Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BEATING A HASTY RETREAT  (Read 20596 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BEATING A HASTY RETREAT
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2003, 12:58:13 AM »

We shall laugh and laugh about our posting frenzy and those lazy sleepyheads will RUE the day they weren't here to partake of the partay that was goin' on.  Yes, Viriginia, they will RUE the day.  I am so far gone, so tired, I can't even sleep.  I'm going to take a nice hot shower now, and perhaps this here posting frenzy will still be going on and if it is we shall laugh and laugh.

Jed

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2003, 01:15:21 AM »

Huzzah!  Page 2 before I go to bed... just had to see it happen.  And now I have.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2003, 01:16:24 AM »

We shall laugh and laugh.  I have had my hot shower and soon I will go to sleep.  What a posting frenzy we've had, and there's no reason it shouldn't continue into the wee small hours of the morning.

Jed

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2003, 01:20:57 AM »

Good lord, JRand!  What are you doing up at such an hour on a Saturday morning???

He was logged in when I typed that, really he was!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2003, 01:22:17 AM by Jed »

Tomovoz

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2003, 01:23:23 AM »

My thoughts entirely JRand. Had not of course realised DR Jed but 1979 gave birth to a treasure. Papa Tom must be very proud indeed.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2003, 01:27:32 AM »

Had not of course realised DR Jed but 1979 gave birth to a treasure. Papa Tom must be very proud indeed.

You mean he's got another of us out there? :D

Jed

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2003, 01:30:11 AM »

Goodnight from Washington!  Must get to sleep... another of them Saturday doubles tomorrow.

Michael

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2003, 04:40:27 AM »

Since we are talking about M. Michel Legrand here is a picture of him.

Michel Legrand is one of three composers (who are not usually associated with writing musicals but has done them) who have written some of my favorite songs.

The ones is bold are oscar winners. The ones in italics are nominees.

The Summer Knows (The Theme From The Summer Of 42)
    Which was not written for the film but aftewards

Summer Me, Winter Me (Picasso Summer)

A Piece of Sky (Yentel)

What Are You Doing The Rest of Your Life (The Happy Ending)

The Wind Mills Of Your Mind (Thomas Crown Affair)

How Do You Keep the Music Playing? (Best Friends)

and one should acknowledge that his lyricist on these songs are Marilyn and Alane Bergman. Perhaps his best English language collaborators.

and of all his albums this has to be the worst titled one
Michel Legrand at Shelly Manne's Hole
« Last Edit: December 13, 2003, 04:43:00 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2003, 05:05:36 AM »

I just read that Keiko the star of the film Free Willy died at the age of 26 from Pneumonia in his native Norway. He will be missed.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2003, 05:12:09 AM »

On a happier note Diana Krall married Elvis Costello in London, Ontario.

Never stop dreaming.

Kerry

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2003, 05:15:12 AM »

Favorite LeGrand---

Summer of 42
Picasso Suite
Pieces of Dreams

And if he wrote (with the Bergmans) "If I Were in Love" from that clunker, "Yes, Giorgio," then I would include that.   If he didn't write it, nevermind.

And BK, tell DR MusicGuy hello for me.  I'll be having cold cereal while you guys have pancakes.  :>(

And then it's Doggy story hour today, so I get to read a few books to a bunch of four-legged and two-legged children and adults.  How do I get myself into these things?
I like boat races.

Michael

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2003, 05:15:54 AM »

Things are getting nasty as Mickey Mouse's nephew Roy Disney has launched his own website to get rid of Michael Eisner www.savedisney.com.

From CNN

Roy Disney resigned just over a week ago from the board of the company his uncle Walt co-founded and was followed by ally Stanley Gold, who also stepped down from the board.

"I seek your support as we embark on this extremely important mission to restore the magic and wonder to The Walt Disney Company," Roy Disney wrote on the Web site, which launched early this week, spokesman Clifford Miller said.

Disney and Gold resigned in stinging letters criticizing Eisner's leadership and saying the Disney board had become a rubber stamp for Eisner. They published the letters on the Web site along with their e-mail addresses. Collectively, the two men have received about 2,000 e-mails at the site, said Miller.
Wall Street so far has failed to visibly back Roy Disney, and Disney independent directors have called their quest "destructive," but Miller said large and small investors as well as Disney employees had sent messages of support.

Never stop dreaming.

