Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: DAINTY JUNE  (Read 45462 times)

MBarnum

Re:DAINTY JUNE
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2006, 11:04:37 AM »

The one for kids, of course!   :D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 11:05:00 AM by MBarnum »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2006, 11:04:59 AM »

I was just thinking about that Japanese tea place that you took me to Jose.

Ah, yes, Takashimaya.

However... if you're sweet tooth is still not sated, if you head up and over just a few more blocks on the East Side, you can hit Dylan's Candy Bar for all sorts of goodies - the ice cream sundaes are truly sinful! - and Serendipity 3 for the Frozen Hot Chocolate.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2006, 11:05:53 AM »

How about the place with the Japanese baked goods! OH, that was yummy!

I am having the most wonderful flashbacks of my NY trip, right now.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2006, 11:06:18 AM »

Hmmm...

Lestat closes...
HHW starts having "too many connections" errors...
DR MBarnum starts getting hungry...

Who knows?  Maybe I am to blame?!?!?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2006, 11:07:11 AM »

How about the place with the Japanese baked goods! OH, that was yummy!

I am having the most wonderful flashbacks of my NY trip, right now.

Ah...  Minamoto Kitchoan at Rockefeller Center.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #125 on: June 01, 2006, 11:07:49 AM »

I am becoming that strange little old lady in the forest...

DR PennyO, do you know about THIS book?  Or THESE people?  Or maybe you should read THIS book! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: June 01, 2006, 11:08:04 AM »

OK...  I guess I should get at least one load of laundry done today...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #127 on: June 01, 2006, 11:08:07 AM »

Boo!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

« Reply #128 on: June 01, 2006, 11:11:19 AM »

I just remembered to turnt he page in my calendar.  I am looking at a beautiful picture of the  Tropical Rainforest, Daintree National Park, Queensland, Australia

Thanks Tomovoz!

I also received a beautiful calendar from Tomovoz!  The picture on my calendar, though, is of "The Grotto, The King's Domain, Melbourne."  I have it here at work and many people admire the lovely pictures in it.  Thanks again, from me too!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2006, 11:18:24 AM »

don't forget to take them to the adult toy store.

Condomania

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2006, 11:25:24 AM »

MBarnum - I got Ozu's Good Morning, a Criterion DVD that's one of their worst transfers.  They were out of Floating Weeds and Early something-or-other Spring or Autumn.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2006, 11:25:55 AM »

Had a nice jog, then shaved and am looking quite svelte today, so I think I didn't gain yesterday.

Ginny

« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2006, 11:29:55 AM »

TOD - Here's a book jacket I wish I still had.  My frequently-read copy of the book is a first edition, autographed by the author - having the dust jacket would boost its value significantly, but, to me, it's priceless.

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #133 on: June 01, 2006, 11:41:25 AM »

Tom is keeping the calendar companies in Australia in business. I have a different calendar from the others. I'm looking at a picture of a man surfing in Bondi Bay in Sydney, New South Wales. Looks great!

Ben

« Reply #134 on: June 01, 2006, 11:44:22 AM »

All this talk of Village and Chelsea food is making me hungry but I will stay home tonight and continue working on the notes for a certain CD which some DRs are anxiously awaiting. I also have to (I don't have to but I want to) track out the rest of the CD. Most of the work is done thanks to DR George. He recorded the truncated version for me in December and broke it into 16 tracks. I now have to separate the last 20 minutes into about 9 more tracks. It's easy but time consuming and that, dear readers, is why you haven't received your CDs yet  ;)

MBarnum

« Reply #135 on: June 01, 2006, 11:44:24 AM »

Condomania

LOL! No the one that had toys (Japanese anime models, etc)...we had called it an adult toy store during the tour...and it scared Vixmom, until she realized it was just a toy store for grown-ups who collected toys.

MBarnum

« Reply #136 on: June 01, 2006, 11:46:27 AM »

BK, have you ever seen Criterion's CHUSHINGURA? Now there is a most horrible DVD transfer! But what a wonderful film...and it would be such a beautiful film also if they should ever decide to clean it up and perhaps fix it so it doesn't look like it is out of focus!

