Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: SMELL-O-NOTES  (Read 42741 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:SMELL-O-NOTES
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2007, 07:01:30 AM »

Guess I need to head downstairs now and wait for my friend to arrive so we can visit Hogwarts today.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jason

« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2007, 07:03:10 AM »

This will be my first venture to the Hamptons. And I've lived here for nearly 6 years!

I have no desire to go to Fire Island. It's hard enough to be judged by gay men when you're fully dressed. Who wants the added pressure of having to look good in beachwear, too? There's just something seedy about it...

Today we're going to a rental house that my boss has rented for the summer. It has a private beach. La-ti-dah... She gets a rental house with a private beach and I didn't even make commission this week.

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2007, 07:03:55 AM »

And speaking of Hogwarts, here's a Page Four Dance featuring Hermione, Dumbledore, and Harry in the infirmary.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 07:05:13 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2007, 07:04:54 AM »

DR Jason, I hope you'll give us a full report on the day's activities since, as I say, I'm living vicariously through your experience. Have fun!

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2007, 07:06:11 AM »

Now, I'm REALLY heading down.

WBBL.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2007, 07:11:39 AM »

During my college days, I had an idea for a show in which a musical theatre fan listened to a cast recording.  But in my version, his experience would be layered not only with the staged show, but with what occurred in the recording session.  But like all my good ideas, I never followed up on it.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2007, 07:13:11 AM »

I would much rather see people giving a show a standing ovation than watch the crowd use a curtain call as a way to get a head start to the parking garage.

I didn't know you'd been to Atlanta!

(Actually, they also do this at the symphony, which somehow bothers me even more than during curtain calls...)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2007, 07:16:44 AM »

Congrats to DR Noel on the SUCH GOOD FRIENDS grant!  

And hopefully, we will hear good confirmation news today about THE LAST STARFIGHTER.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2007, 07:16:50 AM »

The undeserved standing ovation.  I think a lot of it has to do with what Stephen Sondheim said about it being connected to the high prices of tickets and that evening out at the theatre is so expensive that people want to think they have been to a significant event and thus they stand for everything.

I also think it has to do with crap like American Idol where they have started standing to applaud and whoop when anyone does a key change in the middle of their "aria".

Of the hundreds of things I've seen in the theatre, I doubt if I 've seen twenty things that deserved a standing ovation.  

A standing ovation should be something spontaneous and uncalculated.

I was talking to someone who was telling me about the cast of a community theatre where the cast was all pissed off because they were not getting the standing ovation they felt they should have every night.  Sorry, but I have never in my life seen a comunity theatre production that deserved a standing ovation.  And when you come to think it's your natural due, sorry.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2007, 07:19:57 AM »

Unfortunately, having worked Rent more times than I ever intended, I've had many an encounter with the theatre groupies. It's unsettling not only to me, but certainly to the performers, who often come out onstage to find people in the front row who are dressed in wild, ridiculous costumes of show merchandise (from which, sadly, my business benefits) if not costumes of the characters themselves! Yes, people do come to the show dressed as Angel, Mimi, Roger... My favorite was the guy who came dressed as Luther Creek as Roger. That's right...he was dressed as an understudy going on in a leading role. Now that's devotion.

Color me antique! I remember the HAIR groupies; they babysat, ran drugs, had sex with all the various casts and drove the stage crew crazy.  At one point there were so many real "hippies" on-, back- and off-stage that audiences and crew had problems with ther body odor and other obectionable smell-o-rama problems!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2007, 07:22:18 AM »

DR Jason, have fun in the Hamptons! My last trip was 1998.  Are you taking the train to Ronkonkoma? Or however the hell you spell it?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2007, 07:24:21 AM »

DR Jane, I love animals, and have a cat named Bella.  She is an old lady now - just turned 17.  :o  Quite beautiful, and very loving.  I will try to attach a photo of her.

Welcome, Julie! We're so happy that you have joined us!

And another cat lover, too! Bella is a beauty!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2007, 07:26:59 AM »

There's even a commedia opera, THE LOVE OF THREE ORANGES, based on the 18th Century Gozzi scenario

Is this the Prokofiev one? I love that music.

Edisaurus

« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2007, 07:29:39 AM »

Just a reminder about another new episode of THE CLOSER coming up tonight at 9 p.m. on TNT. As usual, I can't wait!

Why do I need to cut promos when we have Matt?

Oh---because I need the money to go to NY. THAT'S WHY!

Tonight's episode has French Stewart from 3rd Rock in a very funny role!

Edisaurus

« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2007, 07:34:17 AM »

I also like to stay after a musical to hear the play-out music and applaud the orchestra.  So many people totally ignore the fact that music is even being played.  

