer's weather by a long shot

vixmom

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2012, 10:48:11 AM »

Thank you  for the MIL vibes -  I just heard from FIL and she is recovering nicely and may be released as early as Wednesday

vixmom

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2012, 10:48:36 AM »

Rapid Recovery Vibes for  John G

vixmom

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2012, 10:49:11 AM »

John - did you or the other John G you know  ever hear more about your breakins?

vixmom

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2012, 10:50:48 AM »

Re the popcorn microwave - tried baking soda and white vinegar  and I have had a box of baking soda standing in there for a week - I mayhave to fgo with Laura's suggestion though I am quite loathe to do it as it is only a year old

vixmom

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2012, 10:51:26 AM »

I would think with SWEENEY TODD it would mostly be a red collar neighborhood.  ;)

I truly laughed  out loud at this JMK!!!

FJL

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2012, 11:05:31 AM »

LOL  FJL!!

Thanks, vixmom.

I find myself surprised at how many of my theater-loving friends don't know Adele and Rolling in the Deep from a hole in the wall.  but then, i was in a fog last week with the Super Bowl, which I thought was just a bookend for a show with Madonna and Cee Lo.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2012, 11:06:04 AM »

Good news from DR VIXMOM.

Very funny DR FJL.....and I am sure it would be even funnier if I knew the original song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2012, 11:08:08 AM »

Here are a couple of inner web suggestions DR VIXMOM.

If the lingering odor is still a problem, there are two methods you can try: coffee and vinegar. We’ll start with the coffee method.
    Coffee is known to absorb odors, so fill the coffee mug or small bowl with about 2 tablespoons of ground coffee and ½ cup of water.
    Set the cup in a small bowl (to catch any overflow as it boils) and place it in the microwave.
    Microwave the coffee on high for about 2 minutes. Be careful when you go to remove it as it will be HOT.
    Repeat as necessary.
    Another odor remover is vinegar. Fill the small bowl about half full of vinegar and place it in the microwave.
    Turn the microwave on and let it heat until it steams.
    Once it has developed a good amount of steam, turn off the microwave and let it set for about 10 minutes.
    Wipe out the microwave with water and a soft cloth.
    There may be a vinegar smell in the microwave, but this will dissipate within a day or two.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2012, 11:19:24 AM »

DR George thank you for the movie review from last night.

FJL

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2012, 11:19:49 AM »

Good news from DR VIXMOM.

Very funny DR FJL.....and I am sure it would be even funnier if I knew the original song.

Thanks, Jrand!     

vixmom

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2012, 11:20:34 AM »

Thank you JRand!   I tried an innerweb search but I must have phrased it incorrectly

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up