I would then buy a copy of it because it was such a good movie!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 11:47:27 AM by MBarnum »

George

« Reply #137 on: June 01, 2006, 11:58:20 AM »

DR George, did you listen to the London SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE yet?  I'm listening to it now.

What do you think?  I like it...I'll have to listen to it several more times to decide how much I like it, but so far, I like it a lot. :)

George

« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2006, 11:58:45 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Nothing in particular comes to mind, but...

....For a couple of weeks, we spent time re-jacketing some of the books.  Most of the time, that just consisted of re-wrapping the dust jackets in that plastic overwrap - the name of which escapes me now.  -I'm sure BK and DRs George and Ginny know the correct name....

Mylar jackets. ;)

George

« Reply #139 on: June 01, 2006, 11:59:03 AM »

Tom is keeping the calendar companies in Australia in business. I have a different calendar from the others. I'm looking at a picture of a man surfing in Bondi Bay in Sydney, New South Wales. Looks great!

I'm jealous.

;)

Ginny

« Reply #140 on: June 01, 2006, 12:02:21 PM »

Mylar jackets. ;)

Here we use the Brodart LifetimeTM Lo-Luster 1.5 Mill Book Jacket Cover.

At home, on paperbacks that we want to protect, I use clear contact paper (which would give a book perservationist apoplexy).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 12:03:57 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #141 on: June 01, 2006, 12:03:40 PM »

My shift is done! I'm going to go talk to my supervisor and then it's off to meet the kids.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #142 on: June 01, 2006, 12:34:49 PM »

I just found out that a man that I used to work with was murdered yesterday.  His body was discovered by his 15 year-old daughter.  He was only 46.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ginny

« Reply #143 on: June 01, 2006, 12:42:05 PM »

Sorry to hear that awful news, DR TCB.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #144 on: June 01, 2006, 12:44:38 PM »

What do you think?  I like it...I'll have to listen to it several more times to decide how much I like it, but so far, I like it a lot. :)

There are two things I dislike.  First, the slo-o-o-o-w tempos.  Some parts--some entire songs--drag on like dirges.  No wonder this recording went to two discs.

I also don't care for Daniel Evans as Act One George.  He has a Scottish accent which get muddied up throughout (especially during the part with the two dogs.)  He has a beautiful voice and I think he's fine as Act Two George, but I don't think he carries off Seurat at all.  (Is Act One George ever referred to as Seurat?  Hmmmm...)

Otherwise, I love Jenna Russell as Dot/Marie.  Not as good of a singer as BP, but she acts the roles much better.

I also like the new orchestrations.  In fact, I like how this entire recording sounds.  I don't know what the technical term is, but it's the "warmest" cast recording I've heard in years.   There's a robust, full-bodied sound overall.

And it's a treat to have the entire score included, though I wish not as much of the spoken dialogue was present (a wish I have for all cast recordings in general.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #145 on: June 01, 2006, 12:44:51 PM »

DR TPunk - The burger place in question is "The Burger Joint".  It's on Bleecker Street @ MacDougal, a block from 6th Ave. (Avenue of the Americas).  *It's also across the street from Porto Rico, that great coffee place.  **And there's also a great Indian "kati roll" place a few doors away.

*Alas, I think the burgers may have gone up from $1.00 to $1.50 for the plain ones.  Still a very tasty bite.

-Need a tour guide?  ;)

Bleecker Street @ MacDougal?  Isn't that the block where the Sullivan Theatre is, or used to be?  That is where THE FANTASTICKS was performed for 374 years (or something like that)
“One thing’s universal,

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #146 on: June 01, 2006, 12:49:04 PM »

Sorry about your bad news, DR TCB.  Even sorrier for the daughter.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #147 on: June 01, 2006, 12:49:29 PM »

Whenever Jose is on the board I get hungry!

I am sure that Jose will be very pleased to read that.
“One thing’s universal,

Jed

« Reply #148 on: June 01, 2006, 01:03:57 PM »

The bay or the surfer?
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: June 01, 2006, 01:05:44 PM »

DR elmore - Any chance you'll be going to see this?

Broadway Spotlight: Donna Lynne Champlin

DR Jose, I've been thinking abouot going.  I love Donna Lynne!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Up