The playout music is often some of my favorite music in the show, and it's a shame people miss it. I always stay, too.

So many people left after SISTER ACT, THE MUSICAL after the curtain calls that I took my mom up to watch the players do the playout music (we had great seats, thanks to FJL!) and she really enjoyed seeing how things worked down in the pit.

Julie

« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2007, 07:42:31 AM »

In any case... I'm very "stingy" with my standing ovations.  And I've had more than one person look down at me with that "Why aren't you standing up?" face.  But I also have no problem standing when I feel it is warranted and appropriate

The show I remember in recent years as getting the most consistent mid-performance standing O was The Boy From Oz.  Hugh Jackman consistently got one after Once Before I Go.

Edisaurus

« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2007, 07:44:16 AM »

I'm just glad that the brand of show that attracts these yahoos aren't the type of shows that I would go see a second time (or even a first.)

My thoughts precisely. And I do wonder how these kids can afford to go every night! I'm torn though...I mean, if THE BRAIN had sold-out shows for months on end (even if it were young kids) and people camping out for tickets, I would be happy for bk and all involved!

Julie

« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2007, 07:48:52 AM »

Thanks again to Jose for making our D.C. trip so much smoother with his fine advice.

Thanks from me, too, Jose.  We had a great time on the trip, and appreciate your guidance.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2007, 08:01:38 AM »

Is this the Prokofiev one? I love that music.

How could there be two with that title?  Premiered by the Chicago Lyric Opera, produced by Mary Garden, in a French translation instead of the original Russian text.

Julie

« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2007, 08:04:10 AM »

Bella looks like a real sweetie!  :)

Thanks DR Singdaw.  She's the very best!  Brings me great joy.

Julie

« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2007, 08:06:53 AM »

At least half the time when I stand at the end it's because my view is completely blocked.  At 5' 2" (on a tall day) my view is frequently blocked even when the person in front of me is sitting.

FJL

« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2007, 08:13:37 AM »

ONE TALL DAY IN THE CRYSTAL CITY - that's the name of my essay about seeing the naked Macbeth in the D.C. area

MBarnum

« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2007, 08:15:57 AM »

I am listening to Johnny Desmond. How come I have never come across this guy before? What a swell crooner he is!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 08:16:56 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2007, 08:16:34 AM »

DR Julie, that Bella is a very regal looking cat!

singdaw

« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2007, 08:22:15 AM »

I was going to post a picture of catnip, but since today's board is in SMELL-O-NOTES, I didn't want to drive any visiting kitties crazy...

MBarnum

« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2007, 08:29:54 AM »

Re: standing ovations at the end of a show.

I think the audience has grown to think it is the polite thing to do. I stand in order to see over those who have stood in front of me, plus I would feel rude if I did not stand. However, I only clap if I feel it is deserved. But my feeling is that if others enjoyed it enough to do a standing ovation, well, then that is a good thing. It really does not bother me.

I have not yet seen the standing ovation in the middle of a show, yet, I don't think. Of course I have seen the clapping and whooping when a particular performer comes onto the stage. Another thing that I think the audience has come to believe is the polite thing to do...and has been happening on "filmed before a live audience" television programs since forever.

The whooping and hollering does annoy me. It is bad enough at sporting events, and does not belong at the theater, in my opinion. But it is pry just a generational thing. People over the last 20 years seem to have been conditioned to do that and don't give it a second thought....and it isn't just the kids...the two people in their 50s next to me at Curtains did it when one of the performers (who they were related to) came out on stage.

But, times chance and you roll with the punches.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2007, 08:37:54 AM »

Good morning, HHW!

TOD:
I was always touched and appreciative when I was acting and we received a standing ovation. But I never thought it should be routine, nor do I now. That takes something away from it. Is this trend not a part of the attitude du jour of telling everyone "Good job!" when they've done nothing of any consequence?

I, too, frown on mid-performance ovations, as well as the can't-wait-to-get-outta-here rush to the parking garage.

FJL

« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2007, 08:40:46 AM »

MBarnum - That's one of the problems of getting house seats.  You sometimes end up sittting next to family members of people involved.

And of course, you have to watch what you say when you have house seats - you never know who's sitting near you.  :)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2007, 08:41:03 AM »

I also concur with JRAND's comments that much of this behavior has to do with wanting to belong, to be a part of something.

MBarnum

« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2007, 08:53:52 AM »

JRand56, you TWO TICKETS TO BROADWAY ( the movie that is) will be in the mail today, along with a few other goodies I couldn't resist sending you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up