Kerry

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2003, 05:20:19 AM »

Apparently it was John Williams (with the Bergmans).  No wonder I liked it.  Melissa Manchester sang a beautiful version on the Academy Awards that year.  I'd give anything (even my precious virginity)  ;>) for a recording of her doing that song.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2003, 05:33:13 AM »

Kashi, anyone?
I like boat races.

Michael

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2003, 05:44:56 AM »

Never stop dreaming.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2003, 05:53:52 AM »

If Jed becomes TCB in the future, shouldn't he be playing Clarabell by now?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2003, 06:53:42 AM »

Yes, bk, I hope you're GREATLY enjoying your laugh because I just about had a heart attack when I logged on and saw there were 45 posts for today already. Usually there are 10-15, so it was a great shock, and I was sure something was wrong like the website closing down or something. Glad it was JUST a posting frenzy.

I guess I'm not a great fan of Legrand. I like "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life" OK, and I've never seen THE YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT which might have music in it I like. I just ordered UMBRELLAS on DVD to add to my musical collection since I haven't seen it in 30 years and hearing those melodies again may spark a new chord of admiration for him. We'll see.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2003, 06:55:15 AM »

I've said it before but I'll say it again. It is WEIRD being the only one here!

td

• td
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2003, 07:19:32 AM »

I've said it before but I'll say it again. It is WEIRD being the only one here!

No, love, you're not alone. . .

No one is alone. . .

I'll go my way by myself. . .

et cetera et cetera and so forth.

MICHEL LEGRAND SONGS:

Penny by Penny is one of his best latter day compositions, and BK should know: he included it on an album!

Watch What Happens: the way that it is used throughout THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBORG is astonishing.

The Windmills of Your Mind
What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life?
Pieces of Dreams
A Piece of Sky

. . .and did I mention yesterday that 1979's Oscar winner for Best Song is my own personal favorite Oscar winning song?  I do believe that I did.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2003, 07:25:22 AM »

Thank you, DR td, for keeping me company. But I PROMISE there was no one else in the forum when I posted those words. It's disconcerting to log on here and not find someone lurking if not posting.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2003, 07:33:55 AM »

I haz joined the party!  TD, and Matt H., shall we dance?
 :P

I'm at work, as I usually am on a Saturday morning.  I actually DO intend to get some studying done for my finals, but I wanted to post first.

I looove the topic du jour cause I loooove Legrand.  Who am I kidding?  Being the Francophile I am, I love most French music, but what an enchanting melodist he is.

Favorites:
the entire score of "Les Parapluies de Cherbourg"
The Windmills of Your Mind
The Summer Knows (to me, Patricia Kaas and Nancy La Mott do the definitive versions)
Other People's Stories
Amour
AND
The Whore's Lament (the last 3 being from "Amour")

So, fellows, what shall we dance?  A jig, a waltz, a tango, a charleston?

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2003, 07:36:37 AM »

Oh, and I think it's totally cool that Elvis Costello and Diana Krall got married!  I've always thought he had a kind of prickly sex appeal...and Diana is always so pretty and elegant.

Would love to hear more of their collaborations!

Ummm...reading that again, I think I should be more careful in choosing adjectives to describe Elvis Costello's sex appeal....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2003, 07:38:18 AM by Maya »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2003, 07:44:22 AM »

You can say "I told you so," bk, because I for one am RUING the day I wasn't part of the posting frenzy. And I was up, too. But it never occurred to me to check out HHW and post (or frenzy).

I think all my favorite Michel Legrand songs have been mentioned, so that's that.

As for Patty Duke, the album sounds great (well - it doesn't and that's why it is). But all this talk of Ms. Duke brings to mind an incident which proves that certain drugs do work. As those of you who read Ms. Duke's excellent autobiography, CALL ME ANNA, know, she suffered from bipolar disorder and was quite a handful until she was properly diagnosed and prescribed the right dosage of the right medications. After that she became a fully functioning human being and a nice one, too. (BTW - I have no idea how she is these days, as what I'm about to relate happened at least ten years ago.) My then husband and I wrote a movie for CBS in which she starred and my then husband produced. He told me the following story: It was a really difficult shoot. Terrible weather, uncomfortable locations in small-town British Columbia, long days and freezing nights, etc. One of the co-stars, a highly strung Canadian actress, was having trouble with her lines. Late one night, after she had blown several takes in an emotional scene with Patty, Ms. Duke went over to her and kindly said, "Would you like me to help you run lines?" At which point the highly strung Canadian actress replied with (avert your eyes, children) "F...k off, you c...t!"  My then husband happened to be in the vicinity and got ready for the explosion and the end of the shoot (and the free world) for the night. But to his utter amazement, Ms. Duke just calmly  walked away.
To this day I have a lovely silk scarf that my then husband gratefully bought for Ms. Duke and forgot to give to her. (My then husband was the forgetful type.) I call it my Patty Duke Scarf - clever little me.
That's my story of the day, folks. You can call me the Rueful (see the beginning of this LONG post) Story Lady. That's me. RSL.
Enjoy your pancakes, bk and MusicGuy!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2003, 08:53:14 AM »

And now I am the only one here.  And we gave everyone such a good start, but noooooooooo, everyone must go do other things on Saturday, just because it's the Christmas season and there are things to be done.  Well, they will RUE the day.

Obviously MattH doesn't have his Guy Haines CD or he would know that the beautiful You Must Believe in Spring is from Rochefort.  Rochefort is filled with wonderful tunes, as is Cherbourg, as are all his scores and songs written for Mr. Demy.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2003, 09:21:16 AM »

How can we discuss LeGrande and not mention AMOUR (especially the original French version)?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2003, 09:44:26 AM »

WELL....I had an early reply, but when I hit post, the picture that I had included I guess had been attached twice...anyway it said something about file already named....and when I hit "back" to correct it, GONE!!!  All gone....   Ted.....Anne....Jennifer.....Mel...NEELY.....NEEL Y O'HARA..............

I was up early to go to WalMart at 3 a.m. with my sister Molly...home at 4:20 a.m. back to WalMart with my Mom....home at 5:35...off to Kroger home by 6:15!  Whew!

Anyway....MR BK you must get PATTY DUKE TEEN STAR on the Unart label.  Miss Patty sings DOWNTOWN, WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW IS LOVE, and SAVE YOUR HEART FOR ME.  The arrangements are nice....but it is indeed "the excited voice of Patty Duke!"  Although any of her albums hold special surprises!

A review of her VOD album:

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/cd/review.asp?aid=R++++61407&cf=1365780

A review of TV'S TEEN STAR

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/cd/review.asp?aid=R++++61407&cf=1365780

Thanks for the story DRPanni.  I love your stories of the rich and famous!

And TOTD - "The Summer Knows" is my favorite Legrand song....THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURGH my favorite score.  I am also partial to LE MANS, the TV movie THE JESSE OWENS STORY, and A MATTER OF INNOCENCE in which Ms Hayley Mills kisses Mr Sashi Kapoor!  

« Last Edit: December 13, 2003, 09:46:35 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2003, 09:45:32 AM »

I mentioned "Amour," WEL.

Absolutely gorgeous score.  Though a few of the lyrics are a little too clever for their own good, and twee (I like that word..TWEE).

I mean, rhyming Montmartre and Sinatra???
« Last Edit: December 13, 2003, 09:47:28 AM by Maya »

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2003, 09:55:52 AM »

Jrand53...Walmart at 3:00 am! You are a glutton for punishment! Are they open 24 hours a day now or did I miss a really good sale!

Today is my big birthday bash (even though my birthday was on the 10th). My sister is throwing it and family and friends will be in attendance! But first I am helping my lovely niece Katie pick out a wedding dress for her spring nuptials! Uncle Mike is paying for it (the dress, not the wedding)...now to polish up my credit card! Yikes!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2003, 09:57:51 AM »

Good morning all.
I attempted to get up at 8 and study for finals...but my brain would have none of that, so I promptly went back to sleep until 9:30. which is a much seemlier (is that a word?) hour to arise on a Saturday morning.  This morning I am going to get contacts.  This makes me very very happy.  If you ever saw a picture of me wearing glasses, you would know why.  (Stop laughing, Jed)  As a result I've been walking around for the last 5 years (a JRB reference) basically blind as a bat.  That all changes today.  Oh happy day.  Then I shall be studying all the live long day for my archaeology final and my art history final, both of which happen on Monday.  Ack!!!  I've put this off for too long...it's gonna be a hellish weekend.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2003, 10:04:40 AM »

But first I am helping my lovely niece Katie pick out a wedding dress for her spring nuptials! Uncle Mike is paying for it (the dress, not the wedding)...now to polish up my credit card! Yikes!

Just a hunch, but I'm betting Katie just adores her dashing uncle Mike.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up